Menu

That's a funny thread title, huh?? Anyway, we live in a little town called Maggie Valley, NC. We are outside city limits on a gravel road with a total of 6 houses. When we have a package to be delivered that will not fit in our mailbox, the mailman will pull into my driveway and blow his horn until I come out there. It makes me nuts!!! Is this normal? What does your postman do in this case? It seems like the person who previously delivered our mail put it in a bag and hung it on the mailbox (if the weather was nice). That's better than me having to put on a coat over my pj's and flip flops to go out and get the mail. :willy_nilly:

Well... if our gate is open, the mail carrier will drive in, honk once, wait 5 seconds (so it seems... barely time for me to hear and slip my shoes on), then leave and later complain that the dogs were biting the tires.The dogs, btw, are not even ours but our parents', who live next door. So when I'm expecting a package, I close the gate, figuring she can leave it outside the gate. But nooo... then she leaves it at the closed gate NEXT DOOR (parents' house), because our "gate was closed."

So if "normal" means "annoying, inconvenient, and downright weird", then yes, yours is normal. :)

I'm not sure that it's normal, but I'm not surprised. When we first moved into this house, we had a wonderful postman who would bring packages up to the door (along with any other mail), and ring the doorbell. He got transferred to another route and we ended up with a guy who would spend 5 minutes rubberbanding the package to the mailbox, instead of getting out of his truck and coming to the door (or if he could shove the package in the box, he would - there was more than one package I almost could not get back out of the mailbox it was in so tightly!). I even taped a very nice note inside the box asking him to please bring any packages too large for the box to the front porch (I didn't care if he rang the bell or not).

I filed a complaint finally about the issue. It went up the chain of command and I ended up getting a not so friendly call from the local Post Office saying that their postal workers didn't have time to hand deliver and ring the bell for each package. . .I told him that it would take less time than it took to rubberband the package to the box (which also left it out in the elements). But things did improve after that (except for the occasional package *shoved* into the box).

I think we have a new person now (at least I'm hoping so!)

Well, I live on a dirt road and whenever we receive a package too big for our box our mail carrier leaves a notice in my box (they are not allowed to drive on dirt roads in my neck of the woods - they'll get written up if, perchance, they should get a flat while trying). I think they used to leave the packages hanging out on the mailbox but then some were getting stolen. I then have to find a day to drive 15 miles to our local post office, stand in line for about 1/2 hour (it is always very, very busy), and hand the clerk the pick-up slip. I find that to be very annoying!!!! I would much rather my carrier pull in my driveway and honk than me have to make a special point of going to my post office and have to wait in line to get my mail. I guess it just all depends on your perspective. I agree about the honking being annoying, but, man, I'd take that any day!

We live in a rural area also. Our postal carrier used to hang boxes from our mailbox. Then we had another carrier that would put the box in our car in the driveway :001_huh: (we always thought that was pretty weird and it made us self-conscious of how messy our cars were). Now our new carrier brings it to our doorstep. That is our favorite method. We are lucky, my mom's carrier never delivers her packages, only puts a notice in her mailbox and she has to collect it at the post office.

Interesting...

I do work nights, but Saturday nights, so I am sleeping on Sunday afternoons. It makes me crazy that he does this. And yes, he has done it multiple times. And I don't see how it's saving any time because he has to wait for me to get my coat and shoes, and he could've already been on the porch and dropped it off in that time. I think when I go down to the post office tomorrow to mail some things, I will speak to the postmaster. I am just interested in their policy on this. Thanks for the replies!

Well, I live on a dirt road and whenever we receive a package too big for our box our mail carrier leaves a notice in my box (they are not allowed to drive on dirt roads in my neck of the woods - they'll get written up if, perchance, they should get a flat while trying). I think they used to leave the packages hanging out on the mailbox but then some were getting stolen. I then have to find a day to drive 15 miles to our local post office, stand in line for about 1/2 hour (it is always very, very busy), and hand the clerk the pick-up slip. I find that to be very annoying!!!! I would much rather my carrier pull in my driveway and honk than me have to make a special point of going to my post office and have to wait in line to get my mail. I guess it just all depends on your perspective. I agree about the honking being annoying, but, man, I'd take that any day!

Do you live in Westmoreland?!? That's exactly what our po person does. You'd think the gravel on our road would cause their car to implode the way they avoid it. I only recently found out that they were supposed to drive to the door anyway. I had gone to the PO, because I was EXPECTING a package. They asked me where the notice was and I said, oh, she doesn't even bother to bring the packages with her. They hemmed and hawwed, once they finally looked, low and behold, my parcel! Now, my magazines are being bent in the wrong direction (again) and if it looks like rain, my box is left open (again). The last parcel was left on the front steps (we have a porch, but I guess she didn't care to throw the parcel upwards). I have the complaints line on speed dial :(

We're in the city. They knock and leave it at the door, under the mat. This cracks me up, because they will literally lift up my door mat and place the box underneath ? hUh? I guess it disguises it a little, but it still cracks me up!

Do you have dogs? I'm thinking that if you have dogs, they don't want to chance being on your property. I know that with our gate (half way gate, it's only maybe 3 ft high) closed, the postman won't come onto the property. Course, our gate broke, so now they come up.... We have community mail boxes....so usually they fit in the big box they have for large packages...but when not, they leave them on the porch.

Of course, maybe they're having a problem with stolen packages....and they want to make sure you get them.

Carrie:-)

Let me just start by saying we love our mailman. Mr Mark the Mailman (that's what we call him) will toot the horn and if I'm able, I go out. He just gives the one toot and then gets out and puts the package on the front stoop. Usually I'm watching like a hawk though, so he doesn't even have to stop the car before I'm out the door to get my precious, precious mail.

The sub MailLady is afraid of the dogs, so she'll wait in the car for me to come out if they're around. But she is very sweet, too, and leaves the packages on the stoop if we're not home.

Yep, ours honks if there is a car in the driveway. Otherwise, he leaves it on the porch. It's never bothered me. But then, we live rather rural and everyone honks as they arrive. I think it is considered more polite than just appearing at the door. Especially since the kids are outside quite often. I don't like to be surprised by someone looking in the window of the door or down talking to the kids without me knowing. (My kids do know to come get me anytime a car comes down the driveway.) My neighbor to the left only has property (no house) and he calls everytime he is coming to his property! He feels it is an invasion of my privacy for him to simply arrive and walk his property. People here are very private and careful to respect that of others.

We vote for Angelo, our lovely mail carrier.

We used to have our mail slot in the front screen door (old house) -- no mailbox -- so he would come up the porch steps and drop the mail through the slot. Trouble was, he was SMOKING the whole time, talking on his cell phone, and BLOWING SMOKE through the screen door (intentionally).

My husband was home one day and just about flipped out when he saw this. He politely asked Angelo to please not smoke on our property, nor blow smoke through our screen door. In response, Angelo flicked his (lit) cigarette into our bushes (in dry August). Nice.

He continued to blow smoke through the screen door. All our mail smelled like cigarette smoke. At the time, I had a toddler and was pregnant with the twins, so my husband filed a complaint with the USPS against Angelo. As far as we know, no one did anything about it. [My husband informs me that we actually filed two complaints, one a few months after the original complaint. No response, no change of behavior.]

SO.... I dug a post hole and put in a mailbox on the street. We see less of Angelo, and that's fine with us. Our mail still stinks, but most of it's junk mail, anyway. It goes right in the garbage can. :tongue_smilie:

We vote for Angelo, our lovely mail carrier.

We used to have our mail slot in the front screen door (old house) -- no mailbox -- so he would come up the porch steps and drop the mail through the slot. Trouble was, he was SMOKING the whole time, talking on his cell phone, and BLOWING SMOKE through the screen door (intentionally).

My husband was home one day and just about flipped out when he saw this. He politely asked Angelo to please not smoke on our property, nor blow smoke through our screen door. In response, Angelo flicked his (lit) cigarette into our bushes (in dry August). Nice.

He continued to blow smoke through the screen door. All our mail smelled like cigarette smoke. At the time, I had a toddler and was pregnant with the twins, so my husband filed a complaint with the USPS against Angelo. As far as we know, no one did anything about it. [My husband informs me that we actually filed two complaints, one a few months after the original complaint. No response, no change of behavior.]

SO.... I dug a post hole and put in a mailbox on the street. We see less of Angelo, and that's fine with us. Our mail still stinks, but most of it's junk mail, anyway. It goes right in the garbage can. :tongue_smilie:

Okay, Angelo's got my vote. Yech.

Just thought I'd chime in because my mom has been a mail carrier for just short of 30 years. Yes this is normal operating procedure. Considering you said it's basically a dirt road with 6 houses that would be a rural route and they are not required to bring the package up a dirt road or gravel driveway. They do have to make an attempt at delivery thus the honking. For the person that said their mom's carrier only leaves a notice she should report this. I used to live in an apartment complex and our carrier would do this and that's not SOP, so I reported it and she changed her tune real quick when faced with diciplinary action for not doing things as she should. I know the honking can be annoying, I used to live in a place with rural delivery where that was the norm, but that's the way the PO operates.

Do you have dogs? I'm thinking that if you have dogs, they don't want to chance being on your property. I know that with our gate (half way gate, it's only maybe 3 ft high) closed, the postman won't come onto the property. Course, our gate broke, so now they come up.... We have community mail boxes....so usually they fit in the big box they have for large packages...but when not, they leave them on the porch.

Of course, maybe they're having a problem with stolen packages....and they want to make sure you get them.

Carrie:-)

We have one dog, but she is either in the house or in the fenced in part of our yard that he doesn't have to enter to get to the door.

Yes, if we're not home, he leaves it on the porch. If we don't come out when he honks, he just honks more. I think I will test it and see if he will just leave it on the porch if I don't go out.

I guess it is better than a card in the box to go to the post office.

Just thought I'd chime in because my mom has been a mail carrier for just short of 30 years. Yes this is normal operating procedure. Considering you said it's basically a dirt road with 6 houses that would be a rural route and they are not required to bring the package up a dirt road or gravel driveway. They do have to make an attempt at delivery thus the honking. For the person that said their mom's carrier only leaves a notice she should report this. I used to live in an apartment complex and our carrier would do this and that's not SOP, so I reported it and she changed her tune real quick when faced with diciplinary action for not doing things as she should. I know the honking can be annoying, I used to live in a place with rural delivery where that was the norm, but that's the way the PO operates.

Thank you for letting me know this.

I think honking is "normal" but unacceptable. We live in a similar circumstance, and our mailman (and UPS guy, and FedEx guy...) are all afraid of the neighbor's dogs. They sometimes refuse to get out of their car or truck because the dogs are 75 feet away and barking. Sigh.

Just put a note in your mailbox that requests they leave a notice you have packages, and get them at the post office. That seemed to work for us. Fortunately, the post office is halfway between my work and home. :)

Well I absolutely am thankful that I get mail delivery. But that's not the point.

If I had to only go as far as the driveway to get my mail, even if I had to do it just out of bed in the morning I wouldn't complain. If the postal working is dancing naked in my driveway I would be happy to go out and get the mail from him/her because that means I didn't have to go to the post office and pick it up.

So it is all a matter of perspective. I wouldn't think it annoying, weird or rude at all if someone is honking for me to go to the driveway and get a package.

If I had to only go as far as the driveway to get my mail, even if I had to do it just out of bed in the morning I wouldn't complain. If the postal working is dancing naked in my driveway I would be happy to go out and get the mail from him/her because that means I didn't have to go to the post office and pick it up.

So it is all a matter of perspective. I wouldn't think it annoying, weird or rude at all if someone is honking for me to go to the driveway and get a package.

You are absolutely right that it is a matter of perspective. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

That's a funny thread title, huh?? Anyway, we live in a little town called Maggie Valley, NC. We are outside city limits on a gravel road with a total of 6 houses. When we have a package to be delivered that will not fit in our mailbox, the mailman will pull into my driveway and blow his horn until I come out there. It makes me nuts!!! Is this normal? What does your postman do in this case? It seems like the person who previously delivered our mail put it in a bag and hung it on the mailbox (if the weather was nice). That's better than me having to put on a coat over my pj's and flip flops to go out and get the mail. :willy_nilly:

This is exactly what my postman does! And it does drive me nuts!

Mine rings the door bell and then leaves it on the porch. what annoys me is that she only brings the one item to the door, so then I have to walk out to the mail box to get the rest of the stuff. Most of the time I'm home. At my last house the mail man would bring everything to the door. If I didn't answer he would leave the package and go put the regular mail in the mail box.

My mom's mail lady irritates her because she won't drive down their long drive to leave the package on the porch. It isn't that far. Maybe an acre. She leaves the box sitting by the side of the road next to the mail box.

Our postwoman will bring packages to the door unless the dogs are in the yard then she leaves a notice in the box. This is kind of annoying since the garage man door is outside the yard and has a doorbell.:glare: If we are not home she will leave it on the doorstep.

There are several letter carriers in our family. What I've seen, through them, is that the management of each post office can vary greatly. So where one carrier might be able to take a couple minutes to go out of her way for her customer's convenience, another carrier in another office might get in trouble for not following SOP to.the.letter. KWIM? (In some places carriers are actually being watched or timed in one way or another.)

Being a letter carrier is a physically demanding job. Can you imagine 30 years of stairs for the city/suburban carrier? The good carriers realize that we are their customers and they are worth their weight in gold! The carriers with no regard for customers or basic rules of conduct (no cell phones, smoking etc) make me crazy!

I was just searching for my previous thread about this very subject; alas, it seems to have disappeared into the nether regions of this board. Therein, I lamented our less-than-stellar postal service. Okay, "lamented" needs to be understood in context. Clearly, when people in this world are suffering all manner of trouble, my frustration with our rural route carriers isn't a matter of huge significance.:tongue_smilie: But I happen to think a job is a job, and if I'm paying for a service, I want the service person to do the job. Sitting and honking to get my attention is rude. It's half-ass on the part of the delivery person. Period. (Btw, "rural route" is a misnomer in our case. Our home is directly on a well-traveled road, a mile outside the city limits.)

When we moved here, a very nice guy delivered our mail in a very normal manner. Unfortunately, he moved on soon after we arrived and we've spent the ensuing years dealing with carriers who will do anything to avoid actually getting out of their vehicle. Year after year after year, these women (we've cycled through carriers) sat out there leaning on the horn, rain or shine, when we had a package. And year after year after year I'd tell them, "Please don't just sit out here honking on your horn. Please place the package on the porch."

They insisted they "weren't allowed" to get out and bring the package to the door. Ahem. They repeatedly expressed concern about our dog. (We've never owned a dog; there are no dogs in the vicinity of our home.) The postmaster defended them. After posting (ha! no pun intended intended!) about it here, chatting with a few others who are subjected to the horn-honking, the retirement of one postmaster and arrival of another, I learned a thing or two. I hadn't realized, for example, that these rural route carriers have a totally different contract than genuine postal employees.

I did ultimately find (thanks to someone here) the regulations that disproved their claim regarding not being "allowed" to exit their vehicle. Now, IF we had a dog, IF our home was innaccessible, the honk would be part of the regime. But that's not the case. As I said, we have no dog or other potential threats (my children don't bite) and my house is directly on the road. What is amounted to was laziness on their part, and that's probably the case for your carrier, too. Let him know how you want the package delivered; tell the postmaster; and if he continues honking, open your door and politely call, "I'm right here! Do you have something to bring me?":)

I was just searching for my previous thread about this very subject; alas, it seems to have disappeared into the nether regions of this board. Therein, I lamented our less-than-stellar postal service. Okay, "lamented" needs to be understood in context. Clearly, when people in this world are suffering all manner of trouble, my frustration with our rural route carriers isn't a matter of huge significance.:tongue_smilie: But I happen to think a job is a job, and if I'm paying for a service, I want the service person to do the job. Sitting and honking to get my attention is rude. It's half-ass on the part of the delivery person. Period. (Btw, "rural route" is a misnomer in our case. Our home is directly on a well-traveled road, a mile outside the city limits.)

When we moved here, a very nice guy delivered our mail in a very normal manner. Unfortunately, he moved on soon after we arrived and we've spent the ensuing years dealing with carriers who will do anything to avoid actually getting out of their vehicle. Year after year after year, these women (we've cycled through carriers) sat out there leaning on the horn, rain or shine, when we had a package. And year after year after year I'd tell them, "Please don't just sit out here honking on your horn. Please place the package on the porch."

They insisted they "weren't allowed" to get out and bring the package to the door. Ahem. They repeatedly expressed concern about our dog. (We've never owned a dog; there are no dogs in the vicinity of our home.) The postmaster defended them. After posting (ha! no pun intended intended!) about it here, chatting with a few others who are subjected to the horn-honking, the retirement of one postmaster and arrival of another, I learned a thing or two. I hadn't realized, for example, that these rural route carriers have a totally different contract than genuine postal employees.

I did ultimately find (thanks to someone here) the regulations that disproved their claim regarding not being "allowed" to exit their vehicle. Now, IF we had a dog, IF our home was innaccessible, the honk would be part of the regime. But that's not the case. As I said, we have no dog or other potential threats (my children don't bite) and my house is directly on the road. What is amounted to was laziness on their part, and that's probably the case for your carrier, too. Let him know how you want the package delivered; tell the postmaster; and if he continues honking, open your door and politely call, "I'm right here! Do you have something to bring me?":)

Thank you for posting!! I am definitely going to check into this further.

Funny about the dog part -- my mom came home to find the UPS guy half way up the outside yard light pole by the house. He'd gotten out to put the package by the door and got treeed. :D He'd been there a good part of the morning waiting for someone to come home.

He just honks now.

If I was answering this post yesterday, I would have gone out of my way to praise our postman, however, today, when I went out to our mailbox there was a notice of undeliverable certified mail that I had to be home to sign - ummm - I was home all day and my daughter watched the mail come and drive off - no attempt was made to try to get my signature! I'm trying to convince myself that this was not our normal mailman and have scheduled redelivery for tomorrow BUT if it happens tomorrow I WILL be throwing a fit.

Normally, our postman will enter our driveway with a package, give a friendly honk and either I or one of the kids walk out to the truck before he can get out or he brings it (with the rest of our mail) right to the door for us. I've never had any complaints until today. He's actually carried heavy boxes into the house for me when I'm in my frequent pregnant conditions :)

Hope you get it straightened out soon.

Funny about the dog part -- my mom came home to find the UPS guy half way up the outside yard light pole by the house. He'd gotten out to put the package by the door and got treeed. :D He'd been there a good part of the morning waiting for someone to come home.

He just honks now.

My bil is our UPS driver. The lady we used to have went a little psycho and stabbed someone's dog with her pen. She was tired of being bit. My own dogs attack me if I am in a UPS uniform (I do seasonal work). My bil does not stab dogs, he used to keep a pocket full of treats he could throw (in a direction other than where he was going), but now he just relies on his diad for defense. You'd be amazed at how vicious the family dog can become when confronted by Big Brown.

We used to have a guy who would pull into the driveway and honk his horn if there was a package, but then he'd get out of the car and bring it up to the door... and leave it if I wasn't there. I think that's odd that he won't leave it. I'd just quit responding.

This is what ours did too. Kinda like the UPS guy who rings the doorbell but the package is already dropped off.

It's totally normal for Bostic, NC... :001_smile:

One wonders if it is possible that in this state they do not have those little slips telling people to come get their packages at the post office?

Georgia

Edited by Georgia in NC

Ours is nuts - she leaves us notes all the time complaining if our mailbox door has fallen open in bad weather or if we have mail that won't fit in our mailbox (we have a nice normal sized box). She will hang heavy packages off of our red flag instead of bringing them up onto our front porch and as a consequence we are on our 4th mailbox in the last 7 years because it can't take that kind of abuse. Also if my daugther runs out to get the mail she won't smile or wave. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if ours made the evening news one of these days.

I didn't read all the responses- but I live in a little town called Franklin in NC.:001_smile:

We have had definite issues with mail/ mail carriers/ and even the UPS here.

When we moved here- the postman would drive up our road, drive into the driveway, honk, and then I would come out, he would get out and give me the package and the mail.

Then we moved. We live a half mile off of the main road and the postman won't come up. We put in a large mailbox. They fit very small things in it. Otherwise- it is a constant trip to the post office with the mail card. So- we basically get every package a day later- as they deliver the card the day they would have delivered the package. They don't deliver our mail until late afternoon... and we can't pick it up until the next day.

There have been three times that an alternate post carrier has brought mail up to our door (he was subbing) and all three times I felt that it was God!

Once was a bread shipment, another a chocolate shipment, and another audio books on a really bad day! :D

Honestly, the mail here and UPS has been a really big adjustment from the part of PA we came from. :grouphug:

I don't know if you will be able to change your situation...

But I am writing to say: hey! I know how you feel!

Rebecca