Menu

S/O - Name 10 Books I'd Heartily Disagree With (or loathe)

Well I loathed, "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck. Beautiful setting, descriptive writing, but by the end I had literally thrown the book across the floor.

I agree about picking books that are polar opposite of your convictions. Politics, religion, and even parenting advice.

I don't know if you would loathe this one or not. Given your pagan spirituality, I wonder if you want to try Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis? I offer the suggestion because you have spoken openly about your spiritual journey as a pagan, yet I wonder if you might end up enjoying this book because you speak of your spiritual journey and of others' spiritual leanings with such openness and respect and interest and friendliness. I don't know whether to think you would disagree with (loathe?) an unabashedly Christian book or if you would find it another interesting area to delve into and think about.

And while we're at it, I have to thank you for being that kind of person--open, interested, respectful, friendly. I've enjoyed getting to know you here--I have appreciated hearing your perspective.

One book I've read that I loathe--Fascinating Womanhood.

One series I won't read on principle--The Left Behind series.

I'm not sure, though, that I see much benefit in reading either of those.

I think I'd look for books that argue an opposite position on issues (for example, evolution, global warming, the Civil War, stem cell research, genetically modified food products). Maybe if you post issues and your take on them, people could suggest books that offer a different perspective?

Woohoo! A list on which I can FINALLY recommend this book: Year of Wonders! I absolutely, positively LOVED 99% of this book. But the ending made me nearly grab a butcher knife and express myself vociferously to the author. It's a shame, too, because Brooks' writing is lyrical, clinical, compelling, and repellent by turns--perfect for the subject matter, which is the black plague. But the ending? Was she DRUNK?! Where was her editor?!?!

Just horrid.

And that's the most depressing of all scenarios, really: A book that could have gone on your all-time faves shelf, that you might've recommended to one and all--but that instead you can barely reflect on without a bit of bile rising in the back of your mouth. Grrrrr....

But I'm not bitter!;)

Yeah, it's sort of difficult to point to an overtly Christian, but considered, work as something pagans would "loathe". In my experience, most would get something out of it, even without embracing the theology. It's part of that whole "spiritual journey" thing, pursuing challenges. (also, most of us probably own a bible, though it's not handy or a daily reference :D)

If you are looking for something to make your head actually spin around, I would point you to the Pearls. Lots of fun, they are.

Aw, shucks. This one is easy. I'll pm you some religious titles that I would prefer not to publicly announce as loathsome.

Can't stand The Prince by Machiavelli. Definitely loathed reading that one.

I loathe all the books by Roald Dahl that I've read, but I know that's not a common reaction.

Oh! And A.S. Byatt. I got through about 20 pages of Possession before I had to put it down. That woman is the most annoying, snarky, arrogant writer I've ever read. Please. Must we use "octogenarian" three times in two pages?

I love the word loathe.

Aw, shucks. This one is easy. I'll pm you some religious titles that I would prefer not to publicly announce as loathsome.

Can't stand The Prince by Machiavelli. Definitely loathed reading that one.

I loathe all the books by Roald Dahl that I've read, but I know that's not a common reaction.

Oh! And A.S. Byatt. I got through about 20 pages of Possession before I had to put it down. That woman is the most annoying, snarky, arrogant writer I've ever read. Please. Must we use "octogenarian" three times in two pages?

I love the word loathe.

Yes, yes, YES to Dahl and Byatt. Whew. So glad I'm not the only one. Can I add Umberto Eco to the self-consciously uber-intellectual writer category? Blech.

Anything written by the Pearls or the Ezzos (child violence)

A Mary Heart in a Martha World (don't quite know how to describe this one besides ugh)

Books by Dr. Laura Schlessinger (more funny and annoying than loathsome)

Books by Ann Coulter (just purely loathsome)

Books by Don Aslet (slightly more loathsome than Ann Coulter, IMO -- him and his pristine little world where there is no dirt, no clutter, and no work to acheive that!! :glare:)

As a writer, books by Janette Oke and Danielle Steel should offend you deeply. Likewise, those serial paperback romances (Harlequin, Silhouette, etc.).

I understand wanting to challenge one's ideas or ideologies, but I think life is way to short to invest the time in reading something you know you will hate. We get challenged everyday with opposing views by watching the news, taking part in politics and just interacting with others. I agree that almost every book I have read has brought me a little something, but I prefer to start a book with the hope that it may become a favorite, instead of knowing or at least thinking I will hate it.

So last night I went searching and I found a book called "Men Are Better Than Women." I went to the guy's website and within moments my blood pressure had about shot through the roof. I spent the rest of the night composing hate mail and being mean to my husband.

Maybe this isn't such a great way to spend a month, LOL!

Oddly enough - as much as I hate Dr. Laura on the radio, I actually like her "10 Stupid Things Women Do" book a LOT. It really opened my eyes when I got out of the ugly relationship I had with my ex.

Anne Coulter does make my skin crawl, though. And I despise Roald Dahl, LOL. I think I like Byatt, though. At least years ago.

I do hate any book that should end happily and doesn't.

And I will read any religious books that get passed my way - I do that from time to time anyway. I believe I've read parts of Mere Christianity, but don't recall much....

I'm going to have to read one of those biblical womanhood books sooner or later. I only got to page 5 of "The Purpose-Driven Life", though, before I started screaming.

And actually I even threw Plato across the room once when I read his thoughts about women.

but might not feel a waste of your time to read, either.

The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

I think it would be classified as allegorical fiction. I don't see it as in-your-face dogma, but an interesting take on human (and by implication, Divine) nature from an interesting point of view. I suggest it because it is by an author you might not normally choose.

By the way, Jennifer, your "Halving It All" has become dh's and my phrase for the year. We are on the simplification bandwagon, thank you very much!

My book club did this last year and many of the ladies liked it. :confused:

I hated, hated, hated it. The writing was well done but the main character had no redeeming qualities.

Of course, your mileage may vary, I see it often on "must read" lists and many of my friends thought it was "touching". :glare:

I had to laugh when the book club discussed it because just the month before they had hated Cannery Row and I loved.

Obviously taste in reading is highly individual.

As a writer, books by Janette Oke and Danielle Steel should offend you deeply. Likewise, those serial paperback romances (Harlequin, Silhouette, etc.).

:rant:

Now that truly is offensive.

I am a writer & I'm targeting Harlequin/Silhouette.

But I can laugh about it because hey, I know what it takes & I know the published writers in my RWA chapter & I know how smart these men & women are and no, it's not offensive to write pulp fiction, no more than it's offensive for someone - even someone smart - to work as a check out clerk. :D

I hated, hated, hated it. The writing was well done but the main character had no redeeming qualities.

Of course, your mileage may vary, I see it often on "must read" lists and many of my friends thought it was "touching". :glare:

I had to laugh when the book club discussed it because just the month before they had hated Cannery Row and I loved.

I like both books-- I am the bridge between you ;) I can see why you didn't like Kite Runner, though. It was agonizing.

My recommendation: Atlas Shrugged.

Margaret

So Much More by the Botkin Sisters

:iagree: Oh, yes, yes, yes, this is a loathsome book. Someone gave it to my dd for a high school graduation gift, and after only reading a bit of it, she was in tears thinking she was a horrible daughter and godless for wanting to go to college! I took it away from her, gave her a good talking to (about how she was actually honoring her father by attending college since that is what he wants for her, etc.), then I read the book to make sure it was junk....then I threw it in the trash. You want to steam....read this book.

Another awful one is "Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets them Free". Don't remember the author. I managed to keep my lid on for several chapters of things I didn't agree with, but when I got to the bit about Adam and Eve.......in the trash it went. I was truly steamed. Talk about "lies; the author seems to have made up several and not read her Bible.

Well, these are the religious-type books I couldn't stand. I'll try to think of some secular books and list them later, although honestly, why you would want to raise your blood-pressure by reading books you disagree with is beyond me! I'd much rather read books I like.:001_smile:

Really?? Wow....The book was focused on his regrets and the lessons he learned from them. What he went through to try to repay his wrong. The pain and sorrow and regret he felt was deeply moving to me. He was trying so hard to make it right. I think it gave a glimmer of hope to those who have done wrong. Redemption, forgiveness, honesty family. I got so much out of this book.

:confused:

Woohoo! A list on which I can FINALLY recommend this book: Year of Wonders! I absolutely, positively LOVED 99% of this book. But the ending made me nearly grab a butcher knife and express myself vociferously to the author. It's a shame, too, because Brooks' writing is lyrical, clinical, compelling, and repellent by turns--perfect for the subject matter, which is the black plague. But the ending? Was she DRUNK?! Where was her editor?!?!

Just horrid.

And that's the most depressing of all scenarios, really: A book that could have gone on your all-time faves shelf, that you might've recommended to one and all--but that instead you can barely reflect on without a bit of bile rising in the back of your mouth. Grrrrr....

But I'm not bitter!;)

:iagree:

(Her People of the Book *is* one of the best books I have ever read.)

I don't know if you would loathe this one or not. Given your pagan spirituality, I wonder if you want to try Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis? I offer the suggestion because you have spoken openly about your spiritual journey as a pagan, yet I wonder if you might end up enjoying this book because you speak of your spiritual journey and of others' spiritual leanings with such openness and respect and interest and friendliness. I don't know whether to think you would disagree with (loathe?) an unabashedly Christian book or if you would find it another interesting area to delve into and think about.

And while we're at it, I have to thank you for being that kind of person--open, interested, respectful, friendly. I've enjoyed getting to know you here--I have appreciated hearing your perspective.

:iagree:

Do you have a Library Thing account? (It's free for the first 200 or so books you enter.) You can go to Librarything.com and enter a dozen or so books that you really like then use their unrecommend feature to recommend books that are the "opposite" of what you entered. Kind of a fun thing to play with and would suit your purposes well, I think. Although, I entered a Steven King book I own once, and it's unrecommendation was a John Piper book I also so, so... :glare:

So last night I went searching and I found a book called "Men Are Better Than Women." I went to the guy's website and within moments my blood pressure had about shot through the roof. I spent the rest of the night composing hate mail and being mean to my husband.

:lol::lol::lol:

I loathe The Awakening, by Kate Chopin. The protagonist is whiny, self-absorbed, and clearly has no idea what it's like to have real problems. And I completely disagree with the ending.

I agree that Ezzo and Pearl are fun to hate, as are Bill Gothard and the Vision Forum people (just remember that most Christians violently disagree with them, too).

I could not stand this book. I really wanted to like it. Everyone told me I would love it. I couldn't wait to be done with it.

Anything by Ann Coulter.

Catch 22.

Catch 22--yeah, baby! Hated it!

Also not a Coulter fan here. At all. I can't read angry snark. Dave Barry-esque snark? Yes. Ann Coulter snark? Not just no.

okay, I just read the entire thread, and I have to say...

Please, please do not do this! Find something else! Why on earth would you want to make yourself get upset/mad whatever..on purpose! plus, books that one hates are usually terribly slow to read! Learn how to cook Mandarin or something, but why waste effort on bad books....

(and just in case you don't listen to me......

don't read Rush Limbaugh...he is funny, easy to read...and you might just find yourself slipping on over to our side of the aisle!;) wouldn't want that!:D)

Jenny

I agree with the idea to read things that give you all points of view. When my dds were little I was very involved with La Leche League, and they only have approved books in their libraries. So for several years I was getting very one-sided parenting advice and it nearly killed me. Now I only go to LLL for breastfeeding advice, not parenting advice. Kind of like how I only go to the doctor for medical advice.

Well...if you go *looking* for books that will raise your blood pressure...yep, you're crazy. But if you're looking to better understand other people, their POV, etc.--I really admire that. I think the better we understand ea other, the more we can know ourselves, if that makes sense. And I also think that being open to reading about ea other's lifestyles, pov, etc. is a good way to build bridges & foster peace.

Me? I don't really like reading. ;) :lol:

Okay, at least this thread is good for a laugh on what's otherwise been a tough day for me!

Atlas Shrugged! Another classic I HATED! Ditto to Catch-22....or do I mean Catcher in the Rye; yeah, I think that's the one I hated.

While we're on the subject of books high schoolers are forced to read that absolutely stink: A Separate Peace. AAAAAARGH! Stupidest book ever.

I will confess to reading harlequins now and then although I often chuck them across the room, as well. I am a sucker for a good romance with a happy ending. As someone who has attempted to write one - it ain't as easy as you think. I read one this year where the hero was a nice guy - just a nice guy through and through - and I LOVED it. Why don't they do that more?

I haven't read Dahl in ages but I always felt that he actually hates kids. Something in his tone of voice.

I'm keeping a list here. I don't know whether I'll do it or not. But I will look out for them at the library (won't spend money on them!) and try them out, maybe.

BTW - I don't think any C.S. Lewis books would qualify as ones I hate - I'm too familiar with his take on Christianity already. I might not agree with what he says but I don't have a violent reaction to it, either.

Can I say again, I'm loving this thread?

Really?? Wow....The book was focused on his regrets and the lessons he learned from them. What he went through to try to repay his wrong. The pain and sorrow and regret he felt was deeply moving to me. He was trying so hard to make it right. I think it gave a glimmer of hope to those who have done wrong. Redemption, forgiveness, honesty family. I got so much out of this book.

:confused:

I hope this works, I haven't tried the quote feature before. And thank you for responding to my post. :) I love to talk about books.

Some of the ladies in my book club shared your response. So this is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

The way I read it, the main character only expressed angst about how the guilt affected his life. His attempts to help the boy were really about making himself feel better and the way he did it caused the boy more damage. The breaking point for me was when his fiance shared her secret and he did not reciprocate, instead he started a life with her while the exchange was uneven and she felt he was wonderful to accept her previous failure. He devastated his family, ruined his relationship with his father, betrayed a friend, and lied by omission to the woman who loved him, but his regret was only expressed about how he felt.

Like I said, lots of people liked it, and my friends agreed with your impression. I should probably re-read it someday to make sure I wasn't too harsh, but I really can't stand the thought.

My recommendation: Atlas Shrugged.

Margaret

Funny, I was thinking of either Atlas Shruggedd or The Virtue of Selfishness both by Ayn Rand.

I actually enjoyed reading both of these, but I find her philosophy repugnant.

It does remind me that I once (in a crowded parking structure at holiday time) had the occasion to "snake" a parking space from a guy with a "Who Is John Gault?" bumper-sticker on his car.

That tickled my funny-bone :lol:

Bill

I hope this works, I haven't tried the quote feature before. And thank you for responding to my post. :) I love to talk about books.

Some of the ladies in my book club shared your response. So this is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

The way I read it, the main character only expressed angst about how the guilt affected his life. His attempts to help the boy were really about making himself feel better and the way he did it caused the boy more damage. The breaking point for me was when his fiance shared her secret and he did not reciprocate, instead he started a life with her while the exchange was uneven and she felt he was wonderful to accept her previous failure. He devastated his family, ruined his relationship with his father, betrayed a friend, and lied by omission to the woman who loved him, but his regret was only expressed about how he felt.

Like I said, lots of people liked it, and my friends agreed with your impression. I should probably re-read it someday to make sure I wasn't too harsh, but I really can't stand the thought.

Fascinating take! Now I have to get it out of the library again and check it out, because I think you might be right.

I loathe The Awakening, by Kate Chopin. The protagonist is whiny, self-absorbed, and clearly has no idea what it's like to have real problems. And I completely disagree with the ending.

Oh my GOSH, I completely agree! I hated that I wasted my time reading it and I hate that it's some classic of "women's literature" - at least it was short. :glare:

You could always read Bergdorf Blondes or one of those Debbie Macomber knitting books... I love to knit, but those were a waste of time too.

Why Atlas Shrugged? Too long and wordy? Or philosophical disagreements? I loved The Fountainhead, but AS is a struggle.