Menu

Christmas Eve menus?

LNC

Christmas Eve we are always busy at church, so our tradition is to go out for Chinese food before evening worship.

Christmas Day is our big family dinner--usually lasagna. This past thanksgiving I made a lasagna and realized why I only do this a couple times a year. I added up the ingredients--cost was almost $70! Now admittedly, I make good lasagna, and I make a lot, but sheesh! We could have had three more turkeys for that!

the day before Christmas Eve, then it's easy for me on Christmas Eve to have leftover ham and swiss on hard rolls, wrapped in foil and heated in oven, with leftover scalloped potatoes on Christmas Eve.

I have to make sauce and lasagne, etc. on Christmas Eve day so it's ready to just pop in the oven on Christmas Day, and this setup allows me to make no dinner on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but it's all still yummy!

Boy, I am jealous. My family tradition is to get together on Christmas Eve and we exchange gifts and have a feast. Well, my sister, the hostess of this event (her house is the only one big enough for our entire family) decided that coordinating a menu and having everyone bring something was just too much work (even though I volunteered to coordinate it), so our Christmas dinner will be Portillo's (Italian beef sandwiches from a fast food joint!) It just feels so unspecial to be eating greasy beef sandwiches, and mass prepared sides rather than food made with love. I am sorry, but I just don't think delicious homemade Christmas cookies go with fast food. Apparently, I am the only one appalled by this. Maybe I'll just show up in ripped up jeans and a ratty old sweatshirt. Okay, maybe I won't, but that's how I feel about the meal.

Don't have plans for Christmas day, so I guess I need to shop for a turkey.

We're atheist but our traditional meal is based on the Catholic Christmas fast, so there's no meat & no alcohol.

The meal is served when the first star appears in the night to remember the stars the shepherds saw.

Wild mushroom soup or borshcht. Fish. Pierogi. Braised red cabbage. Green salad. Pickled herring. Some families observe the tradition of 12 courses (I think this is from the 12 days of Christmas) - but all must be meat free.

If you go to midnight mass (which we don't) you sometimes eat another meal when you get back - this is when the meats and roasts and wine come out - a big feast to celebrate the birth of Christ. Most families just have this the following day, on the 1st day of Christmas.

Our traditional Christmas Eve dinner is:

homemade beef tamales, avocadoes, and refried beans with all the trimmings: cheese, sour cream, rice (if anyone wants it), tortilla chips and salsa and tomatoes.

This year we are adding DH's venison chili and MIL wants taco meat for taco salads.

We do this every year. We also attend the Christmas Eve worship service and everyone gets to open new pjs on Christmas Eve.

For Christmas Eve - easy - Chinese take out. It has become a tradition that the whole family loves. My mom and I love that we can go to church and come home to a hot meal with no work.

Christmas Day is at my mom's. She is making Italian Beef sandwiches or cold ham sandwiches. Everyone is bringing a side to share. I, personally, am making Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes because that is now a family favorite. I think my mom is making a pineapple upside down sheet cake for a Jesus birthday cake. Still pretty simple considering there will be about 24 people for dinner.

We always do nibbly hor dervy kind of stuff.

CHix wings

cheese plates and crackers

meatballs

veggies

cream cheese and relish

Herring

Fruit

Lil smokies

WE open gifts christmas Eve and tend to sit around and enjoy the evening, so it's easier just easier having a buffet setting out for a couple of hours. On occasion when it's just been the two boys and no daughters around, (after they got married and were living in diffent states) we went out for dinner or ordered pizza for 4.

Boy, I am jealous. My family tradition is to get together on Christmas Eve and we exchange gifts and have a feast. Well, my sister, the hostess of this event (her house is the only one big enough for our entire family) decided that coordinating a menu and having everyone bring something was just too much work (even though I volunteered to coordinate it), so our Christmas dinner will be Portillo's (Italian beef sandwiches from a fast food joint!) It just feels so unspecial to be eating greasy beef sandwiches, and mass prepared sides rather than food made with love. I am sorry, but I just don't think delicious homemade Christmas cookies go with fast food. Apparently, I am the only one appalled by this. Maybe I'll just show up in ripped up jeans and a ratty old sweatshirt. Okay, maybe I won't, but that's how I feel about the meal.

Don't have plans for Christmas day, so I guess I need to shop for a turkey.

I think you have a couple of options... You could offer to cook something at her house that seems more fancy or you can dress up the sandwiches with fancy plates and tableware. Personally, we do Chinese because it doesn't involve work.

Wanna know something funny? When I was about 8 years old, my mom was working nights in the ER. She always cooked a fancy dinner for Christmas Eve. This particular year, life happened. She doesn't remember what anymore. She couldn't cook a big dinner, so she ordered Pizza Hut. I remember DANCING around the living room waiting for that pizza to arrive. It was a treat! I don't think pizza ever tasted so good. My mom has told me since that she remembed crying in her bedroom because she felt like she was failing by not making a special dinner. I have told her that I can't remember a single other Christmas Eve meal as a kid, but I remember that Pizza Hut as clear today as the many years ago it happened. Just a thought.

Wanna know something funny? When I was about 8 years old, my mom was working nights in the ER. She always cooked a fancy dinner for Christmas Eve. This particular year, life happened. She doesn't remember what anymore. She couldn't cook a big dinner, so she ordered Pizza Hut. I remember DANCING around the living room waiting for that pizza to arrive. It was a treat! I don't think pizza ever tasted so good. My mom has told me since that she remembed crying in her bedroom because she felt like she was failing by not making a special dinner. I have told her that I can't remember a single other Christmas Eve meal as a kid, but I remember that Pizza Hut as clear today as the many years ago it happened. Just a thought

And what a lovely thought. Really, I love this. Children are so easy to please, that we sometimes forget to relax and enjoy and share their happiness as we should.

Well, we have gymnastics till 6:30pm - and there are a few of "us" actually planning on showing up so the coach doesn't feel lonely (really, i think he should be closed on Christmas Eve - but it's his deal not mine).

We aren't doing much else Christmas Eve - so i have no clue what we are eating! LOL!!

We have a tradition of having breakfast for dinner on Christmas Eve. We are very busy with church, so by the time we get home, we have waffles, sausage and hot chocolate. Then we make sure the stockings and tree are "just so", put some egg nog and fudge out for Santa, and call it a night. The kids are EAGER to go to bed. Love Christmas Eve.... just love it!!

The next day is our traditional turkey dinner day.

Dh grew up in New Mexico and his mom still lives there, so usually she is here for Christmas and likes to make Posole, enchiladas, and green and red chile on Christmas eve. Then I make a spiral ham, mashed potatoes, and all of that stuff on Christmas day. We have a chocolate and fruit trifle for dessert, with kiwi and red berries so it looks festive.

This year MIL isn't coming out, for the first time in years, and I'm not going to a lot of trouble on both Christmas eve and Christmas day, so we'll eat some fun and easy snacky stuff Christmas eve and watch a Christmas move together. I'm really tired of the ham for Christmas day and need to do something else next year, though my parents and brother and SIL come over on that day and they're all attached to what we've always had for Christmas dinner.

We've done lasagna before. Great because you can make it early.

Lately, it's been Tex-Mex Stew or Tortilla Soup.

This year, maybe cheese fondue with crepes for dessert.

Or, I like the idea of a buffet. There aren't many of us here, so it will be fun to be casual.

We will once again attend an open house of some local friends - the mil is Vietnamese (as is our friend) who lived in Thailand - they always have this tiny white-haired grandma in the kitchen cooking up a storm with wok and cleaver - they alternate and do Vietnamese one year, Thai food the next. YUM!!!!!!

When we get home we make our stupid, unappreciative kids a frozen pizza. And open a jar of herring for hubby.

Now - New years Day I will make dirty rice, gumbo, jambalaya.... and the kids will eat more frozen pizza!!!!!

I think you have a couple of options... You could offer to cook something at her house that seems more fancy or you can dress up the sandwiches with fancy plates and tableware. Personally, we do Chinese because it doesn't involve work. .

It is what it is. I just need to accept it. I am just the weirdo crunchy conservative of the family and saying anything will just open me up to ridicule. I just feel bad because the focus it taken off of the meal and the gathering together. The meal is just something to be rushed through until we can commence with the orgy of opening presents and consumption of alcoholic beverages. To me, it feels like ordering takeout for Thanksgiving because cooking gets in the way of watching football all day.

Funny, one year, we did Chinese takeout for Christmas eve (I think this was the beginning of the downfall) and it was the worst Chinese food I ever had. Almost everyone got sick.

For Christmas Eve - easy - Chinese take out. It has become a tradition that the whole family loves. My mom and I love that we can go to church and come home to a hot meal with no work.

We used to do Chinese take-out but now that we don't attend Christmas Eve church service we go to the Chinese Buffet Restaurant and have a relaxing, long meal eating Chinese. Ummmmmmm (I do miss the service but....)

Carole

We have our big Christmas meal on Christmas Eve. This year we are having ham, baked sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, biscuits, steamed broccoli, green beans, fruit salad, and the dessert has not been decided yet. I am considering a chocolate fondue, now that I've read this thread.

I have a couple of kids who love pizza, so I will make a pizza because it's Christmas.

RC

Christmas Eve is spiral ham with crusty bread, mustards and cheeses to make sandwiches. Also potato salad, fruit, veggie tray and several different appetizers for munching (little smokies in bacon, mini quiche, hot cheesy artichoke dip, crab popovers, etc). Then we do birthday cake for Jesus as our dessert.

Christmas Day is fancy lasagna, garlic bread, and salad.

Christmas Eve we celebrate with dh's family. I have to work this year so I'm exempt from cooking duty. Usually dhs suggest a theme and then various people cook around that idea. This year he's suggesting vegetarian. We'll see if people go for it. :)

For Christmas we have my parents here and I'm making a ham, spinach salad and either hashbrown potato casserole (if I want to be easy) or risotto (if I want to be fancier). We always have an apricot nectar pound cake for dessert as it was a favorite of my great-grandmother's whose birthday was Christmas Eve.

Tradition in my family is seafood on Christmas eve. It will just be the immediate family and this year my MIL. We'll have shrimp, steamed clams (ds's favorite) and then I'll either have lobster (depending on price) or scallops.

Christmas day all the extended family will be over throughout the day, so I'll make a ham and assorted sides. I honestly haven't given much thought to food yet. I'm to busy trying to get christmas letters out.

Melissa

After several years of tinkering with our Christmas tradition, we've settled on having our big Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. We always stay home for Christmas, and it makes the day more relaxing to do all the heavy-lifting on Christmas Eve, then just have leftovers and snacks on the day. We can get up and be leisurely about the whole thing, and I don't get a bad attitude about being stuck in the kitchen while everyone else enjoys new toys and naps ;).

This year we'll have prime rib, scalloped potatoes, some other buttery delicious sides, and lots of desserts.

Fondue is an ideal Christmas Eve meal. We eat this ~ along with good bread for dipping, as well as various raw fruits/veggies and white wine (or sparkling apple cider for the boys) ~ before going to the church service. Simple yet elegant and delicious! After church, we come home and sing carols while noshing on roasted chestnuts.

We always go to church that evening. I much prefer the later, "adult" service, but for the last several years, we've had one or both kids involved in the "family service" earlier in the evening. Add in the fact that at least one of them is always performing in one service or the other, and this means we not only attend both services but must show up an hour or more before the early one for rehearsals.

We try to eat a real meal for lunch that day, but it's not usually anything holiday-ish, just a good, filling meal (burritos or something like that) There is a "stone soup" supper in between the two services, and we usually go to that, but it's a light meal.

We do our significant holiday meal on Christmas day. We used to do a repeat of our traditional, non-traditional Thanksgiving meal, but a few years ago we all agreed that our favorite dinner is Indian-style curried chickpeas with sides and fixings. So, now I make that for Christmas dinner. It's weird, but it makes us happy.

Xmas day will be at sil's house -- huge spread of food. So, the night before, we're having our own mini-buffet. I like making tiny food. So, I've planned to make 8 different hors d'oeuvres. I also do a dainties swap with other ladies in town. That way we all make one kind of dainty, but go home with lots of kind of dainties.