Menu

What would you eat for your main meal if you weren't cooking for a family?

I would eat out about half the time. Dh and I would grab a light meal at a cafe or pick up a ready-to-go salad and soup from our wonderful grocery store (Wegmans). The other half of the time I'd dine on salads and chicken, steak, and fish. There'd always be plenty of fresh fruits and veggies and nuts. I would not feel the need to make heavier foods without teens to fill up!

Oh this is so easy. Starches. Nothing but starches. Grits, potatoes, lima beans, black eyed peas and corn, corn, corn. And tator tots. And sour cream chicken.

Aaaaah. If I could get enough starches I might give up the rum.

This is so funny because my first thought when reading the OP question was lots of soups and salads and then my next thought was meat and veggies and I could give up making all those boring side starches.

I was just raiding the fridge for a late night snack and all my crew left from supper was mashed potatoes not a vegetable or piece of protein in sight.

This is easy for me too because I would definitely go back to the way I ate when I was single and living on my own. Frozen bean and cheese burritos (heated up, of course), nachos, peanut butter sandwiches, and the occasional pizza.

Kathleen, your comment about heating up the burritos reminded me of a time I asked my son (age 6 or 7 then) if he wanted frozen pizza for lunch. He looked at me kinda funny and said, "Could you cook it first?"

Heidi, I'd definitely eat Corn Pops for dinner more often! Maybe even a bowl of Cap'n Crunch every now and then! How about you?

Chelle

Would you eat the same type of dinners? Would you eat more gourmet food? Would you just eat cereal? :tongue_smilie: Or something simple like cheese, crackers, and fruit? Would you eat out?

Completely irrelevant and unimportant. Just curious. :)

Cereal, oatmeal, sandwiches, yogurt. I would never actually cook.

Kathleen, your comment about heating up the burritos reminded me of a time I asked my son (age 6 or 7 then) if he wanted frozen pizza for lunch. He looked at me kinda funny and said, "Could you cook it first?"

Heidi, I'd definitely eat Corn Pops for dinner more often! Maybe even a bowl of Cap'n Crunch every now and then! How about you?

Chelle

Chelle,

Your post reminded me of the first time someone offered me an ice cream sandwich. I was having a real hard time imagining how chocolate ice cream on white bread would taste.:D

There is a local pizza joint that I love. They have delicious gourmet toppings, etc. When I got sick of pizza I would probably have simple meals. Fresh-cooked tortillas with a little chicken, cheese, and fresh salsa. Crackers with goat cheese and sour cherry jam. A granola bar and spinach/fruit smoothie. Spinach salad with feta, cranberries, and walnuts. That sort of thing. Occasionally I might cook something like gnocchi with sausage and spinach just for fun. Or get a panini grill and make awesome grilled sandwiches with roasted red pepper and pesto. Yum!

Honestly, I would eat small amounts of stuff all day. A handful of something here, a handful of something there. Cheese and crackers for sure. I'm not a sit down and eat a meal type of person. Even now, I don't eat breakfast or lunch at the table with the kids - I stand at the sink and take a forkful of whatever I made them. Dinner is sometimes anxiety provoking because I just don't like having all that food at one time (though when I was faithfully practicing the Eat to Live diet, this wasn't a problem). I really don't even enjoy eating out because of that.

But if I didn't have anyone to cook for, I'm assuming I wouldn't have dh either. If that were the case, I'd be mooching off my parents a lot - my dad is a great cook!

There is a local pizza joint that I love. They have delicious gourmet toppings, etc. When I got sick of pizza I would probably have simple meals. Fresh-cooked tortillas with a little chicken, cheese, and fresh salsa. Crackers with goat cheese and sour cherry jam. A granola bar and spinach/fruit smoothie. Spinach salad with feta, cranberries, and walnuts. That sort of thing. Occasionally I might cook something like gnocchi with sausage and spinach just for fun. Or get a panini grill and make awesome grilled sandwiches with roasted red pepper and pesto. Yum!

We were given a panini grill for Christmas and have had a great time creating sandwiches. Dh is much more gourmet than I am. He likes to sautee mushrooms to have with sundried tomato spread, turkey or chicken, and havarti cheese on sourdough.

I just like ham and havarti with sundried tomatoes on my sourdough.

sushi, tomatoe basil soup, homemade bread (from the bread machine), chips and salsa, did I say sushi?, sushi, soup of the day from Barnes and Noble, Spanky's glazed fingers (gotta be from Savannah to understand the utter deliciousness), and go out to eat on the other days.

Oh this is so easy. Starches. Nothing but starches. Grits, potatoes, lima beans, black eyed peas and corn, corn, corn. And tator tots. And sour cream chicken.

Aaaaah. If I could get enough starches I might give up the rum.

Preach it sister! Rice and noodles and fresh, hot bread, too. And, pinto beans -- just cooked plain, but with a big ol' bottle of Tabasco on hand. And, toss some dairy on top of all of that. Oo! And lots of grilled cheese sandwiches, with every kind of bread and cheese combinations I can possibly imagine.

Edited by Audrey

We eat the same sort of "adventurous" and healthful diet now that we did before we had a child. So he (happily) eats things most folks would claim children won't eat, and he (mostly) refuses offers of "junk" from non-family members.

The one accommodation we make is not making his food picante, the hot-spices are added to our portions after the fact. Other-wise no change.

Bill

This is easy for me too because I would definitely go back to the way I ate when I was single and living on my own. Frozen bean and cheese burritos (heated up, of course), nachos, peanut butter sandwiches, and the occasional pizza.

This is how I ate when I was single too. It drove my dh nuts! To this day we still have a running joke about Hot Pockets. :lol: In college there was a pizza place down the street that had large pizzas for $5 on Tuesdays. I would buy one each week and eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 2 days straight.

If I was fending for myself now I would probably eat out a lot and the rest of the time it would be something easy like salad or sandwiches. I don't cook unless it's a requirement. Something I'm working on at the moment.... :D

Plates of cheeses, produce, and fish not assembled to make a dish, just separate. And when I did cook, I could add the massive quantities of sriracha as I went, instead of waiting for just my portion. Lots of curries, and lots of cabbage stuff that the rest of the family gets sick of easily. And I'd probably have eggs for dinner pretty often, even though they are already my breakfast staple.

This is what I was thinking, as well, except then I realize that is largely how we do eat. Well, in the summer, anyway. In winter, it's a lot of soups, salads and crusty bread. My kids prefer tapenade with goat cheese, though. ;)

The one accommodation we make is not making his food picante, the hot-spices are added to our portions after the fact. Other-wise no change.

Bill

Uh-huh. That's us, too. The 7 year old resents black pepper. One of the 4 year olds likes hot sauce. Ironically, they all really like Thai. A lot.

So, now I'm wondering... except for the random grazing aspect, is there a reason that we would eat differently because we have children?

is there a reason that we would eat differently because we have children?

Angela,

As I've been reading these replies, I remember now why I ate differently. When I was single I thought of eating as an annoyance - something I had to do in order to stay alive. I still do in a way. I wanted to spend my time doing things, not keeping myself alive. The whole thing about having to shop for food, prepare food, eat food, clean up the mess afterward - it just always has seemed like a monumental waste of time. I had other things to do and when my stomach growled I knew I had to eat, but I wanted to get it over with as soon as possible so I could get on with the other things. Even now my children often need to remind me that it's lunch time or dinner time and then I have to put the book down or stop sewing or cleaning or whatever to deal with the necessity of nourishing our bodies.

I realize that if I would just "embrace" the concept I might find it more enjoyable. I really envy people who know how to whip up something extraordinary for a meal and have the desire to cook. I just never got that. Having children (and a husband) creates a desire to provide something other than heated up frozen entrees for dinner. I feel a responsibility to make their meals as enjoyable as I can. But, if it were just me again, I'd opt for quick and easy.

That's it for me, at least.

Cereal, oatmeal, sandwiches, yogurt. I would never actually cook.

My dh moved 7 months before we did. It was a rare night that I actually cooked. Ds would eat peanut butter and jelly or something small. I ate cereal a lot.

I was so hard to go back to cooking regular meals.

I was looking longingly at those little boxed meals at the grocery the other day. You know where you overpay for convenience? It looked so nice.

Angela,

As I've been reading these replies, I remember now why I ate differently. When I was single I thought of eating as an annoyance - something I had to do in order to stay alive. I still do in a way. I wanted to spend my time doing things, not keeping myself alive. The whole thing about having to shop for food, prepare food, eat food, clean up the mess afterward - it just always has seemed like a monumental waste of time. I had other things to do and when my stomach growled I knew I had to eat, but I wanted to get it over with as soon as possible so I could get on with the other things. Even now my children often need to remind me that it's lunch time or dinner time and then I have to put the book down or stop sewing or cleaning or whatever to deal with the necessity of nourishing our bodies.

I realize that if I would just "embrace" the concept I might find it more enjoyable. I really envy people who know how to whip up something extraordinary for a meal and have the desire to cook. I just never got that. Having children (and a husband) creates a desire to provide something other than heated up frozen entrees for dinner. I feel a responsibility to make their meals as enjoyable as I can. But, if it were just me again, I'd opt for quick and easy.

That's it for me, at least.

:iagree: I see eating/cooking as a waste of time too. :grouphug: I thought it was just me. I'd much rather be reading or doing something else fun.

:iagree: I see eating/cooking as a waste of time too. :grouphug: I thought it was just me. I'd much rather be reading or doing something else fun.

Yes, and the funny thing is you'd think I'd be thin considering I think of food as a waste of time. The problem is by the time I figure out my body is hungry I'm usually a bit shaky and don't want to take the time to prepare anything. That means I usually grab whatever needs the least preparation and very often it is something full of fat and/or carbohydrates. When I was single that was ok because I just kept moving (I worked two jobs) and burned it up. Now that I'm 50 and have back issues and just want to sit on my cozy chair and read, all those quick nachos and leftover pieces of pizza are attaching themselves to my hips and belly.

Keeping slim requires that I give my eating habits more thought, but I am not any more inclined to do so. Aaccckk!

My dh and laugh about this all time! He calls around noon and wants to know what's for dinner. He looks forward to it so much, it's laughable. Me, on the other hand, I couldn't care less. I would have oatmeal with raisins. Or yogurt. Or eggs and toast. Simple and easy and I don't mind eating the same thing every day. My dh just shakes his head and laughs. One ds is like me and would eat the same thing every day. The other is like dh and wants variety and interest and exciting foods. To me, this is highly overrated especially seeing as I have to do the cooking! LOL

Salad. I'm weird that way. I could eat salad every night. It's always different!

Also, I can eat the same thing at the same time every day for YEARS. I have made myself the same sandwich--good bread, thinly sliced turkey, hummus, tabouleh, and Laughing Cow Light cheese, all toasted--and the same fruit salad with yogurt poured over it every day for approximately 4 years. Sometimes I go crazy and leave off the turkey and make it veggie-only! :D