Menu

Shooting near KC Chief's parade

Pawz4me

6 minutes ago, lovinmyboys said:

3 of my brother in laws were there. One was very near the shooting. Thankfully they are all ok. 

I'm so glad they are okay, but sorry they had to experience that.  Absolutely horrifying.  😞

• Like 5

“Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves said during a news conference that 22 people were shot in the incident, one of whom died from their injuries. But the police are still working on the total number of those injured.

The hospitals told CNN that 19 of 29 patients are being treated for gunshot injuries.

The University Health Truman Medical Center received 12 victims, eight of whom suffered gunshot wounds, according to Dr. Mark Steele. Of those with gunshot wounds, Steele said that two are in critical condition and six are in stable condition.

The University of Kansas Health System is treating one gunshot victim from the incident, according to Alexis Del Cid, an anchor and host with the hospital system's news network. Del Cid had no information on how many may have come to their hospital with other injuries.

Children’s Mercy Hospitalreceived 12 patients from the incident, according to Stephenie Meyer, senior vice president and chief nursing officer. Eleven of those are children between the ages of 6 and 15. Nine have gunshot wounds, she said at a news conference. All the patients are expected to fully recover, Meyer added.

Three patients walked into St. Luke’s Hospital in Kansas City, according to spokesperson Laurel Gifford. They all have minor injuries. In addition, St. Luke’s is treating one gunshot victim who is in critical condition, she said.”

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/kansas-city-chiefs-parade-shooting-02-14-24/index.html

• Sad 4

I wonder what Taylor Swift will think of her boyfriend after she hears about this:

https://www.tmz.com/2024/02/14/travis-kelce-photo-police-officer-cop-after-kansas-city-parade-shooting/

I know a lot of people here like the guy, but he has always seemed like kind of a classless jerk to me. This incident cements my opinion.

I guess he was only "heartbroken over the tragedy" until it was time to go out for dinner and party with his teammates. ONLY A FEW HOURS after a mass shooting at the parade!

Ugh. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I wonder what Taylor Swift will think of her boyfriend after she hears about this:

https://www.tmz.com/2024/02/14/travis-kelce-photo-police-officer-cop-after-kansas-city-parade-shooting/

I know a lot of people here like the guy, but he has always seemed like kind of a classless jerk to me. This incident cements my opinion.

I guess he was only "heartbroken over the tragedy" until it was time to go out for dinner and party with his teammates. ONLY A FEW HOURS after a mass shooting at the parade!

Ugh. 

Probably the same thing many of us think.  This is our reality and what can we people do to stop it from happening?  Kelce didn't have the gun in his hand.  He's a football player not an ethicist. He serves to entertain us.  We saw what happens to athletes who decide to protest.  See Colin Kapernick.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Probably the same thing many of us think.  This is our reality and what can we people do to stop it from happening?  Kelce didn't have the gun in his hand.  He's a football player not an ethicist. He serves to entertain us.  We saw what happens to athletes who decide to protest.  See Colin Kapernick.

This isn't about protest.

This is about a total lack of feeling for the dead and injured. 

Innocent people who were at that parade to celebrate Travis Kelce and his team's victory.

It is sickening that he would be smiling for the cameras and carrying his beer into a bar/restaurant as though nothing has happened. 

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

I don't even know what to say anymore. There aren't words. I just try to avoid all the people who believe this should be the norm because 2E. Just coming off the sentencing of Ethan Crumbley's mother (Oxford School Shooting) and the memorial for the MSU shooting, feelings are raw.

• Like 2

I don't understand why anyone attends parades (any parades) anymore.  The risks of violence at parades are just so high.

Honestly, I also don't understand why anyone who lives in a city that has won or lost a major sporting event goes out in public for about 72 hours after the event.  There's riots and shootings either way.  

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

This isn't about protest.

This is about a total lack of feeling for the dead and injured. 

Innocent people who were at that parade to celebrate Travis Kelce and his team's victory.

It is sickening that he would be smiling for the cameras and carrying his beer into a bar/restaurant as though nothing has happened. 

But that’s it. We are so deadened to this type of thing - a feeling of sorrow and hopelessness that anything will change - and in the midst of that gathering with others to talk about things can be better than sitting home alone in the dark. 

I can’t see fault in the article you posted. If I’m gonna pick a bone with TK, it’s gonna be public drunkenness as a poor example for youth. But not going to meet with friends who could have easily been among victims today, who he may want to hang closer with this evening. 

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

But that’s it. We are so deadened to this type of thing - a feeling of sorrow and hopelessness that anything will change - and in the midst of that gathering with others to talk about things can be better than sitting home alone in the dark. 

I can’t see fault in the article you posted. If I’m gonna pick a bone with TK, it’s gonna be public drunkenness as a poor example for youth. But not going to meet with friends who could have easily been among victims today, who he may want to hang closer with this evening. 

Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Going out partying shows such a tremendous lack of respect and feeling for the victims of that shooting today.

Would you feel the same way if this had been a school shooting and a few hours later, the school principal was carrying a beer and laughing and smiling as he walked into a bar to party with the teachers from the school? Would you really say that was fine, and that "gathering with others to talk about things can be better than sitting home alone in the dark" or would you condemn them for their callous heartlessness after a horrible tragedy?

If Travis Kelce wants to "gather with others to talk about things," maybe he should stop by the hospital and show some support for the injured victims and their families. But apparently, he doesn't want to do that. It might interrupt his all-important drinking and celebrating with his teammates.

Edited by Catwoman
Forgot something
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

guess he was only "heartbroken over the tragedy" until it was time to go out for dinner and party with his teammates. ONLY A FEW HOURS after a mass shooting at the parade

What did you go do after you heard of the shooting?  Cause I think I went tsk! again? and went back to whatever I was doing.  Did you hold a prayer vigil, immediately stop your whole life, and go protest at the state building, throw paint at a gun store, stop, drop and donate to Moms Demand Action?  We're 45 days into this new year and up to 46   49 shootings.  Do you stop your entire life for every one of them?  What is the proper response at this point? 

ETA:

I don't care for the "don't normalize it" arguments.  Mass shootings are by definition our NORMAL. I don't like it, but something that happens more than once a day is normal.   

Edited by Heartstrings
49 shootings, not 46.
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

What did you go do after you heard of the shooting?  Cause I think I went tsk! again? and went back to whatever I was doing.  Did you hold a prayer vigil, immediately stop your whole life, and go protest at the state building, throw paint at a gun store, stop, drop and donate to Moms Demand Action?  We're 45 days into this new year and up to 46   49 shootings.  Do you stop your entire life for every one of them?  What is the proper response at this point? 

ETA:

I don't care for the "don't normalize it" arguments.  Mass shootings are by definition our NORMAL. I don't like it, but something that happens more than once a day is normal.   

Right.  I mean, he joined other team mates in the restaurant, so are we suppose to chastise all the players who dared to eat supper after a mass shooting? 

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Ugh. 

There's a lot she might think.

• He acted out of reflex when the cop (!!!!!!) wanted a selfie
  • He honored his commitment to the restaurant, which probably had them reserve a large chunk of it and would have lost revenue
  • He isn't in a position to do anything at the moment

Honestly, though, there were 3 mass shootings yesterday in the U.S.  Can we stop being shocked by them now?  Other countries warn their citizens about going to the U.S. because of the prevalence.  Everyone is TIRED.  There is no time to regroup between each shooting.  Deaths can't be sufficiently honored.  We are numb to people going out in public and getting shot for it.  It's just a risk you take when you decide to go to school/parades/concerts/hospitals/movie theatres/malls...........you have a decent chance of being caught in a mass shooting now.  Our children prepare for it in their schools, with sweet little lockdown drills where Quiet Coyote reigns as they line up against the one wall not seen by the door. This is their normal life, that they grow up with and have never known differently.

Nobody is heartbroken over something that is as normal as breathing.  Sad, yes, but we're so far past heartbroken when we have watched dozens of cops stand around and watch schoolchildren die.

Take the mock outrage over one person's method of dealing with it and channel it elsewhere.  Everyone deals with their numbness differently.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

ETA:

This. I saw that it had happened, thought something along the lines of "awful, but not surprising." Like I said in the original post, I try not to get numb, but it's hard. I haven't even paid a lot of attention to the details. At this point it's all just a repeat of a bad show that we've seen so many times before that we have the basic script memorized. It was actually my lack of reaction that prompted me to post, I think. At this point I think I react to mass shootings like I do news of a bad car accident--something along the lines of "that's too bad, but it happens every day." I don't like not feeling shocked/saddened/outraged anymore, but protecting mental health is important. And w/o getting too political -- All the words have been said so many times, and too many people still continue to vote for politicians who value their gun industry donors over real people. Travis Kelce or anyone else abstaining from dinner or from going out anywhere -- what purpose would it serve? None at all. IMO it's kind of silly and sanctimonious to try to make it an issue. I can't get upset about people going on with their lives.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Going out partying shows such a tremendous lack of respect and feeling for the victims of that shooting today.

I totally agree. 

But the popular girls have spoken: Too many shootings to care about. And you didn’t go to a prayer vigil so you can’t criticize Kelce. Ever. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Who is on the list of people required to show adequate respect and who is not? Him? The whole team? Everyone in the parade? Everyone in the crowd? In the city? State? NFL? Nation?  Do we really need their extra thoughts and prayers at this point?

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Who is on the list of people required to show adequate respect and who is not? Him? The whole team? Everyone in the parade? Everyone in the crowd? In the city? State? NFL? Nation?  Do we really need their extra thoughts and prayers at this point?

I’d start with everyone on the stage yesterday.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pinball said:

I’d start with everyone on the stage yesterday.

Okay, let’s run with that.

When and what should they have been expected to do in the past <24hrs? The casualties hadn’t been tallied yet, so identification of victims and notification of families hadn’t been done. Investigation is ongoing, certainly involving victims who could cooperate while others were/are receiving life saving care.

AND, undoubtedly, the majority were celebratory drunk, regardless of our feelings about that.

Arrangements for the evening had already been made and probably paid for. Everyone involved was most likely very shaken up.

Are they permitted to have feelings about their own brush with a mass shooting?  
Personally, I think I would be reeling from thoughts of “It could have been me/us.” Heck, I get jumpy when anyone is rowdy at a township meeting ever since a shooting at a nearby township meeting years ago.

If the victims are owed anything, it’s justice and prevention. Not football players’ platitudes.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Okay, let’s run with that.

When and what should they have been expected to do in the past <24hrs? The casualties hadn’t been tallied yet, so identification of victims and notification of families hadn’t been done. Investigation is ongoing, certainly involving victims who could cooperate while others were/are receiving life saving care.

AND, undoubtedly, the majority were celebratory drunk, regardless of our feelings about that.

Arrangements for the evening had already been made and probably paid for. Everyone involved was most likely very shaken up.

Are they permitted to have feelings about their own brush with a mass shooting?  
Personally, I think I would be reeling from thoughts of “It could have been me/us.” Heck, I get jumpy when anyone is rowdy at a township meeting ever since a shooting at a nearby township meeting years ago.

If the victims are owed anything, it’s justice and prevention. Not football players’ platitudes.

I’m not going to run with you with anything 

• Haha 1

Let's revisit @Catwoman's outrage at Travis Kelce and put it on someone with power.  Governor Parson has offered his "thoughts and prayers" .  Given that he is a lifelong NRA member and already told Kansas City to "stay in their lane" when KC tried to enact moderate gun control....maybe we should be asking what people think about someone WHO HAS THE POWER TO CHANGE THINGS offering "thoughts and prayers" and going about their day.

Don't you know, shootings are just something we have to deal with.  Can't do anything to enact reform, it's just not possible.

Where's your outrage?  Why the flying fish do you care that TMZ made its story about what football players did while dealing with their own trauma?  Why aren't you outraged about the law enforcement taking advantage of the situation and the politician shrugging his shoulders?  WHERE'S YOUR OUTRAGE AND FEELING OF DISRESPECT HERE?????

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9

13 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Let's revisit @Catwoman's outrage at Travis Kelce and put it on someone with power.  Governor Parson has offered his "thoughts and prayers" .  Given that he is a lifelong NRA member and already told Kansas City to "stay in their lane" when KC tried to enact moderate gun control....maybe we should be asking what people think about someone WHO HAS THE POWER TO CHANGE THINGS offering "thoughts and prayers" and going about their day.

Don't you know, shootings are just something we have to deal with.  Can't do anything to enact reform, it's just not possible.

Where's your outrage?  Why the flying fish do you care that TMZ made its story about what football players did while dealing with their own trauma?  Why aren't you outraged about the law enforcement taking advantage of the situation and the politician shrugging his shoulders?  WHERE'S YOUR OUTRAGE AND FEELING OF DISRESPECT HERE?????

The first people with the power you need to address are the criminals…they have the power and choice not to start shooting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have opinions, but I only want to say that I’m sad today that this is where we are as a society. (Meaning that our country is now in this state and condition). 

Of course, being sad or expressing my opinions won’t change anything. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, pinball said:

The first people with the power you need to address are the criminals…they have the power and choice not to start shooting.

You just took the position that the "popular girls" aren't holding Kelce accountable appropriately.  Don't change your illogical stance now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pinball said:

I totally agree. 

But the popular girls have spoken: Too many shootings to care about. And you didn’t go to a prayer vigil so you can’t criticize Kelce. Ever. 

I just don’t know why we’re supposed to care what his dinner plans were, and why him specifically.  If he was out partying that means the bars and restaurants stayed open and other people were also out drinking and eating.  But we’re supposed to care about him, because…? Was it wrong for the other players to eat and party? For the other patrons?   

I, for one would LOVE if we had huge economic shut downs after every shooting.  It would be a great way to protest and draw attention to the issue.  That needs to be a planned boycott of economic activity not something that happens on the whim of a random football player.   Why are we elevating this dude to such a place of importance? Why even ask his opinion?   Let’s go talk to the lady in charge of Moms Demand Action.   

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

You just took the position that the "popular girls" aren't holding Kelce accountable appropriately.  Don't change your illogical stance now.

Literally the first time I’ve ever been accused of being a popular girl and it’s for the radical position of not caring much what the football team did.  🤣

In the rush to show how much him and Taylor don’t matter, a few people are *elevating* them to such a high position.  If you didn’t know who he was a year ago you don’t have to suddenly care now that he’s dating a pop star.  If you never cared about Taylor Swifts opinions before, why do you care now that she’s dating a football player? 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I watched an interview with the Kansas City mayor this morning and he said they had 800 police officers at the parade, plus additional security.  They had people on the grounds, on rooftops, everywhere and this still happened.   I’m from a much smaller town so I had no idea they would have so much security there. It’s unsettling that this still happened despite so much security and police presence.   

ETA: although it was civilians, not police, that took the shooter down.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 7

This got a bit tense when Catwoman asserted that his going out partying after a mass shooting further solidifies what a jerk he is. It was not about whether the whole team was partying, or all the citizens, or whomever.    It wasn’t about what groups or individuals were or weren’t being held accountable. She was only pointing out that he looked like a jerk. Him specifically.  On that point, it’s just a matter of whether we agree. 

He sure didn’t seem to be processing any “trauma”. Maybe he was. I can’t be inside his head. It just didn’t appear so, to me. 

I don’t care what he thinks, though. I’m done.  I’ve seen enough of him. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pinball said:

How does that work? We stop having laws and instead just tell criminals not to do bad things? 

2 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

I, for one would LOVE if we had huge economic shut downs after every shooting.  It would be a great way to protest and draw attention to the issue.  

Now that’s an idea with potential to effect change. I don’t know how it would logistically work—it would have to be applied to businesses that people can abruptly choose not to go to that day (like restaurants would usually fall in that category), but on the other hand, I’m not sure that’s fair to make restaurant owners the ones to bear the economic brunt every time something like this happens. It should be hitting people who refuse to enact laws that would reduce gun deaths and those who support the NRA (who is probably be single biggest entity responsible for better laws being blocked). I suppose it could be lists of businesses with owners who donate to the NRA. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Please start another thread if you want to discuss Taylor Swift or her boyfriend instead of hijacking this one. Thanks.

Well, since I’m the one who mentioned Travis Kelce specifically, I will apologize.

I honestly had no intention of hijacking the thread when I mentioned that I was absolutely shocked, disgusted, and appalled that Travis Kelce showed absolutely no concern for all of his fans who were shot, injured, killed, and just plain terrified after spending their day at a parade honoring them and his team. Instead of mourning for them, he chose instead to go out and party. Ugh.

I really had no clue that it would turn into a big debate, and I certainly had no idea how strongly people would react to Travis’s partying, how callous their reactions would be, and how they could not comprehend his responsibility to mourn for all of those fans who have supported him. His complete lack of concern for his fans says a lot about his character, and not in a good way. Even the fact that multiple children were shot at his parade wasn’t enough to sober him up and make him realize that last night was not the time to celebrate.

But apparently, according to people on this thread, mass shootings are so common now that there’s no reason for people like Travis Kelce to pause their celebrations to mourn the victims, not even when the only reason the victims were at that parade in the first place was to congratulate him and his teammates.

That is so disheartening. 😞 

I was going to respond to individual posts, but since @pinball and @Indigo Blue already said pretty much everything I would want to say anyway, I’ll just go ahead and walk away from this thread now. 

12 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Would you feel the same way if this had been a school shooting and a few hours later, the school principal was carrying a beer and laughing and smiling as he walked into a bar to party with the teachers from the school? Would you really say that was fine, and that "gathering with others to talk about things can be better than sitting home alone in the dark" or would you condemn them for their callous heartlessness after a horrible tragedy?

If Travis Kelce wants to "gather with others to talk about things," maybe he should stop by the hospital and show some support for the injured victims and their families. But apparently, he doesn't want to do that. It might interrupt his all-important drinking and celebrating with his teammates.

Why focus on the football player and not the Missouri governor who was there and turned tail and ran instead of standing with the police chief and mayor at press conferences to do his job as an elected leader? 

The football player is dating a popular singer and is paid to entertain not to be a leader during a time of crisis. The Governor on the other hand is absolutely expected to lead where was he? That is where my anger is focused, on the absent leader. 

Note: I don't know from memory how to spell Taylor Swift's boyfriend's name so just called him the football player and I think any football player could be substituted here

Edited by SHP
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heartstrings said:

tched an interview with the Kansas City mayor this morning and he said they had 800 police officers at the parade, plus additional security.

Once again, the "good guy with a gun" theory proven wrong. Again, and again and again and again. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Well, since I’m the one who mentioned Travis Kelce specifically, I will apologize.

I honestly had no intention of hijacking the thread when I mentioned that I was absolutely shocked, disgusted, and appalled that Travis Kelce showed absolutely no concern for all of his fans who were shot, injured, killed, and just plain terrified after spending their day at a parade honoring them and his team. Instead of mourning for them, he chose instead to go out and party. Ugh.

I really had no clue that it would turn into a big debate, and I certainly had no idea how strongly people would react to Travis’s partying, how callous their reactions would be, and how they could not comprehend his responsibility to mourn for all of those fans who have supported him. His complete lack of concern for his fans says a lot about his character, and not in a good way. Even the fact that multiple children were shot at his parade wasn’t enough to sober him up and make him realize that last night was not the time to celebrate.

But apparently, according to people on this thread, mass shootings are so common now that there’s no reason for people like Travis Kelce to pause their celebrations to mourn the victims, not even when the only reason the victims were at that parade in the first place was to congratulate him and his teammates.

That is so disheartening. 😞 

I was going to respond to individual posts, but since @pinball and @Indigo Blue already said pretty much everything I would want to say anyway, I’ll just go ahead and walk away from this thread now. 

QFT

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pinball said:

What a ridiculous response to me stating to hold criminals responsible for the crimes.

It just feels like a non sequitur to me. We have laws that make shooting people illegal. When people do so and are caught, they are arrested and there are punishments. So we’re already holding criminals responsible for shooting people. We have laws and punishments because criminals are criminals and they do bad things anyway. We would all benefit if those criminals could kill and maim fewer of us in the process of breaking laws.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Once again, the "good guy with a gun" theory proven wrong. Again, and again and again and again. 

Well, it's certainly true when you are in a large crowd and have no ability to take a clear shot.  A zillion cops could have been on site and they may not have had a clear shot to take.  So what we are left with are good people who physically take the shooter(s) down.  Personally, I don't believe in that notion that a good guy with a gun can/will/should take out the bad guy with a gun.  It is a pretty terrible calculation for anyone to have to take.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I don't believe in that notion that a good guy with a gun can/will/should take out the bad guy with a gun.  It is a pretty terrible calculation for anyone to have to take.

I saw the video this morning of the couple who helped take down one of the shooters and had an immediate horrible realization at the moment his wife picked up the gun and moved it away quickly that a “good guy with a gun“ showing up right at that moment could easily have taken her for one of the shooters and shot her. Horrifying thought.

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, KSera said:

I saw the video this morning of the couple who helped take down one of the shooters and had an immediate horrible realization at the moment his wife picked up the gun and moved it away quickly that a “good guy with a gun“ showing up right at that moment could easily have taken her for one of the shooters and shot her. Horrifying thought.

I wasn't sure if that's what I saw, but 100% if so.  I wouldn't touch the weapon for a million dollars.  Kicked it away yes.  Pick it up, nope.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Well, it's certainly true when you are in a large crowd and have no ability to take a clear shot.  A zillion cops could have been on site and they may not have had a clear shot to take.  So what we are left with are good people who physically take the shooter(s) down.  Personally, I don't believe in that notion that a good guy with a gun can/will/should take out the bad guy with a gun.  It is a pretty terrible calculation for anyone to have to take.

Exactly. It makes no sense --for all the reasons--yet oft repeated despite how nonsensical it is. It has the same lame ring to it as "thoughts and prayers", as though either are any sort of solution.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SHP said:

Why focus on the football player and not the Missouri governor who was there and turned tail and ran instead of standing with the police chief and mayor at press conferences to do his job as an elected leader? 

The football player is dating a popular singer and is paid to entertain not to be a leader during a time of crisis. The Governor on the other hand is absolutely expected to lead where was he? That is where my anger is focused, on the absent leader. 

Note: I don't know from memory how to spell Taylor Swift's boyfriend's name so just called him the football player and I think any football player could be substituted here

Oh, please.

I posted about one TMZ story that I saw. I was focusing on the football player because the story was about... wait for it... the football player. 

I didn't mention the governor or anyone else, because the story I posted was about the football player.

I'm sure there were plenty of people to criticize, so if you know of them, have at it. I'm not sure why I was somehow required to mention every single person who handled the situation poorly, but here we are.  🙄

I'm sure there were also a lot of heroes on the scene, as well, and not just the people who took down the shooters. One example: I saw a story about Jackson Mahomes helping calm down a kid who got separated from his mom in the shooting craziness and staying with him to make sure the kid was ok and he wasn't alone. I have heard a few negative things about Jackson Mahomes in the past, but I don't remember the details because I don't follow football players or their families. Honestly, I don't really know any specifics about him other than that he's Patrick Mahomes' brother, but if this story is true, he's going to be a real hero to at least one kid and his family.

• Like 1

The idea that mass shootings are just a part of life that we need to shut up and accept is beyond sickening to me. That said- 

Yes, absolutely, do direct outrage and disgust at government officials who have the power to change things but don’t really care enough to. But also-

I think it is absolutely appropriate to be enraged by the poor behavior of the sports players, the singers, the movie stars, and all other public figures  because they DO have the power to reach millions by standing up and speaking out and encouraging their fans to vote the worthless, do-nothing politicians out of office! Like it or not, there are many, many sheeple out there who treat the opinions of their favorite celebrities like the gospel truth. If celebrities and influencers would kick up a major ruckus and tell their followers to vote for the candidates who will change things, it would go a long way toward making positive changes in this country. Ignoring horrible things (by shrugging your shoulders and heading out to that party, for example) that *could* be changed if they used their influence is lazy, cowardly, and selfish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

The idea that mass shootings are just a part of life that we need to shut up and accept is beyond sickening to me. That said- 

I don’t think anyone said we should just accept it.  I know I didn’t.  I said they have become normal, every day events.  We can’t expect people to stop living at this point.   Enough people are voting against any kind of change that from day to day we’re all forced to just deal with it.  We can’t live in outrage every second, we can’t skip meals every time there is a shooting, we’d all starve!  

Being angry that this person or that person went to a party after a shooting is just silly when we ALL just carried on with our lives, because there is no other good option. But especially being mad at one person for being one of hundreds of other people that went to bars and restaurants at the same time, bars and restaurants that stayed open when they could have closed.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 9