Menu

Where are you traveling in 2022?

mommyoffive

Hoping to meet up with our children at a central location in Europe for a delayed graduation celebration.  We’re also doing an international move this year, but that certainly isn’t something I’m dreaming about.  We’ll probably have three weeks to kill in the middle of it and no home to stay in, so we might not drive directly across the US.  Maybe we’ll do a food-based road trip and I’ll ask here what everyone’s local favorites are.

• Like 5

Fingers crossed nothing happens to interfere: I am tentatively scheduled to go to NYC in July. I was supposed to go in February to attend an event my daughter is coordinating (and visit), but the event is about to be officially postponed. 

I may take a couple of the days I had booked for February to do a solo camping trip, but it will be in-state, probably no more than a couple of hours from home. 

That's it for now. 

Again, if noting interferes, my daughter and her girlfriend will be visiting with us for a few days in August. She will be working an event in our area and is planning to hang out for a bit afterward.

But, honestly, other than the camping trip, I have no confidence any of this will actually happen. 

• Like 3

Maybe Disney. We were supposed to go next week, but we're recovering from Covid, so.......(3 of 5 of us got sick, not the other 2 and so now we're hoping to keep it that way).  Current plan is to go in May instead. 

We're also hoping to travel to see friends in Ohio in March. Or May. Or sometime in the summer. (plan is "Spring Break" but as that may or may not be their son's spring break, we may delay)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

Maybe Disney. We were supposed to go next week, but we're recovering from Covid, so.......(3 of 5 of us got sick, not the other 2 and so now we're hoping to keep it that way).  Current plan is to go in May instead. 

We're also hoping to travel to see friends in Ohio in March. Or May. Or sometime in the summer. (plan is "Spring Break" but as that may or may not be their son's spring break, we may delay)

I am sorry to hear your family has Covid.  Sending some get well soon thoughts your way.

• Like 4

Just now, mommyoffive said:

I am sorry to hear your family has Covid.  Sending some get well soon thoughts your way.

Thanks; we're doing okay and mostly over it. We are all fully vaxxed (and got our boosters the day before we found out we'd been exposed), so it's been very mild, comparatively speaking.  We're on our 10th day of quarantine/isolation/whatever today, and trying to sort out if we retest and it's still positive, does that actually mean we're still contagious, or.....??????  I can't figure that out/find that info anywhere, and everything just says you can quit quarantining as long as you're 48 hrs past fever & declining/no more symptoms. 

• Like 3

The Peak District in England in July - a cottage in the countryside.  If you saw the BBC Pride and Prejudice, you will have seen images of the Peak District in the rocky hill where Lizzie stands gazing, and also the village where she stays with her aunt and uncle.  The house used as Pemberley is elsewhere, however.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 13

I’m going to Disney again in February.  My sister will probably PCS out of Florida by summer, so I’m taking my youngest and doing Disney while she’s still there.

Lake Placid and North Carolina in April to speak at EMS conferences.  I’m on my way to NYC right now but that’s taking a patient there in an ambulance so I don’t think it counts.

I’m not really holding my breath about the conferences, because I fully expect another Covid variant and surge in the spring.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I’m going to Disney again in February.  My sister will probably PCS out of Florida by summer, so I’m taking my youngest and doing Disney while she’s still there.

Lake Placid and North Carolina in April to speak at EMS conferences.  I’m on my way to NYC right now but that’s taking a patient there in an ambulance so I don’t think it counts.

I’m not really holding my breath about the conferences, because I fully expect another Covid variant and surge in the spring.

Really??  Man my mind can't handle that today.   I read articles that say we are going to be in such a good place in 6-8 weeks and then one pops up about some other variant.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

We're hoping for a trip to Washington D.C./Myrtle Beach/Orlando early in the summer, and I really hope it happens, because we were supposed to go last year, and I can't handle the thought of putting it off again.

I hope you get to go.  Are you doing a road trip to get to all those locations in one trip? 

• Like 2

DD and I were supposed to take a Baltic cruise in 2020--it is rescheduled for this summer, but I don't know if that will really happen.  If travel by Americans is allowed, I will go visit DD in Austria in the summer.  We also have several aunts and uncles in their 80s and 90s in different parts of the US we would like to see as plans over the last two years were all cancelled and we haven't found a window of time to visit that we were not concerned about the possibility of spreading COVID; so, all of those plans are still in hold. 

• Like 1

We are hoping (not yet planning) for another trip to Ireland this spring, and to see more of the island. Ideally we'll spend a few days in Iceland en route. This winter we would like to meet DS overseas and spend the holiday either in Ireland or Germany— especially if my parents are able to join. 

I don’t feel particularly hopeful nor pessimistic about either at this point.

• Like 4

Montana in February for college visit. 

NC/ TN for our oldest son's college graduation and Army commissioning in May! Then some relax/ travel time for me/ hubby before long flight home. 

August- back to Montana to move ds into college. Some travel before returning home....maybe a dude ranch stay. 

And then some travel here in AK on the Kenai Peninsula before winter sets in again 

• Like 2

Atlanta for a long weekend in Feb, to see friends. That one will be a go if all are healthy. We can get away with two pit stops and we'll just hang out there house.

My favorite Caribbean island in June. 

Canceled the European cruise for August. Just can't see doing crowded cities, etc. yet.

Thinking about Utah in late summer/fall and meeting up with our kids there. 

The one thing that is making travel more expensive though, is flights... because we're only flying first class to better socially distance on the plane. It's just the two of us, now. Guess we'll pay for one for Utah, the other can drive there. 

• Like 2

It's really hard to wrap my head around "travelling for pleasure" these days. I want to visit my parents, and it would be lovely to go on a trip to celebrate our 25th anniversary. I'd love to get back to Norway and visit relatives. Now that we're vac'ed, boostered and have just had Covid it may be a good time to go. 😉 

ETA: Dh is on-board with a trip to Ireland and Norway this spring! I'm so excited. We can see his relatives in Ireland and mine in Norway. Return flights to Dublin are a great price! This really perks me up today. 😄

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, LifeLovePassion said:

We are planning a trip to Theodore Roosevelt NP in ND and Custer State park in SD with maybe a stop in the badlands. In addition to the cabin we usually visit every summer. 

Cutster State Park is my favorite place!!  I really wanted to see the Badlands and they were cool, but I loved Custer.

Edited by mommyoffive

23 minutes ago, wintermom said:

It's really hard to wrap my head around "travelling for pleasure" these days. I want to visit my parents, and it would be lovely to go on a trip to celebrate our 25th anniversary. I'd love to get back to Norway and visit relatives. Now that we're vac'ed, boostered and have just had Covid it may be a good time to go. 😉 

It has to be the best time.

• Like 3

LOL, the list is long.

This weekend, up to the U.P. to return ds to college, will make that trip twice for spring break, and then head up in April to move him out and attend commencement.

March 4 and 5, skiing at Schuss Mountain.

First week of May we head to Bozeman, MT. Yellowstone, then Badlands, then Museum of Danish America in Iowa before returning home.

Fourth week of May and 1st week of June, Indiana/Missouri/Kansas. Taking eldest ds on research trip for his book. He has ongoing leg issues, and it is his right leg (car accident) so he can't drive for more than about 150 miles without leg spasms. So I am gladly playing chauffeur.

2nd weekend of June, van camping with Mark at Huron-Manistee National Forest.

3rd weekend of June, sailing on the Lake Huron coast. Staying overnight at an airbnb walking distance from the Harbor we are sailing to.

1st week of July, at the house in Alabama enjoying our grandsons.

Sailing on weekends all through July with some overnights on shore. (We could tie up.at the transient slip and sleep below deck, but it is pretty tight on a 19 ft Compac.

1st week of August, camping with Mark and my nephew and niece in law at Tacquamenon Falls in the U.P.

Last week of August, taking eldest ds on tours of the five universities on his short list for grad school. He is taking a break now before hunkering down for more school, but plans to be enrolled full time fall 2023. He would like to get a feel for each campus and area, check out his healthcare options before applying.

Somewhere in that, potentially moving youngest ds to Wisconsin if he decides to accept the one job offer there. He also has job offers in Michigan, and hasn't discounted applying in Huntsville. So that is all up in the air at the moment.

• Like 2

I’m hoping to spend 2022 being super careful with my budget to show dh we can afford to get a camper for some nice 2023 trips.

Neither one of us is all that adventurous, so I don’t see any cross country type trips happening.  And I really, really, really like being home.  So I just want to take my “home” and sit in different “backyards”, lol.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I am intrigued. We have never been there but would have the opportunity to stop this May. Where do you stay if you are not camping?

There are a lot of places to stay inside Custer and a lot of little towns around there too.  We stayed in Hill City.

• Like 1

Okay, I am going to check it out. Maybe instead of staying three nights in Rapid City, we should do one or two in or around Custer, and then one in Wall for Badlands. Our boys LOVE Badlands, but looking at some photos of Custer S.P., I was taken!

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I am intrigued. We have never been there but would have the opportunity to stop this May. Where do you stay if you are not camping?

We actually snagged a camper cabin inside of Custer at Blue Bell campground.  There is a KOA nearby as well as several motels and hotels in the area (within 45 minutes). 

Edited by LifeLovePassion
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Okay, I am going to check it out. Maybe instead of staying three nights in Rapid City, we should do one or two in or around Custer, and then one in Wall for Badlands. Our boys LOVE Badlands, but looking at some photos of Custer S.P., I was taken!

While hiking in Custer, we came across rattlesnakes ( My kids wanted to get closer so it was NBD)!  It was pretty but it did not need as much time as Custer to take it all in IMO. 

14 minutes ago, regentrude said:

No company. Just DH and I.
ETA' Gorgeous place. Here's a pic.gossamer3.thumb.jpg.046848278c37cc87845ad21d0517254e.jpg

Amazing!  We do not have any skills so we would need a guide and some equipment. 

When we went 5 years ago we swung over to devil's Tower before we headed to the Badlands and for home.  We saw some people climbing and I was intrigued.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LifeLovePassion said:

While hiking in Custer, we came across rattlesnakes ( My kids wanted to get closer so it was NBD)!  It was pretty but it did not need as much time as Custer to take it all in IMO. 

Nope. Don't need the snakes. My family seems to always want to go hang out in places with snakes! I don't like it much. I will stick to civilized places like beaches 😁 and let them go hike for snakes.

I can only do.about two miles anyway due to my ankle which means I am always sticking to the "beaten" path, beginner trails anyway. You know, kids, strollers, etc...too crazy for the snakes. They listen to the commotion and go, "Heck no! I'm out of here." But leave it to Peter and Alexander to end up in the kinds of places normal people don't want to go just to see things I DON'T WANT TO SEE!! 😂

4 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Nope. Don't need the snakes. My family seems to always want to go hang out in places with snakes! I don't like it much. I will stick to civilized places like beaches 😁 and let them go hike for snakes.

I can only do.about two miles anyway due to my ankle which means I am always sticking to the "beaten" path, beginner trails anyway. You know, kids, strollers, etc...too crazy for the snakes. They listen to the commotion and go, "Heck no! I'm out of here." But leave it to Peter and Alexander to end up in the kinds of places normal people don't want to go just to see things I DON'T WANT TO SEE!! 😂

@Faith-manor I used to live in Bozeman many years ago and go out often. It’s such a fun town.

Have you been to Bozeman Hot Springs? If you camp there you can use the facilities for free which are nice. I think Wednesday and Sunday nights they have live music by the outdoor pools. It’s about 5 miles from Bozeman.

If no one has told you yet, bears might still be on the trails in May, even in town. There were multiple bear sightings on the Galligator Trail in town end of July last year when we went. They almost always leave groups of noisy hikers alone, though. Costco usually has bear spray if you don’t bring your own.

19 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

@Faith-manor I used to live in Bozeman many years ago and go out often. It’s such a fun town.

Have you been to Bozeman Hot Springs? If you camp there you can use the facilities for free which are nice. I think Wednesday and Sunday nights they have live music by the outdoor pools. It’s about 5 miles from Bozeman.

If no one has told you yet, bears might still be on the trails in May, even in town. There were multiple bear sightings on the Galligator Trail in town end of July last year when we went. They almost always leave groups of noisy hikers alone, though. Costco usually has bear spray if you don’t bring your own.

We are no strangers to bears. We see them frequently when we camp and hike in the U.P. These are black bears however. We have bear spray though with our hiking and camping gear.

Because we are going in early May and the hiking trails may still be snowy, the boys are not planning on going very far. When we get to Badlands, that is a different story! I will be hanging out amused by the prairie dog cities, and they'll be off who knows where. I will have a companion, my eldest son who has never fully recovered from the car accident and walks with a cane. He sticks to the boardwalks and such.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2