Menu

Is there a 6th grade planning thread

I'll add my list.

Math: DS10 is completing MM5 soon and will start MM6. So when MM6 is completed, he will go on to MM pre-algebra?? I believe Maria is working on pre-alg level now.
LOF Decimals and Percents. Murderous Maths books. We also have all 3 Kitchen Table math books that I need to remember to use.

Language Arts: Continue WWS 1(going slowly with this), Daily Paragraph Editing, Figuratively Speaking, possibly LOF new LA books

History: Finish SOTW Vol 3. then start Vol. 4 with activity guide (taking 3 years to complete vol. 3 & 4 because we take rabbit trails with some corresponding American history)

Science: Finish BFSU Vol. 2, then start Vol. 3. Also, Ellen McHenryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Elements, Cells and The Brain units

Literature: Ready Readers, and SWB literature handout

Logic: Orbiting with Logic, then Art of Argument

• Like 2

I'm not sure I'm ready to admit she'll be 6th grade next year! 

Bible - possibly BSF

Grammar and Writing - CC's Essentials (Essentials of the English Language and IEW), plus Daily Grams for quick review and extra usage work

I'd like to do more non-IEW writing if we can make time alongside - maybe Bravewriter style

Literature - history related free-reading shelf, maybe Figuratively Speaking, a few carefully chosen read alouds

Spelling - maybe SWR or Dictation Plus

Math - Saxon 6/5

Science - undecided

History - VP self-paced 1815 - modern America

Memory work - CC's Foundations, CC's Prescripts (cursive practice and drawing)

Latin - GSWL

Extras - Chess and Piano, hopefully one other thing

• Like 4

Here is what I have so far:

11 y.o. DS, this is kind of a 6th/7th mash-up.  This will be our first year fully at home, after doing K-5 at a small, private elementary school.  He is so excited to begin homeschooling and has really enjoyed selecting his curriculum.  He likes a variety, and is pretty motivated when it comes to something he wants to do :) 

Math:     TT PreAlgebra supplemented with LOF Pre A, and then fun math (Balance Benders, Zaccarro and Understanding Geometry)

History:  Finish up HO Ancients with Human Odyssey and begin HO Middle Ages

Geography:  Discovering the World of Geography workbooks

Science:  McHenry's The Elements, Story of Science and maybe a textbook or 2, which he enjoys reading for fun.  If we finish those things, I have Mr. Q Advanced Bio (the Anatomy one), otherwise I will save that for the next year.

Writing:  Writing Tales 2 (with DS2)

LA:     Caesar's English 1, Grammar Voyage, various EM things (daily paragraph editing, daily language review, daily reading comp, spelling) for morning work.

Foreign Language:  Continue with Spanish via Duo Lingo and maybe the Practice Makes Perfect book, I also have Greek Code Cracker

Misc:  Meet the Great Composers, Mindbenders, Venn Perplexors, Let's Make Some Great Art

Lit:   We will work on reading comprehension with the short passage stuff, and I am working on a book list for him.  We will most likely just read and discuss this year and start a formal lit program the next year.

Extracurricular stuff--hopefully some kind of theater program, and he plays tennis a few days a week

• Like 2

My 4th is going to be 6th next year! :huh:

Our line-up:

Math: Saxon Math 87

English:

Rod & Staff English 6

Spelling Workout F

Tapestry of Grace Dialectic Literature & writing

Latin: Lively Latin Big Book 1 (Finish)

History, geography, etc.: Tapestry of Grace Ancients

Science: Elemental Science Physics for Grammar Stage

Logic - Still considering

• Like 1

Ahh, 6th grade.  This one is harder for me because even though I have done this before, my younger daughter is the polar opposite of my older so a different approach is required. 

Math: Abeka (after several approaches, this one just works best for her). 

Grammar: Abeka

Writing: Kilgallon and free writing (she loves journal writing to a prompt)

Literature: A selection of books to cover different genres and some book report type projects (hands on is best for her)

Science: CK-12 Earth Science (with her 8th grade sister)

History: Also with 8th grade sister - SOTW book 3 with emphasis on American History including additional reading and Time Traveler's projects

Hoping Getting Started with French is published by August so I can use that but if not, we will have something for French 

She also loves things like logic puzzles, analogies, etc so I will also have some of those things in there as well.  

She takes art classes, gymnastics, dance and has lots of fine art involvement, etc as well outside of school.  

ETA: She will also soon be taking regular baking/cake decorating classes from a friend who happens to be a trained professional baker. 

• Like 3

Well, I had a plan all mapped out, but somehow I've had a change of heart.  We've been on the rotation merry-go-round for so long that I just felt DD would enjoy a class where she could choose something of her own to learn.  She loves history and eagerly looks forward to the next chronological period, so we'll stay with that. 

However, science is a different matter.  DD is not a STEM candidate because math is her weak spot (plus she HATES it) and science, while interesting, doesn't hold the same allure as history.  I had it all planned that we would do Physics next year, according to rotation...but....then I saw this awesome new curriculum, "Discovering Intelligent Design" and thought, "Wow, that would be really interesting", as it delves into genetics and DNA. Unfortunately, I came to the realization that I may want that more than she would (I never asked her about it or showed it to her because I came up with a new idea).  I do plan to order that curriculum if just for me to peruse.  If it's as good as I think it is, I'll use it as a supplement to future evolution discussions in texts to provide a contrasting view.

So, what did I come up with?  Well, I talked to DD about the possibility of choosing her own science topics for next year.  We use TOG which is comprised of 4 units.  I told DD she could choose 4 different areas of science to learn about, and we would explore those components for 8-10 weeks each using our Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia (3rd Edition) as a spine with lots of living books from the library, BrainPop (we have a subscription) and DIY, How Stuff Works, or appropriate vids from Netflix, YT, and Amazon Prime.  I can also get books from the library and research the net for appropriate experiments if the need arises. Accountability will be in the form of narrations, reports, outlines, and verbal discussions. If this works well, we may do this for the next 3 years until HS when we have to have more structured classes for a transcript. 

So, after saying all that, here's what we have planned so far (subject to change):

• Bible: Done as a family in the evenings after dinner by choosing a book, reading a chapter/night and verbally discussing/analyzing  Okay, this has now changed to "The Defense Never Rests" curriculum by William Lane Craig, accompanied by his books, On Guard and Reasonable Faith, and, of course, the Bible.  We are all looking forward to doing this together.
  • TOG 3 for: History, Church History, Geography, Literature, Arts/Crafts (DD loves the integration of all these classes with TOG)
  • Science: Interest led using Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia as a spine
  • Writing: WWS 1 & Kilgallon Sentence Composing for Middle School (Now I'm thinking about delving into IEW, TWSS!)
  • Spelling: How To Teach Spelling - Workbook 4
  • Latin: MP's First Form Latin (We are using LC this year) This class was requested by DD
  • Grammar: R&S 6 lined up with corresponding Latin grammar schedule
  • Math: Horizons Math 6 (we supplement w/LOF & MM during the summers - Decimals & Percents this summer prior to Horizons 6 to cement concepts)
  • Poetry: MP's Poetry for the Grammar Stage (we will finish the book which we just started this semester @ 2 Poems a month +/-)
  • Logic: Art of Argument Oops!  Have to edit.  I just found and ordered Philosophy Adventures!  I can't wait to start it with her.

• Like 7

I've been trying to flesh out a 6th grade plan for some time. Mostly we will continue with what we are doing since my own college classes and a severe case of the winter blahs have us behind schedule. Although knowing us, the return of warm weather will jump start our studies. We get so much more done when the sun is shining.

We've hit a snag in Saxon6/5 and we're reviewing and backtracking a bit. But I'm pretty sure we'll move on by fall. So we'll be moving on into 7/6 if my ds isn't sick of these math texts yet. But they get the job done. ETA well I decided to get math in focus 5A and 5B. We sort of jettisoned Saxon last month, so now my 6th grade math plans are completely unknown to me. Sigh. ETA: I absolutely hate MIF!!! Going back to Saxon.Just Saxon...plain and simple. I may try to add in some activities from the Family Math Middle School book.

Lang arts will be a continuation of Bravewriter, although I want to add WWS1 this year. So that may become our main focus. Grammar? I have saxon hake 6th here, but I don't want to overwhelm him with assignments, and he is pretty good at grammar, so I'm not sure how much we'll use it actually.

ETA decided not to start wws yet, but to continue with Bravewriter, and ordered some Killgallon. 

Continue with Sequential Spelling. I'd like to add vocab from classical roots. He's been working on typing, so continue that. I'd like to find some good computer activities for him. I've accepted that he hates cursive and it's as good as it's going to get so I'll stop the handwriting torture.

ETA: Dropping spelling this year. Language arts this year will be Bravewriter ---just Bravewriter (Partnership Writing, Faltering Ownership, Arrow guides, maybe a Boomerang or two.) I'm going to have him continue with Killgallon as he really enjoys it. The vocab workbooks will be here, but since I want to add French and Latin, I'm not going to push finishing a workbook.

History. I'd like to continue with us history and geography. But I think I'm going to try to cycle back into ancients. I'd like to use k12 HO and get through some ancients and middle ages quickly. It's not his favorite subject. I think reading that and doing some activities with his brother from sotw and history odyssey will be enough and then we could get into a 3year history rotation rather than 4. I have history Odyssey level 2 here but it's doubtful we'll follow it exactly except the timeline study.

ETA: History will be K12 Human Odyssey lined up with Pandia Press Ancients level 2, and eventually Middle Ages level 2. 

Science will be earth science with his brother as well who will be using rso. I think I'll get Holt science earth for him and add some physical geography as well.

That is the basic plan. Other subjects (such as art, nature study) can be a continuation of what we already do. 

I admit I'm nervous about how textbook heavy we have slowly become but it seems to work and keep us on track.

Eta: one thing I don't have is a reading plan. Or any kind of lit studies. I could just continue with Newbery which we have enjoyed, but I'd like to get into some classics. 

ETA thinking about adding Lively Latin. 

ETA: Definitely working in Lively Latin Big Book 1 this year and Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn French book 1.

• Like 1

Well, if I HAVE to...

MFW RTR (science, Bible, history, art, music)

CLE 600 math

R&S 6 grammar

R&S 7 spelling

CLE Reading 6

Two Progeny Press guides, Tom Sawyer and Bridge to Terabithia

Typing

IEW Ancient and Medieval writing packs

Thinking Toolbox for logic

We dropped Latin, we'll be doing roots with RTR.  We'll pick back up with French or Spanish in 8th or 9th grade.

Competitive gymnastics, not sure  what level yet.  Choir when gymnastics permits, AHG.

• Like 1

At this point:

History/ Geography/Literature: TOG Year 4, dialectic

Writing: WWS 2

Grammar: Rod and Staff 6 (may need to finish 5), Daily Grams

Spelling: Either Rod and Staff 6 or Spelling Power

Math: Probably continue on with Horizon's 6

Science: Prentice Hall Science Explorer Earth Science

Foreign Language: Elementary Greek 2

• Like 1

Tentative plans:

Math - Singapore Math 6 or Systemath 6, plus Your Business Math (Simply Charlotte Mason)

History, including Church History - Mystery of History Vol. 2, Trial & Triumph, Peril & Peace, plus others in the series, An Island Story, Story of the Middle Ages, Story of the Renaissance & Reformation, The Story of the Romans, plus various biographies and a few historical fiction titles

Science - Tiner titles, Wonders of Creation series, The Mystery of the Periodic Table, It Just Couldn't Happen, The Sea Around Us

Language Arts - Jump In (2nd half), Language Lessons through Literature, Dictation Day by Day, writing across the curriculum, and possibly AttuneUp

Foreign Language - Hey Andrew! ... Greek! levels 4/5

Lit. - a book list he can choose from

Other - TaeKwon-Do, programming, Home Art Studio, possibly another Minecraft Homeschooling course

I'm undecided about logic and our afternoon family reading.

• Like 2

Haven't replied here is a while, but it will be helpful to write out what I am thinking for my youngest guy.  Can't believe he'll be in 6th...yikes!  Very undecided still...

Bible - OT using Explorer's Discovery - 1 or 2 books.  Older brothers will use Quest so we can keep together here. 

History - Listening in on older brothers Notgrass World History - I think and EP links.

Science - Taking two Lego classes at co-op & Earth Science - probably using EP again.

Math - CLE 600 - switching to TT 6 - mostly reviewing and then TT 7 next year.

LA - CLE 600 Reading & Essentials in Writing 6 plus WriteShop - I teach this in co-op class - he needs writing help.  Going to add spelling - either R & S or Soaring with Spelling - I bought both - trying to decide.  Changing a lot in LA....Also, want to have him read more!

Extra's - Guitar lessons, Little League and club baseball, Sun night church group for boys (Truth Trackers)....lots of friend time for my most social one!!    

Have definitely gotten more relaxed with this third guy!!!   

Edited because I have changed a lot of things!

• Like 1

These are what's up for consideration:

Math - Jousting with Armadillos or MM6

Science - Elemental Science: Earth Science Logic stage/Chemistry Grammar Stage

History - Famous Men of Rome or Ancient Times with Beautiful Feet

Language - LLATL or a combination of Hake Grammar, Various Literature I choose and Write Smith (or Jump in)

Spelling - Soaring with Spelling

Latin - First Form Latin 1(again)

Logic - Orbiting with Logic

• Like 1

The oldest of my "little crew" will be a sixth grader this fall. He has matured so much this year, yet retained his stereotypical Boy qualities. He's a blast.

Grammar: Rod and Staff's English 6

Spelling: Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure 6

Writing: Wordsmith

Math: Horizons 6/prealgebra

Language: Latin Alive 1

History/science/literature: Adventures in the Sea and Sky from Winter Promise

Logic: Art of Argument

Bible: straight Bible reading with daily discussion, and reading through volumes 2-4 of The Book of Life.

Extracurricular: Boy Scouts, swim team, and performing with a WWII era dance group

*I'll* miss Veritas Press history, which is all he's ever done for history, but I know he'll love Adventures. The 4th grade sister he's usually combined with will have a geography year instead, since she could give a fig about boats and planes.

Hello SilverMoon,

What Pre algebra are you using for your dc?

Technically, dd#2 will be in 6th next year, but her skills are in non-academic areas. I'll continue to keep her with 'the youngers', I think, for everything except Science. Here's my tentative plan:

Math:  Abeka 5

Language Arts:  Spell to Write & Read, Writing Tales 2? (depends on how WT1 goes this summer) or GWG5, Sentence Family

History:  Story of the World 3

Science:  Rainbow Science Yr 1 w/dd#1

Logic:  Fallacy Detective

Latin: LC1

Religion: Baltimore Catechism (section 3) w/Child's Bible History

Continue karate, horseback riding, & art lessons locally.

• Like 1

Hello SilverMoon,

What Pre algebra are you using for your dc?

I'll keep him in Horizons this year. Math is one subject we do nearly year round, so he should finish Horizon 6 before the end of the sixth grade. When that happens he'll begin Horizon prealgebra.

Underconsideration:

MATH: Math in Focus + Something yet to be determined.

LITERATURE: Mosdos grade 6 then onto 7, plus independent reading.

GRAMMAR: Shurley English grade 6 without the writing

SPELLING: The Logic of English combined with dictation.

WRITING: Writing with Skill 2

GEOGRAPHY:  The Geography Bee

HISTORY: K12's The Human Odyssey

SCIENCE: CPO Earth Science

EXTRA: Piano, Swim Team, Perplexors, analogies

• Like 1

I can't believe my oldest is going to be in 6th. Here's what I have planned:

Math - continue in MUS. He finished Delta and is almost finished with Epsilon, so I think he'll be in Zeta before the end of the year. So I ordered pre-algebra and algebra 1 and we'll see how far he gets. :) My current plan is for him to go as far in MUS as he can through 7th, and then switch to something like Jacob's.

History - we'll finish off our 3 year cycle with Modern Times (with his 4th grade brother). We'll use Christine Miller's books, SOTW audio, Dover coloring books, and lots of biographies.  

Science - we'll learn "chemistry," focusing on terms and concepts and memorizing (and understanding) the periodic table. I'm still researching possible books and materials for this.

Bible - Covenantal Catechism books 4 & 5 on the New Testament. Plus I'll give him a Bible-reading chart and challenge him to read through the Bible in a year.

Writing - Written narrations based on history and science independent reading. We'll cover grammar and spelling and language arts along the way. They'll also have to copy some of their memory work, which is handwriting and spelling as well.

Latin - We're doing LFC, but taking 2 years for each book just because that's the way life goes and because I'm adding in extra translation/grammar work as we go. So, he'll finish LFC B this year. So, Latin is also grammar and handwriting and vocabulary.

Circle Time - I'll rename it Recitation this year since Circle Time sounds pretty Preschool-oriented. :) We'll sing hymns, memorize & review Psalms, memorize the book of Colossians, each child will have 6 poems to memorize over the year, and we'll also use this time for journalling. Each student has their own binder with the memory work, and I think that this has helped with spelling (seeing & noticing words), reading fluency, speech, and writing (internalizing advanced language patterns).

I also hope to be more consistent with nature walks & nature journaling, and introduce a commonplace book and the habit of journalling/copying while reading.

• Like 5

Since we are running behind this year, and so much of what we do in the fall depends on what we can finish this year, this is a tentative list of what we should be doing:

Math-Singapore Math finish 5 and move into 6 (working over the summer too) along with some work in MEP...I may look at other programs for her such as AOPS...will add some geometry too

English-heavy emphasis on writing and grammar this year but I'm undecided on the texts that I will be using...I'm thinking that we will start KISS grammar soon.

Latin-First Form Latin (maybe)

French 2-she's been keeping up with older sister. I'll probably use Breaking the Barrier and heavy supplements as well.

Science-physics, microbiology/microscope, biology and/or something with the books by Ellen McHenry, ornithology and marine biology

Ancient History-Book of the Ancient World and then move into the Greeks

National History-finish The World of William Penn and then move into George Washington's World

Art-artist studies, art lessons, etc.

Geography-Tree in the Trail and possibly A Child's Geography

Literature-poetry, George MacDonald author study, Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, Persuasion, North and South, The Complete Tales from Shakespeare, Ivanhoe (she's been asking for the latter book for years..I have not one good excuse for why I keep putting this off. :()

Shakespeare: currently reading Romeo and Juliet (with some edits) with older sister and then moving into The Merchant of Venice and plan to follow with Hamlet

She will have piano, ballet and maybe archery lessons.

ETA: I've updated this.

• Like 1

It's so hard to believe that ds will be in 6th. Quite a few of my plans will only be tentative because I'm involved in a co-op that hasn't started discussing next year yet.

Here are some fairly certain subjects:

Bible: Awana and some non-fiction student books such as Case for Faith

History: BJU Ancients 6th

LA: CLE (omitting penmanship and spelling)

Spelling: R&S

Latin: First Form Latin

Cursive: BJU (still needs more practice on this)

Basketball in local church program

Math:continue BJU or begin Lial's series

Our co-op does writing, art, and science together. We haven't begun deciding if we will continue those subjects or not.

Writing and Literature class: I teach IEW writing now in addition to leading our larger homeschool group's middle book club. I'd love to put together my own writing and literature class following much of the models of TTC and IEW. I would incorporate poetry, short stories, and whole books. I would begin with writing full sentence answers, writing short essay answers, and end with essay response papers.

Science: This is where I'm torn. Apologia Elementary Chemistry and Physics was the choice this year. I had never used Apologia elementary books, and I don't really care for them. I would love to do BJU science online at home; but if they want to do science next year, that means doing 2 sciences again. It's not gone as well this year as I'd hoped, but family issues have been in the way a little with that. If they would offer Apologia General, I might have him take it. He could do some of the advanced courses if he starts the series early. I'm fairly sure he'll end up in a science field because it is his favorite subject, and he's a natural at math.

• Like 1

Rough draft 6th grade (ds):

Math--Pre-algebra (Dolciani 1988)

English--R&S 6 English

Writing--IEW-SICC-B (second half), then IEW Elegant Essay, interspersed with School Composition lessons (Maxwell, 1902)

Spelling--R&S Spelling 6

Literature--Pick books from VP list, do something for lit analysis(???)

Vocabulary--either continue Vocabulary Workshop or switch to English from the Roots Up

Science--BJU Science 6

History--OUP's World in Ancient Times + Study Guides, plus Studies Weekly Social Studies (New Hampshire's 5th grade = US history)

Geography--Discovering the World of Geography workbook (5th/6th grade)

Civics--OUP's A History in Documents, The Bill of Rights

Logic--Art of Argument

Test Prep/Cursive Practice/Dictionary Practice/Editing Practice--IEW Fix-It, Evan Moor Daily Reading Comprehension

German--Duolingo

Plus we do CC memory work, oral presentations

May try our local Speech Club for 6th, Debate for 7th

• Like 1

I can't believe that I will have a 6th grader next year!

MFW RTR (Bible, History, Science, Music, Art)

CLE 600 Math

R&S 6 English

R&S 6 Spelling

IEW - either SICC-A or Medieval History

Progeny Press Guides - thinking about Bridge to Terabithia, Island of the Blue Dolphins, and A Wrinkle in Time

Typing

PE with our homeschool group here on base

Horse Riding

Piano

• Like 1

Okay, I stated earlier that we will do interest-led science next year (Kingfisher Science Ency + living books).  Well, DD just piped up and told me she would love to delve more deeply into all the different diseases that have been mentioned in her history readings which have decimated people groups - diseases like smallpox, plague, etc.

So along with KSE, I've just found a book on Amazon called: Disease: The Extraordinary Stories Behind History's Deadliest Killers by Mary Dobson that we can read together.  It looks great!  Now I just have to wait and get some money because right before she said this, I purchased her spelling workbook, WWS1, and Kilgallon.  Seems like I'm always waiting for the moola.....oh well, next week!

I also forgot to add her extra-curriculars: To-Shin Do, Puppet Ministry, Children's Starbright Theater Group, Flute/Band

• Like 2

I am not completely settled on all options but here is what I think we are doing:

• English-Saxon Grammar and Writing 6
  • Math-Saxon Homeschool Math 76
  • History-Medieval History Portfolio and Timeline Binder with History Revealed RRR, Story of the World 2, & Ages of Grace
  • Science-Elemental Science Earth Science & Astronomy for the Logic Stage
  • Poetry-Art of Poetry
  • Vocabulary-Caesars English 2
  • Art-Connect the Thoughts Artists Basics
  • Music-Piano Instruction
  • PE-Ballet
  • Art of Argument
  • Language Lessons through Literature 5
  • Latin-Linney's Latin Class

• Like 1

We are still going to use the Seton Home Study Curriculum. For all the talk I have been doing about changing things up, I realize it is working well for us, and Melissa does not WANT to change. It's a well rounded, traditional education and I'm pleased with the results, so we are going to stick with it.

However, I learned a lot of things about me, about my philosophy about education, and how I want our home school to work. Melissa loves the additions, so we are going to work on HOW we learn the lessons rather than blame the Box. What I mean is - a box or no isn't the problem, it's the underlying thought processes and how the knowledge is imparted and retained. 

We do not want or need to do public school at home. However, we both seem to need structure and accountability - so the box is where we will stay until it does NOT work. 

Art
Art 6 for Young Catholics

English
English 6 for Young Catholics

History
America's Catholic Heritage (This is from General Washington to Ronald Reagan)
Maps, Charts, Graphs Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Level E

Mathematics
Saxon 6/5

Music
We Sing and Harmonize 
Some sort of Musical Notation Reading Instruction as well

Physical Education 
Whatever is in the curriculum they send us. 

Reading
This is Our Heritage - Reader
Reading 6 for Young Catholics Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Comprehension
Reading 6 for Young Catholics Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Thinking Skills (Based in the Story of St. Francis Xavier)
Book of Valor - Reader

Book Report Books (we may do the alternates which are Swiss Family Robinson and Adam of the Road)
Winged Watchman
Beorn the Proud
St. Francis and the Seas
One Saint Biography of our Choice

Religion
Religion 6 for Young Catholics
Bible History for Young Catholics: The Old Testament
St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 2

Science/Health
GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Marvelous Works Book 2 
Health 6 for Young Catholics - Respiratory, digestive, circulatory, and nervous systems. 

Decided not to do this: 
Dr. Jay Wile "Science in the Beginning" and "Science with the Ancients" various lessons from both books  to coincide with the topics from the required Text of GMW2

Chose this: 
Prentice Hall Earth Science

Spelling
Spelling 6 for Young Catholics

• Like 4

Logic - Art of Argument (hope to start a group) 

I was lucky to get a small group of locals together to do AofA first semester of this school year. It was a LOT of fun. Some rabbit trails, some Jeopardy & other games, and lots of discussion. In general, the older the kids were, the better they were able to grasp some of the harder concepts. But they all had fun.

Still working things out. However, this is the plan:

Bible - Explorers Discovery level, NT, probably on the epistles

Language Arts - R&S 6,  Paragraph Town, Spelling Workout G, Medieval literature

History - Human Odyssey Vol. 2, Maps & Charts workbook

Math - MUS Pre-Algebra and Singapore 6A-B

Science - Earth Science - I dunno what....combined with geography?

Latin - Latin Alive 1 (hope to start a group)

Logic - Art of Argument (hope to start a group) and Discovery of Deduction - We'll be doing this with my high schooler

Extras: 4H, AHG

Anyone have some earth science recommendations for me?

We like Tiner's Exploring Planet Earth.

Still working things out. However, this is the plan:

Bible - Explorers Discovery level, NT, probably on the epistles

Language Arts - R&S 6,  Paragraph Town, Spelling Workout G, Medieval literature

History - Human Odyssey Vol. 2, Maps & Charts workbook

Math - MUS Pre-Algebra and Singapore 6A-B

Science - Earth Science - I dunno what....combined with geography?

Latin - Latin Alive 1 (hope to start a group)

Logic - Art of Argument (hope to start a group) and Discovery of Deduction - We'll be doing this with my high schooler

Extras: 4H, AHG

Anyone have some earth science recommendations for me?

We will be using Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy for the Logic Stage.

Here is the sample. The link on the website doesn't work. http://d3r1z7wkgqhj9d.cloudfront.net/esalogic%20sample.pdf

I don't want to do 6th again.  It means I'm that much closer to having another one in highschool. :(

I think this dc will be easier though.  She's very easy to home school - can adapt to lots of different methods of learning so I can choose programs based on ease of use and content versus having to choose based on learning style. 

Math -

She will probably need to finish up a few sections of 5B then move onto 6.  She's going a bit slower as we move up in levels but I'm so pleased with her math understanding and mental math skills.  Slow and steady. :)

English -

Mosdos (I can't remember the 6th grade level name).  This includes vocab work, literary elements, reading, some analysis, and writing exercises.

WWS 1

Analytical Grammar Season 1

Spelling Power

History -

SOTW 3 

Geography - 

Beautiful Feet Geography

Science - As usual for this subject...I don't know.  MrQ Chemistry fell flat this year.  It was too easy for this dd and too far over ds7's head but I had to have something they could do together.  I just couldn't do 4 different sciences this year.  Next year I'm hoping she can be a little more independent.  Maybe I'll go with what I'd wanted to do at the beginning of this year...ACSI.

She probably needs some type of informal logic...have to research that.  I wasn't enthralled with AoA or Fallacy Detective when I used them with the older two. 

• Like 3

English: Analytical Grammar, Beyond the book Report and a roots based vocab

Writing: IEW Ancients

Math: math on the level, Math Mammoth, LOF

Latin

History: Beautiful Feet Ancients, our Kingfischer encyclopedia, SOW

Art: Meet the Masters, Ancient history projects

Piano

Science: possibly RS4K Astronomy, BF History of Science Ancients section, class at nature center along with nature study

Logic

Also we will work on "travel" French and Italian as we hope to visit both at end of year

• Like 2

Well.... I haven't hopped onto this thread because there's a good chance DS will actually be attending a brick & mortar school next year... We are still exploring our options. But, in case we are still at home, I have some tentative plans in my head that I'll go ahead and share:

Math: AoPS Prealgebra

LA: not sure... We're doing MCT Voyage level this spring. If it goes well and we still love it, I would plan the next level of MCT. Otherwise, I would probably look at Hake 7. Either way, I'd consider trying WWS for writing, and possibly add something more formal for literature.

Science: I've looked at Plato online for middle school, I think that would be a good fit.

History: whatever's left of Human Odyssey 2, which we are starting soon, followed by HO 3.

Adding in Spanish, Programming (that one is all on DH, LOL!), logic books, sports/health, and outsourced art classes.

• Like 1

My oldest will be a 6th grader and here's my tentative plan:

Math: Teaching Textbooks

Bible: God's Great Covenant

Grammar: R&S 6

Spelling: Spelling Workout

Composition: Memoria Press Classical Composition (finishing Fable, beginning Narration)

Literature: I have a book list that corresponds to history

History: a very very revised version of History Odessey: Middle Ages

Science: I have no idea yet, toying with several ideas

Latin: Second Form Latin

Greek: Greek for Children

Spanish: Getting Started With Spanish

Logic: not sure yet

• Like 1

Caution: extremely tentative. It seems like every time I put a plan together and tell someone about it, DD changes and I have to rewrite half of it, so as it stands right now:

Math: finish Lial's BCM, then Jousting Armadillos + Patty Paper Geometry

English: OM 6, CAP Writing & Rhetoric, Phonetic Zoo or Apples & Pears

History: OM Ancient Civilizations

Science: The Sciences: An Integrated Approach, Ellen McHenry chemistry 

Latin: Latin Prep 1A

Music: guitar, possibly choir

• Like 1

dd11 will be 6th grade next year, too. 

Math: Saxon 7/6 and Hands on equations

English: The Spell of Words, Fix It Grammar, IEW SWI B

History: MFW 1850 to Modern Times

Science: MFW Chemistry & Physics

Victus Study Skills

continue piano lessons

Visual Latin

Chinese for Beginners with her brother

• Like 1

It's so hard to believe that ds will be in 6th. Quite a few of my plans will only be tentative because I'm involved in a co-op that hasn't started discussing next year yet.

Here are some fairly certain subjects:

Bible: Awana and some non-fiction student books such as Case for Faith

History: BJU Ancients 6th

LA: CLE (omitting penmanship and spelling)

Spelling: R&S

Latin: First Form Latin

Cursive: BJU (still needs more practice on this)

Basketball in local church program

Math:continue BJU or begin Lial's series

Our co-op does writing, art, and science together. We haven't begun deciding if we will continue those subjects or not.

Writing and Literature class: I teach IEW writing now in addition to leading our larger homeschool group's middle book club. I'd love to put together my own writing and literature class following much of the models of TTC and IEW. I would incorporate poetry, short stories, and whole books. I would begin with writing full sentence answers, writing short essay answers, and end with essay response papers.

Science: This is where I'm torn. Apologia Elementary Chemistry and Physics was the choice this year. I had never used Apologia elementary books, and I don't really care for them. I would love to do BJU science online at home; but if they want to do science next year, that means doing 2 sciences again. It's not gone as well this year as I'd hoped, but family issues have been in the way a little with that. If they would offer Apologia General, I might have him take it. He could do some of the advanced courses if he starts the series early. I'm fairly sure he'll end up in a science field because it is his favorite subject, and he's a natural at math.

I am considering dropping spelling and only focusing on words he misses in any writing. He really doesn't seem to think about the rules he's learned when he is writing. I am going to cover the rule when he misspells a word, and see if that will make a difference. I might have him do some of the spelling activities in CLE.

I might go a different route with science. I just found out about the Classical Astronomy course, Signs and Seasons. I'm thinking about starting it this summer with both of my kids and turning it into a high school credit for dd. I would look at starting BJU 6 science after Christmas, and they might have the videos on sale around then, too.

If co-op does science, I guess we'll be doing 2 at a time.

I can not believe I will have a 6th grader next year. It is just can not be true. Here is what I am thinking for next year:

History: CC foundations memory work pairing it with SOTW

Science: Ellen McHenry Elements and Apologia Anatomy

Latin: Big Book 1 (finish)

Geography: Beautiful Feet and CC work

Lang. Arts: Beautiful Feet Horse unit

Grammar: Essentials 

Writing: IEW US History through Essentials

Math: MUS Zeta? or Saxon 76

• Like 2

I think I have Trinqueta's 6th grade year pretty much planned out:

We'll continue with Singapore Math, probably doing 6A and 6B quickly and starting Discovering Mathematics 7.

She'll enroll in Landry Academy's English 3 or 4. It depends on how far we are in MCT and the ages of the other participants.

She'll be doing Jenney's First Year Latin with the Landry Latin 1 class. She's done FFL 1 and wants to move a bit quicker so I think this will work out well.

I'm leaning toward Landry Academy's Spanish 2. I would rather find a secular class with a live teacher at a competitive price, but if not this is my fall back.

I'm leaning toward enrolling her in Rolling Acres' 1st year Great Books Intermediate class.

I'm planning on either having her do Athena's Online biology class or the Joy of Science TTC course with me.

She'll stay with her homeschool choir, theater program and orchestra for at least one more year, then we'll see if we need to pare it down. I think she'll stick with TKD and Tennis and ditch volleyball and track. She'll also be joining a council wide backpacking group when she moves up to Cadettes, but her troop commitment will be less until the rest of the Juniors move up too.

• Like 1

My DD will be in 6th next year. I still have a lot that I'm contemplating, but for now, I think this is what we'll go with:

Grammar: MCT Voyage and IEW Fix-It

Writing: IEW (Finish Medievel History Writing Lessons -- Just started it in January -- and then move to US History Writing Lessons)

Math: AoPS Pre-Algebra or Jousting Armadillos with MM6 (old version)  -- I really am having a hard time deciding on this one. Now that she's doing more challenging stuff, she's loving math so much more. I know she has the ability to do AoPs, I'm just not sure if the approach is what she'll like

History: History Revealed WWW along with SCM stuff and SOTW Audio CDs. We pull from everywhere for History, so I'm sure there will be more things that we use.

Science: Apologia's Human Anatomy (We'll be doing Astronomy over the summer)

Latin: Finish Latina Christiana 1 and then maybe move to First Form Latin -- I'm not sure of the progression for this.

Art: I'm not sure...We're doing Artelier lever 4 right now. It's okay, but for the money, I'd just assume try something cheaper...Maybe the Home Art Studio? I'm not sure yet...

Music: She takes Piano lessons, but I have also been looking at IEW's singing curriculum. I may get her that...I also want to look into our public school to see if they have a choir. I believe they are supposed to let homeschoolers join clubs and groups in the schools...

Literature: I just bought the Journeys to Bookland 10-volume set. I think I'll start her in volume 4 or so...DD is drawn to classics. She reads anything that's around, so I have no trouble getting her to read great books, and I'm not exactly thrilled with literature guides. They always sucked the fun out of reading for me as a kid, and I don't want to kill DD's love of reading right now either. Also, she reads a lot of literature for History as well, and we'll continue to do that.

Logic: Contemplating either Art of Argument or Fallacy Detective. I like them both...I'm thinking I should do one this year and then the other one next year...Maybe Fallacy Detective first? Or would doing both be overkill?

Spelling: We've been getting our spelling lists from the McGuffey Speller, and we'll continue to do so.

PE: Dance, Basketball, swim lessons, etc.

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, and I'm sure that this list will change drastically before the next year begins. We also do school over the summer, so some of this stuff we may start early...

• Like 1

Literature: I just bought the Journeys to Bookland 10-volume set. I think I'll start her in volume 4 or so...DD is drawn to classics. She reads anything that's around, so I have no trouble getting her to read great books, and I'm not exactly thrilled with literature guides. They always sucked the fun out of reading for me as a kid, and I don't want to kill DD's love of reading right now either. Also, she reads a lot of literature for History as well, and we'll continue to do that.

Journeys Through Bookland looks very good.  Which edition did you buy?  How much did it cost?  That may be a good option for us, too.

Journeys Through Bookland looks very good.  Which edition did you buy?  How much did it cost?  That may be a good option for us, too.

Here is a link to a set being sold on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Journeys-Bookland-Complete-Including-Literature/dp/B000VGJ2K2/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392983531&sr=1-2&keywords=journeys+through+bookland+set

The one I bought is from 1922. I'm not sure of differences between the publication dates. There's a thread on here discussing this set with links to the online version of the set.

Angie

Here is a link to a set being sold on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Journeys-Bookland-Complete-Including-Literature/dp/B000VGJ2K2/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392983531&sr=1-2&keywords=journeys+through+bookland+set

The one I bought is from 1922. I'm not sure of differences between the publication dates. There's a thread on here discussing this set with links to the online version of the set.

Angie

Thanks!

I'm so wishy washy! Now I'm thinking of not doing my co-op at all. Dd will be a senior and is probably going away to college. I think spending as much time together as possible is going to be a big priority next year. I may have to come back here with a totally different list by the time I decide! 

• Like 3

A couple things might change before next year, but this is what I'm currently planning:

Math: either AoPS algebra or Foersters algebra

Spelling: AAS 6-7

History: History Odyssey 2: Middle Ages

Science: Classiquest Geoscience and Astronomy, or maybe we'll just make up our own

Maine Studies (required once in middle school): I'm coming up with all kinds of cool ideas for this one, from historical field trips to gun safety with a Maine guide to lobstering to local politics--I can't wait! :)

Computer programming (not sure what kinds of projects he'll be working on by then)

Sports: depends on the season--hockey, swimming, biking (road and mountain, both competitively), XC running, track, XC ski racing, biathlon

• Like 2

I'll play, even though I am undecided on many things-

Math- TT 7/ Hands on Equations, plus LOF pre alg at the end of the year

History- SL Core? (buying IGs to look them over)..this year G was/is a hit but we may do H year after next

Science- Memoria Press/ Tiner series (well, maybe just one book) plus a science kit/ kits (which ones? not sure)- relaxed science w/ living books as well

Grammar- Grammar Key or?

Writing- SL, maybe some IEW (we purposely skip around in writing programs so as not to overwhelm him- this sounds better than saying we don't finish any, don't you think?)... my own assignments- but just a few

Spelling- Megawords...love this program-we started spelling in 4th, long after stopping phonics in 2nd grade, and he seems to be in no hurry to get through the workbooks

Lit- LCC?, Memoria Press-The Trojan War (we skipped it in SL this year), The Hobbit, Chronicles of Narnia, and Figuratively Speaking (we love FS- thanks, Lori D.!!)

Philosophy- study (various books we have) and or PA

Art- ? something we have here at home...his sisters have a lot of old curriculums lying around..he has been pretty resistant to art class so far..

Bible-reading for Lit, religious studies

Greek- Hey Andrew! 5  He is requesting Italian like his older sister..so we will use RS and/or Tell Me More

I would like for him to continue all the way through high school with Italian studies...with what, I don't know..lol

Latin- Latin Alive 1

Computer programming etc.-(various sources), Youth Digital (mod design (this year- or this summer), next year-who knows)

golf, swimming.. perhaps horseback riding and robotics..

RELIGION Faith & Life 6 + BC2

MATH Saxon 7/6

LANGUAGE ARTS  

Spelling      Spelling Workout G

Writing      IEW SWI-B

Reading/Literature      Assigned Reading by Mom/Progeny Press/IEW Ready Readers

Grammar      Gage Learning Language Power D

Vocabulary      Vocabulary from Classical Roots - Level 5 or 6

Handwriting      Getty-Dubay

HISTORY      SOTW #3

GEOGRAPHY      MCP workbooks (cheap & cheerful get ´er done)

SCIENCE      Mr Q - not sure which one yet; currently working on Earth Science

FRENCH      First Form French

LATIN      Latina Christiana

Math: Probably AOPS Pre-Algebra, I'm still slightly undecided and it depends on where we end this year. He might be ready for Algebra, but I'm not sure yet. 

Latin: Lively Latin II 

Piano lessons

Extracurriculars: Co-op, Swimming, other sports if he wants, Scouts. 

Everything else will be a reading year and I'm still pondering on the details of what that will mean. I feel like we need to change things up a bit for several reasons:

1) We like a lot of what we use but we've using it awhile and I think we may both be a little bored

2) I feel like I need to concentrate more on my to be 3rd grader and I'm hoping not having a lot of curriculum boxes to check for my oldest will help me do that...yes, I know you don't have to check the boxes but I'm the kind of person who wants to check them if they are there.

3) The biggest reason is that I've really been thinking about what I want middle school to be. I feel like he's had a really good grounding in history and science. We've gone through all of SOTW once, plus some extra US history and geography plus another year of Ancients. We've used a lot of different stuff for science. By no means does he know everything about anything but I feel like I want him more to work on certain skills rather than covering a certain amount of material. Reading, note-taking, remembering information from what he reads, writing about what he reads, speaking/discussing what he's read. Organization, self-motivation, time-management. I don't plan on giving up the content subjects but more to follow an interest-led path. I'll assign him some books, let him pick others and I plan on having him write/process about what he reads. I'm hoping that grammar, vocabulary and spelling will be covered through writing and Latin. 

I've heard over and over from people with high-schoolers that it only gets busier and schedules only get tighter. I feel like if he home schools for high school or goes to public school we really have three years left where it will be relatively easy to take field trips whenever we want or go on nature walks or have afternoons where we just read and play math games. So I want to take advantage of this time and go on a lot more field trips and have a bit more flexibility without feeling like a slave to a checklist or curriculum (again, that's my own issue). 

So, those are my slightly unorganized thoughts about sixth grade. The details are still to be figured out. 

• Like 9