Menu

s/o Any boardies that have become really well-known or are now celebrities?

Hannah

11 hours ago, saraha said:

I just googled this and is it fries, cheese, stove top stuffing and gravy??? Omgosh I am going to make this Monday.

I know you have to be vague, but the mysteries are driving me crazy!

A boardie was on jeopardy. I can picture their avatar but can’t remember the name

Rivka maybe?

• Like 6

On 3/21/2024 at 8:22 PM, J-rap said:

I kind of remember someone who opened a nice restaurant in southern California that was doing well...

@J-rap I'm not sure if it's the same one, but there was a homeschooling mom here whose family owned a dairy farm in the PNW(?) or maybe NorCal. She was a long time regular here, but life went off the rails in a number of ways, and her bounce back from all of that had her opening her own restaurant. I remember her name, but I'm not sure she's the same one you're talking about. She did pop back in here after a couple of years to let us know she was thriving, albeit in a far different way than what she had envisioned.

Edited by Halftime Hope
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, fraidycat said:

Rivka maybe?

Yes, I think that’s right! I meant to meet up with her as she lived near a museum I would take the kids to from time to time, but it never worked out and I think she moved. I think she won her episode at least once, if not for more nights. (Though, they film them all on the same day, so they don’t really come back the next day, she told us.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

@J-rap I'm not sure if it's the same one, but there was a homeschooling mom here whose family owned a dairy farm in the PNW(?) or maybe NorCal. She was a long time regular here, but life went off the rails in a number of ways, and her bounce back from all of that had her opening her own restaurant. I remember her name, but I'm not sure she's the same one you're talking about. She did pop back in here after a couple of years to let us know she was thriving, albeit in a far different way than what he had envisioned.

Colleen? I'd wondered what became of her.

• Like 3

On 3/21/2024 at 9:22 PM, J-rap said:

I kind of remember someone who opened a nice restaurant in southern California that was doing well...

4 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

@J-rap I'm not sure if it's the same one, but there was a homeschooling mom here whose family owned a dairy farm in the PNW(?) or maybe NorCal. She was a long time regular here, but life went off the rails in a number of ways, and her bounce back from all of that had her opening her own restaurant. I remember her name, but I'm not sure she's the same one you're talking about. She did pop back in here after a couple of years to let us know she was thriving, albeit in a far different way than what he had envisioned.

2 hours ago, Hannah said:

Colleen? I'd wondered what became of her.

9 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

No, not Colleen, although her family were dairy farmers, too. Perhaps the other family were simply farmers, not dairy, and I'm conflating something long ago.

@Julie in CA ?

Edited by pinball
  • Like 6

On 3/21/2024 at 9:10 PM, Scarlett said:

@ktgrok is a published author. 

Where is she by the way? I haven’t seen her in a while. 

Her DH lost his job. Maybe she is busy

This board voted for her in her romance writing contest…I think she came in 2nd and was offered a contract even tho the prize of a contract was supposed to be the first place vote getter…she got one, too. 

• Like 7

On 3/22/2024 at 4:33 PM, Hannah said:

At the time many people started blogging. She put in a lot of effort and kept at it consistently. What drew people in was her fun way of writing about her everyday life on the ranch and her great photographs. 

I googled it and she won a national blogging award in 2009. I'm not sure if she was still on the boards then, but there was a lot of excitement that one of our own had made it. It also led to some jealousy and spoof blogs, unfortunately.

She also had very regular giveaways based on leaving a comment…those $50 Starbucks gift cards & Amazon cards she “found in her junk drawer” helped draw people in, too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Garga said:

Yes, I think that’s right! I meant to meet up with her as she lived near a museum I would take the kids to from time to time, but it never worked out and I think she moved. I think she won her episode at least once, if not for more nights. (Though, they film them all on the same day, so they don’t really come back the next day, she told us.

She won her first day with a final question where the answer was "The Princess Bride".  I think she won once more and then lost her third "day".  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Julie something.  And it was NorCal. I ate at her restaurant once and PMed her about it. I’ve since moved states and I’ve wondered if it’s still there. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fraidycat said:

Rivka maybe?

Yes

8 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Colleen was the wife of the (German, I think?) dairy farmer who sold to Horizons. I forgot Julie may have also been married to a dairy farmer. 

6 hours ago, Calm37 said:

My memory of long ago is that the celebrity rumor was about Angelina Jolie.

Same

4 hours ago, pinball said:

@Julie in CA ?

She was the baker. I remember she baked fantastic desserts for restaurants. I don’t recall her opening her own but my memory isn’t exact. 

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

It's so funny, but I also remember that post with the poutine.

And Rivka was definitely on Jeopardy!

I'll bet there's some other secret celebs here. We would never know!

Don'tcha know it would be a huge relief to be anonymous somewhere?!?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

It's so funny, but I also remember that post with the poutine.

And Rivka was definitely on Jeopardy!

I'll bet there's some other secret celebs here. We would never know!

Whatever happened to Rivka? She was so smart (ok, we are all smart)!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

She was the baker. I remember she baked fantastic desserts for restaurants. I don’t recall her opening her own but my memory isn’t exact. 

Julie owned a cafe for a number of years but recently sold it.  She's still doing desserts and selling them through a roadside stand.  Her business is Julie's Artisan Desserts on Facebook.  Her desserts always looks so fabulous...too bad I live thousands of miles away! 

Edited by Denise in IN
corrected typo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Didn't Ree leave because someone from the board was stalking her?

I remember a hurtful parody blog.

Back then you could also pick up someone's IP address and trace their real identity that way. I don't think Ree was using her surname then yet, and if I recall the person 'outed' her.

• Sad 6

10 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Whatever happened to Rivka? She was so smart (ok, we are all smart)!

She's still got a psychology practice in Baltimore that provides testing and services primarily to homeschoolers. I refer my local college consulting clients to her all the time. Her youngest is in public high school.

I'm smart, but I think I might have been smarter before perimenopause struck, lol.

• Like 11

On 3/23/2024 at 1:30 PM, Laura Corin said:

There's @ktgrok our local romance novelist. 

I'm hardly famous, but thank you!

On 3/23/2024 at 11:48 PM, Garga said:

I just re-organized all my books today and was all happy to see one of her books on my shelf. 🙂 

Aww, too sweet!

• Like 8

There's a famous Hollywood producer here, but IDK if he is still on. We messaged back and forth a couple times and he was great fun on the boards--bit of a pot-stirrer, which I mean in a complimentary way!😆