Menu

Shooting at a Texas elementary school

Terabith

7 minutes ago, Lillyfee said:

Thank you.  Exactly how I feel. 

I shoot a person for coming on my property? Really? And people think that  is ok?

Most people do not have the training to decide the right thing in a split of a second and real bad criminals probably outsmart you anyways.

In theory it is not because they came into your property but because they threatened you in your property. 

2 minutes ago, Lillyfee said:

We live on base in a rural area. They even closed one gate indefinitely because it was to close to the elementary school.

It doesn't feel like a prison and no metal detectors are in place but during school nobody can go in without ringing the bell.

I thought first it was silly but now I hope when we move the schools have it too.

The military based closed the gate on the school side of the property or the school closed one gate on the base side?  Not that it matters.

I agree that needing to ding a bell to go through one gate adjacent to the military base is not at all prison-like and a basic precaution. 

But some schools have way stricter policies that are very prison population management style and I am not even slightly okay with that. 

All that aside. Again. It’s BS distraction from anything that would actually be effective. A gunman with bad motives isn’t going to be stopped by the dang entry bell. Such do nothing policies are nothing more than vain efforts at making staff and parents feel like something is being done when nothing is being done at all. 

3 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

All that aside. Again. It’s BS distraction from anything that would actually be effective. A gunman with bad motives isn’t going to be stopped by the dang entry bell. Such do nothing policies are nothing more than vain efforts at making staff and parents feel like something is being done when nothing is being done at all. 

I completely agree.  I think it’s just a matter of spheres of power and influence.  An individual principal can’t magic more funding for security measures or change state or federal gun laws, but they can require a bell at the door so they do.  

I think there are lots of reasons why we haven't passed decent gun control and others have hit on the big reasons above. I think another is that those who vote against it have yet to pay a price. They know they will be reelected even if they vote against it, and might be primaried by someone more extreme if they support it. 

Until elected officials (from a certain party - this is not a "both sides" issue) pay a price for it, they will keep on blocking measures because they can take the millions that come with their votes and rest assured they won't get primaried on that issue anyway. They can ease their consciences by telling themselves nothing can be done, we're just a violent country, blame the minorities, and we'll keep burying our children and voting them in because enough of us agree. Even if a majority of voters support reasonable gun control, they don't care enough about it to make the politicians care enough about it, and the only way to make them care is to make them pay a political cost. Frankly, we don't value life enough, even of our children, to make them.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

In theory it is not because they came into your property but because they threatened you in your property. 

The military based closed the gate on the school side of the property or the school closed one gate on the base side?  Not that it matters.

I agree that needing to ding a bell to go through one gate adjacent to the military base is not at all prison-like and a basic precaution. 

But some schools have way stricter policies that are very prison population management style and I am not even slightly okay with that. 

The school is on the base and they build it too close to the entrance gate so they closed the gate down as there is some law that the school can't be the first building after the gate or something like that. I don't exactly know.

Yes, I am so much for gun control. My dad is a police officer, my husband a soldier and I think it is insane for normal people to have guns. It causes so much more damage than positive things ever come from that. We do not have guns in the house. My dad's gun went every night in the safe immediately. We never even saw the gun. 

• Like 3

In Texas, you can sue anyone who "aids and abets" an abortion after fetal cardiac activity is detected.  I think $10,000 is the amount you can be sued for by anyone if you provide child care while someone gets an abortion or drive someone out of state for an abortion.  

Any reason you can't make a law that allows you to sue a gun owner for $10k if they leave a gun unsecured and it's used to kill someone?  Or sue gun makers and sellers?  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

My homeschooled son was thinking about taking a class at the local high school. I set up a meeting with the school counselor and while scanning the website, noticed that they mentioned locked double doors, a buzzer, and a sign in. When I got there for my meeting, I walked through both unlocked double doors and went straight to my meeting without being stopped. So much for that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, livetoread said:

My homeschooled son was thinking about taking a class at the local high school. I set up a meeting with the school counselor and while scanning the website, noticed that they mentioned locked double doors, a buzzer, and a sign in. When I got there for my meeting, I walked through both unlocked double doors and went straight to my meeting without being stopped. So much for that. 

Security Theater and nothing more, much like our airports.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Happy2BaMom said:

Dh & I know many expats at this point, and they all say the same thing - leaving the US improved their personal happiness, and reduced their personal stress levels, by orders of magnitude.

What countries have your friends gone to? I see the writing on the wall in this country and I would really like to leave. With corporations and lobbyists running the country, greed will only take us into a hellscape that is quite terrifying. Presently, I am in no position to leave - our parents are in their early 70's and financially it just isn't feasible, but I want to plan. I don't want to be a part of this corrupt society anymore.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Idalou said:

One senator a few years ago made a video of himself wrapping a slice of bacon around his rifle and firing it, then saying how yummy machine gun bacon is.

Yesterday another US congressman tweeted that the killer was a transgendered illegal alien...taken straight out of lies making the rounds of 4Chan and other extremely dangerous sites.

It sure would be nice if politician sooo concerned about 'fake news' would call it out, loudly and publicly, when it is being promoted by members of their own party.

But I guess it's only 'fake' when you don't like the narrative. 

I'll end my rant here or this is going to get political. 🤬

Edited by denarii
Typo
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Lillyfee said:

Now I have a question.

When my kids went to school the doors were always locked and you needed to ring the bell and then the office let you in after you showed your ID. Is that how it works in most US schools?

That is true for our town. City of less than 40,000 surrounded by rural areas. There is also a resource officer onsite. However, there are glass doors, and I'm sure that someone who really wanted to, could figure out a way to shoot their way in.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

I just don't know what the point is of even talking about it anymore. After Sandy Hook, it's clear that nothing will happen. No change. We just have to accept that if we send our kids to school we are risking their lives. It's just the way life is now. Another day. Another 14 children dead. It's nearly the end of the school year here, I wonder if it's the same in Texas. I thought about keeping my kids out the final 2 days because there's nothing happening, but they want to go because the end of the year is fun. 

In Australia, people voluntarily turned in their weapons because they didn't want to see another school shooting. We do away with conceal carry laws and fight background checks. We love weapons more than people. Our priorities as a nation are clear.

I saw a politician on tv encouraging everyone that wants changes not to give up - reminding us all that urgent matters in the US have a history of taking time to resolve - he referenced abolition of slavery, women voting rights, civil rights movement. All were decades in the making. It's a sad fact, but he's right about things being decades in the making. So, don't give up.

• Like 9

For safe countries to be in yesterday comparison. 

4 children died in Ukraine yesterday. 
19 died in Texas.

https://ukranews.com/en/news/859144-238-children-killed-in-ukraine-since-beginning-of-russian-invasion

Literally children in a war torn country had better odds of waking up this morning than in a small rural Texas town.

• Sad 12

4 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I saw a politician on tv encouraging everyone that wants changes not to give up - reminding us all that urgent matters in the US have a history of taking time to resolve - he referenced abolition of slavery, women voting rights, civil rights movement. All were decades in the making. It's a sad fact, but he's right about things being decades in the making. So, don't give up.

Yeah well it’s been more than long enough so it’s about dang time change finally happened. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

That’s the front door.  What’s done about the side doors to the playground, the buses, the gym, all the fire exists? 

Locked. Staff badge needs to be swiped for the door to open from the outside.

https://jezebel.com/social-platforms-have-to-do-more-to-help-prevent-mass-s-1848973416

I didn't know about the co-worker thing.

"Gunmen like the one in Uvalde—who first shot his grandmother before opening fire on an elementary school and reportedly frequently sent inappropriate messages to female co-workers—are often able to harm women without consequence, then access firearms and carry out massacres."    

Edited by Ting Tang
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Idalou said:

One senator a few years ago made a video of himself wrapping a slice of bacon around his rifle and firing it, then saying how yummy machine gun bacon is.

Yesterday another US congressman tweeted that the killer was a transgendered illegal alien...taken straight out of lies making the rounds of 4Chan and other extremely dangerous sites.

Name please?

11 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Name please?

We need to be able to separate the rational from the irrational candidates. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lillyfee said:

People need to stand up. You have a great country and great people that it's worth fighting for. There is so much potential here for all people having a good and save life. 

No, the thing is, we really don't have a great country.  We have a shit hole country that is wrapped up in wrappings of Empire that uses capitalism and guns to intimidate the rest of the world.  The only truly great thing we did nationally was the Marshall Plan.  

ETA:  Actually, I take that back.  The other good thing we did was after the revolution, we stopped killing each other and pivoted to politics.  That said, apparently that still winds up with killing each other, but with a 250 year or so delay.

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Also, I'm 100 percent for yearly safe checks, to be sure guns are IN the safe, and it is locked. If my car can be inspected yearly like it is in some states, so can a gun safe. (without notice ideally). 

And it shouldn't be that you get arrested if your gun is used in a crime if you didn't store it properly. Just not storing it properly , even if no crime was committed with it, should be enough to arrest you and slam you with a BIG fine and some jail time/community service/etc. 

Let's catch people improperly storing BEFORE the crime happens. Have an anonymous hotline to report such things. 

And a state rep from your state just tweeted to the President this morning that if he tries to take away their guns he will find out why the 2nd amendment was created. 

Edited by Idalou
  • Sad 3

28 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

For safe countries to be in yesterday comparison. 

4 children died in Ukraine yesterday. 
19 died in Texas.

https://ukranews.com/en/news/859144-238-children-killed-in-ukraine-since-beginning-of-russian-invasion

Literally children in a war torn country had better odds of waking up this morning than in a small rural Texas town.

This makes me nauseous. 

Edited by lmrich
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, livetoread said:

It’s also kind of a catch 22. In 2020, when my center reopened, we were supposed to only have one entrance door so everyone could be temp scanned, only students in classes (and faculty/staff) were allowed in, etc. Except that we also were advised to get as much ventilation as possible, open doors/windows, teach outside, etc. So, two sets of requirements that were in conflict. We have summer child care camps starting next Tuesday. We will have hundreds of kids in the building and outdoors, at the park a block away, walking to the community pool and splash park, etc-the whole plan for this summer is to try to keep as many people out of the building at a given time as we can to reduce COVID spread, because legally we can’t mandate masking, and we are up to full capacity again this summer. I don’t see any way we can keep non-authorized people out and away from the kids AND keep our kids, including some too young to be vaccinated yet, even slightly COVID safe.

I love my job. Frankly, I NEED my job for emotional reasons. It's been about all keeping me going the last few months. But the idea of us having hundreds of kids there when we have to choose between shutting them in and locking doors and maybe keeping them a little safer from a shooter, but exposing everyone to COVID (and long COVID) with no legal ability to do even minor mitigation (although they at least did upgrade the HVAC, so we have better filtration than we did last summer) or accepting that it's a completely open campus, letting the kids spend a lot of time outside, improving ventilation , and reducing everyone's COVID risk?

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

2 minutes ago, Idalou said:

And a state rep from your state just tweeted to the President this morning that if he tries to take away their guns he will find out why the 2nd amendment was created. 

How is that NOT a crime, a credible threat? 😠😠😠😠😠😠

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Idalou said:

This is why we can’t have nice things.  I hope he gets a visit from the FBI today.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Name please?

Name please?

sending you a pm - also, there is  a robust, ongoing thread on the politics forum re: 2A if you want to join.

• Like 4

Just now, Heartstrings said:

This is why we can’t have nice things.  I hope he gets a visit from the FBI today.  

Yes, and I would like that to be on prime time t.v. tonight. "Oh look, G men showed up with guns and warrants because we have finally decided that making death threats is going to be a prosecutable offense since it violates the rights of others." Oh wait. Murica. In my dreams.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Right?! Like is he openly stating his state will leave the union guns blazing if they can’t have mass shootings as their right?!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

re (state) legislation limiting gun sales to people > age 21

11 hours ago, Shelydon said:

Current laws include:

Age 21 to purchase a handgun

All guns must be locked in a safe or have a trigger lock when not in use

Guns may not be carried onto school property or any school event. 

So-- just like drug laws or DUI laws, criminals choose to violate. 

Not sure that more gun laws are the answer.  Somehow enforcing what is currently on the books would go a long way. 

My state also has such a rule; but last year the 4th circuit appeals court ruled that such laws were unconstitutional. This ruling is being appealed up through the ranks but -- barring federal legislation getting passed that withstands SCOTUS scrutiny -- well, "states' rights" are terrific, until they aren't. 

[Similarly the recent push for UCC, states' legislation be damned.]

8 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

...Explain it to me....

Is it really truly the case that your lawmakers care more about votes than lives?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

...I’m also sick and tired of seeing MH and MH meds blamed. Because there are hundreds of children and families who’s mental health will never be the same after this. I’m tired of everyone’s mental well being and physical safety being ignored while we wring our hands over what might possibly have caused these white boys to become mass shooters. ...

Every child who *survived* this attack.

Every parent whose child *survived* this attack.

Every child whose sibling *survived* this attack.

Every teacher. Every teacher's spouse.

And the elementary school kids in the town one over, who had to get on the bus this morning, trying to work out in their minds, if it happened in the town where we go to buy milk, can't it happen in my town? My school, my grocery store, my Walmart, my church?

Yes. Yes it can. The true answer is, it can happen anywhere in America.

1 hour ago, livetoread said:

... those who vote against [gun safety measures] have yet to pay a price. They know they will be reelected even if they vote against it, and might be primaried by someone more extreme if they support it....

...Frankly, we don't value life enough, even of our children, to make them.

THIS.

Mass gun shootings = a life issue.

re increasing liability when "responsible gun owners'" weapons are used in mass shootings

56 minutes ago, Terabith said:

...Any reason you can't make a law that allows you to sue a gun owner for $10k if they leave a gun unsecured and it's used to kill someone?  Or sue gun makers and sellers?  

After Sandy Hook, CT did pass legislation that imposes liability onto gun owners if guns are not secured, and then used by a third party in a crime, or accident involving a minor.  Thus far it has sustained [the usual, furious, NRA-financed] legal challenges.  (Rep Rosa deLauro (not my Rep, but from an adjacent district) has introduced similar legislation at the federal level... which has gone exactly nowhere.)

But, see above, states' rights, they're only good until they're no good, so who knows what might happen if/when such liability legislation gets challenged before SCOTUS.

This problem HAS to be addressed at the federal level.

11 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Name please?

Name please?

I can identify the latter Senator: my own Chris Murphy, who ever since Sandy Hook has been a lonely voice. He has introduced federal background check and safe storage legislation every single year since.

Here he is last night.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

A portion of the statement from NAMI - National Alliance on Mental Illness:

"Mental illness is not the problem. It is incorrect and harmful to link mental illness and gun violence, which is often the case following a mass shooting. Pointing to mental illness doesn’t get us closer as a nation to solving the problem and doing so leads to discrimination and stigma against those with mental illness — who are more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators. People across the globe live with mental illness, but only in the U.S. do we have an epidemic of senseless and tragic mass shootings."

link to full statement: https://www.nami.org/Press-Media/Press-Releases/2022/NAMI-Statement-on-Fatal-Shootings-in-Uvalde-Texas

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

34 minutes ago, Idalou said:

MY state rep. My @$#%$% state rep. He is a reprehensible human being for many reasons though this is probably the worst. He also recently called a local school board member a whore on a text exchange and threatened to pull support from Special Olympics if she was involved. Special. Olympics.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 11

27 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

This man posted a school board member's home address and phone number on his public facebook page. People showed up to intimidate her and her family because she supported mask mandates during the height of the pandemic. An investigation cleared him of any wrongdoing! 

He also blocks anyone who disagrees with him, which is supposedly illegal but he's faced no consequences.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Sad 9

25 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

This man posted a school board member's home address and phone number on his public facebook page. People showed up to intimidate her and her family because she supported mask mandates during the height of the pandemic. An investigation cleared him of any wrongdoing! 

He also blocks anyone who disagrees with him, which is supposedly illegal but he's faced no consequences.

Money and power buy entry to an exclusive club that’s above the law. There’s no way that average Joe could do what these politicians and billionaires are doing and get away without a scratch.

edited to remove a mild explicative. Though I stand by that yesterday calls for more than mild ones. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

He also recently called a local school board member a whore on a text exchange and threatened to pull support from Special Olympics if she was involved. Special. Olympics.

Quoting myself to clarify because I realized it sounds like he was texting the board member and called her a whore. He was on a text exchange with another government official and since they were discussing official business the texts were public. Not that it makes it any better.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I have not read through all the comments, just the current last page, so this may have already been said. The gunman was engaged by law enforcement before entering the building. They tried to stop him, but were unsuccessful and at least one was shot in the process. I don't see how bells, buzzers and a locked door would have prevented the gunman from getting inside though granted, having to shoot through a locked door would have slowed him down.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DawnM said:

Ammosexuals?   Ok, I have never heard that term before.

As seen in these "Christmas" family photos

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FS4w2xgWIAEXdt5?format=jpg&name=large

4 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Many many people here hunt and that venison feeds their families throughout the winter.  I can’t imagine taking away their guns.  Even without hunting, my own husband always carries a pistol when out working in the fields or the woods.  Not due to humans, but there are bears and coyotes and other wildlife that make carrying a pistol prudent.  Most people I know carry when they’re out in the woods, but maybe not so much in the grocery store or movie theater.  We’re a lot more concerned about bears than active shooters, I guess, and I wouldn’t want those people to not have access to weapons either.

It sounds like we agree that people can have hunting weapons without having the kinds of high capacity weapons they currently have access to. For the latter part, I live surrounded by such wildlife and I don't know anyone that carries in the woods. Coyotes are almost never a danger to people--certainly not to adults, and bear attacks are so incredibly rare and bear spray works well in the rare chance a bear doesn't retreat. We have mountain lions as well, and they also aren't a problem. The are shy and stay out of sight of humans. Not to say that people carrying a gun for protection in the woods are part of the primary problem here, but it's relevant that far, far, FAR more of those people will have themself or a family member killed by that gun (suicide, homicide, or accidental) than will ever use the gun to protect themself.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

Some of them (us?) aren’t just willing but they are gleefully anticipating the joy of getting to kill people trying to steal their TV. They think about it, dream about it, plan for it. There are message boards full of it.  

Yup. There is a section of the NRA magazine that goes out to members that lists off "good guy" shooter events. I read through once and was flabbergasted - pretty much every scenario seemed like it was a miracle that the good guy's gun didn' tmake the situation way worse. As in, the guy who pulled a gun and started shooting at the gas pump because someone was stealing a car. Um - GAS PUMPS and sparks/explosives? Didn't see an issue here? 

It's crazy. 

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

It was really hard to force my kid to go to school today.  Standardized testing is over, and there’s no instruction going on.  They are literally watching “Ancient Aliens” in history for the rest of the year. In a couple classes they have final projects that they spend class time working on independently.  But because there’s no real school going on, it’s super loud and my kid is overwhelmed from a sensory perspective, even with noise canceling headphones.  Noise at this school was what led my oldest kid to have a nervous breakdown that they’re a lot better but have never fully recovered from.  So I am already triggered about that with this kid.  All absences require a doctors note, and if she skips school she’ll have to take exams that she’d otherwise be exempt from and also they threaten not to give credit for the year and they threaten to report us to CPS since she’s missed a lot this year because every time she’s been sick, we have kept her home and gotten a pcr test, like we’re supposed to do.  

So I can’t keep her home, even though being at school is stupid and pointless.  Even after a horrific shooting that we will completely ignore.  

I don't know how much longer you have, wonder if you could get doctor to write a note for her to be out the rest of the year? Based on mental health?

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

https://jezebel.com/social-platforms-have-to-do-more-to-help-prevent-mass-s-1848973416

I didn't know about the co-worker thing.

"Gunmen like the one in Uvalde—who first shot his grandmother before opening fire on an elementary school and reportedly frequently sent inappropriate messages to female co-workers—are often able to harm women without consequence, then access firearms and carry out massacres."    

The correlation to domestic violence and misogyny can't be ignored. Or shouldn't be. 

1 hour ago, Idalou said:

My state sucks. I mean, the Everglades are amazing, we have gorgeous sunsets, amazing wildlife...but the politicians suck. So much. 

1 hour ago, Heartstrings said:

Me too. 

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

Right?! Like is he openly stating his state will leave the union guns blazing if they can’t have mass shootings as their right?!

Sounds right for this state's politicians. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I realized why people have to keep saying we "can't" change things. 

It is because if they admit, even to themselves, that things CAN be changed, they have to admit that they could have already been changed, and that all this was preventable. And that puts the blame on them. And they can't accept that they could be anyway at fault in any of this. So they say it can't be done, because the alternative is too awful to admit about themselves. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Where does the NRA get their money?   I’m seeing charts showing how much money they’ve donated to senators and it’s $40 million.  That’s not just coming from $200 lifetime memberships and some magazines.  Where’s the rest coming from?  I’ve never considered it before.   

I don’t think that’s too political.  

• Thanks 1

Regarding 3D printed guns - I talked to my DH about this. 

Seems that the working business parts of the gun are not 3D printed, basically just housing/handle are 3D printed. BUT those working components that you can't 3D print are things that are entirely unregulated and you can buy on Amazon. Because as long as it isn't a whole gun, it isn't a gun, so no regulations at all. 

Even more scary, because a gun has to be functional, you can buy guns to assemble where the only thing keeping it from being functional is that an inner chamber is filled with metal. All you have to do is put it in the oven and bake it, the metal melts, you pour it out, and now the gun is fully functional. But because it wasn't functional when you bought it, it wasn't a "gun" legally and no regulation. 

Obviously, these loopholes need to be fixed. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Just watched a press conference.  

Apparently he posted to Facebook  about 15 min before saying he was to shoot the elementary school.  About 30 min before he posted that he was going to/had shot his grandmother. 

A sheriff deputy lost a child 

The sheriff and mayor both blame a mental health crisis in the town

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

This is heartwrenching. I just can't comprehend how this can just keep on happening. It is so so so far from my reality. It's horrifying.

Explain it to me.

Is it really truly the case that more of your population care about the right to own a gun than the right to safely go to school/shops/concerts/church? No.

Is it really truly the case that your lawmakers care more about votes than lives? Yes.

Why in the world aren't there restrictions on gun ownership? Because a handful of psychopaths have gerrymandered the $#*! out of this nation so that the voice of the majority cannot be heard. 

I'm clearly missing something obvious. No, you’re not. America is going to hell in a hand basket. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

Apparently he posted to Facebook  about 15 min before saying he was to shoot the elementary school.  About 30 min before he posted that he was going to/had shot his grandmother. 

It’s a national mental health crisis when everyone in this nation is too {?+|?]€ mental to see the sanity in reasonable gun regulation and mental health care.

And yes the problem is mental health.

Yes the problem is very much absolutely also guns.

There needs to be no stigma in saying those obvious facts.

It doesn’t mean all mental illness is a threat. 

It doesn’t mean all gun owning is a threat.

It means we need gun regulations to reduce the chance of mentally unstable and or violent people from doing this again.

Yes, mental health is the reason people jump off buildings and bridges too.

We can address that by both addressing mental health care AND making it harder for someone to access bridge and building jumping locations.

There is no stigma or shame is saying this.

It’s only shameful to know these things to be facts and continue to do nothing about either one.  

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I have not read through all the comments, just the current last page, so this may have already been said. The gunman was engaged by law enforcement before entering the building. They tried to stop him, but were unsuccessful and at least one was shot in the process. I don't see how bells, buzzers and a locked door would have prevented the gunman from getting inside though granted, having to shoot through a locked door would have slowed him down.  

Two officers with handguns against a young man in Kevlar wielding an AR15. Go figure. 

17 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

Where does the NRA get their money?   I’m seeing charts showing how much money they’ve donated to senators and it’s $40 million.  That’s not just coming from $200 lifetime memberships and some magazines.  Where’s the rest coming from?  I’ve never considered it before.   

I don’t think that’s too political.  

Personally I think the NRA is a money laundering organization. 

8 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

The governor of TX just delivered a remarkable first half of speech emanating Biden’s somber air yesterday followed by comments that can be classified as Deflection 101. 

Did y’all see that Beto caused a ruckus? Google it up. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Honestly people are brainwashed. By NRA and the far right or something. My state has passed most of the laws proposed here.  In our area all the messaging is hurry up and buy before those crazy liberal laws go into effect.  They think the solution to school shootings is to give teachers guns.  It's ridiculous.  They are also "pro-life"😒 and anti-mask.  Many talk constantly about moving to Idaho.  I say please do 

• Sad 4

They are brainwashed and lots of politicians and organizations are terrified that people start asking questions or want change. They know if one puzzle piece is missing people will get closer to the truth.  They live from uninformed brainwashed people that think guns mean freedom.

They are so brainwashed that they sacrifice their children for some illusion of freedom through guns.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

MY state rep. My @$#%$% state rep. He is a reprehensible human being for many reasons though this is probably the worst. He also recently called a local school board member a whore on a text exchange and threatened to pull support from Special Olympics if she was involved. Special. Olympics.

That's awful