Menu

S/O: What do teachers think of homeschoolers?

I've heard a similar conversation somewhere....

Oh, yes, it was in a teacher's lounge.

Some teachers were discussing the type of parent who decides to home-school. The idea was that most people who would homeschool were inept parents -- their kids couldn't flourish in school because of their many behavior problems. The behavior problems were the fault of the not-so-bright parents. The parents obviously weren't too bright because, after all, they were ignorant religious freaks who wanted to brainwash their kids with no state interference. (Well, most of them...someone had heard of a 'normal' homeschooling family once...)

It was a bunch of women smugly criticizing and stereotyping a group of parents who they didn't really know much about.

I knew this conversation sounded familiar...

This post really made me start wondering what teachers really think of home school families. I wish I was a fly on the wall in a teacher's lounge! Does anyone have any experience with teachers and their opinions on home schooling? I know one experience couldn't really generalize, but I wish I could find a survey or something that reported a consensus of opinion in that regard.

I will report the experience I've had with some teachers. My daughter has had some developmental delays and was assigned a special ed and speech teacher for preschool. The special ed teacher seemed, to me, much friendlier and collaborative after I told her we were considering home schooling. Whereas before I felt she kind of "told' me what to do, after I told her we were thinking of homeschooling I felt as if she discussed options with me in a partnership and seemed to value my opinion. I am not exactly sure why she changed her attitude, maybe she was just glad to know I care about my child enough to consider options, but in any case I didn't get a feeling that she disliked home school families. I actually had a feeling that she respected me MORE after I told her we might home school.

Anyone else have experiences to share? I know some of the ladies on the board are or were teachers, have you ever had home school conversations with teacher colleagues?

It varies depending upon the personal beliefs of the teacher. Hubby is a teacher and the conversation comes up often enough.

1. Well, that is one way to circumvent the system. (From the teacher who thinks all children should be taught the values of the state).

2. Homeschoolers are all academically behind. (From the teachers whose only contact with homeschoolers are those who were put back into ps because their parents coudln't hack it anymore. It's a bit like a doctor saying that all people everywhere are sick because they only see sick patients.)

3. Homeschoolers are all socially inept. (See #2)

4. Why are parents taking all the good kids out of school? That just makes us look bad because our test scores go down. (Job security is HUGE. This is the number one comment. Teachers are just flat out afraid of the state coming in and taking over a school due to low performance).

5. Those parents will never be able to teach higher level math & science.

6. Those parents will never be able to get those kids to listen to them without peer pressure.

We do get A LOT of positive comments but usually they are not specific. It is more often, "Good for you," or "I wish I could do that." I get MORE negative comments from my Christian friends then I do from school teachers, in all honesty.

Edited by Daisy

I homeschool my own boys (4th year) and substitute teach at our local public high school (for the past 11 years)... Most of the teachers I know break homeschooling down in the same manner many college admissions reps have when they talked with me. Some people do it and do a great job, others really do their children a disservice and shouldn't be allowed to homeschool (their opinions, of course). It all depends on both the learning and the social abilities of the children in their opinion.

All of the teachers except one at my high school have fully supported my decision to homeschool my own (we started once the oldest reached high school). That last one just begrudgingly congratulated me last week after learning of my oldest's ACT scores (97th percentile). Interestingly enough, he is one of the more conservative Christian teachers at our school so it doesn't seem to have much to do with religious views - at least - not at our school.

Personally, I'm also glad my kids attended school their primary years - and that fact might sway some of the teachers' opinions when it comes to the socializing aspect. However, their general opinion (as stated above) still stands.

Sadly, I've seen many homeschoolers come into our public school without having learned many of the basics - and that does sway opinions. Others have come in and done very well. Others would have done better to stay homeschooled IMO. We have one boy now who was put in school as his parents felt he had a better chance of getting accepted into a good college if he attended high school. This just isn't true in our high school... the education there (or lack thereof) is what guided me toward homeschooling. He'll have no problem getting into 'a' college, but not one of the top ones. If he is fortunate enough to make it into a top college, he won't be well prepared for it.

I would imagine it's much like any other topic. If you ask enough people you will get a wide variety of answers. I knew one family that were homeschooling and the husband was a p.s. science teacher. If you asked him what kind of parents homeschool you would certainly get a positive reply, since he was the parent of homeschooled children. But I do think the idea that "regular" parents can homeschool their children and not "need" to enroll their children in public school brings out feelings of ill will from some p.s. teachers.

I've gotten the 'ah' response. It comes with raised eyebrows and a 'back away slowly' sort of look :p

I've also gotten some very excited responses, from those that knew my dcs. One teacher even asked to borrow SotW to help him teach his class :)

It's just like the 'tude from hsers towards teachers. Some think they're all inept and some think they're all different (some good, some bad, most a mixture of both).

Last year when we pulled ds12 out of school to homeschool the rest of the year, I spoke a lot with his teacher. She was actually very accommodating...even welcomed ds to come on all field trips, to all class parties, whenever he wanted to be there. So we were able to take the best of both worlds and it was a great rest of the year. (Ds ended up going on Fridays...which is out at 1:00 at our school...so he would do individual work from home, go to orchestra, have PE, eat lunch & have recess...all of the things he didn't want to miss.)

She did tell me that she had a student a few years previously who left to homeschool and she was so worried about him--the parents didn't seem to have a plan or know what they were doing. She said our situation felt so much different--here she & I were talking about curriculum and she offered to share all of her teaching files, any resources she had. She completely agreed with me that my ds would greatly benefit from homeschooling--the hardest part was that he would miss his friends & miss being a part of the class--she recognized that his social experiences were a part of his necessary development, which was why she was so willing to have him come & go as we could/wanted to.

She also shared with me that at one point she mentioned to another teacher friend at our school that she was sad to be losing a student (my ds)...the other teacher asked, "Why's he leaving?" When she responded that we were going to homeschool, the teacher rolled her eyes and said, "Oh, brother...what is up with these parents around here?" I'd imagine it all depends on the teacher...and the other homeschooling families they have had experiences with. It made me count my blessings that we weren't dealing with this other teacher--although we probably would have only lasted a few weeks in her class!

I'll also add that when I first approached the teacher that we were considering homeschooling, I didn't come right out and tell her that she was a terrible teacher who wasn't teaching my son anything (hmm...we might have felt that way a bit...but we certainly didn't say so!). I brown-nosed a bit and talked about all of the positive things that we had seen, so it wasn't an us against them type of situation. I think that made a huge difference in how things developed from there.

Well, I'll add my measly 2 cents. I only personally know 3 teachers; two of them homeschool thier own kids because they know the social ramifications of the schools in which they taught and don't want to subject thier kids to that environment, and the other wishes she could homeschool, but can't because she needs her job (hubby is a bit of a louse).

ETA when we pulled our kids from school, the administration agreed that homeschooling would be a good choice, but it was a school founded by other homeschoolers (and the school is now defunct).

From teachers I know who live outside of CA, I tend to get a sympathetic reaction ("of course you HS, CA schools are terrible"). From teachers I know in CA, I tend to get one of two reactions. Either it's the sympathetic one previously mentioned or else it's complete outrage at my "selfishness" for educating my kids at home rather than spending all my waging a crusade to improve the government-run schools.

...or else it's complete outrage at my "selfishness" for educating my kids at home rather than spending all my waging a crusade to improve the government-run schools.

:huh: I can honestly say that I have never heard that one before. How do you respond to that?

Interesting, isn't it, how many different ways people find to justify something?

Edited by LauraGB
forgot the word 'say'

:huh: I can honestly I have never heard that one before. How do you respond to that?

Interesting, isn't it, how many different ways people find to justify something?

I totally have! From my ex-boyfriend, of all people, who was getting his teaching certificate at the time. He now totally agrees with me homeschooling.

Edited by Sputterduck

Dh is a principal. We have had many different reactions to homeschooling over the years from people in our lives, but the reaction of his fellow school employees has always been positive. Our dc are in the schools volunteering or visiting, so they see them, and they all think we are doing well.

I have discussed with teachers homeschooling in general, and they are pretty accurate in their observations. They see many of the homeschool failures enrolled in school, but they understand that some homeschoolers do just fine.

I haven't had time to read the replies yet, but for the record:

I'm the one who posted the description of the teachers' conversation about homeschoolers.

It was hypothetical and intended to draw attention to the tone of the thread to which I was posting.

I was disappointed about the eager readiness of several posters to agree that, after all, Most Teachers aren't too smart.

One type is absolutely outrage because they believe me to be undermining the public system.

The other type of reaction is "good for you" from teachers who are real about the situation and know who I am. My cousin who teaches locally is very supportive but she is very realistic about public school.

She actually says out loud that getting thirty-five children to read and do math at grade level by the end of the year requires guerrilla warfare. She also says the amount of days that you can get two and a half hours worth of seat work in a ps 5th grade class could be counted on your fingers. I don't know other teachers who would say things this bluntly.

I really hope I used the right word for guerrilla. LOL.

As someone else has mentioned, if you ask a large enough group of anyone, including teachers, you'll get a pretty wide variety of responses. I think people's attitudes depend largely on their actual exposure to and experience with real, live homeschoolers.

My own experience has generally been positive, with a couple of notable exceptions. The majority of the homeschoolers I know are (or were) professionals, including several teachers and professors, who obviously have positive views of homeschooling. :001_smile:

Of the non-homeschooling teachers I know, one is a special ed. teacher with a very positive view of homeschooling; another is a former elementary school teacher (now stay-at-home mom) whose is attitude skeptical, at best. Actually, perhaps the worst attitude I've come across is that of the administrator of a local homeschooling co-op; but I think her attitude is as much the result of her apparent frustration at not running a real school as it is her distaste for outside-the-box children and their (picky, picky!) parents.

And then there's the shiny, new homeschooler I've recently met who is a former teacher, which makes for a somewhat, uhm, interesting attitude. She still has that almost visible "I have superior credentials to homeschool because I’m a Certified Teacher and all of you weirdos are just wannabes" chip on her shoulder. :001_rolleyes: In time, she’ll settle down, realize that her experience is not only less than that of many of her homeschooling peers but also perhaps less relevant, and the chip will wear away.

Edited by Trixie
typo

say they would HS! They explain the total dismal atmosphere in the classroom. They say that they would do it if they were in my shoes (teachers from our local school!)

My SIL who will become a teacher within the next few months (previous computer programmer) told me this after I asked her how her instructors view HSer's... "smarter!"

Now I know this is not true of all, but to have that blanket statement really isn't too bad. BTW, this statement was coming from Texas.:)

I come from a family of teachers and their reaction was skeptical and that it was just another of my nutty adventures.

I had one teacher from a very expensive private school get up and leave me in the middle of a conversation when I told her I homeschooled.

DD9's teacher's reaction when I told her I was homeschooling my son (then in 3d grade--dd was in first at that time) was that "I better not homeschool my daughter too." I told her it was up in the air at that time and dd actually started part of the next year. It made me very angry that she should say something like that. I'm sure it was the socialization myth as dd was a total social butterfly.

DD11's teacher OTOH actually told me she thought he and I would do great at homeschooling (yet she was the reason we were homeschooling in the first place).

I met w/our school superintendent recently over our local levy issue and he was supportive of homeschooling and choices offered to students. Our district just implemented part-time participation.

Laura

My mom taught for 34 years and now sells her classroom-written curriculum to homeschoolers. I taught public school for two years.

What both of us have run into the most as far as negative responses go is this: How can these mom think they can teach without all the education classes teachers go through. They have no certification!!!!!

This cracks us up since we both know that the VAST majority of education classes are COMPLETE DRIVEL.

It's not that they fear losing their jobs because of homeschooling. They know there will never be a majority of parents who would want to take it on.

They do feel threatened by the idea that "just anyone" can do the job they're trained to do. I mean ... what was all that time spent in class for then?:tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

I was reading some posts on the Proteacher.com forums over the weekend. The consensus about homeschoolers? Very, very good or horrid, as far as academic preparation goes. Very rarely did they see an average student come in. They were either really far ahead, or they hadn't been taught anything. I suspect in the second category are unschoolers (or those who hold to an unschooling philosophy in the early years).

it's complete outrage at my "selfishness" for educating my kids at home rather than spending all my waging a crusade to improve the government-run schools.

I got the same reaction from people in CA who thought I should keep my son in public school and just work alongside the school to make it better. I told them I was not going to sacrifice my son on the alter of "bad public school" because that was no guarantee of ANYTHING being better for later generations of kids. The whole argument is stupid.

As for what I've heard teachers say, I know a few ps teachers at church and they don't say much, really. The only other ps teacher who's said anything to me is my mother, who thinks they're not socialized appropriately then regales me with stories of kids having sex in the cafeteria or pulling knives on each other. I told her that wasn't quite the socialization I was looking for for my kids.

IME, the teachers I know seem to fall into two categories. There are those who have a very dim view of homeschooling because they have been in the position of having to pick up the pieces from several "failed" homeschooling attempts and think we all are struggling. Then there's the other group who personally know some good homeschooling families and have seen and can appreciate the benefits of homeschooling done well.

The certified teacher who does our portfolio review annually is very supportive. Every year after reviewing the work, she gives me a hundred positive comments about how what we are doing is what the teachers in her school are supposed to be doing but are unable to because of rules, teaching to the tests, personal philosophy, etc.

So far, the only serious negative interaction I have had with a teacher reached a point of me telling him that when his school was turning out students with superior test scores, was a safe and pleasant place to be, and was one where all students were meeting the minimum standards, then I would be glad to consult with him on ways to improve my instruction. However, that until he had "cleaned his own house" I did not welcome his presumption to tell me how to run mine. He got a funny look on his face and went for more bean dip!

My DD goes to speech therapy at public school. And while her speech teacher has never said anything negative about homeschooling, she always seems to quiz me on whether or not my DD is getting "outside activities." My DD is VERY VERY VERY shy. Did I say mention VERY? And I think that she thinks homeschooling is hindering her in that area....making her a "mama's girl" who cannot function without mama around.

Edited to add.....I saw a friend of a friend post something on Facebook the other day about homeschooling. She was obviously a teacher and mentioned how teachers always have to "pick up the pieces" of homeschooling families who are put back into the PS system. And how those children are always behind grade level. Well......HELLO, the ones put back into PS are most likely (not always) the ones where homeschooling is NOT working for them. People are not going to put their kids back into PS if homeschooling is working well. So teachers will rarely see those kids who are ahead of grade level. Which leaves the fact being that most homeschooled kids that teachers see will be the ones that are not doing so well.

Edited by ChristusG
added something

They were either really far ahead, or they hadn't been taught anything. I suspect in the second category are unschoolers (or those who hold to an unschooling philosophy in the early years).

Whoa, Nellie! My child certainly doesn't fall into that second category, and we were unschoolers for nearly the first decade of his life. I assure you he has learned/been taught plenty (and none of it through TV or video and computer games, to kill another common misconception).

We had an ongoing dialogue with the principal of the public school before we pulled my son out to homeschool him, and she was actually VERY supportive of homeschooling. She knew the school couldn't provide the resources that he needed through a one-day-a-week gifted class and was glad we had found a way to provide that full time accelerated education he needed. I know that attitude varies, but she is a great example of how not all public school employees dislike homeschooling.

Well, I don't know about all public school teachers, but I know obviously by the number that I meet irl and here on the boards that some think highly of it.

When I pulled dd out of school to homeschool her 6th grade teacher told her she was to smart to be homeschooled.:glare:

Ds's teacher on the other hand was very supportive and encouraging because she knew he would do very well in a one-on-one environment.

My neighbor, who is a teacher, seems to feel that I am a "good" homeschooler, but all those other homeschoolers are mostly dangerously uneducated. Which makes me feel vaguely like the token minority.

My SIL has mellowed out a lot about the idea and is now supportive. At first she thought I was deranged. (Well, possibly I am, but not about homeschooling....)

I taught in the public schools for 11 years. I have teachers all through my family.

I think any firm thought expressed on how teachers view homeschoolers must (necessarily) be as a big "broad brush" stereotype as any opinion of homeschoolers a teacher might hold.

My public school teaching friends are supportive. I got more concern from non teacher friends actually.

I will say that most of what public school teachers see of homeschoolers are the ones who are in serious discipline or attendance trouble and the parent pulls them out under the guise of homeschooling when everyone (parent/school/kid) knows nothing is going to happen educationally. That is mostly what I saw. But then no one I know would think this is what homeschooling looks like when it's really done.

I don't think most teachers believe what they do to be above the ability of an involved parent. This would be outside of specialized areas (high level math/science/some skills areas/etc.) where teachers might hold reservations if they didn't know the options out there in those areas.

I think most teachers know it's impossible to meet the needs of every single student in the class in any way that approaches ideal. I suspect most would be supportive if a parent is sincere about teaching their child. That's my broad brush stereotype anyway.

Edited by sbgrace

I'm sure there is a broad spectrum.

One retired principal friend of ours was very frustrated that he had to worry constantly about the results of state tests while homeschoolers didn't. I think it was an attitude of if the tests prove whether my school is satisfactory then why do homeschoolers get a pass.

I know several teachers whose families are or have homeschooled. Obviously they think that it is a valid option.

My SIL is a teacher. She has run the gamut from thinking homeschoolers don't quite get it socially, to saying she wished she could homeschool her son, to being annoyed that parents of underperforming students will tell her that if she doesn't do what they want then they will just homeschool (coming from parents who don't make sure that their children are completing homework, this is rather insulting). She's also expressed that she doesn't know what would happen to her students, who are mostly lower income and largely minority and frequently English language learners if homeschooling became more widespread. FWIW, I firmly believe that she is providing a service of love as much as just teaching. Her students are so needy.

My husband, a devoted and talented public school teacher, is the one who convinced me to homeschool. Every year he has a few 9th grade students who have been previously homeschooled.

With few exceptions, he has found them to be excellent students. He describes them as ready to learn, knowing how to really study, motivated, and well-prepared for high-school math.

The clincher for me, however, was an observation I'll never forget: "they seem to be able to see the social garbage for what it is, and rise above it."

He says his colleagues tend to agree with him.

My husband, a devoted and talented public school teacher, is the one who convinced me to homeschool.

Same here!! :iagree:

It was my public school teacher hubby who begged me to homeschool from the beginning. I feel badly now that I put him off telling him that I was too impatient to ever homeschool.

After first grade, we brought our oldest home and we've been homeschooling ever since. HE was the homeschooling fan first!

As many folks have already stated, most people are supportive. I have one friend who homeschools her four children while her husband teaches in private school (used to teach public but got a chance to coach football AND teach, so he swapped); I have another friend who teaches in public and who is incredibly jealous that I get to stay home and teach; yet another friend who is a former teacher - came home to be a stay-at-home mom - and who is now contemplating homeschooling her own. All these folks are wonderfully supportive, as I'm sure you can imagine.

The only naysayer I know was a former public school special ed teacher (retired young when her husband came down with cancer) who was worried about the caliber of education my son would receive at home, especially since he has special needs. We've run into her since, and she's done a complete 180 in her thinking as she's watched him flourish. I don't know that her opinion of homeschooling in general has changed, but if I can at least show her one instance of homeschooling success, it's something in my mind!

I didn't mean to cast aspersions on any individual homeschoolers. I just thought that the differences in philosophies might be a reason for the differing results. Of course it could also be differences in the skill of the homeschooling parent, or something else entirely.

My mom is a public school teacher. She has gone from feeling judged and defensive to being indignant over all the positive things my kids are missing out on (working in groups, meeting different kinds of people) to ridiculing me in front of family members for suggesting that many homeschoolers are somewhat self-taught in the older grades ("how on earth can she teach herself caculus??) to wondering if my life wouldn't be easier if I put my difficult son in school.

She started coming around a little when she saw how well my daughters are doing academically...and then her estimation of homeschooling took a leap forward when I showed her SOTW. She raves about it and talks about how much she wishes she could use it in her class. She asks the kids what they're learning in history. This has opened the door to our being able to share what they're learning and what they've accomplished a little more freely. She also seemed reassured by our participation in a public school program...I think the fact that we're being overseen by a "real teacher" makes her feel better.:001_rolleyes:

I think with my mom, a lot of the problem came from her feeling judged and defensive by the fact that I was rejecting the system that she had chosen for me and then worked for for so long. The more I don't seem like I'm judging her, the more she seems open to what I'm doing. I'm sure there are many more like her.

I didn't mean to cast aspersions on any individual homeschoolers. I just thought that the differences in philosophies might be a reason for the differing results. Of course it could also be differences in the skill of the homeschooling parent, or something else entirely.

Well, unfortunately for those unschoolers whose kids ARE getting a good education, I would guess that parents who really didn't do much of anything and end up putting their kids in public schools are far more likely to claim that they unschooled than that they followed, say, the classical model. And in some cases, maybe they really did think that's what they were doing.

Among the home educators I have met there are quite a few who are former teachers. Are they home educating because they are so disappointed at the quality of school education? Or is it that a trained and experienced teacher is more likely to feel confident about teaching her own children?

As for the views of non home educating teachers, the most common reaction I have heard of is the standard stereotype about home schoolers being academically superior but socially stunted. But reactions do seem to run the gamut from "Good onya" to "You must be insane", as they do within the general population.

I have several good friends that are teachers, and they are very supportive. When I pulled the girls out of school, they said that I was doing the right thing, and they would do it too if they could. Miranda's speech teacher is also extremely supportive, and is helping me get some tools for her continued speech therapy at home.

I really only had two teachers (at the schools) give me a hard time...one was just a grouch ALL the time anyway, and the other was losing his star student ;) He was of the 'sacrifice your child for the betterment of the school' camp too.

My sister is a ps teacher and she totally supported my homeschooling. She encouraged me to take my boys out in the middle of the year instead of waiting for the school year to end (way back in 1995). They were in a gifted program in the public schools. I won't go into why it was so bad. Those teachers thought I was going to ruin my kids by pulling them out.

My sister's daughter is also a teacher who is taking a break from teaching to stay home with her little ones. Right now it looks like she is planning to homeschool her children with her mother's full support.

I have only gotten positive comments from other teachers regarding homeschooling. I have even had a teacher from the local ps call me to help out a friend of hers who wanted to homeschool.

I always walk all my paperwork into the School Headquarters, it's just what I do (they tend to lose it otherwise). EVERY YEAR the staff is excellent, tell me how they wish they had HSed and wish me luck and tell me how I am doing a great thing for my children. When I used the CAT test one year, the lady looked at the results and asked if I could give some some of their teachers some pointers (obviously a joke, but made me feel good).

I often have teachers tell me if they could go back in time they would have HSed their kids.

Usually it is all positive.

I did have our preschool teacher tell me that HSing my oldest was the biggest mistake i could make (as he learned so much from other kids...um, yeah, that's part of why I wanted to HS him!) but that with my younger son it would be just fine. WHAT? She didn't know my younger son at all, only him being near me when I would pick Malcolm up.

I later found out that she was negative about anyone's school choice if it wasn't public. Most of the kids were going to catholic schools.

anyway, back to schoolin'

I think the problem is in assuming that "unschooler" necessarily means "radical unschooler." The "regular" unschoolers I know are all very active in their children's educations. They have to be because they don't rely on set curricula or workbooks.

I think what really makes for homeschoolers who haven't been taught anything is simply parents who don't teach anything or who don't allow their children to learn anything, whether because of the parents' own laziness or incompatible teaching methods/materials. While I do certainly see a large number of uneducated children who are radical unschoolers, I see a pretty fair number who are schooled at a desk.