Menu

Recurring dreams

chocolate-chip chooky

In recent years I've had an unusual recurring dream. 

I'm out somewhere, and I realise I haven't put on eyeliner. I scramble to find something, anything to act as eyeliner. Felt pen, crayon etc  I'll look in people's medicine cabinets, or I'll sneakily use a sample one in a shop. I'm desperate, clearly.

But in real life I don't wear eyeliner. I don't even own it! 🤔😄

I guess this is my weird version of going somewhere and realising you're naked?

• Haha 11

I have one where there is a hidden room at my grandparents' house, a hidden study belonging to my grandfather.
In real life, there was no hidden door there, just shelves that usually had jars of plums them, and there was no room to have a great big study because the driveway was in the way, and I would certainly have noticed a chimney. 

Unless those shelves were really a Tardis and they never said? 🤯

11 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I have one where there is a hidden room at my grandparents' house, a hidden study belonging to my grandfather.
In real life, there was no hidden door there, just shelves that usually had jars of plums them, and there was no room to have a great big study because the driveway was in the way, and I would certainly have noticed a chimney. 

Unless those shelves were really a Tardis and they never said? 🤯

Between 'study' and 'plum' and 'hidden door', it sounds like Cleudo 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The one I keep having is about our having to move out of our home. It’s deeply upsetting because we basically built it ourselves, have lived here most of our entire marriage, and have raised our grown sons here. (I moved a lot growing up). When the recession hit in 2008, things got dicey and that’s when this dream started. Fear of losing our home. Our home is paid for now, and I feel I have much better peace about things, but this stubborn dream won’t stop recurring. 

The one I had early this morning was about when we were still homeschooling, and two very tall ladies with very pale faces walked into our school room and began taking stuff right off our bookshelf. They were saying things like, “This should work for us.” “I’ll take this.”

The funny part is they had asked Dh if we had anything we weren’t using. He wanted to be helpful, so he let them come in to get what they needed!

Me and ds just sat there and watched them take his books. 

Weird.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I used to have one, but I don’t really ever remember my dreams anymore. All my teeth start falling out and I’m carrying them around in my hand s begging someone to get me to a dentist, but no one else is concerned. They tell me people lose teeth and I’ll be fine.

Goodness, it must be such a relief to wake up with all your teeth intact after dreaming that. 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My recurring dream is having to teach high school boys basketball class. I don't even play basketball. It's definitely based on being anxious about some upcoming events.

I have dreamed a couple of times about flying. Those are my all-time favourite dreams! I wish they'd happen more often. There is nothing better than the feeling of flying using your own body. 😄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

My recurring dream is having to teach high school boys basketball class. I don't even play basketball. It's definitely based on being anxious about some upcoming events.

I have dreamed a couple of times about flying. Those are my all-time favourite dreams! I wish they'd happen more often. There is nothing better than the feeling of flying using your own body. 😄

Laughing about teaching basketball…..and agreeing about the flying dreams.  They are amazing and not everyone has them.  One time I dreamed I was flying and a duck flew by me….and right behind it was my Brittany spaniel— flying-  and trying to catch the duck. 

When we went to WDW we rode the virtual flight ride….over wine country…….that is exactly how it feels to fly in my dreams.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2

I have reoccurring dreams

• trapped in the ocean with large waves and can't get to where I need to go
  • in a public place and need a bathroom and either can't find one or none of the toilets work
  • teaching at a school and I can't find my students or I can't find my classroom
  • Like 2

I've had a recurring dream for many years where I am walking through a huge, gorgeous castle and someone is there with me and telling me that the castle is mine, that I live there. It's weird because living in a castle is not something I have ever wanted to do or even thought about during my waking hours. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

I have 3: The first is that I wake up and find my parents have arrived for a week's stay. They're just on the couch hanging out and are like, "hi! We surprised you!" They live 7-8 hrs away so they would never just pop in. It's not upsetting (surprisingly, because I would be upset IRL, but I am befuddled). Then, I caught on to the recurring dream, so now, every time I have it I tell them it's probably a dream and they aren't real but they lie and say that no, of course they are really here and I'm not sleeping. LOL!

I also have a recurring dream that I find a wing of my house that I hadn't noticed before. It's whatever house is my current house and it's not hidden or secret- it's just something that has been overlooked and it is always amazing. Like rooms upon rooms, or a huge gymnasium like at a YMCA. It's a big disappointment to wake up. 

The last is super boring and frustrating. I dream that I wake up and get ready for the morning like I usually would. It's very normal and nothing that wouldn't happen any average day. If I had something pressing to do that day, then I'm doing it. Except I'm not awake and invariably those dreams happen when I oversleep and I have to do it all over again but quickly. 

• Like 1

I'm not afraid of heights irl, but often dream of being up high on an angled surface and slowly sliding toward edge with no way to stop the process. Also often dream that I need to run but my legs are heavy and slow.

I always think about flying when half asleep falling to sleep, but have never been asleep and dreamed of flying.

• Like 2

My most reoccuring dream is about spiders. Im not afraid of spiders IRL so I don't know why I dream about them. The dream itself changes, but I often dream that there is a big spider (tarantula size) crawling across the floor (or a bunch of quarter size spiders). I jump up to find it/them because they are heading toward my bedding. I jump up IRL and am looking through my bedding. Even tho I know it is a dream at this point, I still look for them for about 5-10 seconds until my brain fully wakens. 

I dream a dream about finding rooms in houses, but it is always as we are moving out and I wish I had known it was there. If I had known about the room, we wouldn't have needed to move. I figure it is about feeling like I am always missing out on things because of my life choice to keep dd15. (she is my special needs niece who I have had since she was 5mo)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I still have the one where I'm in school and don't know where my classroom is and I've forgotten to go to class for most of the semester.   I'm 52 years old, it's been a long time since I've been in school.  

I still have this one.  I'm 58.  Funny, since I went back to school 4 years ago, I haven't had this dream.  

5 hours ago, DawnM said:

• in a public place and need a bathroom and either can't find one or none of the toilets work

Mine is that I have to go to the bathroom, but every time I find one, the door won't shut, someone keeps walking in, or the walls fall down.  

I have falling dreams, usually I'm on the big slide at the park down the street from my house and I fall off and it takes forever to hit the ground.  I've had this dream since I was a little kid, probably after I fell off this slide for real.  Years later, I went back to that park and saw that the slide was not really tall at all, but in my dreams, it is like a tall building.  

I have one where I'm trapped under water and am reaching and about to die and I realize that I can breathe underwater.  

7 hours ago, Paige said:

I also have a recurring dream that I find a wing of my house that I hadn't noticed before. It's whatever house is my current house and it's not hidden or secret- it's just something that has been overlooked and it is always amazing. Like rooms upon rooms, or a huge gymnasium like at a YMCA. It's a big disappointment to wake up. 

I have one like that where I find extra rooms.  It is very disappointing when I wake up and all the big plans I made for those new rooms can't get done.

2 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I still have this one.  I'm 58.  Funny, since I went back to school 4 years ago, I haven't had this dream.  

Mine is that I have to go to the bathroom, but every time I find one, the door won't shut, someone keeps walking in, or the walls fall down.  

I have falling dreams, usually I'm on the big slide at the park down the street from my house and I fall off and it takes forever to hit the ground.  I've had this dream since I was a little kid, probably after I fell off this slide for real.  Years later, I went back to that park and saw that the slide was not really tall at all, but in my dreams, it is like a tall building.  

I have one where I'm trapped under water and am reaching and about to die and I realize that I can breathe underwater.  

Mine are like this.  I have to go but all the stalls have no doors or are full or broken.  Usually it's no doors or walls or in the middle of a room so in order to go, I'll be exposed.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

So glad to hear I am not the only one having toilet dreams, I thought I was nuts.

• Like 2

Not a recurring dream but apparently I’m feeling underprepared for school.  I dreamed that the Ed department lady came round for our meeting and I’d forgotten all about it. I didn’t have the paperwork and for some reason I was running a mini school in my home with a tribe of other kids in uniforms.

• Like 1

With the teeth one I wonder if it might be related To the idiom of something or someone "not having any teeth" - i.e. not having effective power

The eyeliner is one I've never heard. What does eyeliner mean to you, given that you don't wear it? Is it like a way of emphasizing the eyes, or having other people see your seeing organ more clearly (like you want to acquire the thing that makes your ability to see stand out more to others). I dunno, man, that one's odd

I also used to dream about new rooms in a house, mine or my grandmother's, amazing full basements of books or records or antiques, hidden attics, etc. And when I dream it, I know I've been there before and am just rediscovering it. I always assumed it was a metaphor for my self, that there were undiscovered (but subconsciously known) lands within me, full of information and treasures

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Selkie said:

I've had a recurring dream for many years where I am walking through a huge, gorgeous castle and someone is there with me and telling me that the castle is mine, that I live there. It's weird because living in a castle is not something I have ever wanted to do or even thought about during my waking hours. 🤷‍♀️

Ah, but the castle is the structure holding your own self. How neat!

• Like 1

No wait, you already connected it to being naked in a dream. And the unconscious wants eyeliner desperately to cover up nakedness, to not be vulnerably seen. It's almost like in the dream you want to cover the true nature of the eyes by obscuring/reshaping/emphasizing them with eyeliner. Jeez, now I'm curious what it means!

2 hours ago, Ceilingfan said:

The eyeliner is one I've never heard. What does eyeliner mean to you, given that you don't wear it? Is it like a way of emphasizing the eyes, or having other people see your seeing organ more clearly (like you want to acquire the thing that makes your ability to see stand out more to others). I dunno, man, that one's odd

I *think* my underlying feeling in the dream is one of being disorganised, and 'how could I have forgotten that?'

Why it manifests as eyeliner is truly a mystery. I've had a variation of the eyeliner dream many, many times now. I am odd. It is true. 

Ooh, maybe I don't want people to 'see' me as disorganised.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I used to have one, but I don’t really ever remember my dreams anymore. All my teeth start falling out and I’m carrying them around in my hand s begging someone to get me to a dentist, but no one else is concerned. They tell me people lose teeth and I’ll be fine.

Oh my gosh, I have a recurring nightmare of my teeth falling out! It’s incredibly distressing and I wake up feeling like they are loose. What does it mean?

1 hour ago, Ceilingfan said:

No wait, you already connected it to being naked in a dream. And the unconscious wants eyeliner desperately to cover up nakedness, to not be vulnerably seen. It's almost like in the dream you want to cover the true nature of the eyes by obscuring/reshaping/emphasizing them with eyeliner. Jeez, now I'm curious what it means!

Oooh, you're good! I'll have to run all my other super weird dreams by you too.

Here's a good one: I was talking with Jungkook at my local shops (as you do in your dreams, right @SKL), and I was trying to explain to him what rose gold is. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to say 'alloy' or 'copper' in Korean. And then I had to dash off to fix my lack of eyeliner. 😄

That one was an extra kind of odd, because I think I somehow read my daughter's mind. She'd been thinking about rose gold, but we hadn't discussed it. She now thinks I'm a bit magic, which is a plus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I will definitely agree that dreams are weird.  I have had various versions of the common recurring dreams.  It's always something I'd never do in real life and that would mortify me if anyone caught me trying.  😛

As for Jungkook, he's my bias wrecker, but I don't recall having seen either him or my bias KTH in my dreams.  Could just be my bad memory though.

I used to have the "can't find a working bathroom" dreams, but haven't for a while. I've also gone through periods of dreaming about parking garages, and also of being in school.

I have lots of dreams about houses, including houses with multiple kitchens among various other weird architectural choices. The most recent kitchen dream turned lucid, but, alas, I never come up with interesting things to do in lucid dreams -- I just look around and think how cool it is that I'm lucid dreaming, and that I should probably do something more productive than watching my fingers melt off or similar activity.

I dream a lot about landscaping -- what plants are growing where, what's happening to the soil, fencing, sometimes even interior rooms filled with plants and trees.