Menu

8 Year old’s solo drive to Target…

Ann.without.an.e

2 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Every time I see these stories I’m more discouraged about my own teens’ driving.

I have a 16 yo who I have been practicing with for 1.5 years now and I still haven’t let her drive the 2.5 miles to our local Target. 

I laugh because I had the same thought. 
Both of my girls took forever to get comfortable behind the wheel and then still drive only when they absolutely need to. They are 25 and 22 so 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

I laugh because I had the same thought. 
Both of my girls took forever to get comfortable behind the wheel and then still drive only when they absolutely need to. They are 25 and 22 so 😅

Yeah and sometimes you see stories like “12 year old steals truck and drives from FL to TX”. I’m like my kid wouldn’t make it out of town. ????

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Every time I see these stories I’m more discouraged about my own teens’ driving.

I have a 16 yo who I have been practicing with for 1.5 years now and I still haven’t let her drive the 2.5 miles to our local Target. 

Think of the cliché “Ignorance is bliss.” There’s no way the 8 yo understands what could have happened. Teens, however, do. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TechWife said:

Think of the cliché “Ignorance is bliss.” There’s no way the 8 yo understands what could have happened. Teens, however, do. 

I had it typed out “Ahhhh to be young and dumb and fearless again.” But then I thought “Wait, that would probably = dementia. Never mind” 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

56 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Has she done any 1:1 driving lessons?  A few with an experienced instructor made a world of difference here.   Not cheap at $80/hour but so worth it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Has she done any 1:1 driving lessons?  A few with an experienced instructor made a world of difference here.   Not cheap at $80/hour but so worth it.

Yep.

She isn’t horrible. We are getting there. She just really should be a lot further along than she is. But we will keep practicing and we’ll get there.

The driving instructors think she is fine. Of course they do. They have a brake they can access and they are used to all kinds of horrible teen drivers and she is not their precious baby and they aren’t going to be paying the car repairs or insurance or picking up the emotional pieces if someone gets hurt. So, I am the first to admit the parental standards for setting her loose on the roads are higher than the legal ones. We are very cautious. But she is our 4th so we are aware that letting go is part of the process. 

• Like 4

When I was a teen, I let my then-6yo sister drive in a parking lot.  I thought she did pretty good.  I proudly told my mom about it later.  She said, "hmm, I don't think that was a very good idea."  😛  I then realized that letting a 6yo think she knows how to drive could lead to her deciding to sneak off with the car.  😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, kbutton said:

Farm kid? Lots of kids drive on the farm and are very comfortable behind the wheel!

I bet this kid has definitely been driving on a farm! I was that farm kid. I was herding cows in a full size Ford pick up when I was 9. My grandfather on one side of the herd. My father on the other side—walking. And me. Alone driving the truck behind to move the herd wherever they were supposed to go. I had to sit on the edge of the bench to reach the pedals. Sometimes I still can’t believe they let me do that. The pasture was terraced in some areas. I had been instructed how to drive over the terraces at an angle—which was scary at first! (I feel 100% qualified for overlanding in a Landcruiser one day. 😉 ) Still would have never been brave enough to drive to the store. lol  

And I have an 18 year old who is still not wanting to drive much. She is the only one of my children who didn’t get that young driving experience in the country.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

We camp in local campgrounds on a regular basis.  There is a particular religious group in our community that has VERY large families.  They also camp on the regular but it is just the moms, girls, and boys under age 12.  All the men and teen boys are absent because they are working, often out of the area entirely.  So it can be one mom with 10 kids.  Maybe a grandma or two if they're lucky.  They usually camp in groups of families so they help each other out.  Usually a man or older boy comes to set up and break down their campers at the beginning and end of the trip.  But they will also have the oldest boy on site do it if there is no alternative.  We have seen boys as young as 10, 11, and 12 back up dual-axel pick-up trucks and 15 passenger vans to giant RVs, hook them up, then hand the keys over to mom.  We have watched them back in and disconnect giant trailers too.  I am in awe.  (and also super irritated that grown-ass women are somehow not "allowed" to do these things...but that's for another thread)

Also, my kid was 4yo when she STOLE a golf cart in an airport.  We were returning from a family gathering in which some older cousins thought it would be cute to teach her how to drive the several golf carts that were used to get around the vast family property.  Yeah.  It was cute.  Until dd saw no reason why to not use her new skills on one of those airport transport carts.  You turn your back for one second.....  That caused quite a commotion but no one was hit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, skimomma said:

Also, my kid was 4yo when she STOLE a golf cart in an airport.  We were returning from a family gathering in which some older cousins thought it would be cute to teach her how to drive the several golf carts that were used to get around the vast family property.  Yeah.  It was cute.  Until dd saw no reason why to not use her new skills on one of those airport transport carts.  You turn your back for one second.....  That caused quite a commotion but no one was hit!

This reminds me of the time an auntie instructed my then-8yo to drive a golf cart around a resort town.  I don't remember the reason.  My kid claimed she didn't even want to drive it but was more exhilarated than scared.  😛

Same kid spent a lot of time on a horse farm and was a pretty capable driver of a "gator" while still in elementary school.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skimomma said:

(and also super irritated that grown-ass women are somehow not "allowed" to do these things...but that's for another thread)

I think sometimes it’s easier in big families to have a division of labor. Also, the equipment might normally be available for practice if it ordinarily used in a business or rented for camping.

Just some thoughts—there are families where it’s just efficient!

There are also things I am capable of that I have my kids do so that they can become competent at those things.

• Like 2

This happens from time to time a 6 year old and his little sister took a car trip to mcdonalds I dont know how they see. My kids drove all sorts of vehicles growing up as non farm kids Lawn mowers, atv, dirt bikes, go carts they both pretty much hopped in the car and drove when they got their permits we only spent like 20 minutes in parking lots.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rebcoola said:

This happens from time to time a 6 year old and his little sister took a car trip to mcdonalds I dont know how they see. My kids drove all sorts of vehicles growing up as non farm kids Lawn mowers, atv, dirt bikes, go carts they both pretty much hopped in the car and drove when they got their permits we only spent like 20 minutes in parking lots.

All those driving experiences do help I’m pretty convinced. We are really city people and our kids never drove riding lawnmowers or golf carts or snowmobiles or anything of the sort. My brother was at some kind of teen driving safety thing and they said there was a study that said that even kids that had the little motorized toy cars did better driving. My kids really only drove go carts at an amusement park a couple times growing up and then they were learning to drive on congested city streets. Other kids who have had more general experience with motorized stuff just have a better feel. Even non-farm kids can grow up driving golf carts, gators, go carts, lawn mowers, etc. I was always kind of amazed at neighbor kids that could move their family cars around the driveway and jockey parking spots etc long before they were of age because mine couldn’t have done that. 

My dd is like “I never even played Mario Kart” hahaha. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, DawnM said:

You are all amazing me.  I don't think I could reach the pedals and still see out of the car until I was at least 12, maybe older.   

Oh me too. Even when I got my permit at 15 I needed platform shoes to reach the pedal and see out the windshield of my parent's mini-van. 

• Like 1

I begged my dad when I was 11/12 to take me some where back in the 70's he gave me the keys and told me I could go if I could drive myself. (he knew I couldn't figure it out) Of course it was a stick shift and I couldn't figure it out, darn it.   Fast forward to age 15 I got my permit and well lets just say he gave up teaching me how to drive and told me I could drive to work, under 1 mile, and back.     My daughter got her permit at 15 but wasn't ready to drive or attempt her licence until she was 18.5.   We thought she'd never get it and just waited it out but she didn't want us driving her to work and back so she made up her mind to get on it and passed 2nd attempt.

Edited by lynn

4 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Other kids who have had more general experience with motorized stuff just have a better feel.

I've seen my son drive one of those 😬. He and his buddy worn the tires and brakes off one of those things in a month. 

I suppose though when he turns 16 he'll be ready to drive, while mama will have this look on her face 😖.

I'm impressed at the ability to reach the pedals and the sense of direction. I had neither at 15. I remember being about 12 or 13 and realizing when a friend was driving me home that I should know how to get there since I was like 3 miles away. I recognized nothing. Now I routinely ask my kids to navigate us home if we are in a commonly travelled area within 10-12 miles. 

7 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

I'm impressed at the ability to reach the pedals and the sense of direction. I had neither at 15. I remember being about 12 or 13 and realizing when a friend was driving me home that I should know how to get there since I was like 3 miles away. I recognized nothing. Now I routinely ask my kids to navigate us home if we are in a commonly travelled area within 10-12 miles. 

My husband's family lore includes a story about him when he was 5 years old telling his mom when she drive the wrong way. Apparently that happened fairly often. Dh was almost always right as a child. Still is. It's caused some arguments between us because I have no sense of direction and he gets frustrated that I keep turning the wrong way. I just tell him we're taking the scenic route home. 😂

9 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

My husband's family lore includes a story about him when he was 5 years old telling his mom when she drive the wrong way. Apparently that happened fairly often. Dh was almost always right as a child. Still is. It's caused some arguments between us because I have no sense of direction and he gets frustrated that I keep turning the wrong way. I just tell him we're taking the scenic route home. 😂

Same. My husband and my son have an amazing ability to know their way around anywhere they are. It’s truly uncanny. My daughter and I emphatically do not have that skill. When we moved to a new state in the days before having directions on the phone or in the car, it was my 12-year-old son who navigated. I alternated between flabbergasted that he could do this and grateful that he kept us on track. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

I remember being about 12 or 13 and realizing when a friend was driving me home that I should know how to get there since I was like 3 miles away. I recognized nothing. Now I routinely ask my kids to navigate us home if we are in a commonly travelled area within 10-12 miles. 

My kids were like that. They just never paid attention to routes, so once they were teens they had no concept of how places connected. 

4 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

My husband and my son have an amazing ability to know their way around anywhere they are. It’s truly uncanny.

My youngest daughter is like this.  She was a preschooler giving directions.  She definitely did not get that from me.  😛

• Haha 3

We learned the hard way about directions and not being able to navigate as well as just not knowing what traffic looks like and road rules etc when we had a child who was always in the back.  When she got her permit it was a disaster. Her 18 month *younger* brother who always sat in the front due to motion sickness got his license almost 2 years before her.  So we instituted a rule.  Next driver sits up front with me.  They are not allowed to text/read etc but have to pay attention and I talk them through traffic and road rules and streets etc.  It's gone much much better and I just had my 6th get his license.  

ETA: since my kids are 18 months to 3 years apart they get lots of time to sit up front and learn before they ever get their permit.  

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 6

Oh and we don't play the game of not being ready or being too afraid.  Driving is a skill and they will learn it while home and while we have lots of time to teach them.   It doesn't mean we send them off on the road  before they are ready but it means we are consistently working on it.  All of my kids have gone away to college and/or served LDS missions right out of high school and so waiting was not going to serve them well.  I also was busy with kids and my own things and was not going to drive 17/18 year olds to community college and jobs.  It's part of growing up and infantilizing teens/young adults does not help them.   Of course I worried as any mother would but it was still life.  And for the record they learned on a 15 passenger van in a large city with horrible roads and worse traffic. I figured better to do that while I was teaching them then later on their own. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, busymama7 said:

We learned the hard way about directions and not being able to navigate as well as just not knowing what traffic looks like and road rules etc when we had a child who was always in the back.  When she got her permit it was a disaster. Her 18 month *younger* brother who always sat in the front due to motion sickness got his license almost 2 years before her.  So we instituted a rule.  Next driver sits up front with me.  They are not allowed to text/read etc but have to pay attention and I talk them through traffic and road rules and streets etc.  It's gone much much better and I just had my 6th get his license.  

ETA: since my kids are 18 months to 3 years apart they get lots of time to sit up front and learn before they ever get their permit.  

Yes.  This make a big difference.   We noticed this with our students as well.  Now when we have one that will be working towards a license (we help them with the permit test, set up driving lessons etc but don’t drive with them) we have them sit up front with me in the school van and navigate and watch for signs, etc.

i just talked with a childhood friend today and he mentioned how he was driving the family home from church weekly on our rural area by 12.   

• Like 1