Menu

Baby Name Poll

What do you think of the name Peter?  

1. 1. What do you think of the name Peter?

• I like the name Peter and think teasing won't be a problem.
    • I like the name Peter, but wouldn't use it because of teasing.
    • I don't like the name Peter, but not because of teasing.
    • I don't like the name Peter, AND I think teasing will be a problem.
    • Obligatory other, please explain.

I voted to use it and do not worry about teasing. I mean, I named one son John....and no one has ever mentioned that he is a toilet or pimp....and my dad is a Dick.....;-0

Hubby got more teasing from being "Francis" growing up than anyone else I know (in college he was able to train folks to call him Frank!)

My father is named Peter (as was my grandfather) and one my brother's has Peter as a middle name. I also have a cousin Peter. It has never been a problem for them. My brother was called Peter, Peter pumpkin eater a few times though. And really any name can be used for teasing.

If you are worried about it, he could go by Pete in school. My father was called PJ (middle name starts with a J) among family, while his father was alive.

Seriously, whatever name you give has the potential for teasing. I would *consider* it (for example, if my surname were little there's NO WAY I'd name a kid Dick), but choose the name I liked anyway.

Edward -> Deadward, Wayne -> Pain, Nate -> Acquired the title of "Master", etc.

1st, if you homeschool, teasing problem in the younger grades...and by the time they're in highschool...hopefully they're too kind to tease. BUT, I wouldn't name him Peter, if I were you, because you've already linked it to the teasing...and you'll always think someone is going to tease him.

I want to get to vote on the next names, though. We have an Isaiah in our group...and Elijah... There are some great names out there that won't give you the problems you're anticipating.

Carrie:-)

I don't personally care for the name Peter, but it's for some ridiculous personal reason - it reminds me of someone I don't want to be reminded of. If the name is important to your family, I would certainly use it and not worry about the teasing.

Janet

I want to get to vote on the next names, though. We have an Isaiah in our group...and Elijah... There are some great names out there that won't give you the problems you're anticipating.

Carrie:-)

The thing is, most good names are TAKEN because we have a huge and close knit peer group (not to mention family- we have a Blaine, a David, a Jeremiah, many Josephs and Benjamins). Isaiah and Elijah are both TAKEN.

Dh thinks names like Wesley and Martin are wimpy.

I like Peter better than Charles, which is what dh was wanting before. We both like Robert, but it is SIL's recently deceased father's name so we want to honor her right to use it one day.

Dh doesn't want a name that starts with A for no earthly reason I understand. I don't want a name that starts with J because dh, ds and I all start with J, but younger ds doesn't, so that would be awkward in my weird brain to have 4 Js and something else.

I've spent hours on baby name websites, but I'm having difficulty motivating dh to give the topic any time and energy, besides to dismiss all my suggestions. And to suggest off the wall things like Ebenezer, Charles Xavier, or Angelina before we knew the gender.

My dh and ds love the name Peter. I sort of like it, but worry that it might cause teasing. (I have a brother with that middle name and he had some teasing about it meaning the male private part).

I'd love the Hive's input!

Teasing and the name Peter is relative to where you are. We are near a large (LARGE) Mennonite community. Peter is a VERY common name. No one in that community would think to tease you for it.

There are many very common last names, too -- Penner, Friesen, Dyck.

And there are a LOT of men named Peter Dyck. A quick check of their phone book has over 30 Peter Dycks listed.

No one in the community would tease Peter Dyck for being Peter Dyck. Although, those of us living outside the community wonder what in the world a person thinks when they name their kid that.

Dyck, by the way, is pronounced to rhyme with stick.

ETA: Just saw your post about the name Charles. I wanted to name ds that, because I always thought a little boy named Charlie couldn't be anything but a sweetheart, and Charles is such a good man's name (think Charles Ingalls).

Edited by Audrey

I voted that I don't particularly like the name Peter, but not because of teasing. Among homeschoolers he'll more likely be compared to Peter the High King of Narnia anyway, right? :001_smile:

Some friends of ours are having a boy this spring and have picked the name Titus. It's a Biblical name I haven't heard much, and I like the sound of it. When my son heard about it his question was "Why would they name a baby after a DOG??" (He's fond of the book "Titus Rules" by Dick King-Smith...it's about the Queen's corgis and one is named Titus.)

I think kids will find a reason to tease about almost any name. My maiden name was Beatty (pronounced Baity)...my brother's friends loved to call him Master Beatty. Yep.:glare:

ETA: Just saw your post about the name Charles. I wanted to name ds that, because I always thought a little boy named Charlie couldn't be anything but a sweetheart, and Charles is such a good man's name (think Charles Ingalls).

I actually like the name Charles, and the nickname Charlie, but it doesn't "match" with our last name according to my weird brain. Too many C's and L's and S's.

It's interesting to me that you bring this up! Before we knew the sex of our last baby (who turned out to be a girl named Faith), when we were discussing names, I said I liked Peter, but my dh had the same reaction--no way, he'll get teased. I had never even heard that name ever mentioned as anything remotely bad or crude, so I was wondering if it was a regional thing (my dh grew up near Pittsburgh), and I almost came on here to ask who had bad associations with the name Peter! But alas, I was too lazy, and then we found out it was a girl . . . I love the association with Peter, High King of Narnia, and I also felt like in a large, supportive, mainly Christian homeschool group, which includes not one but 2 Boazes, the potential for that particular kind of teasing would probably not happen! All that to say--I would use it, and if we do have another boy, that name will be back on the table for us!

My son's name is Peter. We picked it because of Peter in the bible. His middle name is a family name, Anderson (my grandma's maiden name), and I think it goes well together.

I never told him that his name was slang for a body part. It wasn't until Jr hi that it was ever used in a teasing way--Now, P-P Pumpkin Eater was a brief nickname in elementary.

My dh is named Peter (and his family calls him P because he has two uncles who go by Pete) as is my ds and teasing has never been an issue for either one.

If someone is going to tease they will find something. My dd, who is brilliant, has experienced the most teasing because of her blonde hair.

Seriously, whatever name you give has the potential for teasing.

That was my thinking too. I voted that I like it and don't think teasing will be a problem. (Because if kids want to tease, they'll find anything anyway, I wouldn't let it get in the way of a name I liked). I do like classic names and think Peter is a nice one.

I'm not a huge fan of the name Peter, but then again I like names that aren't real common. My kids are Everett, Annika and Lucas, although Lucas is more common than the others. I think part of it may be my last name is Pederson pronounced with the first e being the long sound not short like most think, so Peter would have been an odd choice for a first name here. I have heard many a Peter get teased for just the reason you named.

Sorry I'm sure I'm not much help :001_huh:

I don't think teasing will be a problem. I have a family friend named Peter, and while he is a couple of years younger than I am, I don't remember this ever being an issue. Honestly, kids have plenty to choose from when it comes to teasing. I don't hear Peter used "inappropriately" anymore - I think it might be dying out?

I like Peter very much as a name. It's not on my list of "If I had another son I would use it" names, but it's a good, strong, name. I say go for it!

I couldn't vote (w/out choosing other, lol) because I *love* the name Peter. I had no idea that it could result in teasing until dh nixed it for a middle name for ds8. I wonder if that would still be true?

Personally, I think I'd go for it anyway. I may be naive, though, so take that w/ a grain of salt.

GL choosing!

Oh my goodness, I agree! When I was little, I always played that my husband was named Charles, after LHoP.

My husband's name is Landon. His grmother chose it for Michael Landon. :D

I love the name Peter and would use it for a child. It has a nice meaning and a great history.

I named my dog Peter bec. I didn't have a baby boy to bestow it upon at the time. I really like it and like the nn Pete, too.

I agree that teasing could be a problem with any name for any kid. Kids will always come up with something no matter what the name.

Peter is a strong classic, timeless name. In college, we had several professors named Peter. It just seems to be an intelligent guy's name:001_smile:

So, as you can see, I'm a fan and say Go for it!

Congrats!

I put other because I don't like having duplicate names if I can avoid it. I would not give my children a name that was any of my sisters or brother's first or middle name. I don't mind so much with grandparents, greats or family names - but definately not my siblings.

BTW - no problems at all with the name Peter.

It could be worse - my husband wanted to name our son Conrad Duke (he wasn't serious), but he liked my suggestions just fine - my top two were James Steven and Joshua Timothy - since we only have one son, we combined them for James Timothy.

Edited by dcjlkplus3
add

except for the fact that I would never inflict the initials P.P. on anyone.

My mom and I were considering names for my dd. Her last name sounded like it started with K (it didn't). We considered Kimberly Kay. We just were very concerned that it would sound like her initials were KKK.

Now I'm always careful about initials each way, nicknames, etc. However, I don't worry about teasing as there just isn't a way around it if kids are determined to do it. My father was teased mercilessly about his last name as a child but we children didn't have any issue AT ALL with it. There just isn't a way to tell which kids will be picked on and about what. I'd stay away from PP or KKK but not worry at all about Peter :)

I have no feelings about the name either way, and it shouldn't matter to you if I did.

Kids (and adults) will do amazing things with any name, if they're so inclined. And, frankly, you can't anticipate what figures will be associated with any given name in the future. My vote is to name your child as you are inspired, and not worry about all the possibilities.

I don't find the name Peter to be pleasant sounding, and I also think that any name that starts with "pee" and is slang for a p*nis is probably not the best choice. Also, whenever I hear the name Peter I always think of "pork chopsh and ... appleshaushe."

Tara