Menu

What are you getting your kids for Christmas?

I think we are getting a wooden swing set for the new baby and 3 year old to share.

11 year old is getting American Girl stuff and sewing supplies.

13 year old is getting a few Scout things and money.

15 year old is getting a couple of books and more fencing for her animals.

I'm thinking of a ping pong table for the 3 of them, a karaoke machine, and dog training classes for them to take our new pups too. There will be educational items too. I'm looking at the "musIQ" program that someone posted on here that has an electronic keyboard and software. DS11 is desperate for a phone, but that's not happening yet.

We have two boys, ages 6.5 and 4.

They are getting a Quadrilla Twist and Rail marble run set to share. This is a big deal because it's the first year the 4 yo has stopped putting things into his mouth. We could not have marbles around until now.

They are getting three Lego vehicle kits to share. The least expensive three, because I want to see how they do with these. Legos are also new here due to the mouthing issue that was recently resolved.

They are each getting a ship from the Star Wars Hasbro collection.

They are each getting a Potato head - one gets Are-too and one gets the Spud Trooper.

I also got a collection of Star Wars action figures to break up and stuff into stockings.

They are both getting a set of 2 pair of Star Wars pajamas.

Finally, they are both getting a little Lightning McQueen lunchbox with a pair of boxers and a tank inside that can be worn as summer pajamas. The lunchbox is the big deal. They love boxes to carry their stuff around the house in.

This is the first year we have bought them much of anything. Usually the grandparents send so much stuff to open we haven't felt like they need more. In the past they have had maybe one special gift to share from us and the rest from grandparents.

This year, I realized they are getting so much more specific in what they like to play with, and the grandparents don't take suggestions at all. And much of what the grandparents send is small and laid aside quickly. I would like for them to have a few things they really like. So I decided to pick some gifts for them. They do not EVER get toys from a store while we are shopping - they don't even ask. They do not watch commercials. They do not make demands on us for toys. It feels good to me to be buying them each a few things I know they will really like for Christmas.

I was getting that Italian marble run, but one day, while hubby was deep in the pump house doing repairs, kiddo met the UPS driver, got the HUGE package, opened it, realized he'd sinned, and buried the box under a mound of toys. The delivery memo I found online actually said "delivered to a male child". Only one here.

He crumbled early, before the thumbscrews even, and removed all the toys but those covering the stripe running down the place he popped open the flaps of the Amazon box, hoping to the last I would not discover his breach of manners. Confronted at last, he claimed he didn't think it was his Christmas present because it was addressed to me, and if it were for him, it would have been addressed to him. Hmmmmm.

My 9yo daughter is definitely getting:

a large skelanimal (Kit), skelanimal tshirt, skelanimal candy (all from after Halloween sales---she already has a small Kit, throw and pillow from this set)

an Edgar and Ellen dvd set (ditto)

Drawing Comics is Easy (except when it's hard) by Alexa Kitchens

possibles:

a new bag for her camera (current one is a bit too snug) perhaps with a peace sign embroidered or appliqued on it--if I have time to make it

Fashionista Barbie

something from the Egyptian playmobil line

sampler of different colored duct tape

rubiks cube

piece of jewelry with peace signs on it

(something from this group will be from one of her grandparents--they give us money to buy and wrap something for her labeled from them)

I know her godmother is getting her another skelanimal, one of the Juku couture dolls and some clothes to go with it.

DD5 is getting a gel ant farm with a book about ants. She's getting a lab-in-a-bag set, a Webkinz pug, a Disney Collection storybook, 2 Zhu Zhu hamsters and their carriers, and an iPod Touch. From Santa she is getting a scooter board, a big art set, a table top easel, and a big box of craft supplies. Her stocking will consist of a few magic tricks, a movie, Webkinz cards, new jammies, a few pieces of candy, a Mickey Mouse pen, a small doll, a Squiggle travel drawing pad, a sippy cup, and a Mickey Vinylmation collectible figure.

DD2 is getting a Webkinz llama, a Wedgits set, a shape sorter, a Disney Collection storybook, magnetic wooden animals to use on our dry erase board, some Animalville figures, 2 Zhu Zhu hamsters and their carriers, and an iPod Touch. From Santa she is getting a scooter board and some wooden block people by Guidecraft. Her stocking will consist of a movie, a small doll, new jammies, a sippy cup, a set of Little People figures, a few pieces of candy.....and I still need a few more things for her stocking.

Thankfully, my kids grandparents and aunts ask about what they are interested in. I'm really trying to avoid the whole "junk toy and electronic toy" trend this year. I want to steer clear of that from now on. So from various family members, I know that my girls are getting the Playmobil Pet Clinic, gift cards to Build A Bear, a Disney Movie each, unit blocks, a Leapster game, and the Animalville Town Center. I also wrote down things like magazine subscriptions and stuff like that. Very very few actua toys!

DS12 is getting a new ipod, DSi, New cell phone, texting, some video games, video camera, boxers, socks and probably some clothes.

DD9, New cell phone, texting, Keyboard, new easy bake, a bunch of stuff from Justice, various games, can't remember what else

DS6 1/2- Guinea pig and cage, DSi, video games, drums, no idea what else

DD 3- McDonalds set, a bunch of leapfrog stuff- and the Lily Castle.

Edited by EarleneW

DS7 - Heelys (he's been begging for about three years now, and Mom won't get them but Santa will!), Legos, Wallace & Gromit movie

DS4.5 - Hula-Hoop, Pom-Poms, nail polish/bath beads, Calico Critters

Both kids are getting a Leapster game and Aussie candy as well as a Christmas ornament. I've already bought everything but the candy! Woohoo!

Captain Science (almost 9) is getting an iPod Touch that I got for trade, the dock for it, and a bean bag chair to wallow in on days he has the fidgets.

The Tank (3.5) is getting a Mr. Potato Head set, percussion instruments, and wooden cars.

Babypie (8 months) is getting a Waldorf baby doll, made by me, and various and sundry things a baby might need (shoes and such)

ds11 is getting a Dell netbook. I'm trying to convince him to get an HP, but he wants green, which HP doesn't make... He will also get one large lego set, a smaller set, Lego Rock Band for Wii, and probably a ds game. My mil and fil got him a really cool book for collecting coins that they found at BJ's, which will be a big hit. They also got him a big Transformers set from BJ's that he has been drooling over. I thought he was over that kind of thing, but I guess not.:001_smile: My mom will get him a Gamestop gift card, and our other family members will get him various gift cards or legos.

Ds came up with a really great gift for his dad this year - I have to brag! He designed his own chess set on Lego Digital Designer software, and he uploaded it so that we can purchase the kit. Chess is one of the father/son things they often do together. It's a mini chess set, and he thought it would be a good gift for when we travel with dh on business. He really puts a lot of thought into his gifts for everyone. :001_wub:

DS is getting a Leapster and some games from us, a hand-sewn cape from his sister, and a few other small things. His birthday is just a few days before Christmas as well. For his birthday he's getting a Buzz Lightyear doll and a tricycle.

DD is getting a telescope, a hand-made tic-tac-toe set, and I'm not sure what else yet. LOL!

The biggest problem we're having is that our kids don't NEED anymore toys. In previous years we've done "carnival Christmases" where they have had tons of toys to open...not on purpose, but we have a huge extended family and I usually find things on sale throughout the year and store them away for Christmas/birthdays. We're trying to scale back this year because the kids don't need it and I don't want more junk in my house. LOL!

DS 13 - Digital camera, new pjs

DS 12 - iPod Nano, Guitar Hero (combined gift - birthday, Christmas and from us and dh's parents!), new pjs

Ds 9 - Unicycle, new pjs

Dd 3 - my dad made her a HUGE dollhouse. We're buying her the Melissa and Doug room sets and dolls. It'll be a huge hit!!, new pjs

Family gifts - Wii Fit

My three are getting a trampoline! They will also get some small gifts under the tree.

Anna (9):

From the Wild Horsefeathers catalog:

a horse picture frame

a horse jewelry box

a poster

a tote

Emma (6.5):

matching American girl Pjs for her and her doll

a ballerina jewelry box

a bed for her cat (this is what she keeps asking for!)

Cora (who will be 4 on Dec 30th):

a cash register

a shopping cart

a baby doll that crawls (the only thing she has asked for)

a fairy jewelry box

They will get a few small stocking stuffers, and I always get them a few board games. I am thinking Operation, Life, and something else. Any good game suggestions?

Guest janainaz

We are getting a Wii and a basketball hoop for the driveway. I'm also getting ds5 some educational stuff (teaching time clock, magnetic calendar, Leap Frog Videos). Ds9 wants a few games and a remote control car.

DS9 is getting a ds lite and pokemon platinum and scribblenauts games for it, the last 2 Percy Jackson books, and a webkinz zumbuddies.

DD7 is getting stuffed sonic and shadow dolls and sonic movies, Zoo Tycoon 2 for the pc, a webkinz zumbuddies, a few books, and some new dress up costumes.

DS3 is getting puzzles, a diego doll, a few Thomas the train books, and a Christmas wooden Thomas the train.

They are all getting games also...Blokus, No Stress Chess, and Rush Hour Deluxe for the older 2, and a Thomas game for the 3yo.

They are getting new wii games also...haven't decided for sure what. Either Wii Sports Resort or the New Super Mario Brothers game...and a Diego wii game for the 3 year old.

They are all getting a few other small things also, but those are the big things.

Edited by momtolgd

DD 9 is getting a DS lite and a couple of games, a sewing kit that I am putting together for her, and probably some American Girl clothes. From Grandparents she will get a new velour sweatsuit, locket, Webkinz and a game or books. I think probably Bananagrams.

DS 5 is getting a New Orleans Saints football uniform, KEVA blocks, and a castle of some sort that he can use with his Playmobil knights and other knight sets (not spending on the Playmobil one). From the Grandparents he will probably get Legos, a Star Wars vehicle, Stomp Rocket or something like that.

Their list is on my desk.

17 yr old

iPod

New water color pencils

Overlord II xbox game (we got an xbox last Christmas, our first game system ever)

10 yr old

Chocolate truffles

Fruit candy canes

Mad libs (2, if possible)

Pocket Knife

Toy dragon

Changing color silly putty

If Santa were real, a horse, or a Saint Bernard puppy

15 (turning 16) yr old

Chocolate Truffles

Drum sticks

The Big 2 (xbox game)

I will also add a book or two for each of them to go in their stockings, a couple of family games, a DVD or two, and some Egyptian Playmobil for the 10 yr old

Edited by LibraryLover

Just curious. I have an 11,10,6 amd 3yr old and honestly I don't pay attention to what is out there really so I don't know what the fun toys are this year.

Would love to see what others are getting this christmas.

Wow! I have an 11, 10, 6 and 3 yo also! But my 6yo will turn 7 before Christmas.

We told my dc they are only getting one gift each this year (other than their stocking stuffers) because we are spending the Thanksgiving holidays in NYC to see the Macy's Parade and the Radio City Christmas Show. But, I'm sure we will break down and get them a couple of more small items. We don't do Santa, so they understand that Christmas presents are an expense to us. We usually get each child a book, a game, and two or three other items we know they want or would like. One item is usually a special, higher-priced gift. This year, our trip is the special, higher-priced gift.

DD Turning 5 at Christmas is getting: The Wii Crayola Game, Get Puzzled Leapster Game, the creature peeper, smencils, glitter ballerina sticker book, a wild america mini stuffed monkey and a couple of those plastic realistic looking animals for Christmas. For her Birthday she is getting:Wooden Dollhouse living room set and critter carnival.

DS turning 3y at Christmas: Wii jumpstart game, letterpiller leapster game, smencils, dream car sticker book, thomas the train piggy bank and realistic plastic animals.

For birthday: Baufix super drum (wood erector set)

DS turning 1 at Christmas: Wooden Giraffe toy from Melissa and Doug and a wood car

For his birthday: Push seal from Plan Toys

I forgot...I did the shopping for great grandparents TOO! That was even more fun because I had more to spend!!!

DD Christmas:Student Guitar, guitar case, pick, strap, and beginning guitar book . Boomwhackers for her birthday.

DS Christmas: Leapster and bucket of Gears Gears Gears to share with DD. Cito Dump truck for his birthday.

DS 1 Christmas: musical block set.

Birthday: wooden nesting blocks and plaskool ball popper set.

my almost 6 year old really wants a pillow pet too. But I have yet to see this commercial, but I think that DH is ordering her one.

She has asked Santa for Lulu the cat. Its one of those real animal things. Since DH is allergic, its the closest thing to a cat that she will get. LOL

We are also getting her a zoob add on pack (cars) and some Littlest Pet Shop things.

Grammie got her some LIV dolls.

DS 14 wants a hard drive for the Xbox

DD 13 wants a digital camera

DS 1 not sure~he really likes the Elmo Live. I am thinking of getting him a twilight turtle and whatever else I feel like buying :D

I'm not sure what we are buying for them yet. Will look at the ads on Friday and make some decisions.

Dd 11 is getting a small boombox, a Littlest Pet shop set, a set of Cat Warriors books and a Wii game.

Ds 7 is getting a Star Wars Turbo Tank, a Lego Star Was TIE fighter, a Star Wars Visual Encyclopedia and a Wii game.

They also get PJs and slippers for Christmas Eve. I don't know about stockings yet. I have Start Wars socks for the son and little external speaker for the daughter's DS.

The kids are getting some of these things from us, some from Santa, and some from their grandparents.

ds(10) - erector set, dartboard, something Lego, a robotics kit, movie tickets, an ant farm, new music stand, those triops-aquarium things, board games (How Things Work and a WWII game), books, and PJs

dd(7) - new sheet music and a music stand light, an American Girl doll and accessories, a hop-on ball, scrapbooking supplies, dress-up clothes/costumes, jewelry, board games, books, and PJs

ds(nearly 4) - something Lego, Colorforms, a piggy bank, animal masks for dress-up play, wooden toy food for the toy kitchen, a tape measure, magnetic marble run (Frigits), a puzzle, a foam sword, books, board games, and PJs

ETA: I forgot the littlest one! She'll be getting presents too, of course.

dd(new baby) - a name ornament, a taggies ball, a crib mirror, flannel crib sheets, fabric books, a Christmas stocking and a Santa hat

Edited by zaichiki

I have no idea either. After watching another episode of Glenn Beck the other night, I realized I really shouldn't use my credit card for gifts, which is what I had planned to do. We're driving 26 hours to my inlaws to spend 2 weeks during Christmas and we'll barely be able to afford that!

Any ideas for inexpensive gifts, especially for a 13 year old boy?

I'm reading Unplugging the Christmas Machine and hoping to find some ideas.

18yo: a Zune mp3 player, headphones, an X-Box 360 game, and a calendar.

15yo: an X-Box 360 game, several WWII books, a biography of "Patton", the movie "Patton", and some Axis & Allies figurines (he's a WWII buff, can't you tell?)

10yo: a few Lego kits, a Rock Band game for the X-Box 360, Pokemon cards, and a board game

7yo: an art kit, the Tag reading system and some books, some Disney DVDs, and a board game

I have no idea. The 13 year old wants a pair of Uggs (the real thing) which is so not happening. The 10 year old wants a cell phone which isn't happening either.

My 14 yo DD wants both the Uggs and the cell phone. It's not happening here, either.

Last year, her brothers bought her knock-off Uggs from Aeropostale, and you get what you pay for. They did not do the job, at least in response to New England weather.

Edited by RoughCollie

Any ideas for inexpensive gifts, especially for a 13 year old boy?

My teen guys really like getting Zits and Foxtrot comic book compilations!

Things are really tight here too. They were already tight and then my daughter has progressed so rapidly on flute that she needs a higher level model. I didn't expect to do that until much later but the perfect flute for her became available so we're tightening the belt in a big way and making it happen.

11yo daughter is getting the Martha Stewart glitter and embossing starter sets. I bought those last summer with 50% off coupons.

16yo is getting a new digital metronome/tuner, a furry hat, and a few books. It doesn't sound very exciting but exciting to him these days are expensive electronics.

My 13yo son has only given me one idea and I couldn't afford that, but I might go with a Leathman Multitool if I can find one on sale.

Together they'll be getting an inexpensive keyboard from a grandparent.

Santa will be leaving each of them a 4 pack of Starbucks Frapacinos under the tree.

The kids want expensive things, mostly updated high tech items like cell phones, iPods, laptops, desktops, digital cameras. I just cannot fathom buying 3rd generation iPod Touches when we just shelled out plenty of dough for the same thing a couple of years ago.

Instead, we are going to join the Y. The entire family will go there 3-4 times a week to work out and to play racquetball.

Of course, they will get other things like books, video games and iPod gift cards.

23yo - Laptop (going halves with his gf) and season tickets to an amusement park

21yo - no idea yet

16yo - X-Box games, X-Box live, clothes

12yo - itouch, boots, perfume

11yo - Wii games, a safe that locks, DS game, new BB gun, CHEM 1000 set

10yo - American girl doll, gym leotards, Wii games, Justice gift card

Plus books and games and things for their stockings.

DS15 Tools, Dremel w/ acc, Warhammer 40K $$ (for January when new items are due) and possibly a snow board.

DD11 Build-a-Bear items, label maker, Wii game Ski and Snowboard, misc small stuff. There is another bigger item she asked for but I don't remember what it is.

DD3 Wood doll house, tea party set, cookies/ice cream wood food sets, Doll like American Girl but cheaper by Goetz (she loves dolls), mic small stuff.