Menu

"Don't open the box, honey."

My kids got g.c to McDonalds from an Uncle. My daughter asked if I wanted to trade with her for my g.c to Starbucks. I said, "Sure." (Just glad to have gotten rid of one McDonald card. She'll buy hot tea at Starbucks). Now I have to figure out what I can trade my son for his. ...????

It's clear the relatives put thought into selecting my kids' gifts. There's nothing that's of poor quality or inappropriate or offensive.

But . . .

You know that book that you hate to read for no real reason? I don't disagree with the idea or the message. The artwork is lovely and the writing isn't horrendous. I just don't like reading the book.

Our oldest was given this book 10 years ago. We suffered through it with him, and with his next two siblings. We ended up with a second copy of it, in fact. But finally my kids wore them out. DH and I rejoiced.

The other side of the family gave my youngest son another copy.:tongue_smilie:

A few weeks ago, my sister and I were telling dd how our grandma had given me woman sized underwear when I was 6yrs. Well fast forward to this morning, dh's dear, sweet, wonderful and apparently aging aunt gave dd's 6 and 11 underwear that says it is child's size 12, but will never fit either of them. :D They took it well.

The only thing that was a total "miss" here was when my two oldest DDs opened their gifts from my SIL- they were Candy Apple Books from Scholastic and they both said at the same time, "Ewwww!! We don't like these kind of books. This looks dumb." YESSSS - I am so proud of you, girls! :lol: BTW, it was only our immediate family around when they opened them, I'm pretty sure they would never had said something like that to SIL's face. At least I hope. :001_huh:

:lol: This thread is hilarious! We haven't had any misses yet, but we have a family Christmas party tomorrow, and a smaller one with my mom, brother, and SIL the day after. I don't anticipate any misses with the party on the 27th (my mom & brother bought things directly off the kids' wish list) but depending on whether or not any of my aunts and uncles were kind enough to buy things for my kids, we might have some misses there. I have to say I was very proud of my kids at our family Hanukkah party. My ILs got them some toys, but also flannel bed sheets (I told them the kids needed them, even though it wasn't a "fun" gift). They actually loved the sheets and didn't have the negative reaction I feared they would have.

For example, when my oldest two were about 2yrs and 4 years they got PORCELAIN dolls. :glare:

LOL MIL used to do that. She would give my very tom-boyish dd porcelain dolls and then wrap them in plastic. She would then give them to her and then tell her to not ever open them because they would be valuable someday....she was 3yo when she started giving them to her. They weren't high end dolls, just ones that said "collectors item" on it. LOL

I kept them for her until dd passed the doll stage, so she could enjoy them if she ever decided to get into dolls, she never did, so they went bye-bye.

Well, first there was the Hanna Montana doll and horse. Then there was the very hungry caterpillar game. And the color matching game. My girls are 5 & 8. And advanced. I think we still have the caterpillar book, but they are way beyond that. Oh, and the puzzles. 10-20 pieces. To MIL credit, she has alzheimer's, so the person who did the shopping with MIL barely knows the kids. Has seen them just a couple of times. And probably went completely off the 'general population' and the ages on the packages. And we have the receipt :D

My parents give good gifts and my kids love their gifts so much better than the inlaws do. They are dreading getting gifts from my dh's parents. They came and told us to tell them not to even bother with gifts this year. :001_smile: I told them no. We will either throw them away or return them to the store if we can.

We are going over there this Sunday the 27th.

Holly

We're very lucky and so far have only gotten gifts that are awesome but I bought for both sets for grandparents this year because they are elderly and one is in a nursing home. (My grandmother then forgot which gifts I bought for her to give the girls and was suprised when they thanked her. :001_smile: She played it off well though.) We're opening gifts from my BIL on Sunday and he is single, almost 50, and lives in Hawaii so we only rarely see him. I'll be interested to see what he got the girls. They've open one present so far (Hyper Dash) and it's a game to looks pretty cool actually. I'm trying to limit the Disney Princess stuff the kids have because it's just been over the top some years but if he got them some I won't confiscate them right away. I'll give them a month and then they can become car toys because those manage to disappear on their own. :glare:

It's clear the relatives put thought into selecting my kids' gifts. There's nothing that's of poor quality or inappropriate or offensive.

But . . .

You know that book that you hate to read for no real reason? I don't disagree with the idea or the message. The artwork is lovely and the writing isn't horrendous. I just don't like reading the book.

Our oldest was given this book 10 years ago. We suffered through it with him, and with his next two siblings. We ended up with a second copy of it, in fact. But finally my kids wore them out. DH and I rejoiced.

The other side of the family gave my youngest son another copy.:tongue_smilie:

I have to know. What book was it?

What gifts did you or your children get that you will never use?

My daughter got "Hootchie-Girl Barbie." It will be going to The Salvation Army.

The same relative got my son a robot that has a gun and makes lots of noise. Once the novelt wears off it will be stored way under the bed.

OMG, Hootchie Girl Barbie!?!?!?!? I can't believe they make such a thing!! I would be supervising that adult very closely in the future. . . and be suspicious of age-related dementia or other mental illness in the giver!

Screeching slingshot monkeys!!! They are horrible and noisy. All 3 of my kids were gifted these lovely toys this year :) :)

We got these 2 years ago... five of them! From my mom...

We left them at her house 'accidentally'.

Two weeks later, she *sent them to us*!

My kids got g.c to McDonalds from an Uncle. My daughter asked if I wanted to trade with her for my g.c to Starbucks. I said, "Sure." (Just glad to have gotten rid of one McDonald card. She'll buy hot tea at Starbucks). Now I have to figure out what I can trade my son for his. ...????
McDonalds has a variety of really goood coffe drinks now...

I doubt it was actually called hootchie girl barbie, but some of the barbies I've seen *should* be called that. Probably what she meant.

I agree. I think they might be "My Scene Barbie" dolls. My friend -- a little on the crude side (an understatement) calls them "F-me" Barbie.

She lost it many years ago when Pregnant Kelly was pulled from Walmart. Her spiel was "they'll pull a married, pregnant Barbie, but not the one to show girls how they end up that way.:lol::lol:"

Oy, my son did that at BIL's. Dh's aunt gave him a Bop It game -- a talking contraption where you have to pull levers or do other actions on the gadget when the voice cues you to do so. Ds either didn't understand it at first, or didn't like it, because not only did he not thank the giver, he walked around asking his cousins if any of them wanted it. I had to confront him about it today. Ironically, he took it in the car with us when we went to hang out with my side of the family, and played with it almost the whole time we were in the car.

I doubt it was actually called hootchie girl barbie, but some of the barbies I've seen *should* be called that. Probably what she meant.

Right. I was just being funny calling it "Hootchie-Girl." It really has some other name. It is wearing a bikini.

The loud robot with a gun is already under the bed, but not way under (yet.)

Not yet! Our family Christmas party is this afternoon.

My kids usually receive great presents....my only issue is with my youngest. She has autism and her interests are still in the preschool arena (Dora the Explorer, Yo Gabba Gabba, Blue's Clues, etc.) even though she'll be 8 next month.

So things like Barbie, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and other things that interest the other 7 to 8 year old girls in our extended family aren't going to hold any interest at all for her.

This year, I sent along a list of her favorite things and interest level when we were making the Christmas party arrangements via email....hopefully it will help this year!

We'll see!

Ds9 received Chutes & Ladders and Ds12 received - get this - Candyland from their aunt!

[ds7 & ds6 gifts were ok...Sorry & Twister...but even they don't play Candyland or Chutes & Ladders anymore...as in not for several years!]

On the bright side, while dd11's gift was not something she would ever be interested in, for the first time in years there was no awful clothing for her. Usually they give her tight, short t-shirts with inappropriate sayings and pants either so low cut they couldn't be worn with underwear or else with words written across the behind! Every year the boys would get toys [better than this year's] and she would have to fight back the tears because all she ever got was clothing she would be too embarrased to wear [not that she would be allowed to even if she did like it]!

The boys smiled and said thank you. When we got home, ds12 and ds9 promptly put their in the donation box we keep in the closet, saying with a smile and a laugh "At least "dd11's" was better this year." [she is regifting hers tomorrow to a cousin who will enjoy it.]

I know that people give gifts out of the kindness of the hearts and we should be thankful, and we are - even if it is that we are thankful to be able to give them to someone else who will enjoy them. I just find it incredibly sad though that these relatives, who live within 10 minutes of us, know so little about our children. I realize that they are our children and the world doesn't revolve around them, but when their children were younger, we spent time with them; we knew who they were, what they were interested in, and their likes and dislikes. After all, they are family, and that is what family does.

I was the one who messed up on a couple of gifts!!

I must have been tired when out at the store that one day... I got 10yob size 18-20 underwear!!! What a laugh! He did get some nicer things, of course, but... wow! Time to laugh at myself!

And then mil came over for Christmas meal and we exchanged gifts... I made microwave heating bags with corn and they turned out lovely... everyone in my family has gone on and on about them and loved them... BUT, MIL said, "Oh, no, is this a corn bag? I don't have a microwave, you know." Oops.

Our family did pretty well this year. Of course, it helps that the in-laws gave everyone cash. :D Last year they gave my just turned 6yo dd, a karaoke machine!:banghead: They thought it would be great "because she can read now". She didn't even know what it was. Now the very expensive machine is in storage, probably until we can get some movers to "accidentally" drop it, instead of our good stuff!

last year my son got a hermit crab. I have 7 cats and the last thing I needed was a hermit crab. It really smelled. We had it for a few months and one day a friend of mine that is a primary school nurse was over and said that she wanted to get a hermit crab to keep in her office at school for the students to enjoy. Well, she left our house with the crab that day. The person that gave us the crab has never once asked us about it.

my mom (bless her heart) got my survivor-man 8yo son (who got sharp knives, a canteen and rough-guy stuff from his dad, shoots guns, makes fires with flint and magnesium) a hot-wheels watch. He thanked her politely, but was so sad (both for her and for himself) that he nearly cried.

Mine haven't opened gifts from my ILs yet. ;)

They NEVER ask what the kids would like or simply what they could use. They just go buy crap. For example, when my oldest two were about 2yrs and 4 years they got PORCELAIN dolls. :glare:

So I may very well have something to add to this thread later....

Ironically, my ILs asked for gift ideas. I went to a lot of trouble and time to compose an email with links so they could see ideas for ds7 and dd4. But they got nothing from the list. Instead, they gave mostly crap. They gave my ds7 something that was appropriate for a 3yo! One aunt gave dd4 a large barbie head that you can put makeup on--she's so not old enough for that.

Sigh...some stuff is going straight out the door. We don't have room for a lot, and some things we don't feel comfortable with. We've tried to tell them just to get one gift and tried to give ideas. Next year, I'm not wasting my time, since it looks like they aren't interested in those kind of things. I want to be grateful for their thought, though it seems like lately not much thought is going into the gifts. Maybe they're getting old and tired. But that wouldn't explain the aunts' gifts, lol!:tongue_smilie:

Nothing too bad this year, but we haven't done Christmas with MIL yet. Dh's side of the family is very bad to insist on opening their gift fully right then, and yes, I do think it's a blatant attempt to make sure we can't exchange the gifts. (They know the types of gifts we do and don't want the kids to have, and it's only the latter type that they open right away with the kids...).

I have a feeling that my gifts for my 10 yo cousin will be taken back, but I did include the gift receipt. Books are apparently lame; gift cards for clothes are the preferred items. Sigh.