Menu

I'm not a Do-It-All mom

And lately I've been feeling it more acutely. The comments have been more frequent, "aren't you signing [Johnny] up for soccer?...aren't you involved in a Co-Op?....aren't you taking them to the water park?"

No. I'm not. And yes, they would probably enjoy all of that. But we wouldn't eat together as a family (soccer), the babies would be miserable (co-op), and we can't afford to all go to the water park, not to mention we aren't thrilled with that as an entertainment choice. We live in Hawaii, for Pete's sake, we can go to the beach. They love the beach and we want to keep it simple.

The list goes on and on of things I don't sign my kids up for. I know they are growing up secure and unspoiled, but the constant pressure is just getting to me. My arms are tired from swimming up stream.

I know that I shouldn't let it bother me. It doesn't change my convictions about not wanting to get sucked into the rat race. I try so hard to keep our family un-hurried! I just feel like an island. No one I know in real life is trying to slow down. They are team-joiners, carpoolers, class takers, etc.

I want to be home. I want to be unfrazzled, because I know myself. To be a good, patient mom, I can't get stretched thin. When I do...it ain't pretty.

Oh bother. I've gone on and on. And I'm really just typing my thoughts without much filter, sorry.

Thanks for the forum to spill it.....

Jo

It's been researched and the older we get the less our filter works. :lol: Just teasing since I'm of the age I can.

Be flattered that they want your company but do the Nancy Reagan and just say No! You are doing lovely things with your family. We are supportive of the decisions you think are best for your family.

And lately I've been feeling it more acutely. The comments have been more frequent, "aren't you signing [Johnny] up for soccer?...aren't you involved in a Co-Op?....aren't you taking them to the water park?"

No. I'm not. And yes, they would probably enjoy all of that. But we wouldn't eat together as a family (soccer), the babies would be miserable (co-op), and we can't afford to all go to the water park, not to mention we aren't thrilled with that as an entertainment choice. We live in Hawaii, for Pete's sake, we can go to the beach. They love the beach and we want to keep it simple.

The list goes on and on of things I don't sign my kids up for. I know they are growing up secure and unspoiled, but the constant pressure is just getting to me. My arms are tired from swimming up stream.

I know that I shouldn't let it bother me. It doesn't change my convictions about not wanting to get sucked into the rat race. I try so hard to keep our family un-hurried! I just feel like an island. No one I know in real life is trying to slow down. They are team-joiners, carpoolers, class takers, etc.

I want to be home. I want to be unfrazzled, because I know myself. To be a good, patient mom, I can't get stretched thin. When I do...it ain't pretty.

Oh bother. I've gone on and on. And I'm really just typing my thoughts without much filter, sorry.

Jo

I am with you. One fall I put my two into a differnt thing each. Neither of them liked it and I felt like all I ever did was go. We have many reasons for not being in all those things but the main one is all three of us enjoy being at home and not rushing from place to place.

I also don't deal with the stress of it and I only have two. You are doing great! Don't cave to the pressures of even feeling guilty.

Wishing I could find the "pat on the back" smilie. . . . . . .

I can empathize. It wasn't until Little Miss got older that we started going out more. . . . and I'm not sure the trade-off is worth it. I admire you for knowing your limits.

:grouphug:

It's such a hard battle. I used to feel the pressure when my kids were little. They didn't do preschool or kindermusic or gymnastics. We read books and went to the library or grandma's house. I used to feel a bit jealous.

Now I'm just relieved when we have the time to be peaceful at home or when we have time in our schedule to hang out with my friend for 3 afternoons this week.

But I get that little niggling worry. What about art class? Did you go for a nature walk? Have you taken them swimming? What about a girls club? What about coop???? Maybe my kids are going to miss their calling in life because I made them stay at home instead of acting in the play at coop?:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Then I take a deep breath and look at how happy my girls are. They have a great relationship with each other (which could stand some improvements) they can read like anything, they are interested in helping around the house, they can visit grandma and not have to be entertained, they are content to pretend with their friends. They are a joy to be around (most days:tongue_smilie:) So I go back to being content too. Providing piano lessons is good enough. I don't have to reinforce every wish (like harp lessons) to be a good parent.

DD has one activity at a time, and a weekly enrichment program through the PS. That's it. Between that, and part-time babysitting, and somewhat less part-time working, and ferrying DH to and from work and jail, I feel like I'm on the go ALL THE TIME.

That said, DD complains if we stay home all day. Yet seems to enjoy herself once she's done complaining.

My motto keeps me out of trouble when we're tempted by yet another "great opportunity" for the kids:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

(Actually that's my motto for most things in life! And it's a durn sight better than my motto from my 20's - "Try anything once." But that's another story for another day, and not even related to the OP!)

Some people are over active. My mother in law keeps telling us that I need "little jobs" to keep me occupied and get me out of the house. As if a 3 month old, a 2 year old, and am lucky if I get a whole 7 hours of broken sleep each night. When I had serious fatigue with my first pregnancy, she told me I needed to get energised and nagged me to take up Scottish dancing. The moral to the story? There are some people in this life we really shouldn't pay attention to! Maybe I'll be over active when I'm retired and the kids have moved out. Something to look forward to...

:)

Rosie- who sees no reason to look for stress, because it will find me if it wants to.

Guest janainaz

I really love and appreciate what you said.

You're not alone. There are others who think this way also. In our society, it's not ok to just be content being who we are and living, enjoying our family. We are trained to find our identity in outside things. I want my kids to grow up feeling secure in just being and I want them to appreciate time, peace, and life for what it is. It's hard to do that when you never have time to stop and smell the roses. Everyone says, "go, go, go!" and they always want to know what you're involved in. Right now, we are not involved in anything, we are involved in each other, we are being a family. Why isn't that ok anymore? I don't think most people know how to just BE.

I have an acquaintance who works full-time, has three kids, and all her kids are in an activity, she's active at church and she looks so worn out and exhausted, she IS exhausted. They have no peace and NO family time. Even church activities are separated - kids here, parents there... All of these programs are created that actually promote separation instead of true family time. That angers me. Of all places, churches should be telling people to quit the programs, go home and just spend time together. It's crazy.

Another friend has kids in PS and she kind of brags about all her kids' activities - it's part of HER identity. I have moments of insecurity when I stop and worry that maybe my kids are missing something.

Truth tells me that it's all an illusion. I don't want to train my kids to always need outside stimulation and activities to feel whole. My goal is for them to enjoy healthy relationships, to go against the grain, and to know that it is ok to say no to the insanity this culture and generation have created. There is nothing wrong with being involved in "stuff", but you also have to learn to be ok just being.

You go girl. I know what it's like. I'm a mom to 12. And when I am running the children are falling apart. And I certainly don't need that.:auto: IMOP you are making the right choices for your family. I don't think you would have come to heads with it if you weren't. Go with your gut feeling and do what's right for you.

Can I join your club?!

I am like that too. We are involved in a local conference this week, and while it's GREAT, I am sick already (after two days) of being on the go, go, go!

To me a perfect day is when we get to stay HOME and the van is in the garage.

:iagree: I am SO glad you posted this and started this thread! Sometimes I, too, feel the need to have the kids do THIS or THAT and the teacher SAID my dd should be dancing twice a week so how am I going to afford that??

I know, I KNOW, the Lord has been gently nudging me this past year to SLOW DOWN and lead a simpler life. Today I seriously contemplated scaling back to virtually NO extracurricluar activity for the next school year. Both dc will be in public school. Since 5th grade here evidently focuses on American History I though, we can live like Pioneers! Well, to an extent; I'm not about to give up electricity or indoor plumbing! BUT, we can learn to enjoy our home and entertain ourselves without joining this club or that one. Does that make sense?

I completely understand your conundrum. The additional challenge here is that I live in a BIG city with SO many opportunities. In the end, though, think about how much more RELAXED your children will be, today and in the future, because Mom made the very WISE decision, early on, to lead a simpler life!

Hope that helps (and didn't put you to sleep)! :grouphug:

I do what I shouldn't--I compare. My dear sister in law, now a widow, has always kept her kids extremely busy. I just don't understand being exhausted all the time because of outside activity. She works as an CPA, so she's always tired, anyway.

I guess one good thing about activities is that you do grow up having cultivated a hobby, but I don't know if it's really life-long skills and interests that are being stressed--So her kids know how to bowl. So what? We never had the funds to do much outside stuff, and so our kids don't have hobbies, except reading, watching movies (one is going in to film), playing on the computer and skateboarding. Isn't that ok?

I think you are doing the right thing for you and for your family. The "hurry up culture" bugs me, too.

You're not alone, Jo! I'm A-Do-The-Bare-Minimum mom, myself. We go to the most relaxed co-op on the planet and... um... the library. That's about it.

We'll have the last laugh when all those Do-It-All moms are drooling into their porridge and we still have our wits about us. :D

I only have 4 and I totally agree with you. When we get going too much, I get more frazzled and less patient and the kids notice. We've scaled back drastically this year and I've noticed less fighting, more imagination play, and more laughter around here.

Jo

Here's another "real life" mom just like you. Trust me. You're not alone on your island. :) :grouphug:

There is value in living a quiet life and I think more people would raise kids who saw value in being quiet more than on the go. I struggle with those thoughts of "am I doing enough?" sometimes, but it's getting fewer and farer between. I agree with one of the posters that said our kids get used to being on the go and having outside experiences to entertain them and identify them instead of their family being their main joy and activity. I think our culture has lost that and it's now considered "strange" to not "do". I think going against the current is wise in many ways. Our children will thank us one day, I know it, and we'll be enjoying our adult children instead of being last on their list of visits. That's my prayer anyway.

I've learned saying no is a noble thing and I say it proudly and often!

Ann

:iagree:

Here is a :grouphug: and I am with you, the simple things do matter. Towing a large family around for the waterpark is quite silly given you have the beach....in Hawaii! I would be drooling at that prospect myself.

I am so burned out and I have just two. I have sliced and chopped off all extra activities, and it is not because I'm afraid of the swine flu, I'm exhausted! I'm exhausted because I didn't say no to people and joined certain activities. Those activities have concluded and I"m not going to do that next year. :glare:

Be glad you have your priorities right...you are a good mom!

BTDT. :) So spill it sister, we are your shoulder.

There are many women of my acquaintance who are constantly running from here to there to provide enrichment, educational or social activities for their kids.

Bless their hearts and more power to them but I am in no way capable or inclined to join the games.

I am very much a homebody and I know my limits. Good for you for knowing yours Jo.

There are, certainly, times when I wish we could do some of these things but money issues almost always prevent us from doing them. And sometimes I do let my thoughts run away a bit and wonder if I am a bad mom for not finding a way for that extra activity.

In fact, just yesterday, following a conversation with a friend, I found myself wondering if I shouldn't contact the local school and see if my dd might join in on some of the extracurricular activities. I have always been in the camp that is of the mind set, "give them an inch (the ps) and they will take a mile. I strongly feel that it is something I have to give up when I made the choice to hs.

An older article I read helped me to remember what I don't find it an option.

But I digress a tad. You are doing fine. You have it right for your family and it is working for you. For us and I think you too, "doing it all" means many other things would suffer. I think settling for doing what you do WELL , is more than good enough.

I tried to embed something for you and it won't let me, I hope you have a minute to click on this. :D

I'm right there with you. We do outside art and music during the day, and that is it. I know families where each child is in about a half dozen activities, and I don't even want to be there. When mom and dad are suffering and missing their own obligations so that the dc can be in more stuff, I don't think the message to the kiddos is correct.

We have had busy seasons and slow seasons. I do more outside the home than some women I know, but less than others. Mine is more in service things than kids' activities, though. I only think how busy you are is loosely tied to the home falling apart. I know people with NO outside activities at all whose dc act bratty and starved for attention, and I know families with darling dc where the family is very active (mostly together, though.)

You know, I just had a conversation where I was informed that my dd would never be competitive at gymnastics because we didn't start her when she was 4. I'm sure I looked like an idiot standing there going, "Competitive? Like the Olympics? Why would I want that anyway?" I seriously watch my friends doing 2 or 3 activities PLUS ps with each of their kids and feel like a slug in comparison. Then I stop to think about their goals. Do they seriously believe their kids are going to be on the world stage because they started soccer at the age of 2? Will they really be able to get scholarships because they have been playing basketball since they could walk? In all reality, that is very unlikely for a majority of kids. My aunt has spent her kids entire life trying to get them the "in" in their sports so their school would be paid for somehow. Now, neither of her girls want to continue their chosen sport in college. They are burned out and she's devastated they they spend all of this time and money and have nothing tangible to show for it. And their relationship stinks in the process.

I think it is so easy to see the ballet, soccer, volleyball, t-ball, gymnastics, etc. mom and to think I am lacking something - but my kids don't think they are. They play basketball at the park. They kick the ball around with friends. We dance like crazy to whatever music comes on. They don't think they're missing out, so I think I'll just enjoy it!

I think being an easy going mom is wonderful.

I don't do co-op, I ask if he wanted to play sports...nope. I'm really easy going and love our family dinners which are long each night and just hanging out with my family or going for walks. I don't enjoy living on someone elses schedule. :) When Dad deploys at the end of the month we have decided to take up some music lessons for the summer and see how that goes.

I'll hang out with you. We don't either and I'm proud that I'm not one of those moms who are gasping for air every time they drop their kid off somewhere to run their other kid somewhere else! Kudos!

1. Why do people try to make parents feel like they have to keep up with "The Joneses?" - especially other HS families!!!

2. Why would anyone need a water park in Hawaii?

=)

Sounds like you have found your balance for you and your family. That is what is important, not what others think. Keep on doing what works for you and your child - that is what home schooling is all about!

Today I almost didn't want to look at the calendar....I finally did....we have a free day. This week was a play...and the dentist and then other "catch ups". I try to do all of my activities before my husband comes home...and the things that he ok'd for after...like my step-daughter doing her drama on Wednesday nights, t-ball on two nights...and Awana's keeps us not at home for these months.

BUT, as a child who was homeschooled.... I can say...at a certain point, children do want to do some things. My idea of something to do ...is ballet during the day 2x a week (2 miles from our house) and our "coop" for once a week....24 times a year. That's all I willingly do..... and then there's that whole husband thing...who says yes to other things...

Carrie

Sometimes kids will have to wait until they grow up and have their own money to pay for extras. Call me an evil mother, but there's no way known my kidlet is ever going to do calisthenics. My life is not long enough to spend that much time sewing sequins!

Rosie

DD has one activity at a time, and a weekly enrichment program through the PS. That's it. Between that, and part-time babysitting, and somewhat less part-time working, and ferrying DH to and from work and jail, I feel like I'm on the go ALL THE TIME.

That said, DD complains if we stay home all day. Yet seems to enjoy herself once she's done complaining.

My two are just the opposit. If we happen to have a couple of days where we have to go somewhere, even if they have been fun days they will ask,"Mom, is today a stay at home day?" When answered yes their responce is always, "Yay."

I agree with a previous poster. My kids are happy, each others best friends and pleasant to be around, most of the time. The stress of going all the time changes that in both them and me.:tongue_smilie:

Jo

You're welcome.

And thank you for sharing them.

I am going to have my boyfriend read this because the way that you describe feeling like an island - I get it. That was me a few years ago in nursing school when I was literally 5 minutes away from the beach *if the bridge was up!* and I miss it. The beach is so healing for all ages. I ache to hold my baby on the sand and let his feet get wet. To feel the sun and the wind and taste the salt.....oh......

I miss Florida.

Jo, you just need to learn to reply with a question.

"Oh my goodness no, do you know how important is is in our family to have everyone sitting around the dinner table? They would just hate it if I broke our family tradition."

"Oh goodness no, no water parks for us, didn't you know that smell is the urine mixing with the chlorine?" (Alternate ending: Didn't you know there is a beach just 3 minutes away in every direction....and it's free).

Oh...and the part about you being unfrazzled, I get that too.

Only I *am* frazzled right now. I don't have my beach.

Your post gives me things to think about and share with my boyfriend.

Jo,

What you are giving your children is priceless. Really. Try hard to ignore the comments. You are giving your kids family. A sense of belonging. Love. Joy. Peace. A happy mom (priceless....que the Visa music!).

As you know, we never did team sports, either. We did karate (5 kids at once, once a week...that I could handle, lol) because that was the only thing that fit with our lifestyle. We did this for years, and it worked for us.

Would it horrify you to know that three of my sons now play soccer? LOL...it shouldn't, and it won't! You see, the township finally paved a path to the community park 1/2 mile away, and the park begins where my neighborhood ends. And my kids are old enough that they can walk to soccer safely (I still make the 12 and 13-yr olds walk together, and I don't care if that is paranoid), and I can stay home. Dh and I show up for the games on Sat, and we walk there. And we walk around the park for exercise - in short, my dear, we waited until the time and circumstances were right for us to do something different with the kids. Until it meshed with our family. Until it was right for us. You are doing the same - protecting your family time. It's precious, Jo. You can't compromise. You are doing great!

If I had my choice, though, I'd take a family walk on the beach in Hawaii. I'm sure all my kiddos would agree.

Love you, sweetie!

Ria

Sometimes kids will have to wait until they grow up and have their own money to pay for extras. Call me an evil mother, but there's no way known my kidlet is ever going to do calisthenics. My life is not long enough to spend that much time sewing sequins!

Rosie

I am right there with you on that! Our minions get to do extra stuff here and there, but it all has to balance out with the whole family schedule. If they want to do more, they have to help figure out how to pay for it and transportation if there is a conflict.

Also - keeping their own schedule. We are going through an issue with our 13 year old - she constantly forgets to practice her trumphet, and even forgot about an audition yesterday afternoon for the High School band that had been rescheduled for her because she forgot about all the other dates. :confused:

I had to make her go back to school and get her trumpet, and we barely made it. She is always missing dates, etc. I finally told her that if she cannot get it together her freshman year she is DONE with extracurricular activities. Life is too short for me to be laying out cash and constantly having to rearrange everyone's schedule because she refuses to use the planner I gave her.

My two are just the opposit. If we happen to have a couple of days where we have to go somewhere, even if they have been fun days they will ask,"Mom, is today a stay at home day?" When answered yes their responce is always, "Yay."

I agree with a previous poster. My kids are happy, each others best friends and pleasant to be around, most of the time. The stress of going all the time changes that in both them and me.:tongue_smilie:

I think part of our problem is that DD is an only. When we're home all day, she has no playmate except me, and my desire to play on her level is limited. When I was her age I lived on a farm and had a bunch of kids to play with--the manager's kids (my dad was the farm's mechanic), my younger sisters (though they were only toddlers), and foster sibs. Yet I loved playing alone.

I actually get more time to myself when I'm babysitting than I do when it's just DD and I.

Just when I was treading water, you guys threw me a line.

I truly feel encouraged. The pressures are surely not going away- I live in a very social neighborhood- but I feel I have gotten my courage back.

A good evening of solitude, these posts, great discussions with my dh, and some journaling has helped me get back on track.

I still want to go live on a farm with a long, long road to the house, but since that isn't going to happen anytime soon, I will stay true to the calling we feel led to in our family.

Thanks again ya'll.

Jo

We limit what we get involved in also. My dd is an only child, and I still feel that our lives are pretty well balances. We do 4H once every two weeks and an occasional homeschool group activity. That's it. No co-op, no dance lessons or sports.

I believe that dd and I being home together allows us to be closer as a mom and dd and lays a good foundation for our future relationship. She bonds with me and we do fun things together like bike riding and going for walks. We also enjoy taking care of our chickens and working in the garden.

So, we are mostly homebodies, but we do enjoy getting out for an activity from time to time.

It's all about balance.

Isn't it strange that the peer pressure among parents is sometimes even more overt than it is among the kids? That blank look that you get when you say, "We aren't going to be doing (fill-in-the-blank) this year", especially if the fill-in-the-blank is sports- or church-related! And then I always feel like I need to add extra explanation, and end up being all self-deprecating and rambling and "Oh, of course, it's a *great* program. I'm so glad your kids are enjoying it, but well...um...we're not going to be there..."

Ugh.

Just when I was treading water, you guys threw me a line.

I truly feel encouraged. The pressures are surely not going away- I live in a very social neighborhood- but I feel I have gotten my courage back.

A good evening of solitude, these posts, great discussions with my dh, and some journaling has helped me get back on track.

I still want to go live on a farm with a long, long road to the house, but since that isn't going to happen anytime soon, I will stay true to the calling we feel led to in our family.

Thanks again ya'll.

Jo

For families who have their kids in school, are some of these activities the family down time? Maybe for some the time on the sports field, even coaching their kids' teams is an outlet.

It can also fluster when it seems that everyone is telling you about some great opportunity (homeschool debate team, writing class, support group, First Lego League etc) It is easy to perceive that there is a laundry list of things and that everyone else is doing the whole list (rather than also picking and choosing).

Let folks tell you about their new activity and encourage them in it, but don't feel like you have to pick the same list of stuff to do. You have my permission to do what you feel comfortable extending yourself to do.

Now about those merit badges for my mom sash. I would like the home repair badge please for the coat hook racks I just hung (with extra credit for using the masonry bit on the drill).

2. Why would anyone need a water park in Hawaii?

I loved snorkeling and surfing, but the water park was a nice place that my littlest one (who was not a swimmer when we left) could frolic a lot too, without worrying about jellyfish, tides or big waves.

We had an annual pass for one year and it was great down time, especially on the weekends when our snorkling spots were invaded by box jellies.

I have tears in my eyes. Thank you!! This has been such an encouargement! I like to stay home, we actually get things done. We do things that work for us all. Soccer is much like Ria described, our co-op meets 2x a month for enrichment, the piano teacher comes here. I'm glad I'm not the only one, it is lonely sometimes.

I hear ya! We much prefer to stay at home baking bread, playing in the yard, and loving on our baby goats. I love the simple life!

When we moved out to the country 12.5 years ago, a simple lifestyle was exactly what I wanted. I did NOT want to be running all the time, as when I do I am NOT a good mother.

I think my kids crave the same. It was the way they were raised. My oldest 17, all the way down to my youngest, 6, LOVE to spend time at home. They get plenty of time with friends, but they definitely need their amount of time at home living peacefully and enjoying family.

Denise