Menu

Strange Cable Problem

1. Cable guy comes to the door to collect $. We don't have cable. He's a smidge creepy, but I'm paranoid, the whole thing lasts less than 5 min.

2. Different cable guy comes to the door about a week later. I tell him we've never had cable. He laughs & says, "Riiiiiight." Says he just wants the $ owed to the co. or their cable box. I tell him I don't have anything; he walks around the house; I call dh.

Guy comes back to the front door, & I ask for his card. He laughs at me again. I ask for his name. He's getting cagey, & gives me the name of the guy who came out the week before: "The last guy's Jorge. You can call me Woody. We're nobody." Refused to give further info, drove an unmarked truck, & told me to call Charter.

3. Charter is friendly but refuses to stop sending guys out until I *come in* to their office with proof that I live here. Um...no. I don't have time, but it's also not your business. Contact the guy who has the account.

4. 2 days later, another guy comes out, parks in my backyard. I call campus security, who talks to them extensively, comes around, & tells me he thinks it's taken care of, they won't be back, I don't have to do anything else, but please call security again if they do continue to be a problem.

5. Housing starts calling me. (Our home is rented from dh's school.) Previous owner has been locked out of his Charter email acct. Does not have access to over 2,000 emails that are a part of his business & needs us to help him. It won't cost us anything, but if it does, he'll pay us back. Um...what?

So I agree to take the guy's # & see if dh will call him, but knowing we're both such pushovers, I'm hoping dh won't. (He didn't.)

6. Housing calls back; this time it's someone new, & she's mad that we haven't called this poor guy because now it's the weekend. She doesn't know what all's going on, so I fill her in a little, but she still thinks it's awful of us not to call him. I mean, all he wants is to be able to do his business.

She says that Charter wants to come in to our house, plug something in & that it will only take about 2 hrs. She said maybe we could get Charter to come out on a Sat when dh is home, so I'll be more comfortable. And again, she said it shouldn't cost us anything.

Tell me you think this whole thing is nuts. Tell me there's not some magical plug in my house that Charter needs access to in order to give this guy access to his acct. Because this is just weird, & I don't like it.

Sounds very odd. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting them in either. I've never heard of them needing to come in to switch service. Usually they just do it from the office.

If Housing insists on you letting them in, I would require a rep from housing and security to be there. Any company that sends guys out to your house without ID, and has them prowling around your yard does not sound trustworthy.

And why hasn't this other guy paid them? Sounds like he's locked out due to non payment.

1. Cable guy comes to the door to collect $. We don't have cable. He's a smidge creepy, but I'm paranoid, the whole thing lasts less than 5 min.

2. Different cable guy comes to the door about a week later. I tell him we've never had cable. He laughs & says, "Riiiiiight." Says he just wants the $ owed to the co. or their cable box. I tell him I don't have anything; he walks around the house; I call dh.

Guy comes back to the front door, & I ask for his card. He laughs at me again. I ask for his name. He's getting cagey, & gives me the name of the guy who came out the week before: "The last guy's Jorge. You can call me Woody. We're nobody." Refused to give further info, drove an unmarked truck, & told me to call Charter.

3. Charter is friendly but refuses to stop sending guys out until I *come in* to their office with proof that I live here. Um...no. I don't have time, but it's also not your business. Contact the guy who has the account.

4. 2 days later, another guy comes out, parks in my backyard. I call campus security, who talks to them extensively, comes around, & tells me he thinks it's taken care of, they won't be back, I don't have to do anything else, but please call security again if they do continue to be a problem.

5. Housing starts calling me. (Our home is rented from dh's school.) Previous owner has been locked out of his Charter email acct. Does not have access to over 2,000 emails that are a part of his business & needs us to help him. It won't cost us anything, but if it does, he'll pay us back. Um...what?

So I agree to take the guy's # & see if dh will call him, but knowing we're both such pushovers, I'm hoping dh won't. (He didn't.)

6. Housing calls back; this time it's someone new, & she's mad that we haven't called this poor guy because now it's the weekend. She doesn't know what all's going on, so I fill her in a little, but she still thinks it's awful of us not to call him. I mean, all he wants is to be able to do his business.

She says that Charter wants to come in to our house, plug something in & that it will only take about 2 hrs. She said maybe we could get Charter to come out on a Sat when dh is home, so I'll be more comfortable. And again, she said it shouldn't cost us anything.

Tell me you think this whole thing is nuts. Tell me there's not some magical plug in my house that Charter needs access to in order to give this guy access to his acct. Because this is just weird, & I don't like it.

Um, yeah, Aubrey, I'm with you. I'm assuming 'Charter' is the company? It all sounds WAY too fishy for me. I'd not let ANYONE in my house if I were you.

Unmarked truck, shady dealin's; doesn't sit well with me.

I had an ABSURD enounter with a door-to-door sales woman that left me feeling as if I had been 'punked' or something. :) I say, go with your gut. If this seems fishy to you, then don't allow it. It does NOT make sense to me that someone would need to be in your home to access their email. :confused:

Totally nuts.

I would call the cable company directly and tell them that you are being harassed. DO NOT call the number they gave you. Look up the number yourself.

Also, call the housing department and ask them to stop harassing you. You don't have to let anyone in your apt. without proper identification. Next time those men come by, call the non emergency police number and tell them you are being harassed.

Thanks, guys. Dh just called & was about to call housing & tell them ok. We were quite...intense...about our perspectives. He was finally convinced by y'all's responses. He's a sweet guy & is really worried about this other guy. I'm sorry for him, but I don't want to be part of the mess, kwim?

I don't get why this guy needs to come to your house? If his information is online with a charter account shouldn't he be able to access that information from any cable connection or internet? Maybe that is set up differently.

I would be greatly concerned about letting someone else in your home, then they could claim you did have cable into your home. Would that open you up to liability for the bill.

Too bad for this guy, how does he know how many e-mails he has if he can't get into his account?

My dh would probably cut the cable line and then no one could access it. But he's like that.

Besides haven't you lived there for months and NOW it's an issue? Has he been continuing to use that address for his account? Fishy, fishy, fishy...And make sure you lock your doors!

Besides haven't you lived there for months and NOW it's an issue? Has he been continuing to use that address for his account? Fishy, fishy, fishy...And make sure you lock your doors!

Yes. He's moved to S Tx, & Charter doesn't service that area, so from what I understand, he's just continued using this service address. I have NO idea how that works, but when security left the other day, he said it sounded like the guy was scamming the cable co.

From other stories I've heard about this particular cable co, I'd sooner believe it was them doing the scamming than this guy, but either way--I don't want anybody in my house. I don't want any part of whatever it is.

I don't get why this guy needs to come to your house? If his information is online with a charter account shouldn't he be able to access that information from any cable connection or internet? Maybe that is set up differently.

There's no reason they should need to get into your house. The cable company should be able to give the guy all the info (IP address, passwords, etc.) that he needs to access his email account from wherever he's at now. If for some reason he can't from where he's at, the cable company should be able to download his email themselves and forward it to him at a new email address. I just don't see what all of it has to do with your house and would not let them in.

That sounds very bizarre and I would not let them near my home. I'd call Charter and offer to get a restraining order against their company if they continue to trespass onto my property, not to mention harassing us. As for needing to access your house for email, unless he left a disc or his computer, I can't imagine what your house has to do with his email. He could go to the library and access it, assuming he paid his bill.

Sounds like they're casin' the joint, so to speak.

Sounds very odd. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting them in either. I've never heard of them needing to come in to switch service. Usually they just do it from the office.

If Housing insists on you letting them in, I would require a rep from housing and security to be there. Any company that sends guys out to your house without ID, and has them prowling around your yard does not sound trustworthy.

And why hasn't this other guy paid them? Sounds like he's locked out due to non payment.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

That sounds very bizarre and I would not let them near my home. I'd call Charter and offer to get a restraining order against their company if they continue to trespass onto my property, not to mention harassing us. As for needing to access your house for email, unless he left a disc or his computer, I can't imagine what your house has to do with his email. He could go to the library and access it, assuming he paid his bill.

Sounds like they're casin' the joint, so to speak.

Goodness, Aubrey, this could be your next great story. Not to scare you, really, but wouldn't it make a great plot if it wasn't the cable company and something was hidden in your house.

Seriously, if anyone else comes by I'd call the police.

Those guys aren't from the Charter company. They are people most likely sent out by the former resident. He's scamming the cable company. His lockout by the cable company is something he takes up with the cable company. It has nothing to do with your residence.

The fact that they have no id is a big tipoff even if they are a contractor. Cable contractors should have ids. Call the police next time and I don't mean university police.

That sounds REALLY fishy to me. I wouldn't let them near my house with a ten foot pole. I would look up the number to the cable company directly, ask to speak to someone with authority, and explain the whole situation and that these people are using the cable company's name and trying to enter your home. See what the powers that be say about it.

If it still sounds fishy after speaking with the cable company, I'd call the non-emergency number to the police department and explain it to someone there.

And if you see the vehicle again, I'd get the tag number.

Goodness, Aubrey, this could be your next great story. Not to scare you, really, but wouldn't it make a great plot if it wasn't the cable company and something was hidden in your house.

Ok, see it's when I start talking like that that dh starts nodding, patting my shoulder, & ignoring me. I'm feeling like we've got gold or a body or something.

Actually, the kids did dig up buried treasure in the back yard after we moved in. It was a cute little pirate box filled w/ plastic kid toys. They thought they had ARRIVED. :lol:

Dh called housing, & the director agreed w/ me. There was no mention of the girl who called, so at least there's peace in our house, lol. Dh really thought I was being mean.

And I forgot to mention--security said these guys' trucks do have one of those magnetic things that says the name of the co they work for, but they're on the tailgate. I just couldn't see them.

So...I don't know. Whatever. I'm locking my doors & turning out the lights. Just don't come ring my doorbell & say BROWNIES, or I might forget & answer. :001_smile:

Those guys aren't from the Charter company. They are people most likely sent out by the former resident. He's scamming the cable company. His lockout by the cable company is something he takes up with the cable company. It has nothing to do with your residence.

The fact that they have no id is a big tipoff even if they are a contractor. Cable contractors should have ids. Call the police next time and I don't mean university police.

I agree!

There is nothing normal about this.

Call the REAL police if they bother you again~

Dawanna

Ok, see it's when I start talking like that that dh starts nodding, patting my shoulder, & ignoring me. I'm feeling like we've got gold or a body or something.

Actually, the kids did dig up buried treasure in the back yard after we moved in. It was a cute little pirate box filled w/ plastic kid toys. They thought they had ARRIVED. :lol:

Dh called housing, & the director agreed w/ me. There was no mention of the girl who called, so at least there's peace in our house, lol. Dh really thought I was being mean.

And I forgot to mention--security said these guys' trucks do have one of those magnetic things that says the name of the co they work for, but they're on the tailgate. I just couldn't see them.

So...I don't know. Whatever. I'm locking my doors & turning out the lights. Just don't come ring my doorbell & say BROWNIES, or I might forget & answer. :001_smile:

So is the girl who called from housing real or just someone posing as a housing staff member??

Are you sure that you don't have a loot of stolen gold or jewels hidden in your place??? Maybe those guys left something behind a wall?? :lol:

So is the girl who called from housing real or just someone posing as a housing staff member??

Are you sure that you don't have a loot of stolen gold or jewels hidden in your place??? Maybe those guys left something behind a wall?? :lol:

Her # showed up right, & she knew the name of the guy I was talking to before. I think she's legit.

As to the treasure in the walls...I do love a good remodelling project, & the kids & I were just talking about which wall we'd take out if we could...

if only we could be sure it was jewels & not a body! ;)

Her # showed up right, & she knew the name of the guy I was talking to before. I think she's legit.

As to the treasure in the walls...I do love a good remodelling project, & the kids & I were just talking about which wall we'd take out if we could...

if only we could be sure it was jewels & not a body! ;)

Ok, as long as we're indulging the whole conspiracy theory--temporarily--they're very focused on the master bedroom. Even that doesn't make sense, does it? I mean, there are cable plugs in every room.

And this rm is an add-on. With its own outside door. And there's a weird square in the carpet where the grain doesn't match.

Ok, I'm done. Really. :lol: My imagination gets me into SO much trouble!

It's time to break out the pry bars and tear down some walls! You could be rich :)

No kidding, plastic pirate boxes aside, there could be some loot under the stairs!

Bizarre.

I had a contracted Comcast person come out and proceed to cut my cable, despite us telling them it was paid up to date.

Turns out he should NOT have done what he did.... we were like $5 behind - because it was set up on autopayment and they, Comcast, had NOT notified us when the rate when up.... because we had a credit balance. :rolleyes: (they have since done it AGAIN).

But no way would i be letting them in... they don't NEED to do anything at your house for 2 hours. Sounds like he's sending them with a computer to download it all.

Not your problem.

But i'd take up the carpet and see what is under there ;)

Access to email has nothing to do with physical location. You can access email from any internet location. He needs to go through the cable company, not your home, to get what he needs.

I don't care if there was a magnetic sign on the back of their truck, I'd call the police if they show up bugging you again. They are not acting like legitimate business people. Cable companies don't knock on your door demanding payment or their box; they bill, they cut off your service, they send it to collection.

Access to email has nothing to do with physical location. You can access email from any internet location. He needs to go through the cable company, not your home, to get what he needs.

I don't care if there was a magnetic sign on the back of their truck, I'd call the police if they show up bugging you again. They are not acting like legitimate business people. Cable companies don't knock on your door demanding payment or their box; they bill, they cut off your service, they send it to collection.

:iagree:

Then tear up the floorboards and FIND THE LOOT!

(How's the new baby? Every time I see your smiling face I think, oh how's the weather going! :lol:)

That is what we thought too.... which is why we let the jerk climb the pole and cut the cable (and made them send someone else out to fix it the next day).

BUt he had a Comcast Invoice, and they said they did hiring local independent contractors to do door to door collections in this area. Ours didn't have ID on him, and did just have a magnetic sign on the back of his truck.

Ok, as long as we're indulging the whole conspiracy theory--temporarily--they're very focused on the master bedroom. Even that doesn't make sense, does it? I mean, there are cable plugs in every room.

And this rm is an add-on. With its own outside door. And there's a weird square in the carpet where the grain doesn't match.

Ok, I'm done. Really. :lol: My imagination gets me into SO much trouble!

I'd be pulling up the carpet. I'm betting he really wants his drug stash!

Wow, the warning bells are going off big time as I read this....no way would I let them in my house.

And sorry, but unless this company does business different from the REST of the world, they do NOT have to do ANYTHING in or house to re-connect HIS email account. All of that is done internally, unless of course he plans to bring his laptop to your house to plug it in!!

Nope, tell him he's on his own, he can call Charter and get them to hook up temporarily for him in his own house. Or he can go to their offices and hook into their system. Nothing in your house needs to be involved for him to get his mail.....it's on THEIR server in their office/warehouse....not in your house!

Sounds strange to me as well. There is no way in heck, I would let a stranger in my house. I don't care where they are from or what they want. Nor would I be making any phone calls or going into any offices to take care of this. This is between this man and the cable company and has nothing to do with you, what-so-ever. There is no legitimate need for them to come into your house. They can turn off the cable without accessing your house. I use Charter cable and have had them to my house a few times. They use company vans and their agents wear company clothes. They also have business cards. How did they get your phone number? And when you say the man walked around your house do you mean outside? You didn't already let them in did you? In any case, I think I would file a police report and if you have to talk to the housing office or security again refer them to the officer that takes your report. Also, if they come back tell them that you have filed a report and that you are calling the police and then do so. ANd do let us know if there are any more developments in this weird situation.

Nope, tell him he's on his own, he can call Charter and get them to hook up temporarily for him in his own house. Or he can go to their offices and hook into their system. Nothing in your house needs to be involved for him to get his mail.....it's on THEIR server in their office/warehouse....not in your house!

That's why it's called e-mail, duh! :001_huh:

I've been thinking about this and you might give a call to your police station anyway. Perhaps they are trying this scam with other people in the area.

I would call the regular police and ask them to send an officer to talk to you. If you can get the person's name that lived there before, I would give it to the officer. You may ask if there is any way you can have the drug/bomb sniffing K-9 unit into the house to search for paraphernalia. The police may know of the person who lived there, and can see if there is a record of them and their activities. I would ask for extra of the officer's cards, and if anyone comes knocking, first call the police, ask for the officer to be sent over if they are on duty, then tell the visitor they can discuss it with the officer, and close the door.

Any one can make or steal an ID, letterhead, invoice, or magnet sign. It means nothing,it isn't like you have anything to compare it to anyways.... so don't let a shiny piece of plastic convince you of anything. If they offer you a card, take it or ask them to leave it on your door step (I personally wouldn't even open the door). This will at least give you something to verify. If they don't have a business card, ask them to leave a paper with a letter head, a blank receipt for services, or something that shows the company exists. I wouldn't expect the 'evidence' to prove the do exist....merely that they don't!

There are so many red flags on this, that I can't imagine any good is involved.

Maybe you've already done this...but, have you called the cable company to verify if these men are legit? The cable company would have a record of an account for your home and whether or not someone was sent to the home on a call. If they have no record of this, then you have every reason to call the police ASAP. Why wait? Why wonder what's up? Investigate it on your end to find out what's going on.

I would be concerned that this other person has an account possibly in your name or at the very least is using your address. If that's the case, it still needs to be dealt with in some manner. He is in the wrong. The company needs to be made aware that they have been given false information. Ignoring it won't make it go away.

I know we'd be more proactive. Dh or I would call the cable company and demand to know what is going on.

Does your toilet rock when you sit on it? Our house used to be owned by a felon (armed robbery). We couldn't figure out why our toilet moved when we sat down. Dh went to fix it and found out that the toilet wasn't bolted down. You could lift it up and get to a very nice hidey-hole underneath! Fortunately the hole was empty. I did have some fears that something was hidden somewhere in this house, but no "cable guys" have showed up here.

Maybe you've already done this...but, have you called the cable company to verify if these men are legit? The cable company would have a record of an account for your home and whether or not someone was sent to the home on a call. If they have no record of this, then you have every reason to call the police ASAP. Why wait? Why wonder what's up? Investigate it on your end to find out what's going on.

I would be concerned that this other person has an account possibly in your name or at the very least is using your address. If that's the case, it still needs to be dealt with in some manner. He is in the wrong. The company needs to be made aware that they have been given false information. Ignoring it won't make it go away.

I know we'd be more proactive. Dh or I would call the cable company and demand to know what is going on.

We've called the cable co, campus security, housing, & housing has contacted the previous tenant. While the possible drug conspiracy is fascinating, this is seminary housing, & the previous tenant has been a worship leader for years. I realize this doesn't make the potential felonies impossible, but...maybe less probable at least?

And, fwiw, campus security here is a branch of the local police dept., armed, & almost all ex-military. I think we've been sufficiently proactive, but then I'm a paranoid person who often overcompensates by underreacting. :lol:

I would call the local police and make sure that a file has been started on this situation. Campus security may try to handle it "internally" to keep their stats down or whatever. Unacceptable. If this proceeds any further, you want a full record on file. These people are trespassing and harassing you. I don't understand why security and housing would not take it more seriously.

If anyone appears again, you want a police officer there immediately and they might not do that if they don't already have a heads up on what's happening.

I would also have the locks changed immediately and make sure all first floor windows, sliding glass door, etc. are very secure. If the doorbell rings and it's one of these nutjobs or a stranger, don't answer it, call 911. Same if they start walking around your yard!!

there are crazy people out there and they appear to be focusing on you for some reason! Good luck and stay safe!

We've called the cable co, campus security, housing, & housing has contacted the previous tenant. While the possible drug conspiracy is fascinating, this is seminary housing, & the previous tenant has been a worship leader for years. I realize this doesn't make the potential felonies impossible, but...maybe less probable at least?

And, fwiw, campus security here is a branch of the local police dept., armed, & almost all ex-military. I think we've been sufficiently proactive, but then I'm a paranoid person who often overcompensates by underreacting. :lol:

Obviously something is not right though! I personally know a person who was a thief and in seminary the same year. He perpetrated major insurance fraud (saying his car stereo store was robbed, when he did it him self and sold the stuff out of his garage).

It also could have something to do with someone who was in the house, not necessarily the tenant.

So, the cable company verfied that they didn't send these men to your home? And, that there is no account listed for your house or under your name?

If so, then there are two men posing as cable company workers attempting to gain entrance to people's home for some unknow reason. The police aren't investigating this or warning the public?

There seems to be more going on here than meets the eye. If these men aren't legit, isn't someone (cable company or police) going to follow-up with an investigation? I must be missing something to the story. This seems serious. Who were the men that came to your door, and why does some former tenant have cable or an email account that is being traced to your home?

So, the cable company verfied that they didn't send these men to your home? And, that there is no account listed for your house or under your name?

If so, then there are two men posing as cable company workers attempting to gain entrance to people's home for some unknow reason. The police aren't investigating this or warning the public?

There seems to be more going on here than meets the eye. If these men aren't legit, isn't someone (cable company or police) going to follow-up with an investigation? I must be missing something to the story. This seems serious. Who were the men that came to your door, and why does some former tenant have cable or an email account that is being traced to your home?

Yes, I would be interested in knowing if the men were legit and sent by the cable company.

Obviously something is not right though! I personally know a person who was a thief and in seminary the same year. He perpetrated major insurance fraud (saying his car stereo store was robbed, when he did it him self and sold the stuff out of his garage).

It also could have something to do with someone who was in the house, not necessarily the tenant.

When our former pastor was in (a Baptist) seminary, one of his classmates had a still hidden in his room! :lol:

This is NOT YOUR PROBLEM. Repeat that the next time anyone calls telling you to contact this guy. "Sorry, that's NOT MY PROBLEM. Tell the guy to fix his own problem with Charter." Then tell them that you'll consider one more contact on the issue as harrassment.

Seriously... it is NOT your problem. Don't agree to let anyone come and do anything ESPECIALLY since it "might" cost you. I hope you do not believe that this mysterious person is going to actually reimburse you for the charges you will undoubtedly incur for "helping" him access his email.

That is HIS problem to work out with Charter. Whatever the reason they locked him out of his account, THEY can darn well allow him access again whenever they want. So again... that is HIS problem.

I think I'd spend a very large amount of time on the phone with Charter finding out exactly what they want to "plug in" inside my house, and why, and why this guy can't just send a check for his own bill. I know others have said it's not your problem, and I agree, but at this point, I'd have to understand what exactly is going on. And I wouldn't let the Charter people off the phone until I have the answers I'm satisfied with. I wouldn't take the housing people's word for anything; I'd want answers directly from Charter.

Under no circumstances (NONE) would I give anyone a penny to straighten this out. I'm certain this man has a credit and/or a checking account and can send money to Charter himself. If it simply a matter of paying money owed, he can certainly do that.

Seriously though, I wouldn't let anyone off the hook without answers.

Edited by melissel

What exactly did Charter say about this? Did they say they sent the guys? If not, the first thing I would do is call the actuall police..as in 911, what is your emergency? "There is a guy at my door that refuses to show credentials who wants me to give him money or to come in my house for two hours." "Police are on their way, ma'am." Really - that is just too crazy.

BTW: One of my highschool boyfriend's dad's was on a Bible college campus and living in an apartment he rented from them. As great a guy as he was, and as much as he loved Jesus, he still believed in buying a dime bag and tokin' it up in the living room. Stranger things have happened....

For the life of me, I can't imagine what they would need to plug in for two hours to close out an account. I was thinking that maybe he'd left behind a converter or a piece of DSL equipment that he was supposed to return to the company when he moved.

I will say that I did have to impose on the folks who followed us in base housing. When we moved, I didn't re-up the alarm monitory contract. I found out later that the company said that I'd signed a 5 year contract and would have to keep paying. I ended up having to call and ask the new residents to call the alarm company and punch some codes into the panel so that the system was fully deactivated. Fortunately, she was terribly nice about it.

So there might be some legit reason for it. But I'd say that to date, both the former resident and the cable company have done a very poor job of providing one. Given the way that the cable guys behaved on their first few visits, I'd take a lot of convincing to let anyone into the house at this point.

Cable companies don't knock on your door demanding payment or their box; they bill, they cut off your service, they send it to collection.

Actually, some cable companies in some areas will send a cable guy out for payment. I worked (from home) for a cable company for a (very) short time, and they would turn off the cable first (motivation), then knock on the door and ask for payment. It was also done this way to protect the cable guy- if they asked for payment first and the person couldn't pay, many times the cable guy would be threatened, have guns drawn on them, whatever, so they couldn't cut it off. This was mostly in the days of analog cable when they had to go out to the post to switch off the cable.

I was just thinking about something. When we had Charter cable they NEVER sent anyone around in an unmarked truck. EVER. Ev-ah.

When we moved, they did not come out to the house to disconnect. We had to go to the office to return a modem we'd rented, but that was it. Now that I think about it, whenever we have moved (7 times in the past 8 years), no cable company has ever come out to the house to disconnect our service.

Also, when you called Charter, did you get the number out of the phone book, or call the number they gave you? If you called something they gave you, you cannot be certain it actually was Charter on the other end of the phone.

More than likely, the previous tenant got cut off for nonpayment.

Have housing give Charter the guy's number, so you're not in the middle of it. You have nothing to do with this. If the guy left a box of any kind in your home, it is not your problem. If the guy owes money, Charter needs to take it up with the owner of the account, and that's not you. Once Charter has the guy's number, they need to be contacting him.

Even if they did need to disconnect something, it would happen OUTSIDE the home, not inside. Getting the police involved isn't a bad idea either, if the men coming to your home are suspicious.

No new news, just some clarification:

I got the # for Charter from Google; the guy at the door wouldn't even give me THAT.

Charter did show that there was an open acct at this address, under the name of the previous tenant. I didn't actually ask them if they sent the guy out, but I told them he was here, & they said he'd keep coming, so...that seemed pretty verified.

Thanks for convincing me I'm not nuts to think these guys are crazy! I don't know what was up w/ the girl in housing, but the head of the dept. agrees that the whole thing is weird.

On a bizarre & unlikely sidenote, I googled previous tenant, & a FB acct under his name came up. The person on FB has a locked acct, but you can see friends. He only has 2 (that show up)--they kind-of look like the 2 cable guys I've talked to. I mean...I'm pretty sure they're *not,* but that really set my imagination off.