Menu

Epoch?

Katy

10 hours ago, Terabith said:

I always said eh-pick, but I'm from the South and maybe not the most reliable pronunciator.  Especially of Pokemon.

I'm from the south and I say long e-pock. I don't recall ever hearing it pronounced anywhere (in person or on TV/media) a different way.

Epic is short e-pick.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, for me they are both eh-pick.  I always thought they were homophones.

I’m pretty sure I first learned the word in elementary school and that’s how the teacher pronounced it. I remember being confused by the spelling but I don’t think I ever looked it up, which means it was probably before 4th grade when we switched to dictionaries with origins. 

21 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

eh-puhk  = epoch for US northern midwesterners and for US southerners that I know.

eh-pick  = epic

I had never heard EE-pahk until I heard of the Epoch news service. I suppose if I heard it mentioned in a British history documentary, I might have heard EE-pock there, too.

This is my experience. I am somewhere between eh-pukh and eh-pic if I say it without thinking about it. It does sound different than epic. 

• Like 1