Menu

New Indoor Clothesline and Line-Drying Poll

Is line drying of clothes permitted in your neighborhood?  

1. 1. Is line drying of clothes permitted in your neighborhood?

• Yes! And I use a permanently installed line of some kind.
    • Yes, but I don't line dry much if any of our laundry.
    • No, but I still hang it out when I can, where I can even though I don't have a line.
    • No...but I try to hang dry inside when possible.
    • Why on earth would I care? Line drying? Insanity!!

Reposted......

We can't line dry laundry in our subdivision. Neighborhood covenants specifically disallow it based on the widely held and spreading belief that line drying laundry is 'low-rent', unsightly, and that it actually lowers property values.

I actually love the way that it looks. Possibly b/c my very high rent, now dead:(, beloved mother in law line dried (after five minutes of machine drying:)) at her homes in VT, AL and Jerusalem. It always looked so pretty to me.

As she traveled the world what did she photograph? (she was a photographer and watercolor artist and just generally artistic and design oriented) She photographed line drying laundry. All. Over. The world.

When my first child was born, she gave me a framed photo - that she took - of baby laundry line drying in a Jerusalem neighborhood. I cherish it.

Since I can't dry outside, I often have clothes on hangers drying all over my house. After a recent visit to my SIL (MIL's daughter) in Firenze, I was inspired to get a drying rack. SIL rarely uses the electric dryer, even in winter. In Italy, it's very very rare to even have one.

After much perusing, I got a Mrs. Pegg's Handy Line. It really is like an indoor clothes line. But 10 of them. On a rack that's nearly 5 ft tall. There are two sizes; I have the larger.

It weighs 4.9 lbs

http://store.laundrylist.org/Mrs_Peg...e_p/20-006.htm

I actually wanted to get this one as it's got 10 ft additional drying line, but it's *20* lbs instead of 4.9 and about $25 more after shipping is factored in. It comes in two sizes as well

http://www.breezedryer.com/products/...0-287-257.html

However, the heavier one will fit on the back of a door and comes with an 'over the door' hanging rack. The Mrs. Peggs is a little too wide for the back of the door but is just fine standing up in the closet leaning against the wall (behind the door), or under the bed.

I love that I can hang queen sheets on it. Right now it has towels - huge beach towels - hanging. We run a fan at night for the white noise....so I just stood it up in front of the fan.

i love it!

Katherine

My laundry is right next to the garage. I have one of those standing drying racks and I stand it up in the garage and put my laundry that needs air dried there. Not pretty, doesn't hold a lot, but does what I need done.

I wish our neighborhood allowed it as well.

I have a big basement with a retractable line and a fold up drying rack in my laundry room on the first floor. Outside drying just doesn't work that well here most of the time and none of my neighbors have outdoor lines. Other neighborhoods do have lots of clothes lines, but our seasons here limit the number of months you can use them.

our neighborhood has this too but it only applies to permanent lines, not folding racks. Id use folding racks in the back yard. they can not prevent you from doing this.

The ridiculous covenants of our neighborhood specifically prohibit outdoor drying of laundry on both permanent and temporary devices. I should go find the document and type it in. Fascist. Seriously. But anway.

I still do put out laundry anywhere and everywhere:) When we come back from swimming, I drape towels *in the front yard* over the landscaping bushes....just until they dry:) I set up two chairs on the tiny back patio (cement slab) with a broom over the chair backs and hang things on hangers out there (now that's seriously low rent;))

I'm going to get a couple of these to hang out my bedroom windows (if they work....may only work over doors:

http://store.laundrylist.org/Leifheit_Quartett_p/20-017.htm

:)

K

We also line dry year round. Dh hung the lines in the basement laundry room. I can usually get 2 loads on them. Takes about 24 hours to completely dry a load.

I also have a line outside. Because I am aware of the unfortunate attitude that some have about it, I limit its use to sheets and towels. Occasionally I'll hang some clothes, but only when most people are at work.

I also LOVE the way laundry looks outside. We grew up near Amish country. Driving through the countryside, we'd see it a lot. That lifestyle always appealed to me - simple, plain, etc. The image of laundry on a line had always seemed like a representation of that type of lifestyle to me.

Your MIL sounds like a wonderful woman!!

I line dry my items all the time. We live in a good neighborhood, but we have no restrictions. Our garage opens to the side and is not visible to anyone else. We leave our garage open most of the time and I hang my items from the garage door track. It's perfect. When it's cold I hang them from our shower rod.

I love line drying. I could put up one of those umbrella types but (since it seems a hassle to install), I haven't done it....yet. I have lots of clothes that I hang to dry in the house.

I completely understand the desire to photograph clothes drying on the line. I think it's so beautiful.

Your MIL sounds like a wonderful woman!!

She was amazing. Like no one else. I wish I could adequately describe her. But I can't....so....

http://judaism.about.com/od/shabbatprayersblessings/f/eshetchayil.htm

Eshet chayil mi yimtza v'rachok mip'ninim michrah

An accomplished woman, who can find? Her value is far beyond pearls.

Batach bah lev ba'lah v'shalal lo yechsar

Her husband's heart relies on her and he shall lack no fortune.

G'malathu tov v'lo ra kol y'mei chayeiha

She does him good and not evil, all the days of her life.

Darshah tzemer ufishtim vata'as b'chefetz kapeiha

She seeks wool and flax, and works with her hands willingly.

Haitah ko'oniyot socher mimerchak tavi lachmah

She is like the merchant ships, she brings her bread from afar.

Vatakom b'od lailah vatiten teref l'vetah v'chok l'na'aroteiha

She arises while it is still night, and gives food to her household and a portion to her maidservants.

Zam'mah sadeh vatikachehu mip'ri chapeiha nat'ah karem

She plans for a field, and buys it. With the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.

Chagrah v'oz motneiha vat'ametz zro'oteiha

She girds her loins in strength, and makes her arms strong.

Ta'amah ki tov sachrah lo yichbeh balailah nerah

She knows that her merchandise is good. Her candle does not go out at night.

Yadeha shilchah vakishor v'chapeiha tamchu felech

She sets her hands to the distaff, and holds the spindle in her hands.

***Kapah parsah le'ani v'yadeiha shil'chah la'evyon***

***She extends her hands to the poor, and reaches out her hand to the needy.***

Lo tira l'vetah mishaleg ki chol betah lavush shanim

She fears not for her household because of snow, because her whole household is warmly dressed.

Marvadim astah lah shesh v'argaman l'vushah

She makes covers for herself, her clothing is fine linen and purple.

Noda bash'arim ba'lah b'shivto im ziknei aretz

Her husband is known at the gates, when he sits among the elders of the land.

Sadin astah vatimkor vachagor natnah lak'na'ani

She makes a cloak and sells it, and she delivers aprons to the merchant.

***Oz v'hadar l'vushah vatischak l'yom acharon***

***Strength and honor are her clothing, she smiles at the future.***

***Piha patchah v'chochma v'torat chesed al l'shonah***

***She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the lesson of kindness is on her tongue.***

***Tzofi'ah halichot betah v'lechem atzlut lo tochel***

***She watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.***

***Kamu vaneha vay'ash'ruha ba'lah vay'hal'lah***

***Her children rise and praise her*** her husband lauds her.

***Rabot banot asu chayil v'at alit al kulanah***

***Many women have done worthily, but you surpass them all.***

Sheker hachen v'hevel hayofi ishah yir'at Hashem hi tit'halal

Charm is deceptive and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears God shall be praised.

T'nu lah mip'ri yadeiha vihal'luha vash'arim ma'aseha

Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.

~~~~~~~

Jo, I miss you so much. Still.

I'd love to have one of those old fashioned ones on a pulley....from my upstairs bedroom window (which is right by the laundry room)...to well, it'd have to be my neighbor's house! :lol::D

To which my neighbor would say::glare:

;)

You didn't have the answer "the neighborhood association bans it, but I do it anyway."

So far, only one person has complained, and frankly, she was so insulting that I ignored her.

Oh yeah! I kind of do that.....in some fairly obnoxious ways I mentioned in another post in this thread:)

I also don't park my car in the garage <gasp> so I'm really pushing the envelope for the comfort zone of some of my neighbors.

K

Can you scan some of your MIL's pictures and post them for those clothes line aficionados among us?

I am often amazed at the stupidity of human beings. For if one actually has a yard and CAN line dry it would mean that they are a little more well to do than say someone who lives in an apartment and does not even have the option of line drying because there is no yard. So to those who think a line is low rent, I ask how in the heck do you come up with that ridiculous theory. Most line users actually OWN their property. Low rent my @ss.

I love a clothesline. On a sunny day it will dry the clothes faster than a dryer. And a special treat I give to myself is fresh crisp sheets that smell like the sun.

I would love to see your MIL's pictures.

A clothes line means so much about comfort and home and security.

When I see sheets blowing in the wind, I am reminded of my grandmothers and I automatically believe that the owners of said line are kindred spirits. It can definitely be said that there are two kinds of people in this world....those who love a line and those who are bound to an artificial hot air machine that ruins clothes.

Edited by Karen sn

The poll didn't have an option I could choose, so I chose the closest one: yes, and I use a permanently installed pole.

Well, in reality, my clothesline is not permanently installed.

I use a Sunshine Dryer. http://www.sunshine-dryer.com/ A cylindrical base is put in the ground. The rest of the clothesline is an umbrella-style clothesline that I put up before I hang clothes and then take down after I'm done hanging clothes. So, unless the neighbors are home in the middle of the day, they don't see my clothes hanging.

It is a very sturdy and large clothesline--the manufacturer says there's room for 4 king-sized sheets, which I believe since we only have a queen and there's room to spare. I can hang quilts on it, too. An outstanding clothesline!

Forgot to add: I also want to rig a retractable clothesline in our garage for hanging clothes. (Our cars live on the driveway because the only place to store anything in our house is the garage.)

Edited by elw_miller
Gosh I've been forgetful lately! :)

The poll didn't have an option I could choose, so I chose the closest one: yes, and I use a permanently installed pole.

Well, in reality, my clothesline is not permanently installed.

I use a Sunshine Dryer. http://www.sunshine-dryer.com/ A cylindrical base is put in the ground. The rest of the clothesline is an umbrella-style clothesline that I put up before I hang clothes and then take down after I'm done hanging clothes. So, unless the neighbors are home in the middle of the day, they don't see my clothes hanging.

It is a very sturdy and large clothesline--the manufacturer says there's room for 4 king-sized sheets, which I believe since we only have a queen and there's room to spare. I can hang quilts on it, too. An outstanding clothesline!

I love the looks of this and may just have to look into getting one.

You didn't have the answer "the neighborhood association bans it, but I do it anyway."

So far, only one person has complained, and frankly, she was so insulting that I ignored her.

Oh yeah! I kind of do that.....in some fairly obnoxious ways I mentioned in another post in this thread:)

I also don't park my car in the garage <gasp> so I'm really pushing the envelope for the comfort zone of some of my neighbors.

K

Our covenants prohibit line drying, but we have started skirting the issue by putting up a folding clothes dryer on the screened porch. My husband picked up one at Ikea recently that I am going to start using. Looks a bit funky, but I think it will work

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50095091

It will look nicer than having things draped over the chairs ;)

How do you get the towels to not feel like sandpaper when line dried? That's my biggest complaint.

I hadn't thought about the garage as a possibility (perhaps because it's jammed with junk we need to get rid of :tongue_smilie:). Thanks for the idea. Currently I'd be afraid it would make the laundry smell a bit like gasoline from the lawnmower, but we are hoping to replace the gas mower with an electric one when we can (we have a small yard and the reel mower just isn't working on our weeds), so that would help with that issue.

Most of this is driven by my husband, who is trying to reduce our environmental footprint. We've been working toward things for years, but have made a couple larger moves this year: started a compost pile, planting a garden, *he's* handwashing the dishes and using the dishwasher as a drying rack:), buying the line dryer, finding more local sources for foodstuffs, etc.

Our neighborhood covenants allow for line-drying, but not permanent lines. So I use a portable, fold-up drying rack. Doesn't hold much, wish I had two, but I don't have a lot of room to store them. Sometimes I hang stuff over our deck railing, but that's not always entirely clean (hello, birdie!). :)

Down here in FL, I don't think it is specifically disallowed where we live, but with the humidity, it would take forever to dry outside. We have two standing drying racks (Walmart $20 each), and hang up our clothes on that under a ceiling fan. That does the trick and I like not running the dryer and saving money. :)

Seriously? Seriously. Line drying? Not on your life!

Seriously? Seriously. Inside the house? Not on your life!

I'm a modern-conveniences kind of girl. Give me a dryer and I'm a happy camper.:D

I'm just trying to imagine (1) having enough room to put up clotheslines of any kind, and (2) how long it would take for my clothes to dry in this climate. This *humid* climate....

Love my dryer.:D

How do you get the towels to not feel like sandpaper when line dried? That's my biggest complaint.

I actually like sandpapery towels. Exfoliation. But most don't.

I dry most things first in the dryer for about five minutes. Then hang them. This reduces stiffness and wrinkles dramatically. *dramatically*. Towels, for every few minutes they're left in, will be significantly softer. I sometimes leave them in for 10 min.

If there is a boxfan on, like there is overnight, I set up the rack in front of the boxfan. The airmovement helps keep the towels a little less stiff.

(the reel mower just isn't working on our weeds), so that would help with that issue.

Hey, have you tried a Brill mower? It is so much better than the Scott one ime. And keeping the blades sharpened:lol: Yeah I haven't gotten to that in 10 years. But the Brill is so much better.

*he's* handwashing the dishes and using the dishwasher as a drying rack:), buying the line dryer, finding more local sources for foodstuffs, etc.

very cool. very very cool. I imagine he's very careful about how he handwashes dishes......for most, the dishwasher is more efficient even taking into consideration the heating of the water (gas or electric) *and* water use. but for some very conscientious consumers, handwashing wins out. not many though!

K

Thank you for sharing this! LIne drying outside is forbidden in my lease agreement, but since my dryer broke(2 months ago) I have been hanging things to dry all over the house. I needed a more efficient way to do it, as I am not sure I want to buy another dryer. My power bill has dropped so much since the dryer broke, I am quite enjoying that.

Hey, have you tried a Brill mower? It is so much better than the Scott one ime. And keeping the blades sharpened:lol: Yeah I haven't gotten to that in 10 years. But the Brill is so much better.

We've had the blades sharpened, but yes, it's a Scott we got secondhand from the mother of a friend. I'll look into the Brill and see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, I think reel mowers work best on primarily grass lawns. We currently have a primarily weed lawn:). The reel mower did fine at our old house which had a well-established lawn. When we moved in here, the house (only about 3 years old) had been unoccupied for over a year and the stuff the builder put down had basically died, so we had mostly dirt and rocks--very compacted dirt and rocks--think brick and concrete consistency. We seeded and aerated, getting a nice start on some grass, then immediately the next spring and summer started three years of drought where we were not allowed to water *at all* during the majority of the summer or fall. So, all the grass we planted the first fall died (we caught the water from our shower warmups in buckets to put on the other plants, grass wasn't a priority).

It looks like the drought is finally broken, so we are hoping to try to plant grass again this fall. We don't like using herbicides, so I'm really mostly hoping to get the grass going to help fill in for the weeds and barish spots and maybe crowd out some of the weeds. The weeds have actually been doing a nice job of starting to naturally aerate the yard. It should also keep the lawn looking better in the winter. So far we haven't had any comments from the HOA about our yard (fingers crossed), probably because we do mow regularly and the weeds are at least green.:)

We are gradually replacing some of the grass with landscaping (edible and/or native, if possible) and garden beds, etc, but it's a slow process for us as we have a lot of other monetary priorities unfortunately (plus investing in that during a drought seemed a bit foolish). It's kind of like a quote I once saw from Judaism (can't remember the source) that when asked if you are doing a specific mitzvah, instead of answering "no" the answer should be "not yet".:)

very cool. very very cool. I imagine he's very careful about how he handwashes dishes......for most, the dishwasher is more efficient even taking into consideration the heating of the water (gas or electric) *and* water use. but for some very conscientious consumers, handwashing wins out. not many though!

I'll have to look up the info and give it to him. I know *he's* convinced he's saving energy ;) plus he says he finds it relaxing. Maybe now that we will be doing more line drying, he will be willing to use the dishwasher. The whole trying-to-live-more-greenly thing is a learning process.

I answered the other poll, here's the recap...

- prohibited in our neighborhood

- family allergies, so outdoors no good for us anyway

- I have a retractable line in the basement

- if I'm not behind on the wash, i line dry all but sheets, towels jeans (and underwear, another poster reminded me)

We currently have a primarily weed lawn:).

Me too!

No chemicals....we just mow.

when asked if you are doing a specific mitzvah, instead of answering "no" the answer should be "not yet".:)

Mmhmm.

I'll have to look up the info and give it to him. I know *he's* convinced he's saving energy ;) plus he says he finds it relaxing.

Okay. Well that's worth it no matter what.:)

K

I line dry everything except socks and undergarments. Our neighborhood doesn't have an HOA. But, I doubt many of the neighbors can see our clothesline due to high block walls and lots of landscaping. We live in the desert, so I'm able to line dry year round. I started over a year and a half ago after dh lost his job and we needed to cut corners. Now, with electric rates going up (and supposed to be going up again) I can't bring myself to go back to using the dryer all the time. I do use the dryer to fluff things, but it's still so much less than if I were to dry everything.

We did live in a neighborhood for awhile with an HOA. I'm not sure if it was against the rules, but I discreetly put up a short line on the back porch. With our high temps, everything dried fairly quick, so I was able to make due with what I had.

I haven't read all the previous posts....this may have been said before, but I would ask your HOA why they are not allowing something that is an eco-friendly option to drying clothes. "Going Green" is everywhere and I think that not having an alternative is very odd (especially with those archaic views of line-drying). I have an indoor line that my DH made, we use it great deal and I also use my dryer, we don't have the outside space for a line, but if we did I would certainly use that option.

I haven't read all the previous posts....this may have been said before, but I would ask your HOA why ...

Yeah, it's covered in my initial post. All of the reasons. The ridiculous reasons. I also think that as the support for both 'green' actions and 'cost cutting' actions increases, attitudes towards clothes lines and line drying have shifted and will continue to shift.

K

Reposted......

It weighs 4.9 lbs

http://store.laundrylist.org/Mrs_Peg...e_p/20-006.htm

I actually wanted to get this one as it's got 10 ft additional drying line, but it's *20* lbs instead of 4.9 and about $25 more after shipping is factored in. It comes in two sizes as well

http://www.breezedryer.com/products/...0-287-257.html

Katherine

These prices are crazy...you can get these things in Europe for half or 1/3 of this price... (the cheapest are like 10 USD)

Another idea is to have similar kind installed up high and lower it for hanging purposes. People in Europe have these in their bathrooms or on their balcony.

http://www.mireks.pl/Allegro/suszarkasufit/suszarki-sufitowe%20kopia.jpg

http://www.airdry.org/pl/

The ridiculous covenants of our neighborhood specifically prohibit outdoor drying of laundry on both permanent and temporary devices. I should go find the document and type it in. Fascist. Seriously. But anway.

Hmmm, if they specifically prohibit DRYING laundry on devices, could you do an art installation of, say, assorted dry undies on a line. In your front yard, of course. Because you wouldn't be actually DRYING LAUNDRY. You'd just be displaying it.

Of course, I'd be in favor of mowing pictures in the grass (drop the blade lower on parts), and roofing in multi-colored shingles (all types approved by HOA), possibly spelling out commentary. You know, all sorts of things that are in the letter of the covenant, but really way outside of the spirit. So maybe I'm not the best person to have this discussion with.

These prices are crazy...you can get these things in Europe for half or 1/3 of this price..

I can get all of those here too for the same prices or less. And I have had them. They're tippy. The wires eventually bend.

The one I chose is very different. It's nearly 5' tall. the lines are plastic and can be tightened over time. The size I have can hold two king sheets and still have two lines available.

I like inexpensive. I often choose inexpensive. In this category, I've done inexpensive but knew that for specific reasons, this particular device would better suit our needs. Expensive yup. But it'll easily pay for itself within a year. Easily. I'm happy to hang the sheets, towels and all clothes with the right set up (this is that set up). But with regular racks, I don't have the space for towels and all of the sheets.....so regular inexpensive racks save less $$ for me, effectiely costing me more over the long haul.

Katherine

Hmmm, if they specifically prohibit DRYING laundry on devices, could you do an art installation of, say, assorted dry undies on a line. In your front yard, of course. Because you wouldn't be actually DRYING LAUNDRY. You'd just be displaying it......snip.....

So maybe I'm not the best person to have this discussion with.

Oooh, but you are:)

k

An older couple (early 70's I think) were out walking their puppy one day and said to me as I hung out my laundry "We appreciate your commitment to the environment."

I said, "I appreciate my commitment to be cheap."

I think that most of my neighbors (I'm in a neighborhood where we are the youngest family by possibly decades) remember not having dryers. While a few think it looks tacky, I think the whole "environmental"-ness of line drying will win many over.

Give them a shake. That's all we do. In any case, I'm used to it and towels don't seem clean unless they're a bit stiff like that. We had a run of bad weather and with two kids in nappies, one of whom can puke past any bib we put on him, we had to take a few loads to dry at the laundromat. I felt like the towels hadn't even been washed because they were so floppy! It's all what you're used to, I guess.

Laws against hanging washing to dry is one of the silliest things I think I've ever heard. How wasteful! I'm not going to knock anyone who wants to run a dryer, but if I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd think the laws were created with financial backing from electricity companies.

Rosie

Haven't read the whole thread yet but this is what I just got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H1GUXW/ref=ox_ya_oh_product It's lightweight (very) but very sturdy with the legs open wide, can fit a whole large load and can be used inside and out. You can't beat the price for the size even with shipping. I love it!

Thanks for posting this!!!!!

we are allowed to hang-dry laundry, but there is no line outside. I set up the drying rack when I can outside, but we are waiting for 1) enough money and time to put up a clothesline and 2) our landlord to mark where the piping for the sprinkler system is so we don't accidentally hit a pipe when setting up the posts.

for all the cool links--now I have a new thing to daydream about. I would LOVE to have an efficient way to dry laundry in and out of doors. Even though our winters here are so long, we could use a couple of these indoor versions in various places around the house. Thanks again for the wonderful ideas, ladies!:D

Where is the other option? Yes, line drying is allowed but I do not have a permanent line installed. Well, unless you count the swingset. I have a portable rack outside. I line dry everything except undergarments, sheets, and towels. No room for the sheets and dh hates stiff towels.

It is one of the strangest things I find about U.S. culture compared to Australian. We dont even have a dryer! Yet in the U.S. it is completely normal to use phenomenal amounts of electricity to dry clothes in a machine. I guess it's our weather here.

However, in our present house the laundry is a huge room, and the outdoor clothesline sits under an aerial on the roof that birds love to sit on. Not a good combination, and we rent and cant relaly change it. So we have 4 large drying racks in the laundry. In good weather, we carry them outside, but the laundry has teh hot water system in it so stays warm anyway. In summer, things take a day to dry. In winter, 2-3 days. With one load of washing per rack, it works perfectly well.

We have a clause in our rental agreement that says no hanging washing in the front yard. But I dont think anyone in AUstralia would have one that says you couldnt do it in your backyard.

I hang outside for the economy of it. But because I'm also short on time I can't hang everything outside. So I hang large items, jeans, & towels outside. Socks & underwear are dried in the dryer. I toss all line dried items in the dryer for 5 minutes to fluff and kill hitch-hikers. I leave the socks & underwear in for several cycles of fluffing the line dried items, so they don't use a lot of extra energy.

It is too humid in Atlanta to line dry in the summer and there is too much pollen in the spring and fall for my allergies. I do hang a lot to dry indoors and have even put a fan in front of it on some really humid days. We were in Italy this summer and line dried everything - it smelled so fresh.