Menu

What is the best BOARD GAME you/your family got for Christmas?

So, when I was browsing in the game store, I noticed Carcassone - I've never played it or Settlers of Catan (okay, I think I may have played SoC once a few years ago, but now I completely forget how it works). Are these games similar at all? They both seem to have a medieval build-a-town kind of feel. Could someone explain them to me? I get the feeling we should get one or the other - or are they cool enough/different enough that we should have both? Which to start with? (I have three girls, 11, 11, and 9yo)

We have both of these games and I think they are quite different. Carcassone is like constructing an intricate puzzle (an advanced version of Rivers Roads and Rails) while strategically placing your 7 little wooden figures to reap the most points as roads and castles are built and cloisters are surrounded. Settlers of Catan revolves around throwing dice to get resources and using those resources to build settlements, roads, cities and buy development cards. You get resources based on your positioning of your settlements and cities. S of C is much more interactive (you trade with other players, move the robber to shut down their resource production, receive resources no matter who rolls the dice) and to me more exciting-4 players is the ideal for the basic game but 3 is also fun. Carcassone is a quieter more thoughtful game and can be played with 2 or more players-some people say it works best with 2 players. It would depend on the personality of your dds.

Susan

ds (8)

We got Fact or Crap this year. It is basiscally trivia and pretty interesting.

Kids got:

Battleship

Connect Four

Monopoly Jr.

They got Wii so they haven't played much of the board games yet!

What version of Battleship did you get? I looked at the newer (octogon shapped board) one on Amazon and it got horrible reviews...so I was wondering which one you got and if you think it is good version of the game.

I can tell you the worst.......

War of the Ring

http://www.spiritgames.co.uk/gamesin.php?UniqueNo=2113

Dh & ds have been pouring over it for more than 2h and I think they still haven't figured out how to play. :confused: Waaaaaaaaay too complicated.

It was a present from a bil we rarely see......

I almost bought this for the boys, but was discouraged by a group of local gamers. I spent some time in the local game store where several tables are set up for folks to play board games. The day I was there, about 10 fellas were playing several games. They indicated to me that War of the Rings had the best re-play-ability of any of the more popular games, but the learning curve was the steepest. They felt that unless someone who already knew how to play showed the boys, the boys would be too discouraged.

Maybe you can find someone who knows how to play....it sounds like it can be a lot of fun.

All of our board games have been a big hit:

Clue (Harry Potter version - VERY fun!!)

Electronic Monopoly

Sorry

Risk (the original version)

I'm off to search out some of the games y'all have mentioned as I've never heard of half of them! That Settlers of Catan sounds like something my Risk lovers would enjoy! :)

I can't believe no one else mentioned it! We LOVE board games and this one has become popular very quickly at our house!

Blessings,

Julie

ER's girlfriend got this one for Christmas, and she told me yesterday that she is bringing it when she comes to visit this week. She knows that we love games and she thinks we'll like it.

That's a great idea. Dh & ds did play a bit yesterday and ds had fun so that's all that counts but I think they were mostly making it up :) I'll have to look around for one of these game stores which has game evenings & drop in.

It's good to hear that it has lots of 're-play-ability' (I love that word!) once it's mastered. Thanks for your comments :001_smile:

I almost bought this for the boys, but was discouraged by a group of local gamers. I spent some time in the local game store where several tables are set up for folks to play board games. The day I was there, about 10 fellas were playing several games. They indicated to me that War of the Rings had the best re-play-ability of any of the more popular games, but the learning curve was the steepest. They felt that unless someone who already knew how to play showed the boys, the boys would be too discouraged.

Maybe you can find someone who knows how to play....it sounds like it can be a lot of fun.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Well that is frustrating - we love London and I have a friend that this would be perfect for. How in the world did you get them to ship this to the US?

Our friends asked a military family in England to get it for us and ship it from the base so it would go by U.S. rates.

We got Agricola. Dh and I have played it 4 times in 2 days. Love it!

I've heard it referred to as "Puerto Rico on steroids." :D

We got it awhile back. It was a bit embarrassing to have to play the first few games in easy mode, but we graduated soon enough. :) Great game.

We got Agricola. Dh and I have played it 4 times in 2 days. Love it!

I've heard it referred to as "Puerto Rico on steroids." :D

We got it awhile back. It was a bit embarrassing to have to play the first few games in easy mode, but we graduated soon enough. :) Great game.

Dh didn't want to do the easy mode. I'm not sure how long our first game took, including reading directions and figuring it all out, but we're doing pretty well now.

Sequence Numbers

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Out-of-the-Box-6050/dp/B000301PJ2][/url]Snorta - http://www.amazon.com/Out-of-the-Box-6050/dp/B000301PJ2

We played both last night and ds7 loved Sequence. We have the States & Capitals so we knew it would be a hit. Snorta was fun too although hard with our dd4.

We played Banagrams at the ILs Saturday night and I thought it was a lot of fun.