Menu

How do you pronounce pink?

283 members have voted

1. 1. Pink?

• short i
    • long e
    • Other, because some of y'all just can't commit ;-)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the sound of in and ink are slightly different, i admit . . the cheeks come out a bit. but not as far as an ee. but sink is like sin is like in more than sink is like seen. Been, tho . . .seen is ee and been is short i.

definitely regional. hey, my mom still pronounces drawer like draw.

Logic of English, lesson 1 has pink using the "first sound of i" which is the short i, like igloo. Is this a real pronunciation for some people, or is it "spelling list" pronunciation? FWIW, we pronounce it with a long e sound, rhymes with sink or blink.

All three of those have a short 'i' sound to me.

Laura

I've lived all over the midwest (originally from IL) and can't recall ever hearing it with a short i. I say "peenk"

I am always fascinated how our language changes from each area! We recently moved to the upper midwest and there are so many different words for everything! I can't tell you how many times I ask for common items in the stores and they give me a blank look. :lol:

No, California born and raised. I have never, ever heard the "ink" words pronounced like that. Where are you from? (ETA: ok, just noticed under your avatar: VA, so nevermind :) )

i haven't either! I've lived in NY, NC, OH, IL, and visited most of the SW and California and I have never ever ever heard a short I pronunciation in pink!!!

Short i. Indiana. But I knew people who didn't seem to differentiate pin and pen, which struck me as odd -- everything was short i.

Spent the first 23 years of my life in southern Indiana. I still really have to think about "pen" and "pin" when I say them. Old habits die hard!

And to me, the short i in pink and the short i in pig do not sound the same, but neither does pink have the have the long e sound of, say, green. It's like ink is a phoneme all its own.

This is the first I heard that pink was supposed to be peenk,

drink dreenk,

think theenk,

and now I'm trying to theenk of a song that uses the word dreenk, but all I can come up with is:

bye, bye Miss American pie

and good ole boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye ...

but

I can't remember if they were saying dreenking or drinkin.

Lemme theenk about it some more.

That's interesting. Do you hear a long e or short i sound in those pronunciations? They both sound the same to me (long e). I wonder if our accent affects how we interpret certain sounds.

I hear short i in both. I think the difference in sound we here isn't the vowel sound it is how that vowel sound connects with the -nk because it is like there is an invisible g in there, so more of a -ing sound so p- ing-k still short i for sure but that implied g sound can make some hear or say it with a long e sound I think. particularily if not thinking about that g sound consciously.

I'm originally from Upstate NY, and I've only ever heard those words with a short i sound. It sounds slightly different from the short i in pin though. I've never heard it with a long e.

Lol I am from upstate NY too and I would have said it is a long e. but it doesn't sound like seen and it doesn't sound like pin, it sounds more like the sound in seen than in pin though. I thought "ink" makes its own sound, like ook and ool

There's audio of 'pink' on this page and on this.

Laura

I could only here the first one but that is how I would say it, it sounds closest to a long e to me. (Though not exactly a long e)

I hear short i in both. I think the difference in sound we here isn't the vowel sound it is how that vowel sound connects with the -nk because it is like there is an invisible g in there, so more of a -ing sound so p- ing-k still short i for sure but that implied g sound can make some hear or say it with a long e sound I think. particularily if not thinking about that g sound consciously.

I hear the "ing" in pink, though I've never really thought about it before. How do you pronounce sing? all "ing" words are "eeng" to me.

Possibly one of the coolest sites ever for language nerds: Forvo (link goes to 5 people saying "pink" incl. 2 US, 1 UK and 1 Aus) ALL of them sound long e to me. What do YOU hear? I'm really fascinated with the idea that our speech might affect how we interpret sound. I think I might be on to something :)

funny, they all sound like short i to me