Menu

Summer in Flordia, tell me what it is like.

mommyoffive

I grew up on the Gulf coast and my impression of Miami is there’s too much crime, but I’ve only been there twice other than driving through. With the weather… It depends how you do it. If you spend all day in a/c set at 65 degrees then go outside when it’s 95-103F and 102% humidity, you’ll literally have condensation on your skin and hair and be miserable. 

If you decide to embrace it, it takes about 3 weeks to acclimate to the heat. Make sure to eat enough salt, drink more than a gallon of water, hang out on the beach or in another breezy place. Stay in the shade. Wear less clothes. Take a quick cold shower or swim every time you’re too hot. Only go in AC when you really need a break. You’ll probably lose weight and be inexplicably happy. 

If you’re going to split the difference I’d recommend sleeping with the AC on at night. It’s hard to sleep well when you’re sweaty. 

And remember that the average tourist gets a sunburn in 3 minutes. Less if it’s hot. And don’t go swimming at dusk or dawn unless it’s in a pool. Those people fishing on the beach who just threw a bucket of something in the water are probably shark fishing. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen tourists put their toddlers in the water 50 feet from someone who just poured in a bucket of chopped up fish. 

• Like 3

I lived there for abotu 10 years. You learn to use the margins of the day in the summer. So from mid may to early september, you do outdoor work in early morning and evening. Starting about 9:30-10 am, you do your indoor stuff till about 5 or 5:30. The nice thing is that it stays light outside in the summer till very late.

We did outdoor church activities as late as 9 pm.

Also, ball courts and outdoor venues were generally well lit and people used them till about midnight just to avoid the heat of the day. 

It's pretty miserable midday in FL. I lived near Tampa. You could be drenched in sweat walking between the house and the car. On the other hand, I never had dry skin there.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

What is summer like in Flordia?  Totally awful?  Are you able to go outside to do anything or is it just stay inside the whole day?  

Anyone live in the Miami area over summer?  Is that like the surface of the sun? 

It's so hot.  And then indoors everything has the a/c blasting so it's freezing inside and unbearably hot outside.  The car is burning hot too so you can't just get in and drive somewhere because everything you touch that's been in the sun will burn you. 

39 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I grew up there-  it was hell to me.  I don’t handle heat or humidity well.  I spent my childhood in a the neighborhood pool, under a sprinkler and reading a lot in my room to handle the heat. 

I grew up there, too!  North Miami!  ❤️  The heat didn't bother me then but it does now (I left in 1985).  

Also, lots of Spanish there - it really helps if you can speak Spanish.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I

It's pretty miserable midday in FL. I lived near Tampa. You could be drenched in sweat walking between the house and the car. 

I forgot about that.  You'd take a shower, go out, and then be drenched in sweat and never feel clean.  

• Like 5

I forgot how I used to calculate how long I’d be at a place and park in the place it would be shady when I came out. No matter if it was a quarter mile into the store or mall or library or wherever. Shade for the car was much more important than proximity.  I got really good at figuring out exactly how many spaces East of the big tree would be shady in two hours or whatever. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

What is summer like in Flordia?  Totally awful?  Are you able to go outside to do anything or is it just stay inside the whole day?  

Anyone live in the Miami area over summer?  Is that like the surface of the sun? 

I grew up spending summers with my grandparents in Satellite Beach. I can remember going on very brisk walks with them in the evenings after dinner. It seemed pleasant to me. We did Disney a few times in July, but I don't know how we stood it! It didn't seem like a big deal at all at the time.

It really depends on why you're asking. If you are going to be right on the beach in the summer, it's very doable because there is almost always a breeze. So where in Miami are you talking about?

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

Just now, Katy said:

I forgot how I used to calculate how long I’d be at a place and park in the place it would be shady when I came out. No matter if it was a quarter mile into the store or mall or library or wherever. Shade for the car was much more important than proximity.  I got really good at figuring out exactly how many spaces East of the big tree would be shady in two hours or whatever. 

Yes! Heck I do this in Alabama!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, popmom said:

I grew up spending summers with my grandparents in Satellite Beach. I can remember going on very brisk walks with them in the evenings after dinner. It seemed pleasant to me. We did Disney a few times in July, but I don't know how we stood it! It didn't seem like a big deal at all at the time.

It really depends on why you're asking. If you are going to be right on the beach in the summer, it's very doable because there is almost always a breeze. So where in Miami are you talking about?

By Miami City Ballet.

• Like 1

I lived in Tampa for 13 years. Summers are brutal. Seriously miserable. I could go on and on and give lots of examples, but suffice it to say that it is HOT. Unless you have a super high heat tolerance, you will want to stay indoors from 10-6. It is still really hot and humid in the evening too, but at least the sun doesn't feel as scorching.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, popmom said:

If it's indoors, you'll be fine. Rent a car or take Uber. Or book a hotel VERY close to the venue to minimize walking time.

Yes it is indoors all day.  I am just trying to figure out if it makes sense to drag the whole family there as a vacation or if it will be horrible.  I went to FL as a kid, but don't remember what time of year it was.  The only time I have been there as an adult it was January.  

15 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yes it is indoors all day.  I am just trying to figure out if it makes sense to drag the whole family there as a vacation or if it will be horrible.  I went to FL as a kid, but don't remember what time of year it was.  The only time I have been there as an adult it was January.  

That is a tough decision.  There's so much to do there - maybe a lot depends on your family's tolerance to heat and humidity.  Summer days are pretty brutal and it often storms in the afternoon.  It really feels like an oven in the heat.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Personally, I'd take the opportunity. There is so much to see. You could drive the overseas highway. 🙂 That's on my bucketlist. If your budget allows, there are plenty of nice rentals with pools, nice resorts, the BEACH. Check out the Tripadvisor forum for help on where to stay. 🙂

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, popmom said:

Personally, I'd take the opportunity. There is so much to see. You could drive the overseas highway. 🙂 That's on my bucketlist. If your budget allows, there are plenty of nice rentals with pools, nice resorts, the BEACH. Check out the Tripadvisor forum for help on where to stay. 🙂

Keep the ideas on what to do there coming.  I know nothing of the area. 

I am also possibly going to be in Sarasota this summer too. 

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

ooooh! I love Sarasota. I could live there.

For the whole fam you'll probably be better off renting a condo or house. The Tripadvisor forum is a great place to get advice on family friendly areas vs areas to avoid. I've never been to Miami, so I can't personally recommend anything.

I have been to the Sarasota/Siesta Key/Lido Key and Bradenton/AMI areas many times, so I might be a little more helpful there. You can message me.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

I have family members that live near Fort Lauderdale. They have a pool (as do most people in that area) and we are generally in the pool every day. As others have mentioned, you don't want to be out in the heat of the day unless you can help it.  Especially if you are not acclimated to the heat.

I was walking my dog at around noon at the park near the house and it was about 100 degrees with the heat index.  Miserable. So a very short walk. There was a guy that was RUNNING in the park. As in, multiple laps! So, acclimation must be possible. I just sort of stared at his awesome self.  When I run down there, I need to be out by 6 a.m. or so.  

Usually we are there in June, so I am not even talking about July or August temps, which can be higher.  

We do a lot inside when we are there, which means that it stinks during COVID, but we have had fun at some of those entertainment places (pre COVID) where they have  bowling and ropes courses and laser tag, etc.  There was one that had an indoor glow in the dark dodgeball court. That was fun. LOL

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, popmom said:

I have been to the Sarasota/Siesta Key/Lido Key and Bradenton/AMI areas many times, so I might be a little more helpful there. You can message me.

My husband's family goes to the Bradenton/Anna Maria Island area every summer.  The weather is usually a bit more mild on that side of Florida, and we like the beaches there better.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I grew up there-  it was hell to me.  I don’t handle heat or humidity well.  I spent my childhood in a the neighborhood pool, under a sprinkler and reading a lot in my room to handle the heat. 

This was the first thirty years of my life. Hell on earth. Sweating. Then sweating more. July to September were the very worst to me. I’m probably not the one to ask. 🤣 I’m so glad to live up north now. I am just a really grumpy person when I’m hot. Sarasota area is where I grew up. Truly a super cool area if not so hellishly hot.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

It really is miserably hot. Miami at least has an ocean breeze at times of day, but yeah, you stay in the air conditioning or you go to the beach or a pool. 

I grew up a few counties up from there, in the West Palm Beach area, and I mean, we kids played outside, but no one was going hiking in the middle of the day or anything. It's hot enough that you will be sweating through your bra and underwear - sometimes just in the time it takes to get the mail from the box and walk back inside. Heat rash is a real issue. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

My dad grew up in Miami, but I haven't been in decades. We used to go to Moneky Jungle, Parrot Jungle, the Miami MetroZoo, Serpentarium, etc. Most of those will be gross in the summer though -too hot! We did the zoo when my son was 2 in July for his Birthday and it was terrible. 

Look for indoor things, or water related. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I grew up a few counties up from there, in the West Palm Beach area, and I mean, we kids played outside, but no one was going hiking in the middle of the day or anything. It's hot enough that you will be sweating through your bra and underwear - sometimes just in the time it takes to get the mail from the box and walk back inside. Heat rash is a real issue. 

Oh yeah. I forgot this. Sweaty undies...miserable.

I won't repeat what others have said about the heat but I'll add rain. There are thunderstorms nearly every afternoon. If you're from a place where rain means a nice cooling afterwards prepare to be shocked. The rain just makes it steamier. It's brutal after a thunderstorm.

17 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm wearing three shirts right now and I'm inside the house.  The surface of the sun sounds wonderful to me.

And that's the reason I'll take our hot unbearable summers over a northern winter hands down.

• Like 4

My only experience with Miami (besides going through the airport) was many years ago when I was a pre-teen or early teen. Our family accompanied my dad on a conference trip. In August. 😜🥵 It was SO hot. The A/C didn't work too great in our hotel room, so the room felt sticky. We'd head to the beach, but they were dredging further out, and it stirred up the seaweed (lots of it), which would come and cling around your body, which pretty much nixed that for fun. So we'd go to the pool, which was lukewarm or hotter by August, and it was a saltwater pool--fine in the ocean, but we didn't care for it in the pool. It was not our best family vacation, to say the least.😂 However, that doesn't mean that your trip wouldn't be nice. But it will be hot.

We lived in Florida for one year. When summer waned, we said "We cannot live like this!" Dh began interviewing for jobs out of state, was offered one in September, and by October 1st we were gone! Oh, and Florida weather isn't just weather. They have weather that is insects, like love bug season. I cannot.even begin to relate to you how gross that is. I do NOT know why that peninsula was colonized.

We only agreed to visit his parents at Christmas or Easter once per year.

I am pretty certain the rain came in insect form! 😁

• Like 3

As a Floridian, I view summers the same way northerners view winters. There are fun outdoor activities available during the season but mostly I prefer to stay inside and hibernate in the A/C. There are days when just opening the front door feels exactly like opening an oven door. And the heat in the car after it's been sitting.....ouch. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

We lived in Florida for one year. When summer waned, we said "We cannot live like this!" Dh began interviewing for jobs out of state, was offered one in September, and by October 1st we were gone! Oh, and Florida weather isn't just weather. They have weather that is insects, like love bug season. I cannot.even begin to relate to you how gross that is. I do NOT know why that peninsula was colonized.

We only agreed to visit his parents at Christmas or Easter once per year.

I am pretty certain the rain came in insect form! 😁

I lived in Florida for 13 years. I met my husband in college there. When he asked me to marry him, I said that I would if he would agree to leave Florida (neither of us were natives-- I moved there at age 11 and he moved when he was 15). We moved away and he knows that it is grounds for divorce for him to even suggest us moving back. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have lived in Tampa for 3 years now.  I absolutely love it and never want to move. Wish we had moved sooner. DH and DS prefer the not so hot times but oh man I love it! I sit out on the lanai and soak up the heat. I’ve always been cold. My entire life.  Now I know what it feels like to not be cold. And acclimation is real because I wear jeans year round. Seriously, I think I have one pair of shorts that fit and no sundresses. I really should go shopping. 😂

We do have a lanai and a pool, which I consider Florida essentials. Also our yard has a lot of plants and the temp is usually 10 degrees cooler in the back yard than the front because of it.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I have lived in Tampa for 3 years now.  I absolutely love it and never want to move. Wish we had moved sooner. DH and DS prefer the not so hot times but oh man I love it! I sit out on the lanai and soak up the heat. I’ve always been cold. My entire life.  Now I know what it feels like to not be cold. And acclimation is real because I wear jeans year round. Seriously, I think I have one pair of shorts that fit and no sundresses. I really should go shopping. 😂

We do have a lanai and a pool, which I consider Florida essentials. Also our yard has a lot of plants and the temp is usually 10 degrees cooler in the back yard than the front because of it.

I should clarify that I love living in Florida, and our two days of winter about killed me this year, lol. I will never move north. But I don't go to say, theme parks or what not in the summer. Nope. Poolside I'm happy as a clam. I love the heat but I don't want to exercise in it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I should clarify that I love living in Florida, and our two days of winter about killed me this year, lol. I will never move north. But I don't go to say, theme parks or what not in the summer. Nope. Poolside I'm happy as a clam. I love the heat but I don't want to exercise in it. 

Theme parks are gross because people! 🤣 

I agree that high noon is probably not the time to do things.

I have only broken out in a sweat maybe a half dozen times down here. That drenching sweat that turns on like a faucet? Never experienced before coming here. My family on the other hand is usually sweating when I’m still wearing a sweatshirt and wondering why I look not at all affected by the heat. I usually tell them it’s because I’m still thawing out from all the AC blasting everywhere!

But mostly I just think I am weird. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I won't repeat what others have said about the heat but I'll add rain. There are thunderstorms nearly every afternoon. If you're from a place where rain means a nice cooling afterwards prepare to be shocked. The rain just makes it steamier. It's brutal after a thunderstorm.

And that's the reason I'll take our hot unbearable summers over a northern winter hands down.

I lived near Savannah for a few years and I did not hate it. I did not miss winter at all. Dh thought he was roasting alive. He loves the cold. It’s psychotic.  

• Like 2