Menu

HE GOT IN!!!!

Perhaps others on the HS board "know" you and yours better, but I'm guessing I'm not the only one who would appreciate a synopsis of your HS years. Pretty please?

Congratulations, by the way. That's quite an accomplishment for both of you.

Terri

As a noobie, I'd appreciate it, too!

Congratulations to your son on this achievement!

with us how you did it? What field is your ds pursuing? I'm assuming some area of science/technology/math. If so, can you please share what curriculum you used for each field and how your ds studied, applied, etc.

I'm so excited for you!

And CONGRATULATIONS TO You and your DS

Carole

with us how you did it? What field is your ds pursuing? I'm assuming some area of science/technology/math. If so, can you please share what curriculum you used for each field and how your ds studied, applied, etc!

If you only knew how this question makes me laugh! Someone is asking what I have done? :lol:

Okay--here's how I did it. I prayed a lot, I cried a lot, I sometimes screamed, often doubted, frequently despaired, generally second-guessed and between-times bit my nails. And that's really the honest truth!

But here's the story:

This ds has been homeschooled since the beginning of 6th grade. I was incredibly anxious about bringing him home, since at that time we frequently butted heads, however I have enjoyed him immensely. In one of his essays, he wrote about how he blew off his work throughout the 6th grade, until one day a friend mentioned something they were doing in the p.s. Ds apparently became alarmed, suddenly fearing that he was behind all his friends. He says this was a great motivator for him, and encouraged him to realize that he needed to get busy, or he'd be behind forever.

He is an incredibly self-motivated, self-disciplined person. Much more so than I! I'd say he began to be this way in the 8th grade and has continued to pick up speed. It was only last year about this time that he discovered MIT and set his sights on that grail. While I knew that homeschoolers had been admitted, I really had no clue whether he had a shot.

He has been entirely self-taught. Can I please emphasize that? I did nothing, other than organize a few materials, set up test dates and so forth. We discuss things, but I teach him nothing. This has included AP-level classes in chem, comp. sci, physics. He has used, and I have frequently applauded, Apologia science textbooks. He used both the Apologia chem books to score a 5 on the AP chem; both physics books to score a 5 on the AP physics B, and an 800 on the SAT Physics subject exam. Jay Wile has been his favorite "teacher", with the notable exception this year of Dr. Edward Burger and Thinkwell calculus. Otherwise, he has used a smattering of Laura Berquist's syllabi, Saxon math, Henle Latin. Nothing earth shaking here. I'm sorry if I disappoint.

I truly think he got this acceptance because of who he is. He's a kid who loves to learn, and I think that he was just his plain ol' simple self in his application--no fancy words, no big contests and awards. Just a hard working boy who wants to take himself to the limit. Beats me that that's good enough, but I think it really was.

He has played three sports at the local high school, and was able to have two coaches write recommendations for him. They were very nice, supportive and honest assessments--but nothing like what a star English teacher might have written. Just simple, straight-forward, and "storied". Without these objective recommendations, I am positive that he wouldn't have had a chance. I think the AP scores and SAT scores (two were required) also served to validate my home-made grades and demonstrate a certain level of achievement.

He is interested in engineering and physics. I think he'll use his first year or two to decide where he fits.

What more can I say? Susan Wise Bauer, these boards have been an incredible blessing to me as I attempted to guide this child. I don't do things per TWTM, because I've never felt cabable. We just struggle along as we can. But there are so many good moms on here that have offered suggestions, wisdom, ideas and encouragment. Maybe that last thing has been the biggest of all, as I have no support group in my rural area. I am SO grateful for these boards, and for all those who have shared so much here. I can't say it loudly enough: THANK YOU!!! :grouphug:

He is an incredibly self-motivated, self-disciplined person. Much more so than I! I'd say he began to be this way in the 8th grade and has continued to pick up speed. It was only last year about this time that he discovered MIT and set his sights on that grail. While I knew that homeschoolers had been admitted, I really had no clue whether he had a shot.

He has been entirely self-taught. Can I please emphasize that? I did nothing, other than organize a few materials, set up test dates and so forth. We discuss things, but I teach him nothing. This has included AP-level classes in chem, comp. sci, physics. He has used, and I have frequently applauded, Apologia science textbooks. He used both the Apologia chem books to score a 5 on the AP chem; both physics books to score a 5 on the AP physics B, and an 800 on the SAT Physics subject exam. Jay Wile has been his favorite "teacher", with the notable exception this year of Dr. Edward Burger and Thinkwell calculus.

Again, congratulations. I suspect the bolded part is what made him rise to the top of the applicants. You may think you've taught him nothing, but I think you've taught him very well.

If you only knew how this question makes me laugh! Someone is asking what I have done? :lol:

Okay--here's how I did it. I prayed a lot, I cried a lot, I sometimes screamed, often doubted, frequently despaired, generally second-guessed and between-times bit my nails. And that's really the honest truth!

But here's the story:

This ds has been homeschooled since the beginning of 6th grade. I was incredibly anxious about bringing him home, since at that time we frequently butted heads, however I have enjoyed him immensely. In one of his essays, he wrote about how he blew off his work throughout the 6th grade, until one day a friend mentioned something they were doing in the p.s. Ds apparently became alarmed, suddenly fearing that he was behind all his friends. He says this was a great motivator for him, and encouraged him to realize that he needed to get busy, or he'd be behind forever.

He has been entirely self-taught. Can I please emphasize that? I did nothing, other than organize a few materials, set up test dates and so forth. We discuss things, but I teach him nothing. This has included AP-level classes in chem, comp. sci, physics. He has used, and I have frequently applauded, Apologia science textbooks. He used both the Apologia chem books to score a 5 on the AP chem; both physics books to score a 5 on the AP physics B, and an 800 on the SAT Physics subject exam. Jay Wile has been his favorite "teacher", with the notable exception this year of Dr. Edward Burger and Thinkwell calculus. Otherwise, he has used a smattering of Laura Berquist's syllabi, Saxon math, Henle Latin. Nothing earth shaking here. I'm sorry if I disappoint.

I truly think he got this acceptance because of who he is. He's a kid who loves to learn, and I think that he was just his plain ol' simple self in his application--no fancy words, no big contests and awards. Just a hard working boy who wants to take himself to the limit. Beats me that that's good enough, but I think it really was.

He has played three sports at the local high school, and was able to have two coaches write recommendations for him. They were very nice, supportive and honest assessments--but nothing like what a star English teacher might have written. Just simple, straight-forward, and "storied". Without these objective recommendations, I am positive that he wouldn't have had a chance. I think the AP scores and SAT scores (two were required) also served to validate my home-made grades and demonstrate a certain level of achievement.

He is interested in engineering and physics. I think he'll use his first year or two to decide where he fits.

What more can I say? Susan Wise Bauer, these boards have been an incredible blessing to me as I attempted to guide this child. I don't do things per TWTM, because I've never felt cabable. We just struggle along as we can. But there are so many good moms on here that have offered suggestions, wisdom, ideas and encouragment. Maybe that last thing has been the biggest of all, as I have no support group in my rural area. I am SO grateful for these boards, and for all those who have shared so much here. I can't say it loudly enough: THANK YOU!!! :grouphug:

Congratulations! :)