Menu

What's one simple luxury you'd like to have?

Emmy, if you're in an area in the midwest where a date somewhere around St. Louis would be convenient, bring those little monkeys to my house! My 4 boys would have a blast w/them!

Chelle

I wish I lived closer! It's always fun to meet up with other boy families!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone to empty, organize, and put our house and garage back together in a place for everything and everything's in it's place kind of way. All the stuff we pack rat would be ebayed or donated since the idea of tossing it makes me shudder (What if we need that thing that we haven't used--or even seen-in 3 three years! or That's worth money! We need money so I'll keep it and eventually ebay it). My life would be streamlined to essentials. Heaven to imagine.

It's hard to say just one, so I have to mention my top two.

An unlimited grocery budget. With 3 teens (including a football player), I am having trouble keeping the fridge and pantry stocked. They are practically gnawing on the cabinet doors. It would be nice to be able to keep all kinds of delicious, top-quality foods around all the time.

Somebody to clean up after me. I like to make creative messes, but I don't like to clean up! If I had to narrow it down to one thing to have picked-up for me, I guess I'd have to say someone to do the laundry. All phases of it. I spent time in Brazil years ago and the family I stayed with had a wonderful housekeeper who did all the laundry. It was so beautiful, like it came from the cleaners.

Now if I didn't have kids to feed and clothe, it would be an unlimited travel budget. But, I guess I've cheated 'cause now I've slipped in three...!

The RV that is for sale down the road. Now, that is a pretty big thing, but still...I really wish we could buy it. It's just the perfect type for the trips we want to take. My dh even stopped and talked to the owner about it, but we have been severely hurt by the housing market crash and there is no way we could think of buying it.

DSCF0336.jpg

My house...Well not mine yet, but it will be mine (ok as long as no one else buys it :glare:)...Yea it's not in line with weekly housekeeping or the like but renting so sucks...I want something that is mine and that my kids know is ours...To me owning a house is one simple luxury I would LOVE to have...And all the hassles that would come with owning a house that is over 100years old :001_smile:...

People! People, you are cheating! Are these simple pleasures? I think not.

Or perhaps I was just not thinking big enough when I said "Intermittent windshield wipers," eh?

Okay, in that vein...the simple pleasure I wish I could have, but can't (not right now, at least) would be to wake up naturally every day, instead of getting up at a fixed time. I told dh that my favorite thing about our week at OBX was waking up naturally every day. He said his favorite was the upswing in tea-making. I told him I didn't mind making tea when I knew I could get up whenever I wanted. :D

Mrs. Hall (All Creatures Great and Small)

or

Jeeves

In a pinch I'll take Mrs. Doyle from Father Ted.

Failing all those, I'd like a wife. (just for me. Not for dh. And she can have her own room. I don't need her for that. Just all the house stuff.)

The rest of my life is pretty darn luxurious already. I'm spoiled enough.

Mrs. Hall (All Creatures Great and Small)

How about Skeldale House, with all those old wings that people are moving into and converting to apartments. Remember the time when they all wondered what was behind the locked door that they'd never been into and so Tristan worked out a way to sneak in? Siegfried figured out he was going to do it and propped up a skeleton at a dining room table to give his brother a fright. :D

Since I realize reading the posts here how spoiled I already am I thought I would like more personal time. Something like one day a month to go out or stay in, but do anything I want. I am talking about a day without lists, shopping for other people, and time constraints. :D

On the extravagant vein: A villa/cottage somewhere in Europe from where I could travel everywhere!;)

DSCF0336.jpg

My house...Well not mine yet, but it will be mine (ok as long as no one else buys it :glare:)...Yea it's not in line with weekly housekeeping or the like but renting so sucks...I want something that is mine and that my kids know is ours...To me owning a house is one simple luxury I would LOVE to have...And all the hassles that would come with owning a house that is over 100years old :001_smile:...

Wow!!! That's really nice! :) I hope you get it! :)

A simple luxury: sleep. Good, uninterrupted, restful, restorative sleep. I've not slept properly for a month or more now, and that has thrown me into a major fibro flare.

A not-so-simple luxury: my own room. I would love to have a room...a study, a studio, a craft room, a sitting room...I'm not sure what I would call it. But a room that is only for me.

With walls that are cream just barely tinged with pink, and a loveseat upholstered in soft cream velvet. With loads of throws and quilts in soft florals in pinks, creams, and greens. With a lovely thick, warm rug in the middle of the floor. With a sewing table and storage on one wall. With a writing desk on another wall. With a wall of bookshelves on another wall. With a super comfy single bed for afternoon naps or for those nights I can't sleep and don't want to disturb DH.

No boys allowed in this room except for a big, plush boy kitty to sit on the loveseat with me. (And, yes, I think I have more things to put on walls than there are walls available in most rooms!)

1) A Starbucks gift card

2) A manicure/pedicure

3) A consultation and service by a high end stylist

4) I can't find the link but one of those homeschool bookshelf/organization things that rotates; it's white and they have 2 sizes

5) A decent wardrobe for my kids for fall

6) A backpack for graduate school

Hmmm...

I can think of a few...

On a smaller, simpler scale:

--a computer that really works all.the.time and isn't s-l-o-w

--a day each month that is just my own to do what I want to do (or not do!)

--working air conditioning in the jeep

--a blender

On a somewhat larger scale:

--a room that is just mine - a combination office/library

--whole house air conditioning

--enough money to make ends meet

On a much bigger scale:

--ds' health fully restored (cancer survivor currently going through 2d time)

--my health fully restored (not nearly as serious as ds but ill is still ill)

--to have a slightly bigger house with slightly more property

--to travel

Guess I'm in the "greedy" bunch, too . . . so I'll stop my list here!

A son (and husband) who can hit the toilet. Either that or a weekly house cleaner. Cause, man, in 90+ degree heat I am not even going into that bathroom, let alone crawling around the floor trying to clean it. Unfortunately, no one else will either...:glare:

A 25 cf refrigerator for our family of six (to replace the 18 cf one that is currently jam packed all the time) so I won't have to shop 4-5 times a week.

Of course since the current fridge is shoehorned in there, new cabinets will be in order as well. :D

Ah geez...you all have so many great things listed here. Some of them, I have. Others, don't.

I'd love to have weekly housekeeping. I would also love an inground pool, a weekly massage, a hot tub...

But most of all...I just want a week away...ALONE with my husband in some place tropical. Did I mention "with no kids!!!"?

Edited by Tree House Academy

I'd have to go with year round access to a swimming pool. Or even summer access to a swimming pool.

We live in a rural area, and the only times we can swim are in the winter (swim teacher rents the pool at the local Best Western). We have a nearby lake but it is too cold most of the time (high mountain lake = snow runoff) to do much but dip the toes in. I'd really like to be able to swim with the kids more than 10 weeks in the middle of a harsh winter.

Is *that* is a Les Paul Sunburst? My husband has one and it is his BABY!

That is an Ibanez Artist AR 300. This particular one I believe is from 1978. It is an AWESOME guitar!! The quality of the Japanese guitars from this era were not only right on par with their American counterparts, in some cases the quality of the craftsmanship actually exceeded their American counterparts. I couldn't afford an older Les Paul, but these Artist can still be had for around $1,500. which is cheap considering the craftsmanship, but still quite the pipe dream for me. :( sniff. My brother has an old Les Paul, it's worth quite a bit more than an Artist though. :)