Williamsburg, Virginia

May 1-2, 2009

Plan to Enjoy

Specialty Workshops

Story Time Luncheon for All Ages

Colonial Williamsburg

Panel Discussion with Speakers

While staying in the luxurious Marriott Hotel

Details and registration info coming soon!

Oooh, I already called dh to take those days off. Can I reserve the hotel rooms now? or is there gonna be a group discount for the hotel? I'm sooooo EXCITED!

Yes, we have group rates for hotel rooms and special rates for Colonial Williamsburg tickets. We are working to get registration and more information up soon!

Guys,

Thanks again for the suggestions. I am SO excited about this conference. I wanted to go ahead and post a tentative schedule for you...more details coming very soon along with a registration page.

SWB

FRIDAY

8:30-9:30

Educating Our Own Minds: How to Teach Ourselves as we Teach Our Kids

Susan Wise Bauer

Educating our children involves educating ourselves. And that means gaining confidence in our own intellectual abilities—rather than relying solely on “experts.” Come discover a plan for self-education in the classical tradition, including scheduling for busy adults; setting up a reading plan that involves understanding, anlyzing, and discussing literature; and mastering the skills needed for reading classic fiction and nonfiction.

9:45-10:45 Jim Weiss Topic TBA

11-12

Teaching Reading from Birth On

Jessie Wise

This workshop presents an overall plan for teaching reading to children. Jessie Wise outlines how you can help your child develop good language skills, starting at birth. She gives tips on how to make pre-reading instruction simple, effective, and fun. She also advises how to begin appropriate phonics instruction for children aged three, four, five and older. Jessie also gives suggestions on how to help remedial readers and how to encourage reluctant readers.

12:30-1:30

A Plan for Teaching Writing, Grades K-12 (Also titled Writing Well: A Plan

for Grades 1-12)

Susan Wise Bauer

*An overall plan for producing good writers at home.* This workshop explains

how to guide your student through a simple progression (copying, dictation, narration,

summarizing, outlining, short critical essays, long critical essays,

research paper) that will develop both writing and thinking skills in a

systematic, stepwise manner.* Includes suggestions on how to use these

writing and thinking skills in every area of the curriculum. Recommended for those teaching all K-6 students, as well as for those teaching older students who are reluctant writers.

1:45-2:45 Jessie Wise Topic TBA

3-4

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades

Susan Wise Bauer

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,” this workshop offers very specific guidance in how to teach middle grade (logic-stage) students the skills of constructing an argument, outlining and writing from an outline. Includes training in outlining, writing from an outline, basic Socratic dialogue, and evaluation and grading. Essential for those teaching all 5-8 students; since written argumentation is the basis of high school writing, this seminar is also highly recommended for those teaching high school students. Students in grades 5-12 are encouraged to attend.

4:15-5 Panel Discussion: Jim Weiss, Jessie Wise, and Susan Wise Bauer.

5:30-6:30

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the High School Years

Susan Wise Bauer

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,” this seminar covers all of the types of writing that high school students should learn before entering the freshmen year of college: response papers, summaries, and critical essays across the curriculum Attendance at “Focus on the Middle Grades” seminar is highly recommended. Students in grades 8-12 are encouraged to attend.

7:30-8:30 Bedtime Stories with Jim Weiss

SATURDAY

8:30-9:30

What is Literary Analysis? When, Why, and How Should I Teach It?

Susan Wise Bauer

You know that your children should read—but what else should you be doing to teach them skills in literature? After teaching literature at the college levelfor over a decade, Susan has seen the results of many different methods. This seminar will guide you towards the most effective way to teach literature. Offers a foundational explanation of what literary analysis is, a list of skills that need to be covered, guidance in how to teach them, and resource recommendations.

9:45-10:45

A Hands-On Seminar: Teaching Reading

Jessie Wise

Jessie will conduct two basic reading sessions with young students, covering beginning and intermediate phonics instruction. All are welcome to observe. Parents may nominate their own young readers for the starring role (no shy children, please!); those chosen will need to be available the morning of the seminar so that Jessie can get acquainted with them.

11-12

A Hands-On Seminar: Basic Literary Criticism

Susan Wise Bauer

Susan will lead a selected group of students in discussion of a literary work and the construction of a response paper. All are welcome to observe. Students must register ahead of time and complete assigned reading before the seminar begins. Intended for students in grades 7-12.

12:30-1:30 Lunchtime Stories with Jim Weiss

1:45-2:45

Teaching Students to Work Independently

Susan Wise Bauer

A plan for helping middle and high school (logic and rhetoric-stage) students move towards independent learning. Offers step-by-step guidance for parents and students as well as troubleshooting. Students in grades 7-12 are encouraged attend.

3-4 Jessie Wise If I Could Do It Over Again

Description TK

4:15-5:15

Home Schooling the Second Time*

Susan Wise Bauer was educated at home for almost all of her elementary and secondary school years, went on to college and graduate school, and now teaches at the university level and home schools her own four children.* As she looks back over her own ten*years of home education, she picks out those elements which were most valuable to her in her adult life, which techniques and programs she has chosen to reproduce with her own children--and which aspects of her own education were mistakes!** (And despite the mistakes, she's still doing just fine as an adult, which reassures her as she schools her own children.)*

I would have so loved to step outside the "how to teach reading and writing" box and explore, as JennW in SoCal expressed so well, "how to adapt a classical education for a non-traditional student, or how to combine classical education with vocational training". It's a hugely important topic that doesn't receive enough attention.

:)

Guys,

Thanks again for the suggestions. I am SO excited about this conference. I wanted to go ahead and post a tentative schedule for you...more details coming very soon along with a registration page.

We're working on recordings.

SWB

I know we're not supposed to shout here, but THIS LOOKS AWESOME!!! THANK YOU!!!!

I'm going to give serious thought to trying to get myself down there for this conference.

And if I can't, I'll be hoping the recordings work out.

You are such a blessing.

We're scheduled to be in VA in the latter half of May... so close but yet so far!! :(

I will be a tape cutsomer on this one! Especially the material on writing for the upper grades and high school...that is our biggest struggle with ds#3.

Thanks!!

We don't actually have anyone lined up to record yet, so this is still very tentative. :001_unsure: I wouldn't count on it just yet (sorry).

SWB

Please don't hold me to this, but the current plan is to charge $39.95 for registration--this covers you AND your spouse and any older children who are going to attend the workshops.

The hotel is normally $209 per night, but the conference rate is $129.

We'll let you know about any additional discounts shortly.

SWB

I just read what you have tentative. I saw about teaching your logic stage how to write. I just want to know when will you have hotel information? This one looks like a must go for me.

Will you be able to get a group rate? It is in Williamsburg, VA right? I just would like to make an announcement through my own homeschool support group maybe I can get some friends to come with me.

Thank you so much for this.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Please don't hold me to this, but the current plan is to charge $39.95 for registration--this covers you AND your spouse and any older children who are going to attend the workshops.

SWB

SWB

Sweet!!! I'm from the area and that cost of the hotel would so be worth it.

(Even though I know it is tentative ;))

SWB

I got dh to watch the dc's and I'm planning on coming. Let me know ASAP the details so I can get a room!! I'm 6 hours away and I'm looking sooo forward to this. The topics are EXACTLY what I need right now.