Menu

Teen Boy gift ideas

kirstenhill

DS14 is having such a hard time thinking of anything he wants for Christmas.  My mom likes to buy physical things (as opposed to memberships or experiences or cash/gift cards).  My older two kids can still think of clothes they might like, or they come up with practical things they need (for example, DS16 needs a suitcase of his own, as he is taking more trips where he ends up borrowing one of ours, and needs something more sturdy than an ikea duffle bag). 

DS14 can't really think of anything all that practical he needs, he is asking for one or two new shirts, but is pretty well set with clothes right now. He is asking for a hydration back pack (for hiking/biking) and a hammock.   We still need a couple more ideas for him (also because his birthday comes relatively soon after Christmas, so if we don't think of more things, in two months we are still just going to need more ideas). 

DS14's hobbies are guitar playing (doesn't really need anything for that), reading (he mostly likes to check out library books - says he doesn't want to read most books more than once anyway, plus we own a ton of books already), and drawing (he already has an apple pencil and procreate, and is already set on his preferred paper and pencils).  

Any other brilliant ideas? He could get a suitcase too along with DS16, but I think it would seem just like a thing to throw in the closet for now, as he isn't doing any travel right now that he can't just use his ikea duffle bag for. 

• Like 1

Just now, fairfarmhand said:

Last year my ds asked for a rubber chicken and gummy worms.🤷🏽‍♀️

my sil bought him a 5 lb bag of gummy worms along with the (super annoying) rubber chicken. 

I think when this kid gets his braces off, he would be thrilled to get a 5lb bag of gummy worms... 😁  I took DD for a fancy caramel apple when she got hers off, but I think gummy candy is going to be his request all the way! 

what about:  (stuff he doesn't consider "necessary", but are nice accessories.)
a kit to hold all his art/sketching supplies?

peripherals for reading.  book light, book marks, book covers, book bags, etc.

duct tape and glow in the dark paint were still hits at that age  . . . . 

• Like 1

Since you mentioned biking:

Bike tool

Patch kit

Pump

Feedbag (my favorite one https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/cockpit/MountainFeedbag)

Does he play board games or card games?

Strings for guitar

Savings bond 😁

Silver dollar

CD- certificate of deposit not audio. Lol 

Cheaper might be Favorite snack food like beef jerky or cheeses or cookies. 

• Like 2

It's the teen years where I tend to get kits to develop new hobbies or interests.  Youngest ds is getting a leather working kit for his birthday.  We've gotten him a build-your-own-clock and a few other things over the past few years.  It's our way of helping him branch out in low-key ways to see if he does like something else.

• Like 1

A new wallet- last year we got our DS a nice leather wallet that will last him a long time

Converse sneakers?- my DS likes these and you can customize the patterns on their website. I got my DS a pair with dinosaurs last year and they've held up really well. I'm going to get another pair this year. Since they are custom they do take awhile to ship so I'd order soon.

Retro stuff- my DS is really into retro video games, vinyl, film camera's etc. My kid could just be weird but his friends are also into all of this. Last year we got him a record player and several records we will be adding on to his collection this year. We also have a retro video game store and have picked up the original Nintendo, Game Cube etc and games for them as well. 

A nice watch- again maybe just my weird kid but he loves his. Or a smartwatch

Subscription box- I know I've seen a snacks from around the world that look fun

Manga books- these tend to have a ton of books in a series so you could do a nice box set

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

One of the first things on this list is a mini- fridge.  Huge hit here!  Check the measurements carefully though.  If you want anything higher than a soda can to fit you have to look at the layout and height (we had to return a few).

Edited by Tenaj
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2023 at 4:58 PM, history-fan said:

Lego set

He's not super into Legos any more, unfortunately.  We have a ton, and sometimes he still builds, but has said he doesn't really want new sets.

On 11/8/2023 at 5:11 PM, Kareni said:

Perhaps a biking shirt?

Biking gloves?

Biking tools?

Regards,

Kareni

I didn't mention it, but he does mountain bike in the summer/fall, and is on a team along with his brothers - but the problem is that DH has wanted the boys to be very "outfitted" for the sport and buys them most of the gear they need at the start of each season, or the younger two get hand-me-downs from the older if he has outgrown them.  The water back-pack he doesn't have, but it always seems like the boys already have everything they need in that realm. 

On 11/8/2023 at 8:29 PM, ScoutTN said:

If someone gave him $50, what would he do with it? 

My teen boy is hard to buy for too.

I feel like right now he would save it...he has a bunch of cash saved up from some previous gifts (though he did spend a lot of his saved money on a new guitar last spring, which we split the cost of with him!).  He also might like to spend it on something non-tangible like a class or camp.  I would be fine doing that as a gift from us, and I might do it, but my mom has been not super open to that type of gift.  Or if she spends money on that, she still wants to buy stuff too.

On 11/8/2023 at 9:45 PM, frogger said:

Feedbag (my favorite one https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/cockpit/MountainFeedbag)

Does he play board games or card games?

The feedbag looks cool! We have a lot of bike gear, but I haven't seen anything like that!  He does like board games, but we own quite a few already (I tend to buy them as gifts - some years everyone got a board game).   DS14 right now feels like he doesn't get to play his favorites as often as he would like, because we have so many.  😁  But I definitely keep seeing new games that look like fun, so if we run out of ideas, that is definitely my go-to.

On 11/8/2023 at 10:11 PM, athena1277 said:

Since he likes to draw, how about one of those 3D printing pens?

He got one for his birthday last year!

16 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Does he have a nice case or strap for his guitar? 

That's a good idea - he has a really plain strap, but maybe he would like a nicer or fancier one!

Thanks for all the ideas so far!

• Like 1