Menu

What do you make for Christmas breakfast?

I have made various things over the years. Baked blueberry french toast, puffed pancakes, that egg and bacon night before casserole etc. This year I'm thinking of homemeade yogurt with homemade cranberry granola with a drizzle of honey; baked oatmeal (recipe from this board!), and some homemade breads and muffins. The pumpkin scones might be fun but open to suggestions. I like to keep it flavourful but light as we eat all day :lol:

What do you make?

We generally do a cold, European style breakfast -- cold meats, cheeses, rolls, yogurt, soft-boiled eggs, juices, coffee. We usually have crepes too (one of dh's specialties) w/ toppings like Gouda cheese, or honey, powdered sugar, nutella, fruits, ...

Yum. I'm getting hungry now.

No one wants to eat much on Christmas morning, so it is our tradition to have a little variety: coffee cake, cheese danish, mini donuts, cereal, fruit and juice.

Do do all of Christmas at my parents' house 1/2 mile away. We don't have room for a tree and such, so we do it all there.

We do a big finger-food feast on Christmas Eve with singing, and Christmas Dinner is a joint effort with my mom, so the morning food is easy.

I do one of those night before egg casseroles - it has hash browns in the bottom, ham layered on top, then eggs and cheese. I also like to have some kind of muffin or rolls, juice, coffee, and fruit. The casserole takes about 40-45 minutes to bake so I just pop it in the oven first thing.

I have made various things over the years. Baked blueberry french toast.

How did it turn out? Do you have a recipe to share? I would love to try baked blueberry french toast. :)

I also try something different each year. I'll post later w/some ideas.

I do one of those night before egg casseroles - it has hash browns in the bottom, ham layered on top, then eggs and cheese. I also like to have some kind of muffin or rolls, juice, coffee, and fruit. The casserole takes about 40-45 minutes to bake so I just pop it in the oven first thing.

Ohhhh, can i get this recipe?? It has potatoes.... yummmmm! :tongue_smilie:

I have always done something sweet like cinnamon rolls or danish, but the kids get their stockings first thing and generally dig in and then never eat breakfast. So I started putting cereal bars and juice boxes in the stockings, which they eat first thing. DH and I usually have a bagel. We do some finger foods later on and then a larger meal for lunch.

I think I started a tradition last year, since ds9 brought it up.

I'll put out a plate of pigs in a blanket, cinnamon rolls, cheese slices, rolled up lunch meat, the reuben bites, a sausage dip, and all of the cookies and candy we have in the house. Around dinnertime I'll heat up leftovers from Christmas Eve dinner.

The rule is: Eat what you want, when you want. As long as your attitude is fine and you're not freaking out on sugar, I'm not monitoring your intake. Freak out and your supply is cut off.

Edited by JudoMom

Brunch Eggs (make ahead, pop in the oven when we get up, before we do stockings)

Cinnamon Rolls (baked w/ Brunch Eggs)

A frozen fruit "treat" (bananas, orange juice and crushed pineapple... plus some sugar... all blended together and frozen).

Everything is made before hand, so no day-of prep :D

For Christmas morning, I usually like to combine a sweet dish w/a protein based dish so here's my list of things I'm considering this year.

Sweet Dishes

~Gingerbread anything (muffins or bread or men)

~Various Baked French Toast Dishes

~Baked Apples (these were a huge hit)

~Dutch Almond Pastries (I love the almond paste for these but don't like the pastry--open to ideas for modification)

~Cranberry Bread

~Apple Cider Cinnamon Bread

Protein Dishes

~Overnight Egg Souffle

~Scrambled eggs w/cheddar and parsley

~Eggs w/sausage, peppers, and potatoes

~Platter of cheese and sausages w/crackers or special bread

We go to Ihop. :0) Seriously, it is the best tradition. We do the Christmas morning thing, then we, some family and some friends all go to Ihop. We take up a row of tables, set the kids up with a game (usually Blokus) and we stay for well over an hour. We can eat drink and visit, Evey one gets what the want and then when we leave we tip the staff- well!

We all go home to kitchens that are clean and are ready to start our Christmas dinners. I love not having one more chore to do on Christmas and that we are able to get everyone together. I sometimes stay home from breakfast and just enjoy a little bit of Christmas quietly, I can pick up the paper, put together some toys, organize the house and just fell a sense of ahhhhhhh.

I usually prepare something the night before that I can put in the oven when we get up so after the gifts are open there's something yummy and hot ready to go.

In the past we have had:

Cinnamon Rolls

Oven French Toast

Monkey bread

Egg cassarole bake

biscuits and ham

Pumpkin Bread (with chocolate chips!) was always a tradition in my family and that's what we've done the last few years...DH's mom used to make them some kind of popover...not sure what it is, but I'd like to find out and try it one year.

Oh, we never do Chritmas breakfast. We can only handle one bid meal per day. So we start with coffee and a lite pastry of some sort and them just start slowly but surely bring out the special Christmas snack and hors d'oeuvres as the day progresses. We probably end up eating more than if we ate two meals but it is not as filling so we don't end up with that stuffed, bloated feeling.

We have what Mary and Joseph *may* have had:

bread with honey

figs

dates

goat milk (from our own goat this year!)

nuts

oranges or tangerines

We also have our breakfast before we open gifts, if we haven't opened them all on Christmas Eve. :001_smile:

I'll put out a plate of pigs in a blanket, cinnamon rolls, cheese slices, rolled up lunch meat, the reuben bites, a sausage dip, and all of the cookies and candy we have in the house. Around dinnertime I'll heat up leftovers from Christmas Eve dinner.

The rule is: Eat what you want, when you want. As long as your attitude is fine and you're not freaking out on sugar, I'm not monitoring your intake. Freak out and your supply is cut off.

:iagree:

We're trying this method this year. I'm going to buy some of those mini quiches from Costco, and those will go out around breakfast time with sausage balls and maybe some baked pears or apples.

For the rest of the day we plan to put out pigs in blankets, smoked sausage, Boursin cheese and crackers, nuts, shrimp, and of course cookies and candy. I'll probably head to the kitchen to throw something in the oven every couple of hours, but other than that I don't plan to cook.

My mom and dad live next door and will spend Christmas day with us. Mom will probably bring some snacks and goodies, too.

I've always made cinnamon rolls. But last year I made Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls and I'll never go back to the old ones. I've made PW's rolls three times since then, and my hubby and boys are already salivating at the thought of eating them Christmas morning. I'll be making them during the day on Christmas Eve. It makes 7 round cake pans, so we'll have plenty! Served with cold milk or hot coffee. Yum!

I do one like that, only it cooks on low all night in the crock pot. Already done, smells great, and ready to eat right when we wake up!

I insist that the kids eat at least some protein before the sugar hits their systems. ;)

Ohhhh, can i get this recipe?? It has potatoes.... yummmmm! :tongue_smilie:

Here it is:

Breakfast Casserole

1 package of Ore Ida oval hash brown patties

1 dozen eggs

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

a little milk

Dijon or spicy brown mustard

2 cups cubed cooked ham

Spray bottom of 9x13 dish with Pam.

Line bottom of pan with hash browns (it takes 8 or 9 I think)

Sprinkle ham on top of hash browns.

Sprinkle cheese on top of ham.

Whip eggs together with some milk & a tablespoon (or so) of mustard until well blended.

Pour egg/milk mixture on top of everything.

I cover this and stick it in the fridge overnight. It can be frozen ahead too.

In the morning I bake it at 350ish for about 40 minutes.

I often substitute other breakfast meat for the ham - sausage is good or bacon (both cooked and crumbled before adding to casserole).

Hope you like it - it's such a big hit at our house!

I do one like that, only it cooks on low all night in the crock pot. Already done, smells great, and ready to eat right when we wake up!

I insist that the kids eat at least some protein before the sugar hits their systems. ;)

I have never thought about doing it in the crock pot! I'll have to try it sometime.

Can you post your recipe? Please!???? :D

While opening presents - sticky buns, hot chocolate or coffee.

We have brunch later in the morning - ham, cinnamon toast strata, fruit.

The rest of the day depends on the in-laws. We sometimes have a big dinner or we just snack all day.

Can you post your recipe for the crock pot?

Sounds like something I can handle :D

Christmas Tree French Toast

Make french toast as usual

cut diagonally in half

put 3 triangles of FT onto each plate in the shape of a tree

put 2 breakfast sausages links as a trunk

dust with green coloured sugar

Christmas Tree Egg Pie

line my tree-shaped quiche pan with baking paper

put in savoury short pie crust

mix up ~8 eggs & pour into prepared pan

carefully add strips of green capsicum (bell pepper) to add "tree" details

cut a star from red capsicum & place on top

cut cherry tomatoes in half & place os ornaments

Bake ~60 1 hour @ 200 C, until egg is cooked

Cinn. Rolls ( bakes in the shape of a tree, of course ;) )

make your favoutite cinn. roll recipe the night before, arranging the rolls on a big cookie sheet in the shape of a tree

Let rise overnight in the fridge

Christmas morning, take out & let come to room temp while you open a few gifts. Bake as normal

All 3 are fairly easy & I know if we eat them, we won't be starving by the time dinner is off the BBQ in the late afternoon.

Blessings,

post-924-13535082732917_thumb.jpg

post-924-13535082732917_thumb.jpg

Here it is:

Breakfast Casserole

1 package of Ore Ida oval hash brown patties

1 dozen eggs

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

a little milk

Dijon or spicy brown mustard

2 cups cubed cooked ham

Spray bottom of 9x13 dish with Pam.

Line bottom of pan with hash browns (it takes 8 or 9 I think)

Sprinkle ham on top of hash browns.

Sprinkle cheese on top of ham.

Whip eggs together with some milk & a tablespoon (or so) of mustard until well blended.

Pour egg/milk mixture on top of everything.

I cover this and stick it in the fridge overnight. It can be frozen ahead too.

In the morning I bake it at 350ish for about 40 minutes.

I often substitute other breakfast meat for the ham - sausage is good or bacon (both cooked and crumbled before adding to casserole).

Hope you like it - it's such a big hit at our house!

I make this, too! Only my recipe is half this. Or maybe I halved the original and forgot that I halved it. Either way, it's a hit!

Another request for the crock-pot casserole recipe! That sounds awesome!

We usually have the over-night egg casserole, and carmel rolls. My family prefers carmel rolls to cinnamon. Some years I make them from scratch the night before, and bake in the morning, and some years I get the Rhodes Dough version and pop those in the oven in the morning. We always have to have orange juice with it.

The rest of our Christmas Day food is leftovers from the night before...a big finger-food fest! We are always home on Christmas, and usually without visitors, so this works well for us. Low stress, and makes it so that dh and I can play with the kids, rather than cook.

Usually in the past, we do an egg-and-bacon casserole and homemade cinnamon rolls, but everyone in the family is trying to eat better, so I believe we'll be doing a baked oatmeal (no eggs or anything -- I'm not sure which recipes have been posted hear) with lots of fruit (apples and dried fruits).

If we can convince her to, my mom will make homemade croissants. Real croissants. The best things. Ever.

Otherwise, maybe a Merry Christmas Coffeecake or danishes (puff pastry, with some sweetened cream cheese and then jam or fruit), and fresh squeezed orange juice. That's first thing in the morning, while doing our stockings and opening presents. We then usually make a big brunch to eat around noon or so.

We usually celebrate Christmas at my in-laws. A few years ago I felt bad that I wasn't really contributing much to the holiday meals, so I took over making casseroles for breakfast/brunch. My MIL had traditionally made omelets for everyone. But this required her to leave the kids enjoying their gifts and spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen rather than just be with the family. So the overnight egg casseroles are perfect. There are rolls and things to munch on first thing (I have kids that have to eat RIGHT away to be sane. ;)) and then around 10 or 11 I put the casseroles in for brunch. My husband's aunt usually brings bagels and danishes from Panera since she celebrates Christmas with us.

This year we're at home. I'll probably make some sort of sweet breakfast thing to munch on, Monkey Bread is my thought right now. And then we'll have egg casseroles, fruit, and whatever is left of the Monkey Bread as a late brunch.

Sausage & Cheese Strata

Ingredients:

* 8 large eggs

* 1-1/2 cups milk

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

* 4 cups (gf) French bread, sliced and toasted and then cut into 1" cubes

* 1/3 pound gf sausage, cooked and crumbled into small pieces

* 1-1/2 cups gouda, cut into 3/4-inch dice

* 1/2 cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes, drained

* 1/4 cup chives plus 1 Tablespoon, minced and divided

* 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in bread and let soak for about 5 minutes. Add sausage, gouda, sun-dried tomatoes and 1/4 cup chives; stir to combine.

Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish; pour in egg mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar.

Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.

Let cool slightly and garnish with remaining chives.

Hot Curried Fruit

* 1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks

* 1 (16.5 ounce) can pitted dark sweet cherries, drained

* 1 (15 ounce) can pear halves, drained

* 1 (15 ounce) can peach halves, drained

* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar

* 1/4 cup butter, melted

* 1 teaspoon curry powder

* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

DIRECTIONS

1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, combine the pineapple, cherries, pears and peaches. Combine the brown sugar, butter, curry, cinnamon, nutmeg and reserved juice; pour over fruit. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 35-45 minutes or until heated through.

We are also planning on lavender & rosemary Lamb with French sliced potatoes and crème brûlée for Christmas Eve, and Christmas night will be at my folks. Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding are the usual.

I will be fasting for a week after.. :lol:

I've always made cinnamon rolls. But last year I made Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls and I'll never go back to the old ones. I've made PW's rolls three times since then, and my hubby and boys are already salivating at the thought of eating them Christmas morning. I'll be making them during the day on Christmas Eve. It makes 7 round cake pans, so we'll have plenty! Served with cold milk or hot coffee. Yum!

Can you post the recipe please!!!! :tongue_smilie: