Menu

January 2024: What are you reading?

Vintage81

Happy New Year!! 🎊 

Wow…2024 is actually here!!! I really enjoyed our reading threads last year, so I’m excited to continue on into this year. 

I hope in this new year everyone enjoys oodles of wonderful books. I look forward to hearing what you all are reading! 

• Like 9

Happy New Year to all!

I started the year reading the last 75ish pages of A Gentleman in Moscow (Amor Towles). This was a reread for me. I had hoped to close out 2023 by finishing it, but was too tired last night. This is one of my favorite books. So beautifully written. 

Yesterday I was feeling nostalgic for Goodreads, which I stopped using in 2022. I still have my account and still look at my TBR list occasionally, but I haven't updated in a long time. Then I remembered that I had set up an account with The Storygraph, which I must have learned about via this board. It's a place to keep track of books, write and read reviews, etc.  Does anyone use it? 

https://app.thestorygraph.com/

• Like 6

21 hours ago, marbel said:

So did I. IIRC, you and I are about the same age, give or take a couple years? Anyway, I find the older I get, the less patience I have for badly written or just otherwise uninteresting books. I read for pleasure mostly, and some for education/personal interest. If a book isn't fulfilling one of those purposes, out it goes. This is why I mostly get books from the library (paper and e-reader or audio) or buy used if possible. If a book is a keeper, I'll buy a new copy, maybe. 

Bringing this over from the previous thread. Yes to all of the above.

I also love A Gentleman in Moscow. As implausible as the story is I love the writing so much. I've read it twice and it's one I'd read again.

These are my current books, all of which I started in the last few days of 2023 -

I wanted some light stuff to start out the year. It will be a busy week as we're leaving for a 7 day group cruise to the Caribbean on Saturday.

Together Tea - A friend recommended this a few years ago and I've always meant to get to it. I started it Saturday and am enjoying it.

The Boys: A Memoir of Hollywood and Family  - by Ron and Clint Howard. I'm listening to the audiobook which is narrated by each of them in turns. It's funny how Ron Howard's voice hasn't changed since his Opie days. He sounds exactly the same. It's a sweet homage to their parents plus what it was like growing up as child actors; child actors who didn't fall down a hole thanks to their parents. Clint was not as apple pie goodie as Ron but still not tragic like many child actors of their day.

The above two are my sweet, easy books.

Operation Mincemeat- a typical Ben Macintyre nonfiction spy book. Dh l and I are both reading this one. We're sort of at the same place so we've been talking about it. He'll probably soon pass me since he only reads one book at a time while I juggle multiple books. I expect to add at least one more to my currently reading list when we're on the cruise.

I haven't started this month's book club book and I'm kind of dreading it. It's a Nora Roberts novel, Blue Smoke. No offense if you like her books but I don't. Even our de facto leader rolled her eyes (only some of us were able to see that) when the book was named. I'll try it though. I don't want to automatically dismiss it and maybe I won't start the new year by abandoning another book club book.

• Like 6

Oddly enough, I finished the book I was reading on Saturday night and started a new one last night after midnight—so that’s kind of fun! I’m branching out from my usual light, British mysteries to read None of This is True. We’ll see…

• Like 6

Finished The Kite Runner just in time to count for 2023.

Now reading the recently released Feel-Good Productivity. Also waiting for whatever fiction book pops up from my library holds next.

Hoping to read 24 books in 2024!! Got to 25 in '23, but I had a lot of downtime lately. 🙃

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, marbel said:

Happy New Year to all!

I started the year reading the last 75ish pages of A Gentleman in Moscow (Amor Towles). This was a reread for me. I had hoped to close out 2023 by finishing it, but was too tired last night. This is one of my favorite books. So beautifully written. 

I'm working on finishing this as my first book this year, too! Not a reread for me, but I've been working on it for awhile--I got lazy about reading the last bit of the year. 

I fell short of my 52 book Goodreads goal last year, so this year I set it for 41, which is one more than I managed last year.

• Like 4

I just finished Bookshops and Bonedust. This was my first foray into the "cozy fantasy" genre. I think I'll look for more this year. I love reading about magic and dragons and fantastical creatures, but the continuous battles were wearing on me.

Kid and I are reading The Marvellers. It's been described as woke Harry Potter, and I would say that is exactly what it is. Verdict is still to be determined...

Kid's book club is reading The Serpent's Secret, which we just started today. Hopefully we/she can get that done before the meeting next Wednesday!

I'm two thirds of the way through Charlie y la fábrica de chocolate. It's significantly easier than Harry Potter in Spanish. I think I'll work through more Roald Dahl books before trying to tackle more HP. My goal is one Spanish book per month. I'm thinking more Dahl and perhaps some Crónicas de Narnia...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pintosrock said:

I just finished Bookshops and Bonedust. This was my first foray into the "cozy fantasy" genre. I think I'll look for more this year. I love reading about magic and dragons and fantastical creatures, but the continuous battles were wearing on me.

Have you read his other book Legends and Lattes? That is the ultimate cozy fantasy - I read it a lot. The Tea Princess series also fits into this (starts with a coup of tea I think). 

I was able to read a lot of books in the last two weeks. I downloaded 8 to take away on our trip and then read two more. Since coming home I've downloaded a few more but back at work now. I enjoyed Divine Rivals by Rebecca Ross which is a YA fantasy about 2 war correspondents during a divine war - I've downloaded the sequel now. I read a Korean fantasy called the Dallergut Dream Department Store which was a fun read but a bit light weight. I also read The Witchwood Knot which was a gothic fantasy/romance by Olivia Atwater - I recommend this author, she's very thoughtful. The romance is always very mild but the ideas about social justice within a regency/victorian setting are really interesting. 

I am back to re-reading Lois McMasters Bujold and saw excitedly that a new Penric will be coming out this month. For those who haven't read them, the Penric & Desdemona books are a wonderful series of novellas that she writes exclusively for ebooks. They are very deep, brilliantly written and positive fantasies. Brilliant for your vocabulary, she always uses very interesting words!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I read Nora Robert’s The Inheritance yesterday. I knew it was going to be a trilogy but didn’t expect an abrupt cliff hanger. I read on the kindle and wasnt checking page count. I guess I wait for Nov 2024 and Nov 2025. 

• Like 4

On 1/1/2024 at 2:47 AM, lovinmyboys said:

Non-fiction: Enchantment by Katherine May

This title sounded nice so I looked it up, then downloaded the ebook from my library system! I've read two chapters and am enjoying it. 

"When I want to describe how I feel right now, the word I reach for the most is discombobulated. It captures perfectly my state of mind: confused, disoriented, out of sorts."   Sing it, Sister! That is me right now! 

Today's mail will bring me two new books:  The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, and Atomic Habits by James Clear.  For those who have read both: which should come first? 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, marbel said:

Happy New Year to all!

Yesterday I was feeling nostalgic for Goodreads, which I stopped using in 2022. I still have my account and still look at my TBR list occasionally, but I haven't updated in a long time. Then I remembered that I had set up an account with The Storygraph, which I must have learned about via this board. It's a place to keep track of books, write and read reviews, etc.  Does anyone use it? 

https://app.thestorygraph.com/

I've used Storygraph. As I mentioned in the wrap-up thread, I love stats and they have the best! Plus really cool graphs and charts! Unfortunately, I'm pretty bad about updating it regularly. I have the Goodreads app on my phone and iPad, so I used that because it's so much faster and easier for me. However, the stats that Goodreads provides aren't nearly as good as Storygraph. You can import your Goodreads data into Storygraph, but apparently that can only be done one time, which is kind of a bummer. It would be nice if this could be done every year, or whenever.

• Like 3

I have that Stephen King brick on my nightstand, but before opening it I have to quickly catch up on what I was supposed to read over the break for my book study group. 

The Supper of the Lamb: A Culinary Reflection by Robert Capon. 

“From a passionate and talented chef who also happens to be an Episcopalian priest comes this surprising and thought-provoking treatise on everything from prayer to poetry to puff pastry. In The Supper of the Lamb , Capon talks about festal and ferial cooking, emerging as an inspirational voice extolling the benefits and wonders of old-fashioned home cooking in a world of fast food and prepackaged cuisine.”

Charis in the World of Wonders by Carly Youmans

“Clambering into the branches of a tree, a young woman flees flaming arrows and massacre. She will struggle for survival: scour the wilderness for shelter, strive and seek for a new family and a setting where she can belong. For Charis, the world is a maze of hazards. And even if she survives, it is no simple matter to nest among her own kind--the godly, those called Puritans. She may desire companionship, may even fall in love with a man, and may try the strength of female heroism in ways no longer familiar to women in our century.“

Mad at myself for waiting to get to these, we resume meeting mid-January so I’ll likely be sitting myself at the coffee shop and/or library the next few days for some focused reading time! I hope I like them. 😂

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Pintosrock said:

perhaps some Crónicas de Narnia...

Pintosrock - just wanted to let you know that I'm doing this exact same thing with the Chronicles in German.  It's a great way to practice a language, since you have seven books with presumably the same translator.  Good luck, and have fun!

(I'll tell you, though,: Peter's extra-formal letter to Miraz in Prince Caspian may give you a linguistic workout!  It did for me!) 

• Like 4

Finished a really bad read for my Dec book club -- Home Sweet Christmas -- cutesie saccharin unreality that I only finished to complain about it in the monthly discussion. 8-)

Rereading some old Dave Drake novels (military sci fi) since he passed on in December.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Quarter Note said:

(I'll tell you, though,: Peter's extra-formal letter to Miraz in Prince Caspian may give you a linguistic workout!  It did for me!) 

Just like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - the Oompa-Loompas' songs are much more challenging than the rest of the book!

• Like 2

I just finished this as an audio book.  Story of a widow from India who comes to the US in order to better understand her deceased son.   Enjoyable.   I learned more about India and the culture there.

IMG_5614.jpeg

• Like 6

My first book of the year is a textbook. 😂

Medieval Europe: A Short History by Hollister and Bennett. 

It was actually a pretty enjoyable read. Only about 400 pages, a nice pace, and interesting anecdotes. I’m teaching medieval history this year and this will serve as a nice spine to base my lessons around. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, The Governess said:

My first book of the year is a textbook. 😂

Medieval Europe: A Short History by Hollister and Bennett. 

It was actually a pretty enjoyable read. Only about 400 pages, a nice pace, and interesting anecdotes. I’m teaching medieval history this year and this will serve as a nice spine to base my lessons around. 

Oh, one of my favorite times/places to study!! 

I finished Assistant to the Villain. Unfortunately, book 2 will not be out until fall of 2024, oh, well... Looking at my TBR pile, I am thinking maybe Hawaii by Michener, but I have to look and see if anyone's waiting for my book to return at the library first. I work at the library, so I have unlimited checkout time (which is a very dangerous perk for me LOL!), but I try to be cognizant of people waiting in line behind me...

• Like 5

10 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Oh, one of my favorite times/places to study!! 

I finished Assistant to the Villain. Unfortunately, book 2 will not be out until fall of 2024, oh, well... Looking at my TBR pile, I am thinking maybe Hawaii by Michener, but I have to look and see if anyone's waiting for my book to return at the library first. I work at the library, so I have unlimited checkout time (which is a very dangerous perk for me LOL!), but I try to be cognizant of people waiting in line behind me...

Quoting myself - I started How to Stop Time by Matt Haig. I forgot it was still hanging out in my library bin.

• Like 5

I'm jumping in for 2024, thank you for keeping this thread going.  I just finished All That She Carried by Tiya Miles, it's now one of my all.time.favorite. books.  Over Christmas I read Wild Girls by the same author which was interesting but more of a series of essays. I was given Prequel by Rachel Maddow and will start that today.  

On 1/2/2024 at 8:22 PM, 4kidlets4me said:

I have her book Wintering and I love it. I'll have to check this one out.

I read this in early December and loved it.  Deeply resonant with my current place in life.

I also finally read The Old Ways by Robert McFarlane and now need to order every possible book he's written. My sister sent me two links about the Lost Words song and project which her chorus had learned.  Dd and I are learning it now.

From the article: Under pressure, Oxford University Press revealed a list of the entries it no longer felt to be relevant to a modern-day childhood. The deletions included acorn, adder, ash, beech, bluebell, buttercup, catkin, conker, cowslip, cygnet, dandelion, fern, hazel, heather, heron, ivy, kingfisher, lark, mistletoe, nectar, newt, otter, pasture and willow. The words taking their places in the new edition included attachment, block-graph, blog, broadband, bullet-point, celebrity, chatroom, committee, cut-and-paste, MP3 player and voice-mail.
Edited by Eos
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Those are some interesting stats. I can't believe over half of those surveyed only read 1 book or less! If people aren't reading why does it take 6 weeks to get a hold from the library!!

Also how are there households who don't own any physical books? That's crazy to me.

Meanwhile, I've started 5 books since the 1st!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, 4kidlets4me said:

Meanwhile, I've started 5 books since the 1st!

Same!

Finished 2 so far:

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo. Recommended by @Grace Hopper last month. I really enjoyed this. Plus, after I finished I realized that one of the categories on this year's Winter Read at our library is "read a book that someone recommended to you" so I'm counting this.

Flop Dead Gorgeous: an Andy Carpenter Mystery by David Rosenfelt. I'd listened to another book in this series during Christmas, so when I saw this on the New Book shelf I grabbed it. As expected, it was fun and light. As nearly as I can tell it doesn't make a difference what order you read this series in. I'm not interested in reading another of these any time soon, though.

Which is probably good since I have at least 3 other books started, plus at church we're doing the "Read a chapter of the New Testament each weekday, and all the sermons and Sunday School lessons will coordinate with this" thing again this year (there are 260 chapters in the New Testament, and slightly more weekdays than that in 2024).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GailV said:

Same!

Finished 2 so far:

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo. Recommended by @Grace Hopper last month. I really enjoyed this. Plus, after I finished I realized that one of the categories on this year's Winter Read at our library is "read a book that someone recommended to you" so I'm counting this.

Flop Dead Gorgeous: an Andy Carpenter Mystery by David Rosenfelt. I'd listened to another book in this series during Christmas, so when I saw this on the New Book shelf I grabbed it. As expected, it was fun and light. As nearly as I can tell it doesn't make a difference what order you read this series in. I'm not interested in reading another of these any time soon, though.

Which is probably good since I have at least 3 other books started, plus at church we're doing the "Read a chapter of the New Testament each weekday, and all the sermons and Sunday School lessons will coordinate with this" thing again this year (there are 260 chapters in the New Testament, and slightly more weekdays than that in 2024).

I’m glad you enjoyed the Acevedo book! And fun it fit a category for you.  love the format of that book. I think I already mentioned The House on Mango Street, if you liked Poet X I feel you’d also like Mango Street, too.

i just sidetracked from the King novel to get in a quick read called Orbiting Jupiter. It’s a youth novel by Gary D Schmidt. Very touching foster teen story. I tell ya though, these titles for youth are grittier than many of the adult novels I read. 

• Like 4

Today I finished Better Than People (Garnet Run Book 1) by Roan Parrish which is a contemporary romance featuring an artist with many pets who has broken his leg and a graphic designer with anxiety who loves animals. The first man advertises for a pet walker which is how they meet. I enjoyed it. (Significant adult content) ///

"It’s not long before their pet-centric arrangement sparks a person-centric desire…

Simon Burke has always preferred animals to people. When the countdown to adopting his own dog is unexpectedly put on hold, Simon turns to the PetShare app to find the fluffy TLC he’s been missing. Meeting a grumpy children’s book illustrator who needs a dog walker isn’t easy for the man whose persistent anxiety has colored his whole life, but Jack Matheson’s menagerie is just what Simon needs.

Four dogs, three cats and counting. Jack’s pack of rescue pets is the only company he needs. But when a bad fall leaves him with a broken leg, Jack is forced to admit he needs help. That the help comes in the form of the most beautiful man he’s ever seen is a complicated, glorious surprise.

Being with Jack—talking, walking, 
making out—is a game changer for Simon. And Simon’s company certainly…eases the pain of recovery for Jack. But making a real relationship work once Jack’s cast comes off will mean compromise, understanding and lots of love."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I finished my first book of the year... 

What the River Knows by Isabel Ibañez: "Bolivian-Argentinian Inez Olivera belongs to the glittering upper society of nineteenth century Buenos Aires, and like the rest of the world, the town is steeped in old world magic that’s been largely left behind or forgotten. Inez has everything a girl might want, except for the one thing she yearns the most: her globetrotting parents—who frequently leave her behind.

When she receives word of their tragic deaths, Inez inherits their massive fortune and a mysterious guardian, an archeologist in partnership with his Egyptian brother-in-law. Yearning for answers, Inez sails to Cairo, bringing her sketch pads and an ancient golden ring her father sent to her for safekeeping before he died. But upon her arrival, the old world magic tethered to the ring pulls her down a path where she soon discovers there’s more to her parent’s disappearance than what her guardian led her to believe.

With her guardian’s infuriatingly handsome assistant thwarting her at every turn, Inez must rely on ancient magic to uncover the truth about her parent’s disappearance—or risk becoming a pawn in a larger game that will kill her."

I really enjoyed the Egyptian setting and anything to do with ancient Egypt is always appealing to me. The characters and the story were all fine, although it was a bit slow-moving from what I was expecting (it was advertised as The Mummy meets Death on the Nile). However, two main things bothered me. One, the magic that was present wasn't explained at all. It was just there when necessary. And two, the ending. I don't mind a cliffhanger, but this one was very confusing and irritating. Shouldn't the end leave me wanting more, not mad because I don't know what the heck just happened?!?! Anywho, I liked it enough to continue, I think, so hopefully book two continues on a better path. (3.5 stars)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

Oh @GailV I also just picked up a copy of the First Nations version of the New Testament, recommended by a friend. I always like to read different versions of texts I’m familiar with, so this will be an interesting addition to the options. 

I got the Jewish Annotated New Testament for this read-through - love Amy-Jill Levine. Last time we did this I used The Source by A. Nyland, which was very focussed on how Greek is translated.

Of course, now I'm instantly convinced that the First Nations version is something I absolutely need. Hmmm....

• Like 4

I’m reading Women Who Run With the Wolves for book club. It is an exercise in endurance. I’m trying to open my mind but the author is absolutely grating on my nerves. It’s like she has a thesaurus and a plan to use every word in it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

50 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m reading Women Who Run With the Wolves for book club. It is an exercise in endurance. I’m trying to open my mind but the author is absolutely grating on my nerves. It’s like she has a thesaurus and a plan to use every word in it. 

Ok I shouldn’t laugh because the book is torturing you, but this statement is hilarious!

• Like 7

15 hours ago, GailV said:

I've only read the first in the series so far and enjoyed it.  I have read that they don't need to be read in order and I would like to read at least one more eventually.  It's totally different than books I usually read and enjoy.  

I'm reading Corrections in Ink: A Memoir.  

• Like 4

On 1/4/2024 at 10:56 PM, Eos said:

I also finally read The Old Ways by Robert McFarlane and now need to order every possible book he's written. My sister sent me two links about the Lost Words song and project which her chorus had learned.  Dd and I are learning it now.

Wonderful author; I found him via his mentor Roger Deakin whose book Waterlog I picked up one day. I highly recommend his work alongside McFarlane's books. You can listen to a lot of the Lost Words songs on youtube and I highly recommend the picture book which is enormous and beautiful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MaryCrawley said:

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. 

I really liked this book.  I loved all of the books by him that I've read and think it's interesting how different they all are (IMO).  

• Like 3

I finished reading aloud The Cay by Theodore Taylor to my younger kids. This was my second time through and I enjoyed it again. I've never read the prequel/sequel, so I might try to read that this year. My hesitation is that I don't actually like Phillip. I'm not sure I want to hear any more about him.

• Like 5

I just finished Prequel by Rachel Maddow - I liked the interesting and hidden history but her writing style is very colloquial, which can get tiresome.  Looked through a landscaping textbook from ds for Christmas - good ideas, not really a reader.  

• Like 5

Earlier today I finished the contemporary romance Time to Shine by Rachel Reid. I enjoyed this story featuring two professional hockey players both of whom have baggage. (Adult content)

"For Landon Stackhouse, being called up from the Calgary farm team is exciting and terrifying, even if, as the backup goalie, he rarely leaves the bench. A quiet loner by nature, Landon knows he gives off strong “don’t talk to me” vibes. The only player who doesn’t seem to notice is Calgary’s superstar young winger, Casey Hicks.

Casey treats Landon like an old friend, even though they’ve only interacted briefly in the past. He’s endlessly charming and completely laid-back in a way that Landon absolutely can’t relate to. They couldn’t have less in common, but Landon needs a place to live that’s not a hotel room and Casey has just bought a massive house—and hates being alone.

As roommates, Casey refuses to be defeated by Landon’s one-word answers. As friends, Landon comes to notice a few things about Casey, like his wide, easy smile and sparkling green-blue eyes. Spending the holidays together only intensifies their bromance-turned-romance. But as the new year approaches, the countdown to the end of Landon’s time in Calgary is on."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 2:01 PM, mmasc said:

Oddly enough, I finished the book I was reading on Saturday night and started a new one last night after midnight—so that’s kind of fun! I’m branching out from my usual light, British mysteries to read None of This is True. We’ll see…

I’m listening to None of this is True right now and enjoying it. The podcast aspect goes great as an audio book. Not my usual genre either.

• Like 5

Three old Agatha Christies and New England Bound by Wendy Warren.  The Maritime History of Maine by William Rowe.  Narrative of the Life and Adventures of Theodore Wells by Theodore Wells.

• Like 5