Menu

What is your 45 minutes or less Wow meal?

saraha

Idk that I have a Wow meal, but two easy ones that my peeps really like and I would serve for company are grilled salmon and pork chops in red wine cream sauce. 

1. Sprinkle salmon with garlic powder snd lemon pepper. Marinate in: 1/4 c oil, 1/3 c orange juice, 1/3 c soy sauce, 1/3 c brown sugar for several hours. Grill.

2. Brown chops in butter, 4 mins per side. Remove from pan. Sauté chopped shallots and 1 medium clove of minced garlic in butter til soft and golden. Add 1 c red wine and cook til reduced by half. Stir in 1/2 c heavy cream snd 1 T butter. Season with S&P to taste. Add chops back to pan and cook a few mins. Serve with a starchy side like egg noodles or mashed potatoes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is one of those recipes that went viral a couple of years ago, and it definitely has wow factor. I still love it. My dd made it for me first. Don't use chicken breasts. They will be stringy and tough. Use boneless skinless thighs. Serve over pasta or with rice. It's so easy. There are other versions that call for sun-dried tomatoes or other more exotic ingredients if you want to compare. Just search "Tuscan chicken". 

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19636089/creamy-tuscan-chicken-recipe/

Adding one more because I just made it... This has been in my rotation for many years. My quick cheats are just used canned or frozen corn. Do 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1 can of Rotel in place of tomatillos. It's not a thick traditional chili--more like taco soup. If you want to thicken it up a little, add 4 ounces of cream cheese, cut in chunks--stir in at the end to melt. You can add toppings like sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, etc.  I've made it for get togethers, and everyone seems to really like it.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13010/white-bean-chicken-chili/

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One more. A southern classic. Just cook the chicken ahead of time to reduce "day of" prep time. One of my most requested dishes by my kids and their friends. 🙂

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/poppy-seed-chicken

Pro tip: Don't pulverize the Ritz Crackers. Leave some bigger chunks. Makes for a crispier, heartier topping. Serve with an easy bagged salad, steamed broccoli, Sister Schubert's rolls if you can get them. 

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saraha said:

I am working on trying new things, but I have very little time. Do you have a 45 minutes or less meal that packs a serious punch? I live outside a small town. Our most exotic thing is avocados. Sometimes. 

Thanks!

You mentioned "wow" and "punch". Are you looking for something to serve guests? That is what I was envisioning. 

6 hours ago, popmom said:

You mentioned "wow" and "punch". Are you looking for something to serve guests? That is what I was envisioning. 

Mostly looking for flavor. So had the opportunity to eat in the cafeteria of two different colleges last week after having read lots of complaints on their parent Facebook pages.
One college cafeteria was definitely better than the other, and as a school with a larger than I expected international student population, it had two dishes on order that dh and I couldn’t wait to try. As we ate, I took notice that most of the kids around us opted for the pizza or burger option. Not many seemed to have taken the international option. At this school, it was all you can eat, so no penalty for trying and not liking something. The dishes dh and I tried were phenomenal. Dd said she usually tries the “Chinese “ food option, but has never tried any of the “Indian” food.

The other cafeteria with a much smaller international student population had an all you care to eat in 30 minutes setup. Definitely less options than the first, burgers, chicken sandwich, small salad bar, pizza, subs and one little section where there was jambalaya and steak teriyaki. Dd said last year, there was a chipotle like section and an Asian food section but they are gone now. Same story. Most students around us were eating the standard American junk foods and a plate of salad. Both dds said they usually try the “Chinese”food that’s offered, at least a little. My one daughter tried the jambalaya but likes mine better. The other wasn’t interested in trying the Indian food and won’t try anything that doesn’t have meat in it.

So I could see where the types of foods they grew up eating limited what they were willing to try, as well as seeing tons of other college students walk by some gorgeous looking food to eat slices of frozen pizza and fries.
We have always lived on a small farm outside a small town with very limited grocery options. The year we started growing okra, we all felt very exotic! I didn’t learn to cook til after I was married, so especially my oldest kids had limited options when they were younger. We have no exotic ingredients in our small town store. We only have avocados once in a while and my older kids were teenagers when they had one for the first time. We don’t have shallots or fresh herbs or pitas or any seafood that’s not frozen. Haha we do t even have Romain lettuce except in bag! 

They haven’t eaten in too many non American restaurants. The Chinese buffet like once a year and one time we ate at a Lebanese restaurant. These things are an hour away, so not an option unless we make a concerted effort. Plus, funds have always been very limited so we always chose restaurants that we knew everyone would enjoy. Over the years I added chicken shawarma, jambalaya, steak teriyaki and recently a curry made from a jar. It was sad to hear all the parents complaining about the food at the colleges and then go there and see the kids ignoring the fabulous looking food for frozen pizza. I guess if my kid only ate frozen pizza, I would be upset too. But what is the incentive for the school to make other things if they go to waste? Even dd at the school with the international students said most of them choose the American food because the international food doesn’t taste like home and since they are in America, they want to eat American food. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Even my dd that worked at a summer camp this summer said that the nights there were not campers, the kitchen cooked beautiful meals that dd had never tried before, but when campers were there it was standard American kid food, otherwise there were complaints and a lot of waste.

So, I decided to widen my and the ones still living at homes palates a little more, and thought what better place to ask than here!

• Like 7

7 hours ago, popmom said:

One more. A southern classic. Just cook the chicken ahead of time to reduce "day of" prep time. One of my most requested dishes by my kids and their friends. 🙂

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/poppy-seed-chicken

Pro tip: Don't pulverize the Ritz Crackers. Leave some bigger chunks. Makes for a crispier, heartier topping. Serve with an easy bagged salad, steamed broccoli, Sister Schubert's rolls if you can get them. 

I made this yesterday. I use a rotisserie chx and make the sauce instead of using canned soup. Not quite a quick, but still easy. Yummy! 

• Like 2

Most of the meals I make are 45 minutes or less, but here is ds's lunch menu for next week (prepared first thing in the morning):

Tues: beef skewers, pearl couscous with dried apricot, castellvetrano olives, and slivered almonds, cucumbers, cheese, and a snack cake

Wednesday: (early release) turkey/pepper jack/avocado/spinach/tomato/dijon on toasted 'everything' bagel, berries, chips, cookies

Thursday: pesto tortellini, bruschetta, sliced cold chicken, orange, pudding cup

Friday: chicken/mango/greek yogurt/spinach wrap, cucumber salad, goat cheese and crackers, granola bar

Dinners those nights:

Tuesday: burrito bowls with the option of tacos: black beans, ground meat, pico, avocado, seasoned rice, pickled red onion, etc.

Wednesday: chickpea curry, coconut rice, na'an, cucucmber/tomato salad

Thursday: sesame chicken with bok choy, carrots, onion, jasmine rice, Trader Joe's potstickers

Friday: TBD, but most likely a pasta dish since few will be home.  I'm thinking cacio e pepe just because it's easy and quick, and I'll use up the rest of the tomatoes.

Also, my kid will absolutely eat his lunch every day and get in line for the pizza or burger meal they serve.  He'll complain about it, but I literally do not have a lunch box big enough for this child to take to satisfy him.😄  My only goal right now is to meet the four groups: acid, heat, salt, fat, or at least as many as I can get in one meal.

• Like 1

Pasta with lemon, asparagus, prosciutto.  (Link to My Recipes, though I originally found  this on 177 Milk Street. Note: it calls for fresh fettucine, but I use boxed and adjust the cooking time.)

Garlicky chicken with lemon anchovy sauce (New York Times)

Pan Fried Ginger Noodles  (Splendid Table)

Mongolian Meatball Ramen (Delish)

ETA: check out the Modern Proper for lots of dinner ideas that incorporate different flavors. They wrote a great cookbook too.

https://themodernproper.com/

Edited by marbel
  • Thanks 2

I didn't read all the replies...two things I make for guests that get raved over but are actually really easy are 

#1 making tacos with shredded beef instead of ground beef or chicken (technically more than 45 minutes, but step one is just throwing it in the crock pot or instant pot in the morning).  

#2 a soup kind of like this: https://www.cookingclassy.com/chicken-avocado-lime-soup/

I usually start with either rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken.  Basically, I serve the broth (chicken stock, canned tomatoes, seasonings) and the end of a buffet line.   I make an instant pot full of rice, and then chicken, avocados, canned black beans, chips, cheese, are all set out and each person layers their own bowl, and ends with pouring broth on it.

My kids say this is one of their favorite meals but it is so easy!!! 

• Like 3

For example in @Rosie_0801’s recipe, it calls for long red chili. Not sure what that is exactly, assuming it’s spicy, but our store only sells green peppers, some times red. The sweet kind.

another recipe called for rice noodles. None of those either. The store does have a variety of hot sauce and the usual McCormick spices. No fresh ginger etc. The “International “ aisle is half an aisle with Lachoy mixes, tortillas and taco sauce and seasoning, refried beans, a couple different kinds of rice, dried beans and hot sauces 😆

Not a lot in the way of different kinds of olives, but a ton of pickle varieties.

I am just very limited locally and don’t have time to drive 45 minutes out of my way to the Kroger’s.

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, saraha said:

For example in @Rosie_0801’s recipe, it calls for long red chili. Not sure what that is exactly, assuming it’s spicy, but our store only sells green peppers, some times red. The sweet kind.

They mean a red cayenne pepper, which is too much for me, so I use a pinch of chilli powder which you can probably find in the spice aisle of your supermarket. Leave it out if you can't find or don't like it.

Home cooks everywhere make do with what they have. If you can't get one kind of noodle, modify a recipe to use another.

My local supermarket isn't too bad for a small country town, but I might die of boredom if I didn't do a buy up every few months at the ethnic grocers elsewhere.

You can order dried spices. Often they are cheaper than the glass bottles found in the grocery store. 

Even where I live (not a tiny town) the fresh chile selection isn't great. (Or I can't just buy one, or they are too $$$ for me.)  I sub powder as Rosie suggested.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, saraha said:

So, I decided to widen my and the ones still living at homes palates a little more, and thought what better place to ask than here!

You might work backwards, going to the grocery store (or your yard) and seeing what you have available then googling for what you can do with it. For instance we have a lot of deer here and the occasional squirrel or small bird. You might have interesting greens that grow natively where you are that you could eat. You could walk the aisles of your store and see what they have that you haven't tried yet. 

It's easy to order a bottle of spice to try a new flavor, but you don't know what you want till you consider what meat/protein/vegetable you're trying to put it on.  It's more expensive to order heavy things in jars/cans, so that's why I'm suggesting you start with figuring out what spices you would want to try.

https://www.youtube.com/@helenrennie  See if this link works. It's to Helen Rennie's youtube page, and she tends to show techniques and flavors you could try, things that are not protein specific. It might give you inspiration for what you'd like to try. 

9 minutes ago, saraha said:

another recipe called for rice noodles. None of those either. The store does have a variety of hot sauce and the usual McCormick spices. No fresh ginger etc. The “International “ aisle is half an aisle with Lachoy mixes, tortillas and taco sauce and seasoning, refried beans, a couple different kinds of rice, dried beans and hot sauces 😆

Around here we have Kroger, but I think out west it's Fred Meyer. They do online grocery ordering. Walmart and Target do this too. So if you can get packages, you can get some of the more exotic, haha, ingredients. You could order types of beans, pasta, thin rice cakes (LOVE these), spices, etc. 

https://www.penzeys.com/  here, Penzey's has spices AND recipes! See what calls to you. Yum, yum. 

The other way to get adventurous is to travel. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, saraha said:

Not a lot in the way of different kinds of olives, but a ton of pickle varieties.

I am just very limited locally and don’t have time to drive 45 minutes out of my way to the Kroger’s.

I’ve gotten lots of more exotic spices from Amazon, fwiw. Easy peasy. I’m sure you could get rice noodles and whatnot delivered to your home. Fresh stuff is harder, yes, but substituting dry spices like @Rosie_0801 suggested often works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are there any ethnic stores out near where the Kroger is?  Could you make a list of several things you want to try, compile your ingredient needs, and make a trip out there when you have time?  I have gone to ethnic grocery stores with a list to build my pantry, and people were usually very happy to answer questions and otherwise offer help. 

Fresh ginger will keep in the freezer - I feel that's one thing that doesn't translate as well using dried for some reason, which is not to say it won't work at all. Dried herbs and spices can be tightly packed and frozen too, for that matter.  I also have frozen chiles when I couldn't use up what I had. I'd just slit them in half, remove the seeds, flatten them out, and stuff into ziplock type freezer bags. They won't work for something fresh, like pico de gallo, but for cooked things they are just fine. 

I've not ordered from them but I've  heard very good things about https://www.spicewallabrand.com/  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pressed & cubes tofu or chicken

Onion, mushrooms, carrots, cabbage, all thinly sliced. Or whatever veggies you want. Green beans, kale, broccoli, peas...

Cooked rice or rice noodles soaked in hot water (soak while you're cooking everything else)

Fresh cilantro, chopped

Diced pineapple 

Sauteed all the veggies except the cabbage in a little oil with a couple tablespoons EACH of minced garlic and fresh ginger. Cook until the onions start to brown a bit. Add in the tofu or chicken. 

Whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, pepper, salt, chili powder, and smoked paprika and pour over the veggies. If using chicken, cook until the meat is no longer pink. 

Mix in the noodles if using. Or serve and pour veggie mix on top of rice. 

Top with pineapple and cilantro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, saraha said:

Okay, so let me see what I can come up with.  For dinner the other night I did cheese tortellini in a lemon cream sauce. 

Ingredients:

• Frozen tortellini (or any filled pasta)
  • 1 bag or box of fresh spinach (I haven't tried with frozen, but may work)
  • olive oil
  • garlic, finely minced
  • 1c heavy cream
  • vegetable stock base or bullion (dissolved in a 1/4 water)
  • Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 lemon

Start up a pot of salted water for the pasta.  Cook according to directions.  While cooking, add the garlic and olive oil to a deep pan and cook over low heat until fragrant.  Add the spinach, salt and pepper if desired.  When spinach is wilted, whisk in the cream, juice from one lemon and stock base.  Simmer until slightly thick.

Add the cooked pasta, gently tossing in the sauce.  If necessary, add a scant amount of the pasta water.  Salt/pepper if desired, add in a handful of grated parm. Serve in shallow bowls with fresh bread and a shaving of parm on top.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

Who do you want to "wow" and what are their food preferences? My "wow" meal would not excite anyone in my house but me. 😉 

Myself really, and expose the kids at home to more flavors

Kind of when we made shawarma and that gyro roast beef a few weeks ago, those were wow. That gyro roast was so good we made it for a neighbor who likes gyros from the fair and she really liked it too.

Edited by saraha
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Innisfree said:

How’s your family on lentils: just plain dry green lentils? Can you get those at your store? I’m sure you could get them delivered. If they’ll eat lentils, I have a good recipe or two.

We’ve had brown lentils (or red? Not sure) as a bean substitute in Cincinnati chili and as a stretcher in chicken pot pie…

Oh, and as a stretcher for taco meat

Edited by saraha

My wow meal is chicken quesadillas. If I have chicken that's already cooked, it's even quicker that 45 min. 

I use store-bought fajita mix for the seasoning (cause we all like the flavour), add it to shedded or cubed chicken cooked in a large frying pan. I add in onion and sweet peppers. I shred a bunch of cheddar cheese and have salsa and sour cream ready along with tortillas.

As the dc have grown older, I don't pre-make the quesadillas, I let them add the ingredients they prefer to put inside their tortillas.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, saraha said:

We’ve had brown lentils (or red? Not sure) as a bean substitute in Cincinnati chili and as a stretcher in chicken pot pie…

Oh, and as a stretcher for taco meat

Okay, this first one takes longer than 45 minutes, but the active part is about that. I often use store bought (Pillsbury) pastry to save time. I *have* used green/brown lentils, the ones most commonly available, but using them means you have a much longer initial cooking time. The red lentils are quicker to cook. The recipe comes from a book by Delia Smith, years ago. One of my kids who won’t touch most lentils loves it. We typically use only a bottom crust, because dh wants to reduce calories, but of course top and bottom crust is tastier.

https://www.recipebinder.co.uk/recipes/lentil-cheese-and-tomato-pie/

Then the next one is a salad of cooked green/brown lentils and kale.

Basically cook 1 1/2 cups of lentils like pasta, in salted water, until they’re edible but not mushy. Set them aside while you shred a bunch of kale (the recipe says 10 ounces, but whatever looks good to you) and add it to the lentils.

Mince about half an onion, more or less to taste (the recipe calls for 3 scallions, but I often can’t get them), 4 garlic cloves, and cut three strips of lemon zest (the length of the lemon). Set aside while you heat 1/2 cup of olive oil in a skillet, then add the onions, garlic and lemon zest, and sauté until the onions and garlic are tender. Take the pan off the heat and add 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds (or 1/2 tablespoon of ground cumin), and 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Let the mixture sit while you slice or coarsely chop 1 cup of green pitted olives. 

Squeeze the lemon juice into the mixture in the skillet. This is your dressing. 

Mix the lentils and kale, olives, and dressing (after removing the strips of lemon zest). Then add 4 ounces of crumbled feta cheese, and mix that in. You can also add some toasted almond slivers if you wish, for more crunch. The recipe calls for adding 1/2 teaspoon of salt, also, but with the olives and feta, I don’t find more salt is needed or helpful. The flavors blend well while the salad is refrigerated, but you can also eat it right away.

Edited by Innisfree
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I've been wowing myself lately with my little two person wok. Maybe what you really want is a new pan to inspire you? 

I bought a wok! It promptly warped on the bottom for reasons I don’t know. So I bought another one, same thing. And they stick. Do you know what I’m doing wrong?

Just now, saraha said:

I bought a wok! It promptly warped on the bottom for reasons I don’t know. So I bought another one, same thing. And they stick. Do you know what I’m doing wrong?

I warped a pan by pouring cold liquid into it when it was hot. Could that be what happened to it? My husband was able to straighten it out, mostly.  

As for sticking, are you heating the pan/any fat well before adding food? (And using enough fat. My husband used to cook his scrambled eggs in the tiniest bit of butter, didn't let the pan get hot enough, then had a mess to clean up after.) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, marbel said:

I warped a pan by pouring cold liquid into it when it was hot. Could that be what happened to it? My husband was able to straighten it out, mostly.  

As for sticking, are you heating the pan/any fat well before adding food? (And using enough fat. My husband used to cook his scrambled eggs in the tiniest bit of butter, didn't let the pan get hot enough, then had a mess to clean up after.) 

Oh, could it have happened by putting frozen vegetables in the hot pan? Are you supposed to thaw them out first? The first one was a calphalon nonstick, it buckled and a stuck. The second one was from Walmart and same thing happened 

1 minute ago, saraha said:
56 minutes ago, marbel said:

Oh, could it have happened by putting frozen vegetables in the hot pan? Are you supposed to thaw them out first? The first one was a calphalon nonstick, it buckled and a stuck. The second one was from Walmart and same thing happened 

What kind of wok do you have? It's not authentic but you can get a stainless steel wok instead of a carbon steel. I've never warped a stainless steel pan/wok. Also get a high quality one, neither nonstick or Walmart says high quality to me. I have a Buffalo stainless steel wok, it's never warped and I'm sure I've put frozen vegetables straight into my hot wok.

• Like 1

I definitely sub dry spices for fresh. Here is a recipe that should bring some new flavors for you. It has a couple of "exotic" ingredients, but my Walmart almost always has them: fish sauce and oyster sauce. Do not tell your family what is in the sauce or they might not eat it. lol Dh and youngest dd do not like fish or fishy stuff, and they love this dish. I am still not sure if they know what is in the sauce! It calls for a fresh serrano or thai chili pepper. I never do that. My quick cheat is to use Huy Fong garlic chili sauce (which I used to always be able to find at WM, too, but every since the siracha shortage--it's gone. I miss it so much!) And you can just use regular old dry basil. Since the garlic chili sauce is unavailable right now, you can just use regular red pepper flakes--or just leave it out. I don't like a lot of heat anyway.

Kroger would definitely have all this stuff. Kroger owns Vitacost btw. Vitacost will ship it to your door. Amazon, too.  Anyway...this is easy and yummy. Tastes like restaurant Thai food. 🙂 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/257938/spicy-thai-basil-chicken-pad-krapow-gai/?utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=allrecipes_allrecipes_19194021&utm_content=worldcuisine_verticalimage&utm_term=global_201810

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

One more...

A Mediterranean take on the quesadilla... This is an adaptation of a Zoe's Kitchen dish called Rosemary Ham Piadina

You need some type of really flat flat bread--I use flour tortillas. Spread a very light layer of mayo inside half of the flatbread. sprinkle some dried rosemary on the mayo. add ham and mozzerella cheese. Fold it over and cook it like a quesadilla for a few minutes on each side. Remove from skillet. Open it up and add a small handful of spring mix or whatever lettuce you have. Spinach--anything. Then drizzle a little lemon vinaigrette over the greens and fold it back up. You can sub Italian dressing for the lemon vinaigrette. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a New York Times recipe called Cheesy White Bean-Tomato Bake that you can use as written or tweak to taste. I usually saute diced onion and some spinach before adding the beans. I usually cut back on the tomato and if I have fresh sage I sprinkle it on before serving. Sometimes I serve over polenta. If you can't view the NYT site, google it and you'll find a bunch of variations.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019681-cheesy-white-bean-tomato-bake

Edited by Pippen
  • Thanks 1

I made linguine with clam sauce last night. It definitely comes out ahead in the effort to reward equation. I just use canned clams and the sauce can be made in the time it takes to boil the pasta. It’s one of our favorites. 

https://www.sipandfeast.com/linguine-canned-clams/#wprm-recipe-container-15598

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, saraha said:

You want the long answer, right? 😂 So I got excited about wok cookery after watching Wok with Tak on youtube. It's fine to say you don't like his methods, but he's a professor and super analytical about how things work. He has some videos where he shows different kinds of woks on different types of stoves. The best metal/type of wok for you depends partly on your stove type. If the wok is carbon steel, it's going to be very prone to warp on certain kinds of stoves. 

So for me, because of my type of stove (smooth top, love it, had one for 24 years, just bought a new one), I decided to go with a *thin* cast iron wok. Not a heavy one you can't pick up, lol, just thin. https://www.amazon.com/21st-Main-Lightweight-pre-seasoned-nonstick/dp/B0B99G4W6Q/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=T0QKKTWGWBM0&keywords=cast%2Biron%2Bwok&qid=1693450545&sprefix=cast%2Biron%2Bwok%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1  This is an example, something like what I bought. So I treat it with the same respect as I treat my other cast iron and I get good results. No sticking, easy to clean with a swish, and no warping. 

Here's his playlist with wok reviews. I think I only paid $17 for my wok, so I really wasn't worried if it didn't work out. I can go measure, but it's pretty small. I wanted it to be basically 1-2 person size, no more. I love that it fits in my pan drawer without a lot of drama. It's so nimble I never hesitate to whip it out. If you're cooking for more people, you would want something bigger.

• Thanks 2

My wok is 11". Told you it's tiny. 😂 If you're only making food for 1-2, it's just enough. I was hanging on a FB group for chinese cooking and people more avidly into this were describing this size as their "travel" wok. I don't travel with a wok, but apparently some people do. 

Oh look, the price is lower than when I bought! I was wrong about the price. I paid around $40 and you can now get it for $31. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HZXZMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not saying a cast iron wok is better than something else, only that it fit my parameters.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, PeterPan said:

My wok is 11". Told you it's tiny. 😂 If you're only making food for 1-2, it's just enough. I was hanging on a FB group for chinese cooking and people more avidly into this were describing this size as their "travel" wok. I don't travel with a wok, but apparently some people do. 

Oh look, the price is lower than when I bought! I was wrong about the price. I paid around $40 and you can now get it for $31. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HZXZMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not saying a cast iron wok is better than something else, only that it fit my parameters.

Well, now I know what to get ds when he moves out!

My carbon steel wok is HUGE.  It's my go-to for cooking all sorts of things for my family because of how big it is.  And it's my travel wok, just because I don't have another. 

I'm not sure why the cast iron would have warped on you, though. I wonder if you have an uneven heating element or if it's the way the handle is attached.

• Like 1

I thought of another. This needs to be refrigerated for a couple of hours, but the hands-on time is only a few minutes

Cooked pasta (something small like mini shells, elbows, bowtie, or rotini)

Garbanzo beans

Tomatoes, diced 

English cucumbers (I just like these better. The skins aren't as tough and waxy as regular cukes)

Sliced olives

Finely-diced red onion

Feta cheese, crumbled

Dressing - 1/2 c yogurt (I use this instead of olive oil for more protein), 1/4 c red wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp Dijon or spicy brown mustard, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp marjoram. I just eyeball these so amounts are approximate. 

Edited by wisdomandtreasures
Fixed typos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most of what I make takes 45 minute or less. Here are a few favorites. Some are recipes I found online. Some are my own and the recipe links are the closest I can find to my not-really-a-recipe dish.

Korean Beef and Rice Bowl - not sure how authentic it is but we all like it. I always serve it with cucumbers as recommended because they help cool it down.

We're having this tonight. It's super easy and very tasty. 
https://www.cookingclassy.com/healthy-lemon-parmesan-chicken-and-veggies-cooking-classy/

Egg Roll in a Bowl - We don't eat keto so don't necessarily use keto specific ingredients. I also make wonton chips using wonton wrappers.

Angel Hair Pasta with Basil and Tomatoes - This is similar to what I make. I use more than 5 leaves of basil and slice it en chiffonade. Often I'll add chicken. I use boneless skinless breast or breast tenderloins.  Season it with salt and pepper, cut it into bite size pieces, and cook it. Remove it from the pan before cooking the tomatoes and garlic, then add it back in. Save some of the pasta cooking water and add it as needed. Oh, and I just read the full recipe. I don't discard the garlic. What? I guess because they don't mince it. I mince it and add it to the pan. Be careful not to brown it or it will turn bitter.

Grilled salmon is always a hit. Put some sweet potatoes in the microwave if you don't want to take the time to bake them. Make honey cinnamon butter or flavor them however you like. A quick side salad or steamed broccoli goes well with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wisdomandtreasures said:

I thought of another. This needs to be refrigerated for a couple of hours, but the hands-on time is only a few minutes

Cooked pasta (something small like mini shells, elbows, bowtie, or rotini)

Garbanzo beans

Tomatoes, diced 

English cucumbers (I just like these better. The skins aren't as tough and waxy as regular cukes)

Sliced olives

Finely-diced red onion

Feta cheese, crumbled

Dressing - 1/2 c yogurt (I use this instead of olive oil for more protein), 1/4 c red wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp Dijon or spicy brown mustard, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp marjoram. I just eyeball these so amounts are approximate. 

We just had something similar to this for lunch the other day.  Two changes:

-no pasta, salad greens & diced avocado instead

-dressing: 1/4c yogurt, 1/4c hummus, oil and lemon juice to taste whisked in. Salt and pepper as needed.

A little heavier for the fall (it's been about 68-72F all week), but still packed with flavor.

• Like 1

I thought of another one - Sweet potato black bean bowls. Someone here mentioned it I think on the well trained bodies thread a while back. There are a number of recipes online. Just pick one that matches your taste, or do like I did and take a little from each recipe.

Also, pasta e fagioli (Italian American slang - pasta fazool). I'm afraid I can't give you a recipe because I just make it. It's Italian peasant food no matter what some Italian restaurants would have you believe. It literally translates to pasta and beans. My mom made it often because it was cheap and filling. Fortunately my brother and I love it and never got tired of it. You can search for "authentic" pasta fagioli. You can use white kidney beans but cannellini beans taste best. Substitute chick peas for the beans and you have pasta cici.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of my favourite simple meals is red lentils cooked with diced onion, celery, carrot and garlic, lots of dried mixed herbs and chicken/veg stock. Served with steamed brown rice, plus whatever veggies you have, cubed and roasted in olive oil, salt and paprika.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love this site for flavorful dishes and this page is all recipes that are 30 minutes or less: 

https://carlsbadcravings.com/category/30-minute-meals/

Some have less common ingredients, some don’t.  I often cook her recipes substituting harder-to-find or more expensive options, like dried herbs for fresh, canned minced green chilis for hot peppers, egg noodles or Italian pasta noodles for less common ones, etc. and they still come out great.

Edited by Condessa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1