Menu

Time to play "What's on your Nightstand"

It's the last Tuesday of the month which means it is time for What's On Your Nightstand hosted by 5 minutes for Books. My TBR pile overfloweth and I have instituted a buying ban until I've whittled the pile down a bit. Do you want to see my whole list - then look here. I finally decided to organize it by genre, instead of just one long list. Sometimes I'm in the mood for sci fi, other times mystery or occasionally a non fiction read. So I split up the list and we'll see how long that works. I've been picking books out by using Random.org because they all look so good and I just can't make up my mind. I even put their nifty widget in my sidebar.

What's on my reading plate for this month? I just started The Bible of Clay by Julia Navarro which is a biblical historical and archaeological thriller wrapped up in one. A famous archeologist's grand daughter is searching for cuneiform tables which are said to have the first book of Genesis written on them by a young scribe in the time of Abraham. The problem, they are somewhere in Iraq and it's just days away from the start of the Iraq invasion.

Monday, March 1st is the start of my Nobel Literature class and the first book we will be reading and analyzing is "Nausea" by Jean Paul Sartre. This will be an interesting experience dipping into Sartre's existentialistic writings.

My classic read for the month will be an old historical fiction novel that's be on our shelves for a while: Stargazer: A Novel of the Life of Galileo by Zsolt De Haranyi.

During Lent I am reading Pope Benedict's The Apostles. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Jesus of Nazareth which was very enlightening and educational, so looking forward to what he has to say about the apostles.

For my Mind Voyages science fiction challenge, I will be reading two more Hugo winners: "To Your Scattered Bodies Go" by Philip Jose Farmer (1972 Hugo) and "Fahrenheit 451" (1954 Hugo) by Ray Bradbury.

And since I love mysteries and thrillers, I'll be rounding out my reading month with Lethal Harvest (a medical thriller) by William Cutrer, Untraceable by Laura Griffin, author of the Borderline Series which I thoroughly enjoyed. Also J.T. Ellison's Judas Kiss and her newest psychological thriller The Cold Room. It's supposed to be scary, creepy, chilling good.

What's on your reading plate for this month?

Well I don't have a nightstand as I am still sleeping on the couch, however I do have a stack going on the cubbies in the livingroom. Currently I am reading A case for Classical Education and Teaching the Trivium (going back and forth between them), The no cry sleep solution for toddlers and preschools, Only takes a moment by Mary Jane Clark.

At the top of my TBR pile is Last child in the Woods, Hold onto your kids, Do Hard things and I kissed dating good bye (prereading both before giving to the older kids). As well as the full series of Harper Connelly and Aurora books by Charlaine Harris(almost all came in at the library today)

"E=mc squared," because I so desperately am trying to understand modern physics.

Two books in the Star Trek series my daughter is insisting that I read.

Going to the library today for more.

I'm on a self-imposed book-buying moratorium until I finish the following:

Physics for Future Presidents (Richard A. Muller)

Doctor Zhivago (Boris Pasternak)

Stones Into Schools (Greg Mortenson)

A Beautiful Blue Death (Charles Finch)

Fire in the Blood (Irene Nemirovsky)

Worse Than War (Daniel Jonah Goldhagen)

It's gonna take a while...

For my fun reading, I just started "Shanghai Girls" by Lisa See, and also am re-reading "Pocketful of Pinecones" by Karen Andreola. I also have a few older Old Schoolhouse, my current Health, and have pulled out "Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden". I did have my "Charlotte Mason Companion" , but just lent it out.

I'm currently reading 3 books also:

I expect to finish #1 & #2 this week. There's waaay too many on my TBR pile to recount, but by the time I finish these I'll likely want something a bit lighter/more cheerful. A week or so ago I started Diary of a Provincial Lady, so perhaps I'll finish that.

Let's see:

From one of the last times you posed this question:

The Second Mayflower

The Doctines of Grace

I had to return Don Quixote (yet again ) &

The Greatest Show (although I had read 2/3 of it)

Currently I am reading:

The Magician's Nephew (for a class I'm tutoring)

Darwin on Trial

Number the Stars (for next week's class)

Oh, and there is a Far Side Gallery for 'light' reading. ;)

This is what I am supposed to be reading next/soon:

The Invisible Wall, by Harry Bernstein

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes, by Diane Chamberlain

The Blind Side, by Michael Lewis

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by JK Rowling

... and we're still working on Johnny Tremain, by Esther Forbes, for our read-aloud.

Mine is a bit of a mixed bag right now. A tall mixed bag that DH thinks is going to fall over and squish me in my sleep;

The Help- Just finished last night

The Zookeeper's Wife- slow going due to writing style

The Last Lecture- starting tonight

These three are for my book club.

Huck Finn

Caddie Woodlawn

Listen to the Wind

Each of these is a book one of my kids is currently reading & I like to read along.

Sarah- Historical Fiction about the wife of Abraham

Tomb of the Golden Bird- Amelia Peabody Mystery

Gypsy Morph- scratching my sci-fi/ fantasy itch

These are just books I am enjoying

I love to see what everyone else is reading.

Amber in SJ

Ok, this is the stack on my nightstand because it's my stack of "What I Want to Get Around to Reading":

It's Easier Than You Think - Boorstein

How To Read a Book - Adler

Twilight and Philosophy (a Christmas gift)

Many Lives, Many Masters - Weiss (my husband requests I read)

Queen of Scots - Guy

One Two Three... Infinity - Gamow

Latin Centered Curriculum (not really vibing with it but I've heard so much about it)

And under my nightstand is The Snake, The Crocodile and the Dog by Peters. It's my bubble gum go-to that I read periodically.

I'm actively reading The Fiery Cross on my Kindle.

I should be finishing Gulliver's Travels but it reminds me such much of Don Quixote in that at about 3/4 through the book I've reached a "I DON'T CARE" attitude about the character. It's on and on about stupid stuff he's doing and thinking and what the political status of these crazy places he keeps going to is like. I think I need to read some background on the story line so I can hopefully see the motivation for why he's written what he has. If I could "get it", it might help.

I've been reading SO much for the past 2 years and in the last 3 weeks or so I've found I just can't commit or enjoy a book. I pick up one and read it a day or two and then decide to read something else. I feel like a non-reader who just can't get into books. What's happening to me?? LOL :001_smile:

I don't have any books on my nightstand because I read only one at a time and carry it from room to room with me in case I get a moment to read. However, the book I'm currently reading is book one of The Edge Chronicles! :lol: I ran out of books to read and didn't get a chance to go to the library today, so I grabbed one of Nik's books. I figured that I had enjoyed reading The Bartimaeus Trilogy (which I finished yesterday) so much that I might as well try this one.

I'm taking notes so I have a good list to take to the library on my next trip!

The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease - actually finished this morning

The New WTM

That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week by Ana Homayoun

TOG weeks 10-11 :)

War and Peace Tolstoy (both reading and listening at various times)

and b/c dd said she wanted me to read and discuss them with her, THe World According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney and Imprisoned in the Golden City by Dave and Neta Jackson -- I'll finish these over the weekend ;)

Gotta get off the computer and go read crumpled paper...gotta get my boys in order and ready for real life...when Momma doesn't organize it for you!

I'm actively reading The Fiery Cross on my Kindle.

I should be finishing Gulliver's Travels but it reminds me such much of Don Quixote in that at about 3/4 through the book I've reached a "I DON'T CARE" attitude about the character. It's on and on about stupid stuff he's doing and thinking and what the political status of these crazy places he keeps going to is like. I think I need to read some background on the story line so I can hopefully see the motivation for why he's written what he has. If I could "get it", it might help.

Think Whips and Torys...

This is what I am supposed to be reading next/soon:

The Invisible Wall, by Harry Bernstein

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes, by Diane Chamberlain

The Blind Side, by Michael Lewis

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by JK Rowling

... and we're still working on Johnny Tremain, by Esther Forbes, for our read-aloud.

I loved The Blind Side - my boys bought it for me for Christmas and I devoured it in two days. I have yet to see the movie, but the book was great.

Technically, my nightstand has:

-Oxford Annotated Study Bible

-Rebuild from Depression (I know the author and read it pre-publication and was excited to buy the real thing)

-Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

-the dust jacket for A New Kind of Christianity by Brian McLaren

-the phone

-scotch tape

-book light

-Seven Sorrows Rosary

-random library book I forgot to return

What I'm currently reading, though, is:

-A New Kind of Christianity by Brian McLaren

-The Heart of Christianity by Marcus Borg

-Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

-The Latin Centered Curriculum by Andrew Campbell (2nd time through - probably will read it a few times through for continued inspiration ;) )

A homemade, crocheted doily (birthday gift from my mom)

A framed picture of my dad

An emery board

A lamp

A small, flowered shaped dish with a couple trinkets in it...

Many nights... a glass of merlot...

My books are on the dresser beside the nightstand...

The stack I'm currently reading has:

The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (love his creative, wonderful work!)

Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia (interesting, but slow-going; am determined to continue working through it... at least for now :tongue_smilie:)

The other stack that includes the 'hopefully-I'll-get-around-to-these-before-they're-due-at-the-library' books:

The Adventurer's Handbook: Life Lessons from History's Great Explorers by Mike Conefrey

Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde

Dragon Bones by Lisa See

Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide by Peter Allison

the first 3 books in the Lightning Thief series (ds keeps telling me to finish them! :lol:)

and a few others that I can't think of right now...

Recently finished:

The Anatomy of Peace: Resolving the Heart of Conflict by the Arbinger Institute. I highly recommend it.

Finishing up:

The Comedy of Errors with my son. We will be seeing this at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater this Saturday. Woo-hoo!

On to:

What I Wish I Knew When I Was Twenty by Tina Seelig. I've read one chapter, and so far, it sounds intriguing.

Electra by Sophocles.

On my night stand i have -

When Children Love to Learn

The Art of Happiness

The Road Less Travelled

The Well Trained Mind

Discipline that Lasts a Lifetime

Latin Centered Curriculum

The Well Educated Mind x 2 (one is a friends)

The Art of Raising a Puppy

Deconstructing Penguins (yet to start)

5 Levels of Gifted

How to Read a Book (yet to start)

The Pilgrims Progress

I am at various stages in each of the books. Not looking to add anything until after we move in April.

On to:

What I Wish I Knew When I Was Twenty by Tina Seelig. I've read one chapter, and so far, it sounds intriguing.

I just finished this recently and have recommended my sister get it for my niece who is considering a business major. I found the author's examples of out of the box projects her class did to be very interesting.

Regards,

Kareni