Menu

Do you have a no bake dessert you wouldn't mind sharing.

lynn

I need at least 2 desserts for a gathering and it's to hot and humid to even think of baking right now.  If I can make it a day ahead that would be great.  So if you have a favorite go to dessert  recipe you care to share. TIA. 

Ps.  There are no allergy issues that I know of in this group.

Paula Deen’s “not yo mama’s” banana pudding is really good. I take it to gatherings/potlucks. In fact, I just made it for a big graduation cookout and it got great feedback. It’s great made the day before because the cookies soften up a little. (I buy 3 bags cookies so I have plenty…and the leftover cookies are nice with coffee…)

https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/not-yo-mamas-banana-pudding/

I also like peanut butter cup pie, like this one, but I do an Oreo crust. 😊

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9174/peanut-butter-pie/

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

We just made a no bake cheesecake over here.

One package of Philly cream cheese

1/3 cup lemon juice

1 can eagle brand milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

mix together and then pour into a premade graham cracker crust and chill in refrigerator.

It is quick, easy and a favorite over here!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kidlit said:

Chocolate eclair cake 

This recipe is similar only I use chocolate Graham crackers and make my own chocolate icing with cocoa and confectioners sugar. 

I was just going to recommend eclair cake.  My kids LOVED this when they were growing up.  I could never find chocolate graham crackers but we used chocolate pudding mix and chocolate pudding in the tub (Pillsbury/Duncan Hines/Betty Crocker).  

It's good to make ahead because it tastes better with the graham crackers softer.  

• Like 2

Something I have made occasionally--and it was always popular--was an attempt to make an easier version of a delicious black-bottom pie that was my favorite growing up:

Use chocolate grahams, if you can find them, to make a crust in a 9x13" pan--or you can use 2 of the Keebler chocolate pie crusts

1 large box instant chocolate pudding (need milk to mix)

1 large box instant vanilla pudding (need milk to mix)

chopped nuts

Lg (can't remember what oz. size, but you can use how much looks right) whipped topping like Cool Whip

Make the chocolate pudding and pour over the crust. Sprinkle with nuts. Make the vanilla pudding and pour over that. Spread whipped topping on top. Garnish with chocolate graham cracker crumbs.

ETA: Keep in fridge to set and cool.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Paula Deen’s “not yo mama’s” banana pudding is really good. I take it to gatherings/potlucks. In fact, I just made it for a big graduation cookout and it got great feedback. It’s great made the day before because the cookies soften up a little. (I buy 3 bags cookies so I have plenty…and the leftover cookies are nice with coffee…)

This is my go to as well. Such a great recipe!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I’ll give another vote for this pudding. It is so rich that I ONLY make it for larger gatherings because it’s too much for just my family

An ice cream bar or floats are nice on a hot day too. 

• Like 1

https://doublebatch.wordpress.com/2011/02/20/lemon-truffle-pie/

This is super yummy. If you want to double it, I 1-1/2 the graham cracker crust, use 7 (not 8 egg yolks) and it fits nicely in an 11x17 pan. (If you want a 9x13, I’d probably 1-1/2 the recipe).  

Also, it doesn’t say so in the instructions, but let the lemon curd you set aside cool to room temp before you spread it over the cream cheese layer. I usually don’t bother spreading the whipped cream over the top and just have it available on the side. We don’t put the almonds on. 

• Like 1

no cook chocloate coconut-milk mousse is delicious. basically, melt the chocolate and mix in the coconut milk, add flavours if you want (vanilla, quantro, etc). Easy to google variations.

Put it in pretty little glasses the night before in the frig. Then whipped cream and strawberry on top makes for quite an elegant dessert.

5 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I love Paula Deen's banana pudding.... but we use the Nilla Wafer cookies instead. So Yummy!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I think if you use the nilla wafers it IS your mama’s banana pudding. 😆

6 hours ago, Corbster98 said:

I would have to disagree.... my Mom never used cream cheese in her banana pudding 🙂 I get what you are saying though. 

Around here traditional banana pudding wouldn't have Chessman cookies, sweetened condensed milk or cream cheese.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Around here traditional banana pudding wouldn't have Chessman cookies, sweetened condensed milk or cream cheese.

Yep. Also, around here, everyone (including my mom) bakes their  banana pudding. All those warm, brownish bananas…ugh. Lol, I love the Paula Deen version. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I picked up a Celtic cookbook from the local Celtic festival. As an American, I found that the Scottish recipes seemed to use oats and whiskey more frequently and in rather surprising ways than what I am accustomed to. This recipe definitely affirms that observation -- it also sounds delicious!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

5 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Yep. Also, around here, everyone (including my mom) bakes their  banana pudding. All those warm, brownish bananas…ugh. Lol, I love the Paula Deen version. 

You're both right.  I was being silly about the recipe title.  My own mother would never spring for the expensive shortbread cookies.  That variation would never occur to her so in my mind it's the biggest variation.  The other ingredients seem less luxurious. 

I'm not sure I've had a baked banana pudding.  I do bake my rice pudding but that's a whole production.  Banana pudding is easier.  I also use vanilla pudding in my banana pudding because my mother always did.  Every now and then I have some where the cook has used banana pudding and it's a bit much.  The bananas do all the banana work and it's not necessary for the pudding to pitch in.  I make the traditional nila wafer kind for just my family and the paula deen one for a crowd.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm not sure I've had a baked banana pudding.  

When I was a kid the standard was homemade custard and a meringue topping. So that had to be baked a little. I think instant vanilla pudding and Cool Whip were great improvements. Homemade custard was fine but I’ve never cared for meringue anything. 

• Like 1

Doctored up precut fruit.

Method:  Go to Costco, find their cut up bite sized melon offerings.  Usually this is a mix of cantaloupe, green, and water melons.  

Also buy about a quart of whole strawberries there.  And a pint of blueberries.

Store in the fridge.

Wash, dry, and slice the strawberries the morning of the occasion.  Put into a Tupperware, store in the fridge.

Wash the blueberries, ditto.

Bring the whole mess to the event, along with a punch bowl and a berry spoon.

Also bring Cointreau.  Or Grand Marnier, but C is better.

Right before serving:  

Pour a tablespoon in the bottom of the punch bowl.  Pour in the blueberries, mix.  Add the strawberries and another tablespoon of C, mix.  Add the melon gradually, mixing as you go.  Pour about 2-3 more T C in, sprinkled over the top.  Serve to wild acclaim.

This is my favorite. Lemonade pie. I have no idea where the original recipe is from, my Mom made it a lot and I'm guessing she got it from a box or can. I often double it as it's so easy to make, the amounts below are for one pie. 

Graham Cracker Crust 
6 ounces frozen lemonade 
8 ounces Cool Whip
1/2 can Eagle Brand condensed milk (I'm guessing it was an Eagle Brand recipe since it specifically lists it)
1 tsp vanilla 

Mix above until creamy. Add about 3/4 of a 16 ounce can of Mandarin oranges (drained). Use remainder to decorate. 

Pour into pie crust and freeze 

You can also add crushed pineapple but I prefer it without. 
I've also made it as a pink lemonade pie using pink lemonade and strawberries instead of oranges, it's pretty but the strawberries get a little too hard. 

It freezes very solid, so if you are taking it somewhere and it gets left out it is still usually fine as it just is an easier to eat consistency. 

This very day I made raspberry cheesecake no-churn ice cream. "No-churn" means no ice cream maker!  I'd made a plain vanilla once a few years ago and we liked it, but this was over the top delicious. I'm glad I divided it into 3 containers so I can hide one in the back of the freezer as my very own.  It's a variation on this recipe, using some leftover raspberry cake filling instead of blueberries. I will likely try with blues and blackberries in the not-too-distance future. 

https://grandbaby-cakes.com/no-churn-blueberry-cheesecake-ice-cream/ 

It's rich and kind of expensive to make but wow is it good. 

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

When I was a kid the standard was homemade custard and a meringue topping. So that had to be baked a little. I think instant vanilla pudding and Cool Whip were great improvements. Homemade custard was fine but I’ve never cared for meringue anything. 

Ok. That tracks. That’s how I make my rice pudding. It cooks on the stove for an hour but goes in the oven just to make the meringue golden.

Where I’m from the top of the pudding was usually adorned with some crunched up cookies and the meringue was more for banana cream pie. 

This all reminds me that on a hot day, lemon meringue pie is the most refreshing thing ever. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, knitgrl said:

I picked up a Celtic cookbook from the local Celtic festival. As an American, I found that the Scottish recipes seemed to use oats and whiskey more frequently and in rather surprising ways than what I am accustomed to. This recipe definitely affirms that observation -- it also sounds delicious!

Apparently our long summer days are perfect for growing oats, so they get into everything. Whisky? It's the native spirit  - wine isn't easy up here.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

Ice cream DIY bar
Buy a carton of vanilla and a carton of chocolate + a variety of toppings (chopped nuts, whipped cream, chopped berries, chocolate syrup, m&ms or other candy bits for sprinkling, etc.); spread elements out on the counter; everyone fixes their own to taste.

Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries
Carton of whole strawberries, rinsed and patted dry; melt some Ghirardelli dipping chocolate wafers in the microwave; hold the leafy top of each strawberry, dip, and let dry on a sheet of wax paper for about 5 minutes, until chocolate is hardened.

No-bake cookies -- 25 cookie and bar recipes (some may require brief stovetop cooking)

No-bake Keto Fat Bombs -- 24 recipes (some may require brief stovetop cooking)
Don't let the "keto" or "fat bomb" put you off of looking at these recipes -- these are all EASY, as they have just a few ingredients (like chocolate, peanut butter, cream cheese, fruit, nuts), and are quick to stir together into "bomb" or round bon-bon shapes, and then are refrigerated. Most substitute Stevia or other for sugar, but easy to substitute back real sugar! 😄 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Yes! This is what I grew up eating.  And I liked it well enough (except for the meringue, always hated that)…but now my eyes have been opened. I’ll never go back, lol. 

• Like 1

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17395/chocolate-eclair-cake/

I vote chocolate eclair cake too! I’m sharing a different recipe because it’s super easy and everyone loves it! My grandmother made homemade chocolate frosting but I’ve always bought premade. So simple and so inexpensive and so good! My son usually wants this for his birthday. 😊

• Like 2