Menu

Update: Bombas vs Smartwool vs Kirkland socks

Ali in OR

I love my Bombas calf-height socks that I wear most days between October and May (navy, black, tan, gray). But they get holes on the top of my big toe in maybe 2 years time. The Costco Kirkland ones seem to last a bit longer but I heard here that last year's version were not as high quality (I didn't get any last year) and the colors/patterns aren't always a great match for work outfits. How about Smartwool? Never had any--how long do they last?

Bombas are typically 20% off over the holidays and I either need to get more or find a good replacement. What are your favorite socks like this?

Update: I did place an order to try some Darn Tough Socks (they're not here yet and they aren't a Christmas present--I'll use them immediately). Then today I got an email that Bombas are 25% off until midnight. I placed the Christmas order (the cat gives everyone socks for Christmas--very generous of him). The cat got me the usual 4-pack: calf-height merino wool in black, navy, gray, tan. I'll wrap them for him and put them under the tree.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 3

I can’t really speak to Bombas or Kirkland since I’ve never tried them. I have several styles of Smartwool, I like my hiking styles. I dislike my trouser and no show styles, they slip around my foot. 

Since you specifically have difficulty with holes, I would suggest Darn Tough, they have a lifetime guarantee and will be replaced if you get holes. I have one pair that is 5 years old and just now showing wear. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Since you specifically have difficulty with holes, I would suggest Darn Tough, they have a lifetime guarantee and will be replaced if you get holes. I have one pair that is 5 years old and just now showing wear. 

I also recommend Darn Tough.

• Like 1

I love Bombas, although I too get those big-toe-holes after a couple of years.

I've only had one pair of Darn Tough socks, so my experience is very limited and I could have gotten a dud, but I was hugely underwhelmed by the (lack of) quality. Just nowhere near what I'm used to with Bombas and Feetures. My pair didn't develop holes, but they didn't wear at all, nor did they wash well. They looked like old socks after just a couple of wearings.

• Like 2

Another vote for Darn Tough. Mine wear like iron and still look new--I've had some pairs for several years. All of mine are the thinner styles with no extra padding.

Full disclosure: the only other brands on your list we have tried are the Smartwool socks (they were a gift), and my kids put holes in them in short order.

• Like 2

In general I think Smartwool has gone down in quality at least compared to a decade ago, though I do love their ankle socks for summer. For winter socks I’ve switched mostly to Darn Tough, they last me for years and years without any wear. I’ve not tried Bombas.

• Like 3

My smart wool ones don’t last long enough to be worth it. I prefer Darn Tough, Farm to Feet, and Costco for cheaper ones (I don’t know that the Costco ones last longer, but at least I didn’t pay so much for them). I don’t ever get holes in the toes though, mine are all on the heels.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I guess I'd figure socks that lasted 2 years were doing great.

I think so, too. Like I usually only have five or six pairs of Bombas at a given time, and I wear them probably at least 360 days a year. So by the two year mark each pair has been worn and washed many, many times. Plus I sleep in mine, too.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I think so, too. Like I usually only have five or six pairs of Bombas at a given time, and I wear them probably at least 360 days a year. So by the two year mark each pair has been worn and washed many, many times. Plus I sleep in mine, too.

That sounds NICE

So little space in the drawers given over to socks

• Like 1

I used to wear Smartwool, but they seemed to not be as good quality and were constricting on my calves, so I switched to Darn Tough. I really like this brand - I've had them for about 8 years now - and no wearing thin on the heel or big toe (two places I did have trouble with after 3-4 years with the Smart Wool). I do wear them two days at a time before washing -but it's regular wash/dry with the other clothes. I wear them probably 6-7 months out of the year, and I have some light-weight shorter ones that I wear regularly in the summer if I'm wearing tennis/hiking shoes.  

But I love good socks, so I tried the quarter top Bombas socks. They are nice. But they are not as warm as the Darn Tough. I've have them less than a month, so I cannot speak to their longevity. I do not find them more comfortable than my Darn Tough socks - probably about the same. They are a little softer feeling - but they are made from mostly cotton vs. wool too. But I must admit they are very attractive. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

I have smartwool hiking socks that are 25 years old. I think my newest pair is probably 3 years old. DH is constantly stealing them from my laundry basket. I don’t think the costco ones are as high a quality, but this has more to do with them being less stretchy than anything. They feel baggy on my feet so I don’t wear them as often. I have one pair of Darn Toughs, they’re great as a summer or workout sock but are really too thin to compare in terms of warmth or blister protection. 

ETA; never had a hole in smartwool. One pair of Costco socks unraveled at the toe but that may have been a laundry problem not a sock problem 

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

Darn Tough are better than Smart Wool, imo, and I’ve owned several pairs of both. Kirkland are not remotely the same. I love them for what they are - fuzzy cushy socks with wool content and a low price point. But I will say, even in high rotation with other socks, you won’t see 2 winter seasons with them unless you wear shoes a lot. Favorite colors wear out in one. That doesn’t happen with Smart Wool or Darn Tough. I find Smart Wool has more stretch. I have long skinny feet and DT socks fit  snug. 

• Like 1

The Costco ones last year were very rough compared to previous years, but I feel like the ones this year are better and much softer. Not *quite* all the way back up to what they were previously, but MUCH nicer than last year. I’m glad they improved them. I basically live in those socks all winter. 

I haven’t tried Bombas or Smartwool so I can’t comment on those. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

The Costco ones last year were very rough compared to previous years, but I feel like the ones this year are better and much softer. Not *quite* all the way back up to what they were previously, but MUCH nicer than last year. I’m glad they improved them.

I haven’t tried Bombas or Smartwool so I can’t comment on those. 

I agree. I am wear testing this year’s Kirkland wool socks and they are comfortable. They are producing more lint than usual in those first few washes, but they are so much more affordable than the name brand socks that I stocked up there. 

The men’s socks are still horrible. They fuzzed horribly and are rough four washes in. They are not going to be used for hiking.

I also have Smartwool and Darn Tough. If I was hiking a trail, I would pack Darn Tough for the reliability as my spare socks, but for everyday wear, I go for Kirkland ones. (I wear wool socks year round.)

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like my Boombas. I got them for Christmas 2020 so I’m just coming up on the two year mark. I haven’t had any issues with holes, but I also don’t wear them as often as some of you do. I may ask for more for Christmas. One of the things I really like about them is the arch support and another is the quality of the yarn - I’ve had no pilling and no runs at all. 

• Like 1

I live in a warm climate and never owned wool socks until a purchased SmartWool socks.  I loved them, but then got some Bombas for a gift and like them even more.  I find the Bombas to be softer.  I haven't had either wear out but I am not wearing them daily.  I also have some wool REI socks that I like just about as much and they are cheaper.

• Like 1

Listening along.... I bought some fleece lined Columbia socks a couple of Christmases ago and I've got holes in one pair and the other pair nearly has holes in it. I'd like some nice thick warm socks for the winter. I've got some wool blend scout socks that are ok but not as warm as the fleece lined were.

• Like 1

I had Kirkland wool socks for a few years. I'd buy them again (they wear out but they don't wear out that much faster than SmartWool and they are a LOT cheaper).  Then Kirkland stopped selling Women's wool socks so I got Men's.  They were too big, so I washed them on "sanitize" and dried them on the "hot as hell" setting and they fit perfectly.  I got three pairs for less than I'd spend on a single pair of smart wool.  SmartWool is prettier.

I did not know about Bombas being wool; we also get Duluth (I think that is the name if I am remembering correctly) socks and they wear a bit better than SmartWool but they are a bit pinchy for DH.  

• Like 1

• Ali in OR changed the title to Update: Bombas vs Smartwool vs Kirkland socks

Update: I did place an order to try some Darn Tough Socks (they're not here yet and they aren't a Christmas present--I'll use them immediately). Then today I got an email that Bombas are 25% off until midnight. I placed the Christmas order (the cat gives everyone socks for Christmas--very generous of him). The cat got me the usual 4-pack: calf-height merino wool in black, navy, gray, tan. I'll wrap them for him and put them under the tree.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I need a cat. My youngest will be here with her cat for Christmas! I guess I need to start shopping for the presents that cat will be giving out!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

If you need yet another wool option to consider, we've also appreciated Farm to Feet socks. (Order of preference: Darn Tough (for hiking / outdoor in cold), Smartwool or Farm to Feet (for around town, or indoors, daily wear).

I've also had excellent luck shopping "irregular" socks from the men's rack (women's are more expensive here, though sometimes do have better design options, LOL).

• Like 1