Menu

Anyone NOT own even ONE credit card?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DH has a corporate card that he uses for travel and anything related to business - the invoices are scrutinized and the card can only be used for "XYZ" (firm name) matters.

We have a debit card; -- we have had no credit card balances for about one year -- we have ONE card that we use every couple of months just to keep it active - we purchase something (groceries, movie tix, something at the mall) and pay the bill in full when it comes.

Everything else, we pay cash -- hth:001_smile:

We don't have a CC or CHECKS, but use our debit card or cash for everything. Also use Paypal, or money orders in a rare case that a check has to be used.

We have purchased both airfare, and car rental with a debit card, so not sure where others have had problems with that.

We follow Dave Ramsey's plan. We do cash envelopes and only use our debit card for things like online orders or important instances where we can't use cash.

We have had no credit cards in the past few years, we paid down all debt, put away a nice 9 month emergency fund and we are currently living and will remain debt free ! Just working on paying off the farm now, hope to be clear of that in the next 7 or 8 years, God willing.

Right now I am working on Christmas shopping for my little ones with all cash and with money we had put into evelopes all year long to save for Christmas. It is so nice to know that we no longer will have all those awful after Christmas bills coming in January. The anxiety and dread from the thought of those after Christmas bills was once overwhelming, now it is gone.

Something I have been doing different the last two years is buying second hand for Christmas. I have been hitting yard sales, thrift stores and the GoodWill all spring & summer long to aquire nice toys, books and clothing for the children at very inexspensive prices. This has helped immensley to keep within our budget and still have a very nice Christmas for our six children.

I have picked up wonderful things this past summer and now into fall from yard sales and thrift stores. Lots of Lego sets, including some great Lego Dacta pulleys and simple machine sets that retail for over $100 dollars in stores for only $3.97 in practically brand new complete condition at our local GoodWill. I also find tons of playmobile sets, I purchased yesterday at some yard sales a HUGE shopping bag filled with some pirate playmobile sets for only $5.00. My boys will be thrilled this Christmas !

Last month, I got my 8 year old daughter a beautiful large handmade and handpainted wooden horse barn complete with built in stalls and horses for $3.00 at a yard sale. She is a HUGE horse lover and will be nuts for this well made toy. I'll throw in with the gift some nice encylopedia hardback books I pickedup up at the Goodwill on horses for 97 cents each and also the complete set of the Pony Pal books that I found at a yard sale earlier this summer for only $5.00 for the entire set of hardbacks. The books will be a nice educational accompiment to the gift.

I also picked up a toy she had wanted last year that was just way to pricey brand new in stores, it was the WowWee Robotic White Tiger cub that retailed for $59.99 last Christmas and I found last weekend at a yard sale in perfect working condition for only $5.00. This will be her favorite gift, she loves playing vet to her plush friends !

I got my 11 year old son some fun magic trick kits, some magic trick books, a "learn to juggle kit and book" and my very favorite find a Snap Circuit set in brand new still factory sealed condition all for only $3.50. He's been wanting a Snap Circuit set for the last few years and I am so excited to be able to give him one this year !

I just take the toys home, clean them up real nice if they need it and put them into a pretty box and wrap them up. My kids could care less if they come new in original package or not, I just tell them that Santa has gone Green and is saving money and being environmentally friendly by skipping those cumbersome boxes these past few years. This not only saves our family tons of money but also helps to eliminate all the torture we used to go through on Christmas morning trying to get the toy out of it's package prision of plastic ties and plastic holders that took us hours to take apart and then assemble.

I also find incredible deals on homeschooling books at my local GoodWill. This past summer some of my favorite finds were the second edition of "The Well Trained Mind" in hardback for 97 cents in great "gently used" condition. I picked up also the much coveted by me book "The Well Educated Mind" in paperback for only 47 cents and yesterday while perusing the GoodWill for awesome houseware finds I found "Cathy Duffy's Best 100 Homeschool Picks" in paperback also for just 47 cents. I find tons of homeschooling curriculum with names like Saxon and Abeka complete with Teachers Guides for 47 cents for paperback and 97 cents for hardbacks. The Goodwill is one of my favorite weekly haunts to find great homeschooling deals and to save a fortune every year.

As gifts for my 21 year old daughter, I pick her up really nice Brand Name designer and fashionable clothing at yard sales, thrift stores and the Goodwill for really inexspensive prices. I even found her a genuine and authentic Juicy Couture purse at a yard sale for just 5.00 that she will love for Christmas this year.

If you are trying to save money, cut down on exspenses and live a debt free lifestyle, then hitting the GoodWill, thrift stores and yard sales are really a great way to go to economize and live a simpler way of life. Not to mention, it gives double points in the karma area for being Green because you are recycling items and cutting down on waste in landfills. You can't beat that !

No CC. We only have debit cards. We have never-ever-not-even-once had anyone refuse to take our $ b/c it wasn't in the form of a CC. Our debit cards have the same protection against fraud as a CC, PLUS we bank through a small town bank and we get a *personal* call if something out of the ordinary was purchased on our card.

We paid off our last CC about 6 years ago and haven't used a CC in probably 7 years. We aren't debt free (thanks to student loans:glare:), but we are headed that way.

Just curious to see if one can live in this world without one. We have one and we have decided to close it out on Monday. We do have a debit card however but that will be all. Any opinions? Is this not a smart move or does it really matter?

We have one, but haven't had any debt in years. We keep it just in case (which has only been a handful of times when the debit card wouldn't swipe for whatever reason), and it's paid off immediately (we would never use it to buy something we couldn't pay cash for). Actually, dh had to use it recently to keep it active, so it's not used often at all. But, it's nice to have a backup way to pay, just in case.

Credit card and debt free for 6-7 years now.

I have never had a problem with my debit card.

The only thing you may have trouble with is renting a car. Some car rental places will not take a debit card and others will take a large deposit that they will return after you return the car.

We have NEVER had a problem buying air tickets, renting a car, or booking hotels, ever. And we travel quite a bit.

We have not used credit cards in over 5 years.

Susie

We used to not own a credit card. But we occasional like to take a trip and air travel and/or renting a car has become almost impossible without one.

We never have a balance on ours.

We have 1 CC and I have my debit card. The CC gets paid off every month and is barely used... except for emergencies or other weird things.

We have zero debt, paid our house off 10 years ago, paid cash for our new car (5 years ago) and have a decent amount of savings. We are so frugal it is crazy! My husband is self-employed and if we weren't that way, we would be in bad shape.

I think of all the people I know (except my friend who's husband is working on his PhD, and therefore is already living this life) we are the only ones who have not had a significant lifestyle "adjustment" due to the crappy economy.

I don't have a regular one. I have a prepaid one, I put $$ oon it when I need it. It is good to have for online purchases, hotel reservations etc. It is great to have the benefit of having a cc without the worry of debt kwim. I treat it ike cash, I can only spend what I actually have kwim

I think the US version of a "debit card" is different than the Canadian version, because you can't buy things online with a "debit card" as I know it... a "debit card" is just your bank card - the thing you can use at a bank machine (ATM/ABM) or at a store in the card slider thing. To buy airline tickets online, you need a credit card - or, I guess you could go to the airport or a travel agency and use cash/debit card/cheque (though almost nobody takes cheques anymore, not even the grocery stores here).....

I think the US version of a "debit card" is different than the Canadian version, because you can't buy things online with a "debit card" as I know it... a "debit card" is just your bank card - the thing you can use at a bank machine (ATM/ABM) or at a store in the card slider thing. To buy airline tickets online, you need a credit card - or, I guess you could go to the airport or a travel agency and use cash/debit card/cheque (though almost nobody takes cheques anymore, not even the grocery stores here).....

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the posts mentioning debit cards and cheque use. My cheques only get used for things like dd's cheer fees, and debit cards here are only for interac purchases and can not be used like a credit card. HEck you can't even rent a carpet cleaner from the grocery store without a credit card.

We have both ATM card and the debit card here. The debit card (connected to a checking account) has a typical 16 digit Visa number. The ATM card does not and only works at ATM machines and certain (maybe most?) stores. You can't use an ATM card online.

I haven't had either a working ATM or debit card in years but really should get one again. It sure was convenient, and I knew better than to charge more than I would normally spend if I were at a store writing a check.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the posts mentioning debit cards and cheque use. My cheques only get used for things like dd's cheer fees, and debit cards here are only for interac purchases and can not be used like a credit card. HEck you can't even rent a carpet cleaner from the grocery store without a credit card.

Yep, look at darlasowders' post right above...we're talking about a totally different thing. :)

Ha, want to know something funny? I've actually never written a cheque in my life. We have some, but they only have dh's name on them - and, like you just mentioned, they pretty much just get used for kid fees (dh wrote one for choir the other week)...and for rent. (Landlord takes 6 post dated cheques at a time)

When Canadians say "debit card", it seems that we mean what Americans only call "ATM card" ....there is no sorta-like-a-credit-card version of a debit card here, far as I know. Never heard of it anyway...

I ended up getting one for my business recently. I have had 4 children, bought a home 8 years ago and have been married 10 years without one. There was never anything I needed it for but chose to get one for my wohm business for convenience.

Sara

We have a debit card, which works off our checking account. No credit cards.

My hubby has an American Express for his business (he's self-employed), which is paid off every month.

We haven't had any problems. I use the debit card for 99% of our stuff that requires a "credit card" and for reserving hotels and things like that, we use the American Express.

So we have no credit card debt at all.

None here. We used to have them, but none for about 2 years now. It took an adjustment but, wow, what a great feeling knowing that some can't-remember-where-I spent-THAT-much bill is not going to show up in the mail box.

DH does have an American Express corporate card for business expenses, but reconciles that every month and none of the funds involved are ours personally. He has known others to get into trouble from using their corporate card for personal expenses, and getting in over their heads, and that's not pretty.

No CC. We only have debit cards. We have never-ever-not-even-once had anyone refuse to take our $ b/c it wasn't in the form of a CC. Our debit cards have the same protection against fraud as a CC, PLUS we bank through a small town bank and we get a *personal* call if something out of the ordinary was purchased on our card.

This is us. We're not in a small town, but we bank at a credit union and they are great to work with.

We haven't had a CC in over three years. With all the news about the ridiculous things CC card companies have been doing lately, we are soooo glad not to have to deal with them.

Just curious to see if one can live in this world without one. We have one and we have decided to close it out on Monday. We do have a debit card however but that will be all. Any opinions? Is this not a smart move or does it really matter?

We had paid off all our debt and cancelled our one credit card. We found, over time, that it was an annoyance not to have one. We couldn't reserve a hotel room, or rent a car, or if we needed it, order almost anything online. So, we have the one card, but rarely use it. When we do, we treat it like writing a cheque -- once we've used it, we pay it off within the week.

We no longer do credit cards and have been off them about 7 years. We are cash only. It is an adjustment, but it can be done. I highly recommend Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover.

I posted earlier... but like DR, our system is based on a green dot Debit (VISA) card (not linked to a checking account... we have no banking accounts). We pay via the debit or money orders. And use an envelope system for cash allowance. It works. The green dot/VISA can be used anywhere -- stores, online, hotel, car rental, hotel, etc. Costs us $3 a month in fees. $3 to load the card with cash or it is NO FEE if we deposit our paycheck on the debit card. I get an automatic iPhone reminder of my current balance daily which helps $$$ bookwork on keeping to the penny. lol

https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/AcctMgmt/Controls/Walmart/Support/Products.aspx

Edited by tex-mex

We have a few but never put anything on them that we can't pay when the bill comes in. The exception to that rule are same as cash deals like Lowes, and then it is paid before the promotion period is up. We travel, and do too many things that would be difficult with out a cc. Plus, we have a decent rewards program, that we fully benefit from since we always pay off the balance. I've never had a debit card as they don't have them same legal protections regarding fraud. Yes, a bank/credit union can offer one that has equal protection but the law doesn't require it. That's always made me a bit skittish. Plus, we've never had any issues with the credit cards. In fact, we got our now 19 year old one when he was 16. Made us feel better when he traveled on his own to visit family. So glad we did as he got stuck on a layover, over night, and would not have had enough cash to eat all the extra meals he needed at the airport.

We have no reason to forego a standard credit card. We have two ~ one business, one personal ~ and use them almost exclusively, paying off both in their entirety each month. Very handy. Btw, debit cards don't offer the same level of consumer protection as do credit cards. We do have a debit card but I rarely use it.

I get Dave Ramseys "no credit card" policy however.... the one we have, IF we use we pay it off in full whe the bill arrives. I had two problems with using debit cards as credit cards. I rented a car and the rental company put a $700 HOLD on my funds as insurance AND charged me for the rental car. I lost access to that $700 for 5 days. Secondly problem was recently when a cruise line put a $2000 HOLD on my account which was suppose to release when they put the room charges on. It was a Thursday afternoon & the $$$ didn't release until the following Monday morning. Sooo.. if you have spare cash for those holds, I see no problem. I like the fact that with a credit card I can, if I need to, dispute the charges and not be out any cash!

Sooo.. if you have spare cash for those holds, I see no problem. I like the fact that with a credit card I can, if I need to, dispute the charges and not be out any cash!

:) You do bring up a good point... we try to ask in advance when using the debit of any HOLD charges. Recently, knew that Hertz would stick a $300 hold on a car rental. Made sure the debit had the extra amount. Took 7 days to get the $$ credited back. No problem. But you do have to read the fine print.

We no longer have credit cards but still have some of the dept:glare: from them. Hubby has read the Dave Ramsey book first borrowed from a friend and then I bought it with a 50% Borders coupon. Now he has little notes in the book.:glare:

While we do have a debit card, he wants us to use cash on everything and doing that has actually been better than using the cards since recently some of the local places to go to had their machines or computers down. Some are like wow cash. :) It's a dying breed.

It's hard to get use to and hard to save up but it's helping with my impulse buying issues.