Menu

Need book recommendations for my 7 year old grandson for me to read aloud.

Faith-manor

We had done a couple How to Train Your Dragon books, two Bunnicula books, and I am about to start Mr. Poppers Penguins. I am drawing a blank for what to read after that. It has been so many years since I had young ones, and can't seem to remember what all I read to my own kids at that age.

They are pretty emotional about mamma and baby brother in the hospital, and daddy coming and going all the time. The three year old will listen to anything since he just likes to be snuggled with me on the couch.

A little comedy would be wise. I don't think N can handle super serious or scary situations at the moment even though he normally loves a good intense adventure. He has listened to the first two Harry Potter books on audio, and usually they are favorites. But he has had a rather upset or down cast faces when I have asked about re-reading the first one or listening to them to help him go to sleep. I just think there is too much worry in his little heart to manage something with heavy themes.

I have my Kindle so I can just buy books and download since we are staying home and isolated in the hopes of getting the three year old healthy and keeping him that way. I am playing race the clock on that since he needs to be done with this respiratory virus before little T is released.

Suggestions?

I'm trying to remember what ds loved at that age.

Mr. Popper's Penguins was a hit, as well as The Phantom Tollbooth.  He really liked the imaginative and animal books: Burgess, The Wizard of Oz series, Just So Stories, 13 Story Treehouse..outlandish things.  If you can get a book of American tall tales that would probably be pretty entertaining, too.

My Father's Dragon
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlotte's Web
Mary Poppins
Peter Pan
Gooseberry Park
Dominic
Because of Winn-Dixie
Crispin
Freddy the Detective

ETA: Yours are probably a little young for Crispin, but DS9 just added it and it's been a while since I read that one, so who knows...

Edited by barnwife
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He loves a good dragon story. I am going to look up My Father's Dragon since I haven't hears of it. Marry Poppins...kind of don't know why I didn't think of that! My brain is short circuiting. I need to find out about this Freddy Detective, Ginger Pye, and Phantom Tollbooth.

Thank you so much!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

He loves a good dragon story. I am going to look up My Father's Dragon since I haven't hears of it. Marry Poppins...kind of don't know why I didn't think of that! My brain is short circuiting. I need to find out about this Freddy Detective, Ginger Pye, and Phantom Tollbooth.

Thank you so much!!

OMG!

The My Father's Dragon is the first official chapter book RA that I do for ours once they turn four. The chapters are super short, which is great if you have a young one with short attention span. I can't recommend the trilogy enough.

• Like 7

We are fans of My Father’s Dragon also. 

Have you been watching any Storytime Online or other picture books read aloud on YouTube? What I love about those channels is that you get the full access to the picture book AND my voice gets a break. Youngest was in 1st in 2020, and we spent much of the early pandemic watching storybooks online since we couldn’t get to the library.

5 minutes ago, barnwife said:

OMG!

The My Father's Dragon is the first official chapter book RA that I do for ours once they turn four. The chapters are super short, which is great if you have a young one with short attention span. I can't recommend the trilogy enough.

Thanks. I think I will buy those too. They are easily spending two hours a day snuggled up for read alouds. So it doesn't take long to get through the average chapter book for 1-3 graders. Plus, they are really feeling stressed, so I am keeping schoolwork short and super focused on the 3 R's. N doesn't have the emotional bandwidth right now for history narrations, science, art, and penmanship. Math, reading, Language/Spelling that's it.

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We are fans of My Father’s Dragon also. 

Have you been watching any Storytime Online or other picture books read aloud on YouTube? What I love about those channels is that you get the full access to the picture book AND my voice gets a break. Youngest was in 1st in 2020, and we spent much of the early pandemic watching storybooks online since we couldn’t get to the library.

LOL, I was not even aware that existed. My youngest is 22 so I am out of the loop with current options. Thanks for the info.

I, too, was going to suggest the three books in the My Father's Dragon series. My oldest two grandchildren are younger, but they LOVED this series, and it inspired lots of imaginative play, as well. I read the first one to myself around 7yo, and loved it as well. I didn't know about the other two books until I was looking for it for my own children.

• Like 4

Ivy by Katherine Coville and Ivy and the Goblins by the same are great stories. Little bit of magic and magical creatures and not too heavy.

The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White was a favorite of ds10 when he was a little younger.

My Father's Dragon has a lovely audiobook versions on Youtube and Librivox in case your voice needs a break lol.

• Like 4

Boy did I have a "senior moment" trying to come up with the title of this one. Came close with "Spindle."

I was about to throw myself on the mercy of the hive, when a fortuitous websearch paid off.

I recall reading "Frindle" by Andrew Clements with my son when he was in Second Grade.

I'm sure my son would not remember it, but I was very touched by this story of a class-clown and his teacher.

Bill

• Like 1

Ramona books by Beverly Cleary

Clementine books by Sara Penny packer

Roscoe Riley books by Katherine Applegate

Dragons in a bag by Zetta Elliott

The Zoey and Sassafras series by Asia Citro (I learned about this here. A girl heals fantasy creatures of various ailments. Discusses the scientific method in figuruing out what works, etc.)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cecropia said:

Shel Silverstein poetry collections.  It's even more fun to hear him read them.  Or Jack Prelutsky.

Wayside School books by Louis Sachar -- funny and absurd, but some of the humor is dark.  I suppose that goes for my first suggestions, too... it's the kind of humor we like in our household!

Oh my goodness yes yes yes to Jack Prelutsky poetry books!

I'm looking at my list of what I read aloud to my kids at that age and thinking about what they loved:

Bunnicula series

Ginger Pye/ Pinky Pye

The Penderwicks series

Chronicles of Narnia series

Pippi Longstocking

The Children of Noisy Village

How to Eat Fried Worms

Dragons of the Lost Sea series

The Great Turkey Walk

Owls in the Family

Fudge series by Judy Blume

Gooney Bird Green series

The Oz series

Everything by E. Nesbit

Half Magic

A Tarantula in My Purse

The Stories Julian Tells series

The Railway Children

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series

The Boxcar Children series

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Owls in the Family. That is another one I am not familiar with. Owls are another much loved creature. Off to look it up!

The Dog Who Wouldn't Be.  Owls in the Family is always one of the first books I read aloud to any class of first grade or older kids.  I love Farley Mowatt.  We had a cat named Farley after him.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 1

Just a heads up:  I, personally, loved all the Beverly Cleary books when I was seven, but my kids, especially my kid who was severely anxious, absolutely could not handle them AT ALL.  They were huge, massive fails for her.  My oldest found them dated and boring, but my youngest found them extremely anxiety producing, because there is a lot of interpersonal conflict and they actually are pretty intense.  Things like Ramona dropping out of kindergarten because she thinks her teacher hates her.  Lots of issues with her parents and Beezus.  Beverly Cleary really nails the interior lives of children world, and Ramona's worries are very real and pretty intense.  

They are very sweet and excellent books, but they might not necessarily be the best choice for a kid who is feeling really anxious.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Just a heads up:  I, personally, loved all the Beverly Cleary books when I was seven, but my kids, especially my kid who was severely anxious, absolutely could not handle them AT ALL.  They were huge, massive fails for her.  My oldest found them dated and boring, but my youngest found them extremely anxiety producing, because there is a lot of interpersonal conflict and they actually are pretty intense.  Things like Ramona dropping out of kindergarten because she thinks her teacher hates her.  Lots of issues with her parents and Beezus.  Beverly Cleary really nails the interior lives of children world, and Ramona's worries are very real and pretty intense.  

They are very sweet and excellent books, but they might not necessarily be the best choice for a kid who is feeling really anxious.  

Same experience here.....all of the Roald Dahl books were also huge fails. The adults in all of the Roald Dahl books all failed to care for their children and hated them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Same experience here.....all of the Roald Dahl books were also huge fails. The adults in all of the Roald Dahl books all failed to care for their children and hated them.

I have no idea why, but my anxious kid loved Roald Dahl books.  She does have a dark and sarcastic sense of humor.  I guess the adults were just so completely written off as to be irrelevant?  She also loved The Series of Unfortunate Events.  But could not handle Little Bear.  

Kids are weird. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Thanks. I really think that while they have so much separation from mom and dad, and also have to be isolated from their homeschool group friends, that I want to keep things fairly cheery.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I have to say that sometimes I really wonder about Roald Dahl's childhood. He didn't seem to have a sense of adults who love children.

44 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

My boys especially have loved the Henry Huggins and Ramona books by Beverly Cleary at that age.  

I recall the Henry Huggins series being overall lighter than the Ramona books. I love, love, love the Ramona books but some parts of them are really quite sad. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Emba said:

Haven’t read everyone’s suggestions but my kids loved A Bear Called Paddington.

Also Mr. Popper’s Penguins was a hit. 

Also, there are many more Paddington Books after this one. A Bear Called Paddington is all I have read, but my 9 year old is enjoying the other books himself.

• Like 3