Menu

What popular movies bug you?

Another Avatar and Titanic anti-fan here (though we were smart enough to not watch Titanic).

I also fully agree with those that dislike any form of adultery. We won't spend our money to watch any films that glorify this.

I love clean comedies (so hard to find these) and original films (ditto). We also love escapism like Jurassic Park or Jumangi or special effects films like 2012 (NOT for the plot on those, just the special effects scenes). Right off hand, Secondhand Lions and Chicken Run come to mind as some others we liked. King Kong (latest one) comes to mind as one we disliked that hasn't been mentioned yet - too long, predictable, and boring.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an avid Titanic-hater.

I just can't stand Leonardo in any adult role. He appears to me half-grown and it grosses me out to see him in any loves scenes. However, I loved him in Gilbert Grape.

Also hated:

Footloose

Ghost

Dirty Dancing

Pretty Woman

The Firm

Steel Magnolias was okay in spite of Julia Roberts TERRIBLE accent.

I avoid "Chick-Flicks" as they are full of unrealistic, overly romanticized portrayals of relationships. I tried to sit through Ella Enchanted, but I couldn't keep my wise cracks and eye rolls to a minimum and had to leave the room.

I love foreign films. The portrayal of relationships are far more complex, interesting and realistic.

I just can't stand Leonardo in any adult role. He appears to me half-grown and it grosses me out to see him in any loves scenes. ...

I love foreign films. The portrayal of relationships are far more complex' date=' interesting and realistic.[/quote']

Don't you find that there are many overly boyish actors in American films, and NOT in other countries'?

Somewhat relatedly, there has been someone running a personal ad in my local monthly news paper for what seems like 2+ years. He describes himself as "boyish, beareded 50 year old" -- I keep wanting to write him and tell him how disconcerting that sounds.

I know several conservative christian woman that love Dirty Dancing. I watched it and couldn't find any redeeming value in it. It is all about promiscuity and illegal abortion. No thanks.

I recently re-watched this and I was SHOCKED. I watched it as a teen and LOVED it. I probably saw it 10 times. But as a parent and a believer. Wow. There was nothing redeeming.

Also strongly second AI. Such a horrible, sad, heart-wrenching waste.

I had totally forgot about this movie. I was disturbed for weeks after watching it. :blink:

Who are Elinor and Marianne?

:svengo: You don't know Elinor and Marianne :svengo: We are all about Jane Austen around here, even with our friends. We frequently call each other by a Jane Austen character for fun. Our teen girls adore the books and movies.

I'm going to pick myself up off the floor now :lol: And you need to find a copy of "Sense and Sensibility" to watch :D

Forest Gump, Moulin Rouge (sp?), any and all horror movies and any and all movies that I feel blatantly emotionally manipulate me to cry. Can't stand any Nicholas Sparks books or movies. Hated P.S. I Love You. Really don't like "stupid" humor that seems to have begun with Jim Carrey and such like him. Usually my preferred movies are mystery, whodunnit and light date/girl movies.

Don't you find that there are many overly boyish actors in American films, and NOT in other countries'?

This is exactly how I feel about Tom Cruise. I can't stand to watch him in anything, but especially love scenes. It just feels icky to me. I've only recently been able to take Brad Pitt seriously for the same reason. I guess Angelina and all the kids have had a maturing effect on him. :D

I much prefer actors like Russell Crowe, Gerard Butler, and Hugh Jackman who look like they've been around a bit. ;)

Somewhat relatedly, there has been someone running a personal ad in my local monthly news paper for what seems like 2+ years. He describes himself as "boyish, beareded 50 year old" -- I keep wanting to write him and tell him how disconcerting that sounds.

You may have hit on something. More evidence of our youth-worshiping culture I guess. At some point, these guys resemble prepubescent children with their shiny, hairless torsos and bellies. I just feel uncomfortable watching them in romantic roles. Boyish good looks belong to boys, not men.

I am not being offensive, I'm just quoting the Blockbuster clerk: "Avatar is Pocahontas in space." I laughed all the way home... (I'm assuming me meant the awful movie; I hope he wasn't making light of the real and not-so-honorable history). I kept thinking that it was also another flavor of Dances with Wolves (which I loved, because it was SUBTLE and not obvious...there were moral questions and dilemmas...the people on all sides of the issue were imperfect and had good points).

SPOILER: I knew NOTHING about this movie before we popped it in other than TV ads and very high level knowledge about corporate greed run amok (I half expected to see a guy in a black cape, twirling his mustache and mwahahahaha-ing - they exchanged white hats for blue skin and black hats for ABUs). Even I could tell from about 10 minutes in that Jake was going to BECOME a blue guy (I can't remember what they were called...). DH thought that their tribal life was just a huge ripoff of African and Native American culture, too...

It is even closer to Fern Gully or Atlantis right down to some characters that were practically identical.

I can't stand predictable, insipid love stories... so, anything by Nicholas Sparks is out of the question for me - for that matter, so are most romantic comedies (anything starring Drew Barrymore; Jennifer Aniston (except for Office Space, loved that one; etc.).

As for Titanic, it still drives me crazy that, at the end, the old Rose threw the diamond back into the sea. Hello? What about the poor guy she just told her miserable life story to? His life's work has been spent searching for that stupid rock, she knows it, then just tosses it into the ocean with a "eee" sound. Nope. Hate it!

I, however, can't get enough of war flicks (Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, etc.), mob movies (Goodfellas, Godfather trilogy), and Cohen brothers' movies (Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, etc.).

I can't stand predictable, insipid love stories... so, anything by Nicholas Sparks is out of the question for me - for that matter, so are most romantic comedies (anything starring Drew Barrymore; Jennifer Aniston (except for Office Space, loved that one; etc.).

As for Titanic, it still drives me crazy that, at the end, the old Rose threw the diamond back into the sea. Hello? What about the poor guy she just told her miserable life story to? His life's work has been spent searching for that stupid rock, she knows it, then just tosses it into the ocean with a "eee" sound. Nope. Hate it!

I, however, can't get enough of war flicks (Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, etc.), mob movies (Goodfellas, Godfather trilogy), and Cohen brothers' movies (Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, etc.).

Wow, we have the same taste in movies. :tongue_smilie:

Most chick flicks. One in particular though: Serendipity!

Guy meets girl in the city and they have an awesome, spur of the moment date. At the end of the date she gives him her phone #, which a passing gust of wind causes to be blown from his hand. Instead of kindly giving him her number again, she says "Nothing is an accident" (or some other type of tripe) and writes her # on the inside cover of a book that she says she'll donate to a book store, and if he finds it then they're "Meant to be!" :rolleyes:

Of course 10 years pass and they're both happily engaged to other people, when suddenly the poor guy finds the book, finds the girl, and they both ditch their fiancees whom they've supposedly been with for a few YEARS to be with someone they spent a few HOURS with 10 years ago! Dumb dumb dumb dumb!

Seven Pounds -

As a former RN who worked with kidney transplant patients, I thought that movie was ridiculous.

Knowing - ?huh?

The Scarlett Letter - with Demi Moore - WHAT???? Hester Prynne drives off in the sunset with Rev. Dimsdale?????

100% agree on all of these. Blah.

• I like this thread. :)

• I like the Nicholas Sparks bashing.

• Oh, of all the movies off the top of my head which are annoying (contenders: The Notebook ("Be a bird, Noah!"), Nights In Rodanthe, English Patient, Titanic, Something's Gotta Give, The Breakup, How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, American Beauty, The Big Chill, Dan In Real Life, Divine Secrets Of The Ya Ya Sisterhood, Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants, ), the winner, still by a mile, is ... JUNO.

for that matter, so are most romantic comedies (anything starring Drew Barrymore; Jennifer Aniston

I saw one awful movie with Jennifer Aniston -- I can remember neither the plot nor the name....I got the impression the movie was more about her hair than anything else.

I know several conservative christian woman that love Dirty Dancing. I watched it and coudn't find any redeeming value in it. It is all about promiscuity and illegal abortion. No thanks.

Iiick! No kidding!!! I had to sit through that darn movie many times because all my friends loved it.

Wow, we have the same taste in movies. :tongue_smilie:

Me, too! We should have a movie night! Do y'all like Merlot? ;)

I had totally forgot about this movie. I was disturbed for weeks after watching it. :blink:

:svengo: You don't know Elinor and Marianne :svengo: We are all about Jane Austen around here, even with our friends. We frequently call each other by a Jane Austen character for fun. Our teen girls adore the books and movies.

I'm going to pick myself up off the floor now :lol: And you need to find a copy of "Sense and Sensibility" to watch :D

Yes, pick yourself up, or allow me to help you, and then you can smack me silly. I knew that was coming since so many of you mention E & M.

There are just some classics that I haven't read or watched. I'm sorry!

I don't like adultery movies either. Not into chick flicks either, but unfortunately I have suffered through a few of the Bourne movies, always LoTR, and I don't necessarily like Tom Cruise but have found the psychology of the MI movies well.....SCARY! And it's good to be scared, right?

Sick of end of the world movies, Knowing and 2012.

Extremely disappointed in the X Files movie almost 2 years ago.:thumbdown:

Yes, pick yourself up, or allow me to help you, and then you can smack me silly. I knew that was coming since so many of you mention E & M.

There are just some classics that I haven't read or watched. I'm sorry!

I don't like adultery movies either. Not into chick flicks either, but unfortunately I have suffered through a few of the Bourne movies, always LoTR, and I don't necessarily like Tom Cruise but have found the psychology of the MI movies well.....SCARY! And it's good to be scared, right?

Sick of end of the world movies, Knowing and 2012.

Extremely disappointed in the X Files movie almost 2 years ago.:thumbdown:

I'm also not a big Tom Cruise fan and I really don't like vampire movies. Put the 2 together...Interview with a Vampire. Hated it!

There are several recent movies I have loved. I don't watch movies to often now but when DH and I got married it was a regular VCR rental weekend:D

But my all time hated movie Pulp Fiction

It was the movie in its day. I watched and still just didn't get it:confused:

So does anyone want to explain why is was so great and what was the plot

Avatar. And it's HUGE right now. I have no desire to see it and everytime someone finds out I haven't yet seen it, they go crazy. It's like a cult! :D The storyline is simply too emotional. My dd17 saw it first and suggested I skip it. She told me some things and they made me cringe. Aieee! So no, I don't care how good or popular it is, I don't want to watch it.

The same goes for the Twilight series as well. I don't like the storyline, have no desire to watch the movies, and get tired of people telling me I should watch it because I'll love it.

But a movie I just HATED was Mrs. Doubtfire. I usually like Robin Williams, and I started to like the movie, but about halfway through it my mental lens shifted. His wife (played by Sallie Field, another actor I like a lot) was not a horrible person or a b*tch. She was RESPONSIBLE. And he was NOT. She was not a no fun mom. He was a child himself in his behavior--wouldn't work, wouldn't take good care of the kids, completely and utterly self-centered.

And when he tried to get custody rights, it was All About Him and His Feelings, not about how the children needed to know their father. Self-centered and irresponsible.

I started to get so angry partway through the film that I just could hardly stand it.

I hate movies that romanticize adultery. Can't think of any off-hand, but there are so many! I am also bugged by premarital sex--like it's no big deal to have sex, it's just recreation and expected.

IDK--I'm such a fuddy duddy when it comes to relationships.

:iagree:

And although it's been really popular for a long time, Grease bugs me becuase instead of the good girl standing her ground and insisting that the bad boy change his ways if he wants to be with her, she changes to be with him. Not a good message to young girls, IMO. Did you know that Marie Osmond was offered the role of Sandy, but turned it down because she did not like that Sandy had to "turn bad" to get the boy. I applaud her for standing firm in her convictions!

Edited by ereks mom

Titanic - I felt like I was being emotionally manipulated the entire time. It didn't help that the tweens behind me were swooning and crying in turns the whole movie.

Avatar - watched this on Saturday night for the first (and probably last) time. I felt the same way that I did about Titanic... (Avatar prompted my memories of Titanic...)

I like emotionally evocative movies, but not emotionally manipulative ones.

I also HATED Legends of the Fall - everyone who tried to do the right thing had bad things happen to them. Those who did wrong were glorified.

I have not seen Avatar (I just can't make myself) but Legends of the Fall was just AWFUL as was Titanic.

I like your movies.

Raising Arizona is one of my favorites.

Nicholas Sparks books and movies! Ick! I know I'm only repeating what's been said over and over already, but what is it about adultery that is supposed to be so romantic?

I also detest most "romantic" comedies where the characters fall into bed almost the very moment they realize they belong together. Really? Is this really the basis of a strong relationship?

I also dislike movies that include lots of bad behavior with no real consequences. Like most teen movies. I'm always thinking, where ARE the parents?? I actually really liked Juno though. :D

I cannot stand Dumb movies. Most Jim Carrey, like another poster said, most SNL alumni movies, yes even ELF. Ugh, everyone I know loves that movie, so I end up having to tolerate it at least once each Christmas! Blech. Some of these movies have storylines that could have been interesting, like 50 First Dates had potential, and Adam Sandler's awful, womanizing, crude friend had to ruin it!

One last rant (obviously this touched a nerve for me!), I cannot stand movie sequels that rehash the same exact jokes from the original movie. For example, I loved Pirates of the Carribean. But I hated the sequel. Well except for the scenes with Captain Sparrow captured by the cannibals, but that is because it was original to the second movie and funny in it's own right. But the rest of the movie was a rehash of the first, repeating all the jokes, expecting us to laugh again. Definitely a pet peeve of mine!

My list would probably be even longer if it weren't for Clearplay. My boys absolutely love all the superhero/Star Wars/Indiana Jones movies, but they'd almost all be unwatchable for them without Clearplay. I love being able to eliminate all sexual references, bad language, blasphemy and to tone down the violence to slapstick level. :D Now they just need to come out with a Blu-ray player to stay relevant!

I hate movies that romanticize adultery. Can't think of any off-hand, but there are so many! I am also bugged by premarital sex--like it's no big deal to have sex, it's just recreation and expected.

IDK--I'm such a fuddy duddy when it comes to relationships.

I'm becoming more fuddy duddy in my old age too.

Up in the Air and Atonement recently.

Four Weddings and a Funeral. When it first came out, we thought it was fun. And I loved the WH Auden poem. When I saw it again about a year ago, I was so turned off. Andie McDowell's character (besides the fact that the poor girl just can. not. act) is an amoral jerk.

Anything Nicholas Sparks, Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey, Renee Zellweger (mostly).

Accidentally saw He's just not that into You, Knocked Up. :tongue_smilie:

Dh and I are renting those funny old movies like Jason and the Argonauts to show the boys, Michelle.

The Blind Side was great.

Marley and Me was like that for us. Dh and I both hated that movie.

I also felt that way a bit after Blind Side. I expected more conflict, less predictability.

I'm reading the book Blind Side right now. Lewis is a good writer and I knew there was more to the story. Of course they Hollywoodized it.

Dh and I really appreciated a decent movie for once. :001_smile:

eta: Meant to add, you're right, the Hollywood version is very linear.

Edited by lovemyboys

The Twilight movies have sucked so far, which is why we only watch them with Riff Trax.

I have to agree about the Twilight movies (we Netflixed them). Holy crow, are they bad. The two main characters are horrifying actors. I didn't think Robert Pattinson could possibly be that poor an actor, and I'm not sure he's altogether terrible, but - wow. I watched the first movie before I read the book and thought it was just awful. Then I read the book, enjoyed the book, and watched the movie again - still bad. :lol:

I HATED "Titanic" too. What a horrible movie. I just could not get over the whole "love at first sight, who cares if I'm already engaged" thing. Plus the scene with all the dead people in the water... ick, ick, ick.

I have pretty strict rules about the movies I watch. I don't like a lot of gratuitous violence, nothing bad can happen to children, and there must be a happy ending. I really did not like "Good Will Hunting" for that stupid ending-that-wasn't. Hence, I don't see many movies, LOL!

I wanted to like "Love Actually," and probably would have if it hadn't been for the language. There was a lot of weird stuff in there too (like the body doubles for the porn movie) but it was, I think, an interesting movie and I like Hugh Grant. I just remember sitting there in the theater with my mouth hanging open as I listened to the f-bomb get dropped constantly.

I cannot stand Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. Pitt was all right in the Oceans movies, and otherwise, both his movies and his acting are terrible. Tom Cruise ruined "Interview with a Vampire" generally irritates me. I also cannot tolerate Nicolas Cage. He is a terrible actor and has ruined many movies that would have otherwise been good, I think, like "National Treasure" and "The Sorcerer's Apprentice." I saw NT, thought he was completely implausible as an idealistic patriot, and have not seen SA because I am pretty sure I would not be able to sit through it after seeing the previews.

I also hate Kevin Costner. He just cannot act. I have a good friend who says he plays the same character in every movie - Ray Kinsella from "Field of Dreams." I loved his version of "Robin Hood," but only because the rest of the cast was excellent.

Oh, I could go on and on here! Thanks for posting a question about movies so I could rant a bit. :D