Menu

Book A Week in 2010 - Book Week Two

Today is the start of Book Week Two. Welcome to everyone who joined in so far. Lots of interesting books being read and I can see my wish list growing substantially.

Last week I read Aristotle's Poetics which was surprisingly short. We have an old book On Man in the Universe which contains 5 of his books - Poetics, ethics, metaphysics, politics and Parts of Animals. The impression I received while reading Poetics was that I was reading cliff notes. You can actually find it online here. Basically his ideas about poetry and how the tragedies should be portrayed.

I also read an e-book Boomerang by Alan Hutcheson. It is a mystery with a humorous cast of characters which will keep you engaged for the entire story. I haven't had any time to write a review yet. Hopefully soon.

On the 52 books blog, talking about biographies and presidents this week. I joined the U.S. Presidents reading Project and starting with Washington instead of jumping around.

What are you reading this week?

So far I've read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which really helped me understand my 14yo's sense of humor, and a young adult steampunk book called Leviathan, which I reviewed here on my blog.

Robin, do you want links to reviews on your 52 books blog or the Mind Voyages blog??? And, stupid question, but how do I add a photo of the book to my blog review?? A recovering Luddite needs some help!!

I'm finally reading Julia Child's memoir, My Life in France, which is making for a great bedside table read, and just picked up a Michael Chabon mystery that features a very elderly Sherlock Holmes.

I will be finishing The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet early this week. I have completely enjoyed it, and my son is eager for me to hand it over. :)

Last night I borrowed Jeffrey's iPod Touch and read The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (trying to read more short stories this year) to help me determine if I like reading from a device.

1st book finished, Restoring Order to Your Home by Vicki Norris. Each chapter focused on ideas for organizing a particular room in the home. I was tempted to skip quite a few chapters since we don't have a playroom, family room, office, utility room, etc. But, the information in those chapters was useful since I have to deal with the items that go in those rooms even if I don't have a separate room that houses them. She frequently refers to her book Reclaim Your Life. It may be best to read that one first.

This week I'm reading another book that is in my decluttering pile, Managers of Their Schools by the Maxwells.

but how do I add a photo of the book to my blog review??

From the original thread:

I usually go to ask.com and search under images. Once I pull up the page for the image, I usually have to click a second time to see "full view." From the full view page, I copy the http address from the top and link it from my blog (when you try to post a picture, you can either upload, or put in an address, I put in the address).

I used google or dogpile images or go directly to author website and make a copy of the image from their pages. The best thing to do is right hand click on the images and save it to your pictures, desktop or where ever you save your pictures on your computer. The problem with linking photos from other websites instead of actually copying them, is it slows down their servers and websites. And it may cause your website to load more slowly since it has to go out and gather all those links. Many ask that you don't link to their pictures. Book covers images don't fall under copy infringement like art work or other content unless specifically stated so they can be used for book reviews. Authors don't have a problem with anyone adding an image of their books to your site. So download instead of link, please

I went ahead and created an associates account with amazon so that I could easily link with images and not mess with permission or anything. Once signed up, there is a bar at the top of my screen when I'm on amazon.com that says "link to this book". Once I click that, I can decide whether I want the title, the image, the prices or whatever to show. I always appreciate being linked to a book when I'm reading about it on someone's blog so I can go right to it and read other reviews or put it straight in my cart.

I've had an associates account for two years now and made all of $1.00...which is too far below the minimum to have a check issued - lol! But that's not why I do it. It's for reader convenience only.

I finished Sara Nelson's So Many Books, So Little Time. It chronicles her year of reading a book a week. She discusses how she chose certain books, how they impacted (or sometimes, didn't) her life, and how she reads.

Interesting book, but I was hoping to come away from it with a big ol' list of reading suggestions for me; that didn't happen as I found that much of what she reads just isn't my thing.

LibraryLover, I read both those books. I am a zombie lover. :) I love reading how humans try to survive and band up together.

This week I have on my plate How to Read Literature Like a Professor. Also, throughout the next few months, I am reading Verbal Advantage: 10 Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary by Charles Harrington Elster. I have learned so much in the first 40 pages alone that I have re-read it level 1 3x already!

I'm just finishing reading Going Rogue by Sarah Palin. Can I just say - meh? I agree with many of Palin's political views, but the book reads like a pile of excuses. She "explains" everything she has ever been criticized about and it's getting on my nerves. I'm really just slogging through it at this point because I'm almost finished.

I'm looking forward to starting A Simple Christmas by Mike Huckabee and no, I'm not doing a political candidate theme! It just worked out like that.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm reading The Winds of Marble Arch by Connie Willis. It is a collection of her short stories. Many I like, a couple I wish were not in the book. I was very disappointed to see her go off the deep end into obscenity in one of the stories. I could use some brain bleach to get rid of that memory.

LibraryLover, I read both those books. I am a zombie lover. :) I love reading how humans try to survive and band up together.

QUOTE]

I am shocked at how interesting it is. I was shocked at how interesting the writing seemed when my ds was discussing & reading aloud a couple of passages.

I don't think these are going to be on TWTM classics lists for adults, but I am finding the style quite fascinating. lol

Well, I got sidetracked from my original reading plan and read "Twilight" and "New Moon." Would have probably read "Eclipse" too but the library was out:blush: I really liked them. I think deep down I knew I would, I was very into romance as a teen/young adult. My 15yo dd will have to wait a couple years, though. A little too emotionally intense for her.

Since "Eclipse" wasn't at the library, I picked up "The Mermaid in the Basement" by Gilbert Morris. It turned out to be quite a good Christian mystery/romance.

I needed a break from the fantasy realm, it seems:D

This week I reread Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy. I think it's my third time through it, and the first in at least a decade. I fell in love with it all over again and made lots of notes in the margins. I finished up The Making of Americans by E.D. Hirsch, and found it a bit dry.

So far I've read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which really helped me understand my 14yo's sense of humor, and a young adult steampunk book called Leviathan, which I reviewed here on my blog.

My son loves steampunk, so I'll have to see if this Leviathan is in our library.

This week I read Huckleberry Finn. Considering that I have not read this book since middle school, I feel that I truly read it for the first time. Remarkable novel in so many ways.

I also read Greasy Rider: Two Dudes, One Fast Food Fueled Car, and a Cross-Country Search for a Greener Future which disappointed me. The author, Greg Melville, is not Bill Bryson--maybe that was the problem. The buddy thing included conversations that were not worth replicating in print. Both my son and I decided to read this book to learn more about alternative fuels. The author converts an old Mercedes to run on French fry grease, the sort of thing that seems interesting to my teenage son. Maybe this was better as a magazine article or two, not a book?

Onward...

Currently, I'm reading:

Good Omens (wickedly funny, imo)

The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science (very interesting, esp. as science is not my strong point)

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire (I'm getting a few great ideas that I'd like to implement at home)

And, w/ the dc, I'm in the process of reading (either aloud or to myself while they also read the same book):

The Anybodies (very fun)

The Lightning Thief (which I read many years ago & enjoyed)

Magyk (ds loves this & wants me to read it w/ him because he has already read it numerous times & loves it)

I just finished "All quiet on the Western Front" yesterday, and it will be showing up for week 2 in a bit. It was very sad, and I spent a lot of church today thinking about WWI and suffering and such.

I started reading a book called "All the way home," about a family that buys a crumbling mansion and renovates it. I've read the description of the home, but it hasn't started getting fixed up yet. It sounds nearly unsalvageable, you'd have to be crazy to take it on--40 years' worth of every bad thing you've ever seen on "Hoarders," and then some.

I've decided to read "Last of the Mohicans" soon. I don't like American lit, so this is a challenge. :001_smile:

I haven't written my reviews for my blog yet, but...

I finished If You Really Loved Me by Ann Rule. It was especially interesting to me. My childhood friend's father was a horrible man. I'm hoping the author responds to my email to her, as she might have some information I've been wanting to know for years. I think this book would be interesting for anyone who likes true crime.

I also read Ender's Game. I read this when I was 12-14 range. I loved it then. I loved it now. I was going to read it to my kids but I had forgotten how violent and crude some of it was. We'll be holding off on it for a while.

I'm almost done with First Meetings in the Enderverse. It was interesting to read Ender's history and the original Ender's Game novella. I have to say he improved the story a lot when he expanded it into a novel. I haven't read the last short story; it's suppose to be read right before Xenocide, which I haven't read.

I'm in the middle of The Last Undercover: The True Story of an FBI Agent's Dangerous Dance with Evil. I'm disappointed that it's covering more of his career than just the last undercover operation, which is what I was interested in.

I'm also in the middle of Twilight. I'm reading it because I want to see what the hoopla is all about. I'm finding the writing to be simplistic, but I do really like fiction, and romance, so it's interesting enough to be holding my attention well.

I've studied about 35 pages worth of St Augustine's confessions, for my WEM work. Urgh. It would be much more pleasant if I wasn't studying it, though. Being dialogue, it'd be better read aloud. It's a bit hard to find study time with two little kids but I'll plug away and finish it eventually. I had to chuckle at the last section I read. It seems St Augustine tends towards unschooling, at heart, and considers Homer to be twaddle :D

I'm about 2/3 of the way through "Vanishing Borders" by Michael Farr which is about late period communism in East Germany, Poland and Bohemia. I've read plenty about Russia and Poland, but not much about the rest of the Eastern Bloc countries. Slow going because some of my pleasure reading time is going to embroidery, but that's a good thing to do too :)

Rosie

My first book was Sarah's Key--our January book for my book club.

For week 2 I read The Art of Racing in the Rain--our February book. Loved it.

I think I'm actually a little bit ahead???? I am now reading The Bread Baker's Apprentice and am absolutely counting that toward my total even if it is a recipe book. It's a very wordy recipe book. I will also read The Last Olympian this week if I can get it out of my dd's hands.

I had planned to read 2 completely different books...but I got sidetracked and read The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (book 2 in the series. I wrote a little about it on my blog. You can read here:

http://cheeriosinmysneakers.blogspot.com/2010/01/52-in-52-week2.html

Hope my link works.

~~Faithe (who is VERY new to blogging)

I haven't written my reviews for my blog yet, but...

I finished If You Really Loved Me by Ann Rule. It was especially interesting to me. My childhood friend's father was a horrible man. I'm hoping the author responds to my email to her, as she might have some information I've been wanting to know for years. I think this book would be interesting for anyone who likes true crime.

I also read Ender's Game. I read this when I was 12-14 range. I loved it then. I loved it now. I was going to read it to my kids but I had forgotten how violent and crude some of it was. We'll be holding off on it for a while.

I'm almost done with First Meetings in the Enderverse. It was interesting to read Ender's history and the original Ender's Game novella. I have to say he improved the story a lot when he expanded it into a novel. I haven't read the last short story; it's suppose to be read right before Xenocide, which I haven't read.

I'm in the middle of The Last Undercover: The True Story of an FBI Agent's Dangerous Dance with Evil. I'm disappointed that it's covering more of his career than just the last undercover operation, which is what I was interested in.

I'm also in the middle of Twilight. I'm reading it because I want to see what the hoopla is all about. I'm finding the writing to be simplistic, but I do really like fiction, and romance, so it's interesting enough to be holding my attention well.

Joanne...I spent an entire summer reading Orson Scott Card. I love his novels. Not so much his graphic ones...but my boys do....

~~Faithe

Tried reading Sense and Sensibility for week 2 (started a little early) - dumped it in the middle. I just couldn't wrap my mind around it for some reason. I'm about 12 chapters into Pride and Prejudice now, and liking it better. Hopefully I'll finish for this week, although I'm also skimming several other books and reading a bunch of MCT teacher's guides in preparation for starting them this week. Maybe I should have picked an easier book.:tongue_smilie:

I read The Lightning Thief. I had to fight my 13 year old dd for the book. (I had it first.) I enjoyed it, she really enjoyed and then my 14 year old son enjoyed it. They love D'Auliare's Greek Myths so this was right up their alley.

I also read Know Why You Believe for Starting Points. It was my 2nd time to read it. A very worthwhile book.

I read the House on Sugar Beach this last week---loved it, highly recommend it. Wrote about it on my blog. This week I'm reading The Challenge for Africa by Wangari Maathal. So far it is extremely dry! But I'm sure it will be informative. I also need to get busy and read more of Susan Wise Bauer's new book as its review time is coming up.

I read If I'm Diapering a Watermelon, Than Where's the Baby? This week I'm reading a couple of books.

Manalive for the social group "A Reader's Group." Come join us! It will be fun!

The Wicked Games of a Gentleman by Jillian Hunter

Charlotte's Web by EB White with my youngest (going easy on myself and counting read alouds)

The Witch of Blackbird Pond with my oldest

Whoo hoo! Week 2!

Tried reading Sense and Sensibility for week 2 (started a little early) - dumped it in the middle. I just couldn't wrap my mind around it for some reason.

That's because it is (in my opinion ;D) badly written. Great story, needed an editor, didn't get one, so is much more enjoyable as produced by the BBC.

Rosie

Well, I finally finished Little Women, and I'm a bit ambivalent about it. It was a bit preachy, too sweet much of the time, but I did manage to get drawn into the story. I really didn't remember much from my previous read - I think I read it in 5th grade, and I haven't seen the movie in ages. I'm going to watch the movie this week to see how it compares to the book.

I started my 3rd book, Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb, which is 2nd in a series. (read the 1st last week) I've decided to stick with fantasy/scifi and general fiction while working through one of the reading lists from TWEM. I need to have some escape reading or I'll go nuts! I just received TWEM last week, so I'm still deciding what reading list I'm going to follow. It will most likely be Chapter 7 - The Story of the Past, which would have me starting with Herodotus The Histories. I'm hoping a good translation is available for Kindle.

Here's my post for week 2: All quiet on the Western front. Note that it is also my monthly classic! :D

Question: on the 52 books blog, there's no Mr. Linky on the Week 2 post. Is it supposed to show up later? Do I not do that every week? Am I supposed to put it somewhere else and I don't know about it?

I was thinking about that last night whether to do mr linky with each weekly post for each book or one mr linky for each month. There are 70 people signed up to participate so far. All will be reading at different rates. Which would you all prefer. Mr. Linky for each week with the weekly post or one mr. linky link for each month which will be in the sidebar.

I think it would be easier to just put up a new Mr. Linky every Saturday and have everyone link their reviews from the week to it (whether that is one review or three). That way it makes it easy for me to see which posts I've already read since I like to check everyone's review out.

Robin, do you want links to reviews on your 52 books blog or the Mind Voyages blog??? And, stupid question, but how do I add a photo of the book to my blog review?? A recovering Luddite needs some help!!

If the book is sci fi go ahead and link on Mind Voyages blog. You can also link to 52 books blog if you are counting it toward your 52 books. I think your question abut posting a photo was answered. If you need more help, let me know.

This week I have on my plate How to Read Literature Like a Professor.

I have this book. Look forward to hearing what you think. I've started it a couple times, but had it sitting in the bathroom as the bathroom book. Turns out its a book that needs to be digested in bigger sections than a few minutes. So I need to spend some couch time and read it.

I'll add Mr. Linky to book week two post tomorrow. I'm at work today and don't know my sign on information. Good ideas. Thanks!

I never did say what I'm reading this week -- The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's a chunkster at 900 some odd pages.

Last week I read "Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire". I enjoyed it and found some helpful tips. The end was tough for me to get through, in part because it was really aimed at classroom teachers, but in part because I felt like it was out of the reach of most teachers.

I'm in the middle of "The Truth About Love", a novel set in post-WWII Ireland. It is not fabulous and I'm considering giving up on it. I also started listening to another novel, who's name escapes me at the moment, on a car trip yesterday. I'll finish it tonight or tomorrow and post my review.

I'm starting "How to Read a Book" in preparation to read some classics this year.