Menu

I've never heard of ..... until I began homeschooling ...

I heard of people doing some of these things (e.g. not using shampoo) on other message boards.

However, some things (like not using toilet paper) I'd known about or were obvious from other life experiences. (Given that 1/5 of the world's population doesn't have access to ANY toilet whatsoever, and I knew a large portion of the world's populations clean themselves with water (from the bidet to lower-tech alternatives), none of that was a surprise. Maybe just that people talk about it so much!)

Homeschooling variations, on the other hand, were more eye-opening, since I only know a few homeschoolers in real life, and they rarely discuss these things and tend to used boxed curriculum.

All those and someone mentioned Gilgamesh. :)

I've always been active on forums of some kind or another, I love seeing different perspectives and viewpoints. On these WTM forums, I learned particularly different religious viewpoints.

I knew about all those before I started homeschooling but I grew up in a very conservative crowd & hubby is a teacher (thus phonograms, mastery/spiral).

So things I've never known but now do...

Well Trained Mind

neopagan

Charlotte Mason

twaddle

patriarchal movement

quiverful

unschooling

lol - I'd heard of that one because I'm one of THOSE people. Actually,

I keep meaning to do it but mine is still in the freezer almost 12 yrs later :lol:

LOL Me two. My oldest was born at home (He's 21). It took us 7 years to 'use' it. It was in my freezer all that time. lol

PS. All my kids were born at home, but the oldest had the longest frozen placenta. The youngest was 3 when she choose a shrub and helped plant it all (actually an old -time hydrangea).

Edited by LibraryLover

lol - I'd heard of that one because I'm one of THOSE people. Actually,

I keep meaning to do it but mine is still in the freezer almost 12 yrs later :lol:

Oh, I'm so thankful I'm not alone! My son's placenta has been in the freezer for almost 5 yrs. I've had to tell my kids a number of times that there's no ice cream in that tub. :lol:

Just the other day I learned here on WTM that there are people who believe dinosaurs never existed. That was a new one for me!

I hadn't heard of most of these things/people that have already been mentioned, but also:

~ diagramming sentences

~ shows like Liberty's Kids and Drive-Thru History

~ Vacation Bible School (seriously, I had no idea such a thing existed)

~ support groups for homeschooling parents (didn't know about these until my third year of hsing)

~ most classic literature

~ particular days with free admission at various museums, the zoo, etc.

~ the wonderful treasures that are hiding in thrift stores

:001_smile:

~ Vacation Bible School (seriously, I had no idea such a thing existed)

:001_smile:

Oh good! I wasn't the only one!

I heard about VBS before homeschooling, but I was over 30 years old when I first heard about it. Everyone at the new (big) church I was attending kept talking about VBS and I kept wondering what they were talking about.

I'd only ever been to an itty bitty church before moving where I am now.

Just for clarification, Christian submission is based on Christ's example (see Philippians 2) not religion.

Okay, to clarify what I meant earlier. The only time I thought of wife/husband submission was on the made for tv movies showing controlling/abusive relationships.

I had never heard that the Bible or that God wanted a wife to be submissive.

I have to say that the diva cup was the biggie for me. Although, the "not believing in dinosaurs" thread was new for me, too...

I'm drawing a blank right now, but it seems there's something new (at least to me!) quite often on the WTM. I love it! :001_smile:

"chapter books":001_huh:

The Pearls

"cottage industries" (Gregg Harris and Mary Pride were big proponents)

grain mills and Bosch

denim jumpers :lol:

"curriculum" (and I didn't even know that word until I had been hsing over a year)

Creationism - Old/Young Earth

The Pearl's

Spiral/mastery approach

Phonograms

Key word outlines

Marriage/wife submission

How about you? ;)

All of those. I didn't know I was "secular" either, cos it's just normal in my world :) The dating courtship thing was new to me too.