Menu

NCLB -- No Cavity Left Behind (Mandatory toothbrushing in MA)

MA, the first state whose constitution called for public schooling, has recently introduced mandatory tooth brushing for preschoolers. I understand the aim, but just gotta wonder where are all those toothbrushes being stored afterwards and if they are labeled? Or do they use disposable ones for everyone everyday?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/education/29brush.html?ref=education

Yeah....I would have issues with that. There's going to be kids using each others toothbrushes, dropping them on the ground, etc. And really, at 4 years old, I still have to brush my kids teeth because doing it themsevles does nothing. Not to mention, we use a natural toothpaste and I dont want them putting their Dora the Explorer toothpaste into my child.

This does raise a lot of questions and I really don't see how it's going to be done in a way that really makes a difference. Like you said are they going to be labeling the toothbrushes, disposable ones (what a waste)? Some teachers have a hard time already with their classes doing regular tasks how are they going to make sure each student brushes their teeth correctly and thoroughly.

I also agree with what someone else said, I also have to help my 4 year old's teeth because she doesn't do a very good job on her own. Sometimes she takes a turn brushing her own but I always get a turn before or after her. And of course I agree this really should be the parents job, and aside from giving out some toothpaste and watching a video I really don't see much more a school could properly.

I have no idea whether this a good or bad idea, but I do note that more than one ER doc has lamented to me about the terrible infections from untreated kids teeth they see in our area. It is one of the depressing parts of their job.

Hubby grew up in such a socially deprived situation he had no tooth brush. If they had required brushing at school, someone might have taught him. As is, he "caught on" that the general public did this somewhere in his teens, but much of the damage was done.

Head Start programs are mentioned with regard to this new program. Whom do you surmise pays for this ? Tax dollars and well spent. For a filling in a toddler mouth and yes it is needed if the cavity is bad enough, it costs money for sedation etc and guess what if the child is in Head Start again your taxes ultimately pay for the very costly dental intervention. Toothbrush costs are small. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you think most parents are teaching and enforcing good dental routine then ask your dentist...Not happening and particularly in poverty stricken homes where the obstacles of educational deficit and health knowledge deficits are the conditions that they are trying to work with. It saves a fortune to prevent tooth decay rather than deal with the cavities, root canals at the age of 10 and up.

Sounds like a germ fest waiting to happen. I wonder how long it will be before there's an article on the increase of strep and other contagious illnesses in MA preschoolers.

We had strep here for the first time this winter and the first thing the dr. said to do was throw away all the toothbrushes in the kid's bathroom. So if you throw away all the toothbrushes everytime someone gets sick, who is supplying the toothbrushes?

Sounds like a germ fest waiting to happen. I wonder how long it will be before there's an article on the increase of strep and other contagious illnesses in MA preschoolers.
I don't know about MA, here's a protocol (pdf) used one of our local Head Start districts.

Here are the key elements as applied in Lane County:

Sanitation/Storage

1. Each child will have her/his own labeled toothbrush and brushes will be stored in holder and kept out of the reach of children when not in use.

2. Sanitation/Storage: Each toothbrush holder will be sanitized two times a month. The holder can be washed with warm water and soap and air dried.

3. Each classroom will be provided with a new toothbrush four times a school year; September 1, December 1, March 1, and a toothbrush will be sent home with each child at the end of the school year.

4. The sink area must be sanitized before and after toothbrushing activities.

Toothbrushing with fluoride toothpaste will follow these guidelines to prevent cross-contamination:

1. Group toothbrushing must be supervised by staff and/or volunteers who have been trained to monitor for activities that could result in cross contamination (spitting, playing with toothbrushes, etc). Children should never perform toothbrushing without adequate supervision.

2. To prevent cross contamination of the toothpaste tube, ensure that a pea-sized amount of toothpaste is always dispensed onto something other than the toothbrush first (wax paper, paper cups, or onto the child’s cup) **(Do Not Use Toothpaste Tube To Dispense Toothpaste to the Brushes)

3. Classroom procedure must insure that each child picks up only his or her own toothbrush.

4. Classroom procedure must insure that children do not have the opportunity to spit onto or near other children’s toothbrushes. This will vary dependent on classroom layout, and it is the responsibility of teaching staff to determine the procedures that work best for their physical layout.

5. Classroom staff will insure that toothbrushes are rinsed and stored properly after use. Plastic cups will be cleaned in the sanitizer after use.

I don't think it's a bad idea and all sorts of preschools do it anyway. I think it's odd that everyone thinks that a preschool teacher is so inept as to be able to properly care for toothbrushing.

To me, this is just reasonable just as it's reasonable to expect preschool teachers to:

1) have kids wash up before meals and snacks

2) have kids wash after pottying

3) teach kids to use the potty

4) take care of nap mats (and blankets, lovies, and pillows) for a classroom of children

and the myriad of other hygiene related issues preschool and daycare teachers help with daily.

And as for it being mandatory (unless a parent opts out?)? Like someone above mentioned, the people, via the state, pick up the tab for the consequences of kids teeth NOT getting brushed. And the consequence is too great for children anyway so people spending a great deal of time with children should encourage healthy habits, including toothbrushing. There are a few benefits of this really. One, kids that don't get brushing done at home, get it done at school. Two, kids see that it is important to all the important adults in their lives which makes an impact on many children. Three, it presents it as a socially acceptable, fun activity which is good for making it a good habit. Four, many children these days have very little discipline at home but can be helped to do right at school.

Now, teachers may not be able to make sure it's done perfectly. But something is better than nothing. Also, teachers often use songs and such which help them do it well and for long enough. And they use all sorts of other methods also (role playing with puppets, books, etc).

Anyway, I think it's a good idea. I always have. When I did daycare in my home, the kids brought toothbrushes. I thought brushing teeth after a meal was normal, just as normal as handwashing after pottying.

I do have to agree that if everything is properly sanitized, stored and supervised, then of course it's not a bad idea. Also like someone else mentioned as long as parents also get a say in the toothpaste. Some prefer natural, lower or high fluoride and some kids could be allergic. With the proper precautions set in place it could prevent a lot of dental problems for kids. I'm also happy to hear that they would be using one tooth brush for a extended period, that gets thrown out every few months (like the ones at home should).

I think it is a great idea. The regulations for the teeth brushing seem good with one exception. They should also replae when the child has been out with a contagious disease like a stomach virus or strep throat. Since head Start is for low income children, I would suppose that most qualify for Medicaid or that Kid's Insurance program, both of which are funded by taxpayers.

Here's another perspective....my dh is a social services worker in the foster care division for our local government. He recently had a 5-yob assigned to him when the mother lost her parental rights (at least temporarily). The child is dying from some type of kidney ailment and needs a transplant. Bear with me, because there are a lot of details he can't tell me, plus I don't understand the requirements of being on an organ donor recipient list. But this child has recurring infections due to his (or her?) lack of dental hygiene and the teeth infection goes into his blood stream. They evidently worked with her for months to get her onboard with the type of daily care regiment he needs to gain the health necessary to receive a kidney. But for whatever reason she wouldn't cooperate so the state stepped in. The child is with a foster family and after a month is healthy enough to be on the active list and is now waiting for his kidney. And yes, all of this stems from dental hygiene. I know this is a very extreme case, but trust me, my dh sees daily the effects of parents who neglect the simplest of things. Prior to his being in social services, I was strongly against any government or agency dictating what parents should do. But his job has been an eye-opening experience for us. And it's government dollars that pay everything for kids receiving state, federal or local services. I'm not saying I agree with the brushing edict, but just sharing why government officials might think this way....

I think it is a great idea. The regulations for the teeth brushing seem good with one exception. They should also replae when the child has been out with a contagious disease like a stomach virus or strep throat.
That's part of the University of Iowa protocol I linked:

• If a toothbrush has been contaminated, or has been used by another child, it should be discarded.
  • Toothbrushes should be replaced every 3 to 4 months, or sooner if the bristles become splayed or worn. Additionally, if a child is absent from the classroom due to illness, the old toothbrush should be discarded and a new one issued upon return to the classroom.

It is not mandatory, if you don't want your child to brush his teeth after lunch, he doesn't have to.

The Montessori School that my kids went to (not public) had the kids brush teeth after lunch, but not after snacks.

It wasn't instructional, though. The kids brought in toothpaste, one of those cylinder toothp. holders and a brush and they did it individually. After lunch they would put their lunch bag in the cubby, grab their brush, head to the bathroom and use the toilet, wash their hands, brush their teeth and on the way out, they would grab their nap mat and go to nap time. The older kids went outside for recess.

It is kind of like saying "what!? The kids have to wash their hands before they eat? Isn't that the parents job?" The kids were being taught that they should brush their teeth 3 times a day and since they were in school for lunch, they should brush their teeth after lunch.

Head Start programs are mentioned with regard to this new program. Whom do you surmise pays for this ? Tax dollars and well spent. For a filling in a toddler mouth and yes it is needed if the cavity is bad enough, it costs money for sedation etc and guess what if the child is in Head Start again your taxes ultimately pay for the very costly dental intervention. Toothbrush costs are small. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you think most parents are teaching and enforcing good dental routine then ask your dentist...Not happening and particularly in poverty stricken homes where the obstacles of educational deficit and health knowledge deficits are the conditions that they are trying to work with. It saves a fortune to prevent tooth decay rather than deal with the cavities, root canals at the age of 10 and up.

Toothbrushing is needed. Education regarding hygiene and health is needed. Laws that give the government power to micro-manage people's lives are most certainly not needed.

:iagree::iagree:

This intervention is a cost saver for the state and saves a whole lot of heart-ache for a child.

I worked at a Head Start 10 years ago and they were brushing teeth after lunch back then. It is a little gross but it isn't as bad as you would think. We passed out the toothbrushes and there were only 2 kids in the bathroom at a time. Doesn't do much good when parents put soda and kool-aid in baby bottles (I was told more then once, "He just won't drink that formula") but I don't think it will do any harm.

We have been doing this in daycare for the 20 years I worked in it, so I don't see the big deal adding it into a preschool. We had special storage units to hold the toothbrushes, and they were labeled, not just all tossed randomly in a bin, we would apply the toothpaste and hand them out after lunch, 1 kid per sink, so each daycare had a different number brushing at once. A staff member stayed with the kids at all times so there was no sharing of brushes, if dropped on floor it was immediately garbaged at most daycares, though I worked at one that opted to boil it if it was a brand new toothbrush. It added maybe 10 minutes to the after lunch routine, and was needed. THe kids enjoyed it, they loved to show off their clean teeth afterwards, very proud of themselves. I just don't see the big deal, and for some kids it is the only time they will brush their teeth that day.

I know about preventive care. That's why I said we need toothbrushing and education. It's beaurocracy and this level of government micro-management that I think is ridiculous.
So children who go to dental hygienically conscientious day cares and preschools can get their teeth brushed, but to heck with the rest? I'm guessing this isn't what you mean, so what model would you propose?

So children who go to dental hygienically conscientious day cares and preschools can get their teeth brushed, but to heck with the rest? I'm guessing this isn't what you mean, so what model would you propose?

I propose letting parents be in charge of their children's childhood. There is no reason parents can't ask their child's daycare to implement a tooth-brushing routine. Or parents can simply put a toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste in sandwich bags inside their children's backpacks and tell their children to brush their teeth after lunch. I used to substitute at my dc's childcare center, and if a child said their mommy told them to brush their teeth after lunch, it would have been no big deal. A law about this is simply unnecessary.

But with universal healthcare in Mass. it's the state's job to be sure that these kids don't develop issues that the state will have to pay for.

Do they also plan to ban cigarettes and saturated fats? While they're at it, I think they should also add mandatory exercise programs in the workplace.

I know about preventive care. That's why I said we need toothbrushing and education. It's beaurocracy and this level of government micro-management that I think is ridiculous.

:iagree: Brushing teeth/education is important. The nanny-state is ridiculous.:confused:

I propose letting parents be in charge of their children's childhood. There is no reason parents can't ask their child's daycare to implement a tooth-brushing routine. Or parents can simply put a toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste in sandwich bags inside their children's backpacks and tell their children to brush their teeth after lunch. I used to substitute at my dc's childcare center, and if a child said their mommy told them to brush their teeth after lunch, it would have been no big deal. A law about this is simply unnecessary.
Makes sense. Children of parents who don't understand the need for or methods of proper dental hygiene hopefully will learn the lesson that it's important by the time they have their own kids.

Yeah, they'll learn the lesson when they are 25 and need all but 8 teeth removed from the their mouths. Our family joke while hubby has been gone is saying "brush your teeth" instead of "I love you." It is just silliness but it came out of hubby's very real concern for our children's teeth because he lost all of his many years ago (and it doesn't help that my illness has caused my teeth to go from perfect to horrendous over the last 8-ish years).

I understand what y'all are saying about not needing a law for it. I guess that is true enough. However, I think it more than reasonable to encourage more preschools to include toothbrushing as they include handwashing. Handwashing IS in the regulations for preschools and daycares. Why not toothbrushing? There are all SORTS of such regulations for preschools and daycares. What is the difference with this one? Because it's new? There are new regulations every year or two.

Edited by 2J5M9K

When I was a kid, we brushed our teeth every day after lunch in school. The toothbrushes were all labeled and were stored in a thing that held them all separately. We didn't use toothpaste to brush, just water. I hated brushing my teeth without toothpaste!

When my girls were still in PS, they tried to implement this at their school. While it was a good idea in theory (a very poor rural area with lots of bad dental hygiene) in reality it flopped. It lasted about 2 weeks before all the toothbrushes that were carefully stored in their separate containers began to get nasty. They threw them all out and never started over.

They can still opt out.

This is key for me, but can private daycares opt out also? or just individual parents?

This might seem like rational legislation, but it's another crack in the dike to more mandatory stuff. John Edwards was proposing mandatory healthcare VISITS for everyone just a short while ago, and he had plenty of supporters for that.

and it might introduce more problems than it prevents, what with kids rubbing their toothbrushes into the carpet and poking each other in the sides.;)

I would not have supported this as legislation, but i would have supported a healthcare education rep that went from daycare to daycare showing, explaining, and training teachers about the protocol.

My son went to a public special ed preschool. They brushed their teeth there. No problems with germ sharing. They had separate storage areas. I don't remember exactly how it worked but I remember seeing it, and not being concerned. I'm very germ conscious so I'm sure I'd have had an issue if there was one. I thought it was a good idea but can't imagine the legislature requiring it.