Menu

Tummy sleeping babies?

My 3.5 mo old baby girl (1.5 mo adjusted age preemie) spent 28 days in NICU. During that time, I was innundated with Back to Sleep slogans and statistics. Since coming home a few months ago, this baby does not sleep in a crib, not even for 5mins most times (she wakes up immediately). Her fav position is on my chest, while I'm propped up. Twice now, we've tried putting her on her tummy to sleep and then watched her very closely. She seems to sleep better this way. Anyone else choose to let their baby tummy sleep? Did you get any special monitors (is there anything like that for home use?)

My brother & I were born during the tummy to sleep campaign and survived, LOL!

My DD slept on her tummy. Yes, women are inundated with "back to sleep" info... we were given door hangs, stickers and magnets. She slept so much better on her tummy.

My brother and I made it just fine and we slept on our tummies as babies. It is a personal choice, and while I don't take SIDS lightly, I still don't fully believe that sleeping face up will remove all risk.

Plus, DD spit up a lot and I didn't want her choking on it.

Edited by Tiff in TX

I was also inundated with the "Back to sleep" campaign when all 3 of my kids were born, not a one of them would sleep on their back unless they fell asleep in the carseat on a drive.

My oldest slept in a wedge shaped thing propped on his side, this was the only way he would sleep.

My younger two children were always put down on their tummies if they weren't nestled in one of our arms.

They all survived and have always been happy, healthy kids. They are now 10, 7.5 and 4 years old.

DD slept on her tummy during naps, in the pack and play on the main level of our house. I felt ok with it because the surface was harder than a mattress and I checked on her frequently. At night, she slept in a co-sleeper attached to our bed. She slept on her back at night. (I guess all that inundation made it too hard for me to let her sleep on her tummy when I was sleeping too!)

Hopefully, your little one will learn to roll over soon and then you will have less to worry about. There are some monitors out there that go under the mattress and beep if they don't sense movement (aka breathing). I think they may be called angel care.

ETA: Make sure to use as much of the rest of the SIDS advice, like keeping the baby from getting too warm, no soft stuff near the baby, no smoking, etc. (I'm sure you already do this!)

All four of my kids slept on their tummies. They would not sleep any other way. My girlfriend has a 6 month old boy with a hidiously flat back of the head from sleeping on his back. She's a nurse. It's not conjecture. This is what his Dr says it is from. It is on the side, too, not the center, of the back of his head, right where he turns his head to one side as he sleeps. His doctor thinks it's permanent. :blink: If I had a baby today, he/ she would sleep on their tummy.

I say, research it, find out all the REASONS and opinions and then decide for yourself.

All four of ours slept on their stomachs. Sometimes would start on the side, then flip over to the stomach while asleep.

The concerns about stomach sleeping flourished when our third child was born, so we tried him with back-sleeping. As soon as he developed that "flat head syndrome", we dropped that practice ! (We figured it was a sales tactic for those helmets worn by some children to UNDO the effects of back-sleeping.)

Not at all do I discount the heartbreak and gravity of SIDS. I don't know what I would advise someone else.

I tried to get our two to sleep on their backs, but they just preferred tummy. My siblings and I all made it through babyhood sleeping on our stomachs, so I didn't worry about it too much. Once they learned how to roll over (which was pretty early) it was a moot point anyway... even if I put them down on their backs, they'd flip right over!

The facts are that the rate of SIDS has decreased by about 70% since the Back-to-Sleep campaign. So clearly it's not the only risk factor, but it seems to be significant. Hence, the huge push to have babies sleep on their backs. I know the argument of "we slept on our tummies and are fine" but that's not a great argument. I used to roll around in the back of the station wagon with my friends but that doesn't meant that seat-belts aren't a better option.

One theory is that they do indeed sleep better on their tummies but that this might actually contribute to SIDS as they are more difficult to arouse. So waking more may be better.

That said from the pediatrician perspective. From the Mommy perspective, I put my 2nd one to sleep on his tummy starting around 3-4 months. He had terrible reflux and would wake up after about 5 minutes on his back. I just made extra sure that his mattress was not at all soft and there was absolutely nothing else in the crib with him. I did worry about it and told dh the first night that I was half-expecting the American Academy of Pediatrics helicopter to circle over the house with a voice shouting out "Turn that baby over onto it's back. And surrender your medical license NOW." :)

no blankets, no loose sleepers, no pillows

one sheet, no mattress covers that make it softer (the rubber things or leak guards are okay, but nothing soft or cushy and the rubber things should definitely be under the fitted sheet)

Do what you can to make it safe, that's all you can do :grouphug:

All three of mine slept on their sides with the wedge things. It was a compromise between what they wanted and what the doctor insisted upon.

You could try swaddling her and seeing if that helps her sleep on her back, if you want :)

Hmm... those statistics don't really mean much to me. Hasn't overall health (including cigarette/smoking awareness) increased during that time period as well? Couldn't that also be a significant factor in the decline in SIDS? (Genuinely asking here--I don't know).

I am just wary of these things... and always take stats with a grain of salt. One minute the medical establishment is telling us one thing ("encourage VBAC!"... "stay away from eggs!") and then the next the complete opposite ("discourage VBAC!"... "eggs are healthy!"). IMO when it comes to parenting and health issues, you just have to use common sense and do what works for your family.

Both of my children were born at 33 weeks gestational age, both spent time in the NICU. They were born 12 years apart.

My daughter was born in 1989 and tummy-sleeping was pounded into my head by the docs and nurses in the NICU. She was a bit spitty and they warned me that she could aspirate spit-up and die if she were on her back. They also told me preemies breathe better on their tummies.

My son was born in 2001. In the NICU he slept on his tummy...because, as they told me, preemies breathe better on their tummies. BUT, I was informed that I would have to put him on his back at home. When I asked why the difference, I was told that they had monitors on him in the NICU therefore it was safe for him to be on his tummy whereas at home it would be dangerous.

They monitored his O2 sats on his back before he came home. He was within the proper range, but the nurse and I could both tell he was having apnea spells. He was just recovering fast enough to not trigger the alarm. I brought him home and had him be a tummy sleeper. He had good head and neck control, and I am convinced it was a safer position for him than on his back.

That's my experience, and certainly not intended to be medical advice because I am not a medical person.

All of my babies but one would roll themselves over when they were a few weeks old, and after that it just didn't matter that I put them to bed on their backs. The only way to keep them off their tummies would have been duct tape.

My last little guy was a preemie, and he preferred back sleeping, so we had the flat head thing going for a while. His head is probably still not perfect, but it evened out enough that it doesn't show.

I myself never deliberately put my babies down to sleep on their tummies, and I don't recommend it to others. If I had and we were one of those unfortunate statistics, it would haunt me in a way that would be very hard to live with.

I am suspicious about mattresses. I do understand the data about SIDS decreasing during the back sleeping campaign, but wonder how much of that has to do with mattresses being waterproof (easier to suffocate or aspirate spit-up) and the outgassing of plastic mattresses. So when we had our second, I purchased an organic cotton crib mattress. He tummy-slept and was a terrific sleeper. This worked for us.

I also think that babies sleep better on their tummies because it is easier to "startle" awake on their backs. If those wedge things actually worked to keep a baby all cozy and secure, I might have tried side sleeping with the second, instead.

I read a brochure once about 3 conditions where tummy sleeping was "recommended" and one was regarding premies b/c it gave them breathing support on the diaphragm (did I spell that right?).

You might google & find some articles on it. Maybe some of the wise Hive Moms have great experience. My DD slept good on her tummy & I was so paranoid. I wonder how much sleep I lost & her too.... b/c of fear! My Mom always said to turn her over & she will rest.... I finally did.

This next baby... wont' suffer as long!;)

I was told by all the doctors, nurses, friends ... that my oldest had to sleep on her back. She wouldn't. I would get her to go asleep in my arms and then as soon as I put her down she would wake up. I would keep doing this till finally I just let her sleep on my chest. After nearly 2 weeks of this my mother finally put her put down and told me to let her sleep on her stomach. She is now 6 and still sleeps on her stomach.

I am an older mom with two sets of children. The older three were all tummy sleepers, and they are still alive and kicking. My youngest child slept both ways, but most of the time on her tummy. (She also co-slept with dh and I, and we did not roll over and smother her -- which, according to some folks, was just a stroke of luck.)

Do you ever wonder what our ancestors did when they had to go with the flow and figure these things out on their own? There must have been terrible casualties back then LOL! :001_huh:

Blessings,

Lucinda

my mum put us on our backs when we were babies, baby no 6 stopped breathing ( cot death?) and was revived by my grandmother who was just walking past his crib. she then always put all babies on their side, with a rolled up baby rug beside them, so they couldn't roll back. I also slept all my babies on their side.

I just had my 3rd, and I've been putting her on her tummy to sleep. I feel like a renegade - when I had my first, 15 years ago, we were indoctrinated with the idea of putting her on her side to sleep. So we did. By the time #2 came along, almost 11 year ago, it was "Back to Sleep." So we did. This time, I was surprised that we got no instruction about sleep positions, but I would have ignored it anyway. I just felt like doing something different, and it's working. Baby #3 is nearly 3 weeks old and she's doing well with her sleep - none of the constant startling and waking like dd's 1 and 2.

I haven't read any of the other responses, but I just thought I'd share what I'm doing. :)

Yes, by the time - by the time I had my third child:

First child - back only!

Second child - Oh she sleeps on her tummy! Tummy daytime naps - nighttime on her back.

Third child - We all want to sleep - baby's on jis tummy almost from the time he gets home form the hospital!!

There is a monitor you can buy that will sense when the baby has stopped moving/breathing. My SIL registered for one at Babies r'us a year and a half ago.

My mother never had a car with seat belts. My kids are all belted.

My new babies are side sleepers, attached to the breast. I would never, under any circumstances, place a newborn baby on her tummy in a crib. Ever. Never did it, never would.

The risk of dying of SIDS is greater than being kidnapped by a stranger whilst sleeping in a locked car while your mom goes to the AMT.

My third child (just turned 2) would never sleep anywhere but in my arms or on my chest. I was at my wit's end needing to bathe, eat, cook, you know the usual stuff. I was holding this kid 24 hours a day.

He screamed in the crib.

He screamed in the swing.

He screamed in car seat.

Since he liked sleeping on my chest I laid him in the crib on his tummy. GASP! What kind of mother am I? He slept. I showered. It was great.

I basically made sure that our room was not too warm, he was not well bundled, he was not dressed too warmly. I made sure the air temperature and his body temperature were fairly cool and there was nothing for him to bury his face in.

I will say that I ran in and checked on him every 10 minutes because when I've got a new baby I'm always really crazy with hormones and get like that.

My twins were preemie. In the NICU, they slept on their tummies most of the time. When we left, the wonderful nurse who had cared for dd14b gave us the must put her on her back to sleep spill. Then, she lowered her voice and whispered, "But she will NEVER sleep if she is on her back. If you want her to sleep you will have to put her on her stomach."

We went home. We put little b on her back to take a nap. She immediately woke up and screamed. Every time she was laid on her back, she screamed if she was tired. She would sleep in her car seat for short bursts. She slept in it in her crib. Finally, I put her on her stomach. She slept. The seasoned nurse knew what she was talking about.

My 2-month old dd is the same way on her back. She hates being on her back and will wake up instantly if placed in the crib. Her arms and legs end up flailing, and she just can't sleep. Babies have a reflex called the Moro (falling) Reflex which makes it hard for some to be on their backs. I read that swaddling really helps them to sleep on their backs better. I just purchased a Miracle Blanket and I am amazed at how well my dd is sleeping now. She relaxes so much when I swaddle her and will be content in her crib until she falls asleep. She wasn't sleeping well at all during the day before we started swaddling and would be so fussy be evening because she was so overtired. Now that she's getting more sleep she is much happier in the evenings.

I would definitely try swaddling before I would put a baby to sleep on her tummy.

I'm so confused :001_huh:

Mine are spread far enough that we have gone through each campaign. Back only, Side only, Tummy only and had all the trappings with each one (monitors, wedges, etc.)

They each had good reasons and stats and figures and brochures and info to make each way seem right and holy and anything else a death trap.

Now with #4 on the way, I am grateful they haven't come up with a new sleep position. :D

I really don't know what to do. Of course to compound the confusion, I never had one single child that slept the way they recommended. i swear they learned to turn over as early as they could muster so they could get to the position they wanted to sleep in. Nothing worse than checking on the child and PUTTING them back in the current in vogue sleep position and the little sucker flipping right back long before they should have been able to do so.

I still wonder if it is some unknown underlying medical condition/virus/health issue that just hasn't come to light yet. Just one of those things we haven't discovered yet.:confused:

Let's please all be careful. I would not like this to turn into a snark thread such as the b-feeding threads all over the Internet, with their condescending opinions that mothers who do not breastfeed have NO EXCUSE UNDER THE SUN for not doing so, and they, accordingly, are BAAAAD MOTHERS.

I would be careful not to disregard the stats on why SIDS has decreased.

More kids die of SIDS than are kidnapped by strangers.

Facts are facts.

I think it's fine to let your kids sleep however they best sleep.

People pick the poison with which they are most comfortable.

I am personally not comfortable putting a newborn baby on their stomach in a crib down the hall. I do think one is taking chances when they do something like that. But I do NOT think one is a 'bad' mother if one does! I never said that. We all have our particular comforts levels.

Statistically, a child is less safe there than in a locked car at the ATM. Having all the info helps us make decisions that most matter to us.

Edited by LibraryLover

I think it's silly to disreguard the stats on why SIDS has decreased.

More kids die of SIDS than are kidnapped by strangers.

Facts are facts.

Glad there's no being judgmental going on here! :tongue_smilie: The crux of the matter is, it's not that simple. The stats change. The medical establishment's recommendations change. Wait a few more years and it will be "don't ever put a baby to sleep on their back! They could choke on their spit up!"

Glad there's no being judgmental going on here! :tongue_smilie: The crux of the matter is, it's not that simple. The stats change. The medical establishment's recommendations change. Wait a few more years and it will be "don't ever put a baby to sleep on their back! They could choke on their spit up!"

Are statistics judgments?

If you're comfortable, that is all that matters.

I mean that.

I wonder if it's more time spent in carriers and swings, possibly along with the back to sleep that does it though. Babies get toted around in those from car to store to car to home....

This is referring to the flat heads, in case it's not clear.

Edited by Jami

I KNOW! I see babies like that all the time! Personally, I just couldn't keep doing something to my kid that was resulting in a deformity of the skull. :001_huh:

I really have to wonder what that does to brain development, etc.

astrid

This assumes a baby is never held. If one is holding a baby so little that their skull is deformed, there are other gigantic issues for that baby and family that need addressing.

I think it's fine for people to let their babies sleep however they are most comfy as long as they understand the pros and cons.

I have 7 kids, and they have all been tummy sleepers because none of them would sleep on their backs. I always start them for the first few weeks in one of those triangle wedges on their sides, but by 4 weeks or so, they are on their tummies. With my last one, who is 6 months old now, I bought one of those SwaddleMe blankets, like another poster mentioned, and that did help. She stayed on her back/side for the longest--probably 6 or 7 weeks. We use a mattress protector and have no blankets, etc. Also, before I let them sleep on their tummies, I put them facedown to see what they do. I want them to demonstrate that they will turn their heads by themselves before I let them sleep on their tummies. My babies develop good neck control early, so that hasn't been a problem, and they also learn to roll over by themselves early, so then I can put them down however and they will roll to their tummy! I know there is still a risk, but there is with pretty much everything--having a dog around a baby, having older siblings around, whatever. I am comfortable with this level of risk, although I will say I pray everytime I put a baby down for safety and protection!

By the time each of mine were able to roll over, i really had no control over how they slept... if I put them down one way, they'd wake up another! Yes, i know about the wedges and all that, but to me that's just something else to suffocate under (and all of mine screamed their guts out when propped in that thing - i did try it). Unless you plan to stay up and watch baby sleep, just keep the bed clear of other things, use only sheets that fit snugly to the mattress, and all the other SIDS prevention recommendations.

Otherwise you will never get any sleep yourself!

I just couldn't keep doing something to my kid that was resulting in a deformity of the skull. :001_huh:

I really have to wonder what that does to brain development

Nothing. It does nothing. My youngest began sporting an *extremely* flat spot at a few months old. We had let him sleep in his carseat, as we spent a LOT of time driving at that point in our lives. The carseat also seemed to be the only place he would stay asleep. The padding wasn't very thick, and the flat spot was in the exact place his head would contact the back of the carseat. It was obvious to us at the time that it was caused by this. Well, as soon as we noticed it, we took him out of that carseat, used a different one when in the car, and tried very hard not to put him on his back at all anymore.

At a year old, he still had that flat spot. Now, at 3, with a full head of hair, it's not so noticeable... BUT if you run your hand over the back of his head you can still feel it.

He's a smart kiddo. No brain damage. I promise.

:)

PS Our next child is not going to have a carry-carseat at all. We'll make sure to put her on her side on an organic cotton mattress from day one. And... we'll consider any other tips all you ladies/gents have. :)

Didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if I repeat any given info.

I had a 32 weeker who came home with an apnea monitor. After TONS of alarms, some false, some real, when it was time to give the alarm back to the hospital, we bought an Angel Care Monitor for about $100. It was by far the best baby purchase we ever made for either kid. My piece of mind was worth so much more than the $100 we paid. It works wonderfully. The only time I ever had a false alarm was when the babies got older and would migrate to the corner of the crib, out of detection range. (It detects the slight movement of their breathing.)

My 2nd son sounds a lot like your baby. He wasn't sleeping well at all in his bassinet. At about 2 months, my friend suggested that he might be a tummy sleeper. And that he was. At 2 years old, he is still sleeping on his tummy and is by far the better sleeper of my two. My preemie did not sleep through the night once until he was over 2 yrs old...still doesn't at age 4, although he is much quieter about waking now! ;)

Good luck to you! These early months are so sweet but can be stressful. Not sure if you have tapped into any preemie support groups, but there are some great ones out there to help deal with the ongoing emotions of parents of preemies. Feel free to pm me if I can be of any help. :001_smile:

Rebekah

Am I the only one whose babies sleep in the crook of their arms while they are small infants? My babies sleep in bed with me...I'm curled up on my side and my babies heads rest right where my elbow bends. I dont trust the medical field in regards to my baby...I trust myself. I've done my research. I believe that SIDS probably has something to do with the fact that a baby will fall into a deep sleep and possibly his/her brain "forgets" to breathe. Maybe because it is still developing, who knows. Hence the whole "Back to Sleep" thing and the current push for babies to use a pacifier. Both of those things keep babies more "awake" during their sleep.

But then, I also worry about spitting up and aspirating. Especailly with my second child. She was a chronic spitter, and usually in her sleep. When my babies sleep with me, my breathing acts as a regulator for their breathing. They sleep on their backs, right beside me in my arms, and if they spit up I automatically know it.

It works for us. Plus, nursing is waaaay easier when baby is directly beside me.

Most cosleeping babies sleep on their sides. Both of mine did.

When they slept alone, it was on their tummies the moment they could roll over on their own power, which for DD was at less than two weeks. So what am I going to do? Strap her to a board or something?

So once I let her sleep alone (3 months, due to SIDS likelihood decreasing), she was always on her tummy.

If you let her sleep on her tummy, I'd strongly advise a fan!

I understand what you mean, but we actually did research this. It is a huge deal to my dh due to the trauma of losing his brother so it isn't something we took lightly or in an uneducated way. We educated ourselves, took precautions and made a decision that worked for our family.

Since the medical establishment has changed their minds about this multiple times in the last 50 years I would rather make an informed decision than trust the newest fad.

It's not the newest fad. There are very good statistics about back-to-sleep versus tummy sleeping in a crib.

That said, it appears that a fan does a great deal to reduce these differences.

I wonder if it's more time spent in carriers and swings, possibly along with the back to sleep that does it though. Babies get toted around in those from car to store to car to home....

This is referring to the flat heads, in case it's not clear.

Yeah, no. The flat head is caused by sleeping on the back.

Edited by katemary63

This assumes a baby is never held. If one is holding a baby so little that their skull is deformed, there are other gigantic issues for that baby and family that need addressing.

Oh gosh, this is not true. My dear friend is a nurse and an excellent mother. She holds her baby all the time! For night time and naps, when in his crib, he sleeps on his back with his head turned in the exact same way every time. His head is flat on that side.