Menu

Any one else notice that thier "green" light bulbs

...don't really last anywhere near as long as they claim to? I'm sitting here and the bulb in my room just winked out and stayed that way. I put it in way less than a year ago. Admittedly, they last longer than the old ones, but it doesn't equal the "up to 7 years" stated on the box, nor does it justify the price. I have replaced several - different brands, btw - throughout our house in under a year!

Is there an electrical issue in my house, or does this happen to anyone else?

If you have them in lights that have dimmers then they will burn out sooner.

I don't know if power surges or other issues would contribute to shorter lives.

It sounds like the responses are so far are either 1) they burn out fast or 2) we haven't had to replace them. So I would guess that there must be some electric issue.

Didn't Congress approve (and President Bush sign) a bill that bans incandescent (regular) bulbs? They're supposed to be gone by 2010 or 2012 or something like that.

I did want to add that most of our bulbs are the new CFLs and we haven't had any go out in a long while.

Edited by elw_miller
Forgot to add...

A few years ago I read an article about the life of these bulbs. Apparently they will last a long time if you leave them on. Constantly turning them off and on will shorten their life by a significant amount.

We were having problems with them dying quickly. We started using them in lights the girls tend to leave on - like the hallway and the kitchen - and they have lasted a long time. But in lamps on bedside tables and others places where we are diligent about turning lights off, incandescant bulbs are more energy efficient and will last longer. Our worst experience was using them in closets!

The technology may have changed since I read the article, but that was the skinny at the time.

I don't know if power surges or other issues would contribute to shorter lives.

It sounds like the responses are so far are either 1) they burn out fast or 2) we haven't had to replace them. So I would guess that there must be some electric issue.

We tried some, and they burnt out much faster than I anticipated - sometimes faster than the incandescent. However, we have a lot of power surges and such where we live, and I have a suspicion that the surges and and outages played a part in that. We switched back to incandescent bulbs.

No, they don't last as long by hours or time that it boasts on the box. They do outlast the plain old bulbs... but I do not know if they are cost effective. I have started writing the dates on the bulbs when I put them in the socket as an effort to monitor it.

I will say the lighting is better in my house b/c we have mostly dark wood floors & barnwood walls in kitchen & dining area (where we have school) and the new bulbs give us more light.

Economically and with product quality... I am not impressed as I should be for the outrageous price increase.:glare:

Thinking about post of "leaving them on more"... doesn't that defeat the purpose of saving energy. Be interesting to see if it helps. If that is right... Why not just use the old ones & run them longer... it would still be cheaper per bulb.

Edited by Dirtroad

I think I read that the life span of Green bulbs lasting 7 years was biased on only using the bulb 3 hours a day. I use my lights way more than 3 hours a day!!! I guess they expect you to only use the light when you get home from work :lol:. Guess I'll have to school in the dark!

We still have the same bulbs burning in the kitchen from 7 years ago. We have a few others in lamps that we have had over 9 years.

The only ones we have had problems with was one batch we got from Costco and the ones we have in contained enclosures. We have stairway lights with vents, and they only last a year in there. We already knew that the enclosures will greatly reduce their life span, but it is still cheaper in the long run because the lights are on all night long.

I would say that they have lasted us a very long time considering how often they are used.

We haven't had a green lightbulb die yet.... A few were in this house when we moved in over four years ago, including a few I keep on all night, every night. We have slowly added more over the past two years, and none have burned out yet. We buy them wherever we see them on sale, so we have a mix of brands.

Most of the so-called "green" light bulbs aren't truly green. They contain mercury.

And the manufacturing of them is highly questionable in the sense of "green" as well. Which is why if they are going to market them as such, I feel they should at the very least result in a longer lasting bulb.

I have a collection of them to turn in to the local recycle place rather than just throwing them out.

And the manufacturing of them is highly questionable in the sense of "green" as well. Which is why if they are going to market them as such, I feel they should at the very least result in a longer lasting bulb.

I have a collection of them to turn in to the local recycle place rather than just throwing them out.

I haven't had to change one yet, but I won't be buying more as long as I have a choice.

Most of the so-called "green" light bulbs aren't truly green. They contain mercury.

Yes which is very scary considering how many people just toss them in the trash where they break and release the mercury into the air! I don't have any either and plan not too for as long as I can. DH and I are actually considering going to candles or other alternative light sources if incandescents really can't be bought. There's a rather large movement trying to get this reversed. I think we should have a choice to use them or not. If I'm willing to pay my energy bill and avoid mercury, I don't think incandencents should be banned.

I'm curious how this will play out though b/c if Pres. Obama passes a bill to outlaw manmade mercury, I wonder what they will do with the "green" bulbs that contain them and how they will manufacture more...

rambling thoughts...

We had our smoke detectors sounding off through the entire house due to a green bulb in my son's room. It basically overheated and caused a smoky look throughout the room and the hallway. It was very SCARY!!

That situation and the fact that my neighbors son threw a ball and accidently broke 2 out of a light fixture in her home. They had to call in haz-mat crew who demanded that she rip up her carpet and replace it in her office due to a mercury reading. Ugh...what a mess!

No more in our home!! Starting to stock up on the oldies but the goodies!!

I don't buy them anymore because I haven't seen an improvement in how long they last, either.

And the mercury issue...sheesh. With two (soon to be three) boys, two cats and two dogs, lamps often get knocked over. The first time we broke a green bulb, I didn't know about the mercury issue and we just vacuumed it up as usual. Then when I heard about it, and heard what we were SUPPOSED to have done to clean it up??? I was so upset that it wasn't more common knowledge how toxic those things are. How in the heck is that any better for the environment? It's crazy!

Add me to the stocking-up-on-incandescents club. The only place we're using our flourescents is in outdoor light fixtures, where they aren't going to be knocked over and broken.

They are bad for people who get migraines and are sun sensitive too. I am going to start stocking up. THe problem is that we are military and have to keep moving. Two of us are migrainers and I am have the sun sensitivity associated with lupus. I am also going to try the non fluorescent new bulbs but I hear they are much dimmer.

My hubby brought home one of those mercury filled ones once and I honest to God broke down crying. He said, "OMG! I will return it then. I knew you didn't like them but I had no idea you felt so strongly about it."

A few months later I was at Home Depot with my dd and SIL and they were going to buy some of these bulbs and I told them they should because they had mercury in them. My SIL said, "No way." So I told him to check the lable. He promptly put them back on the shelves and got some regular ones.

My brother unfortunately, has not come around and has a house full of the things.

As far as how long they last, I think it may have something to do with the individual outlets. Since we have moved into this house (two years ago yesterday), we have had to replace some bulbs six times and other ones not at all. As far as I can tell, it doesn't really have much to do with how often the light is used either.

I will resort to oil lamps and candles before I have mercury in my home.

We have lots of recessed lighting in our house and have yet to replace an incandescent bulb. We've lived here 3 1/2 years. The bulbs in the lamps tend to go out quicker, but I don't care. I won't buy one of the new bulbs with mercury in it.

My parents have put the new bulbs in their house and I hate the light it gives off.

Guess I need to start stocking up on the incandescents!

We have had a horrible experience with the CFL bulbs. They burn out in just a few short weeks. I will not buy any more of them. We have a huge box of burned out ones that I need to dispose of correctly. I believe Home Depot will take them and recycle them.

I had put some CFLs in the bathroom. I have one of those light fixtures with a row of bulbs and put a CFL in every other socket. All the CFLs burned out in about a month. The regular light bulbs that have been there YEARS still work just fine.

DH is now experimenting with the new LED light bulbs. We will see how they hold up over time.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Ours have done great, about 3 years or more, altho we haven't replaced them all over. The mercury doesn't scare me, I've read extensively about the clean up, and totally dismissed the hysterical stories about "my aunt's next door neighbor's cousin had to pay $6000 to clean up after her bulb broke". I believe they're already making a 'new generation' of this type that will be even better.

I was thinking this too. I certainly wouldn't inform anyone if I broke a bulb, I would just clean it up myself. It helps that we don't have wall to wall carpeting. :)

In the 70's we put mercury thermometers in our mouths, and they often fell on the floor and broke. It wasn't a big deal, we just swept it up.

However, when they do start burning out, I will take take them to a proper disposal place.

I battle with myself about CFLs.

For the last couple of years, I lived in a completely carpeted apartment without window ventilation in some areas. I flat out refused to use CFLs there because I was not confident that I could properly/safely clean up a break. Plus, there was nobody home for most of the day, so if the cats had knocked over a lamp, the broken bulb could have been sitting there for hours.

A few months ago, we moved into a house with a lot of windows and hard wood floors. I have now comprised and use CFLs in some overhead lights which are unlikely to be broken. I still won't use them in lamps which sit on the floor or on tables. Once we have kids big enough to throw things, we might have to re consider using them in overhead lighting... Although, by that time, we won't have an option to go back to traditional blulbs if the current legislation remains in place. :angry:

We are monitoring the progress of LED bulbs. We purchased one and were not impressed, but we have high hopes for the future.

...don't really last anywhere near as long as they claim to? I'm sitting here and the bulb in my room just winked out and stayed that way. I put it in way less than a year ago. Admittedly, they last longer than the old ones, but it doesn't equal the "up to 7 years"

Just take them back.

K

We had a problem with the light bulbs not lasting as long as they should. My husband called the manufacturer and was told that the light bulbs won't last as long if they are frequently turned on and off. They are meant to be turned on and left on for at least 15 minutes (I think that's what they said).

So we changed the light bulbs in places where the light will not be on for long periods of time such as the bathroom and the halls, where the lights are turned on and off frequently. We haven't had a problem with them since.