Menu

What is the best BOARD GAME you/your family got for Christmas?

Apples to Apples here. We've had the kids version for months and have now graduated to the Junior level. The kiddos were thrilled.

Again, for the younger crowd, Cadoo has been enjoyed so far, as has Backseat Drawing Junior (a version is available for the older crowd).- lots of fun BTW, and it's from the makers of Apples to Apples.

ETA: Not many board games for Christmas here as our games cupboard is already overflowing. I have a tendency to walk out of ToysRUs with a new board game each time I visit.

My youngest (3 3/4) got Camelot Jr. and it is fantastic. I guess it's not really a board game but more of a logic game. It has various skill levels so my older son really enjoys it too. I find it difficult to find quality games for my youngest that he can really play too so I was thrilled with this one.

We also got Quatro this year but haven't opened it yet. Blockus was a huge hit last year.

I looked for Ticket to Ride here but couldn't find it. My eldest's birthday is in the spring so I will continue to keep my eyes open! Glad to here your kids enjoy it!

We received Alibi (a game like Clue), Ticket to Ride, the 1910 expansion pack to go with it, Traders and Barbarians (to go with our Settlers of Catan), and Puerto Rico. We played Ticket to Ride today and enjoyed it. The kids really wanted to play Puerto Rico; they heard about how much my dsil and her family enjoy it!

Marcia

Blokus

Mastermind

Boggle

All from a grandpa who sends me money to buy gifts that I then wrap and put under our tree "from him"

My mom does that -- sends me money to buy gifts to wrap and put under our tree "from her". This year, she got the kids iTunes gift cards because Santa brought them new iPods. *I* would've been happier with games -- I have quite a list of games to look for now -- but would you believe we didn't get *any* games this year??

Guest Virginia Dawn

Underground: The London Game

We were introduced to it this year by a military family just back from England. It's great fun. So dh moved heaven and earth to put one under the tree this year. It can't be found in the U.S.

We got a bunch of games this year; we're big gamers. We already have Settlers, Ticket to Ride, and we got San Juan (the card game version of Puerto Rico), Euphrates and Tigris (the card game version), Cleopatra, Attika, and the 1910 Expansion to TtR. So far we've played San Juan and Attika and they are both huge hits....they are supposed to be excellent 2 player games and they are! Euphrates is supposed to be another good 2 player game, too.

Underground: The London Game

We were introduced to it this year by a military family just back from England. It's great fun. So dh moved heaven and earth to put one under the tree this year. It can't be found in the U.S.

Well that is frustrating - we love London and I have a friend that this would be perfect for. How in the world did you get them to ship this to the US?

We bought Puerto Rico and it's been a hit. The dining room table has been covered with it for since Christmas afternoon. There is a bit of a learning curve - it is a bit more complex than the basis Settlers of Catan game. Once they figured it out, they were commenting about how much fun it is. There is a lot of strategy opportunity.

I'm having a moment of squee, here. I've never heard of some of these games and after hitting the link Jenne gave my Amazon cart is FULL again (besides the over 300 books I have in my cart:001_huh:).

You and me both! I've got tons of ideas for birthday presents, Christmas presents, 4th of July presents ... :lol:

Well, we haven't played them yet, but my kids got:

Ticket to Ride Europe

Bananagrams

Clue

A booklet on how to play different marble games (these from us)

What's the Word (from my mom)

and 9yo got Samantha's Mystery Party game from her godmother.

I bought my nephews the Settlers of Catan Traders & Barbarians extension, but we won't get to exchange gifts with them till Jan when they get back from Texas.

So, when I was browsing in the game store, I noticed Carcassone - I've never played it or Settlers of Catan (okay, I think I may have played SoC once a few years ago, but now I completely forget how it works). Are these games similar at all? They both seem to have a medieval build-a-town kind of feel. Could someone explain them to me? I get the feeling we should get one or the other - or are they cool enough/different enough that we should have both? Which to start with? (I have three girls, 11, 11, and 9yo)

Most board games bore me to tears, but I can cope with Scrabble.

Laura

I hate (HATE) playing board games with children until they reach a certain age. I do play, however, because I know it is good for their brains, good memories, and (hopefully) good Karma points for me to do it even though I would rather scrub the toilet with my tongue.

We got the 'quieter' Boggle. We love Boggle but the noise when you shake it is LOUD. So this new version is supposedly more quiet. It hasn't arrived yet so we're excited to get this soon.

We got for Christmas: Thanks to WTM for all the suggestions!!! ;)

Name That Country

10 Days in Europe

10 Days in USA

Underground

Dutch Blitz

Bananagrams

Quiddler