Menu

Omicron and school question

KSera

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whelp, ds threw up in his N95 mask at school today. I'm waiting for him to finish showering and then I'm going to run a Binax on him. He's presenting with mostly GI symptoms, but I want to run a baseline. He's only been to school in a N95 (yesterday and today), and to get a hair cut in a KF94 (Sunday) but his brother, whom he shares a room with, has been working through Christmas break.

• Sad 9

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Whelp, ds threw up in his N95 mask at school today. I'm waiting for him to finish showering and then I'm going to run a Binax on him. He's presenting with mostly GI symptoms, but I want to run a baseline. He's only been to school in a N95 (yesterday and today), and to get a hair cut in a KF94 (Sunday) but his brother, whom he shares a room with, has been working through Christmas break.

I swabbed his throat and nose—Binax was negative. 

• Like 1

Ds’ university just announced they will start Monday in person as scheduled. There is a vaccine and mask mandate on campus, but I know those things aren’t supposed to be as helpful with the new variant so we’ll see. It’s Ds’ final semester and he only has two classes left. They will be small so hopefully he won’t have any issues.

We live in the same city as the uni and students really haven’t even started returning yet. It will be interesting to see what happens to our numbers here when they do. 

41 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

Ds’ university just announced they will start Monday in person as scheduled. There is a vaccine and mask mandate on campus, but I know those things aren’t supposed to be as helpful with the new variant so we’ll see. It’s Ds’ final semester and he only has two classes left. They will be small so hopefully he won’t have any issues.

We live in the same city as the uni and students really haven’t even started returning yet. It will be interesting to see what happens to our numbers here when they do. 

My ds’ uni is starting up on Monday as well with the same constraints. I am stressed out about it, but I feel lucky that ds is trustworthy with masking and being outside.

My sister’s area has gone virtual. She has a 1st grader, preschooler, and is nannying for a k or 1st and infant. 
School states parents/caregivers must remain beside student, without distractions.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The entire world has gone mad and absolutely nothing has meaning anymore. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4

33 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

My sister’s area has gone virtual. She has a 1st grader, preschooler, and is nannying for a k or 1st and infant. 
School states parents/caregivers must remain beside student, without distractions.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh, my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That just is not going to happen.  It's bringing flashback of homeschooling with littles--toddlers nursing or climbing on my head or the table while I taught someone to read.  Potty emergencies.  homeschooling in the hall while preschooler took a long..............bath.  Giving the baby cheerios to throw one by one on the floor.  Ah, those were the days......LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

49 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think the policy makers have been lobotomized! It is the only answer to "What the hell are they thinking!" that makes sense.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I think the policy makers have been lobotomized! It is the only answer to "What the hell are they thinking!" that makes sense.

When schools go virtual, for the littles, I think teachers should be more of directors/guides.  Virtual was taking longer than homeschool because of the screen time around here.  I had considered sending my oldest back to a school this year, and now I am glad I didn't.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm dying laughing. I homeschool my Ker and simultaneously wrangle my 3 yr old and toddler and...yeah. LOL. LOfreakingL

• Like 3

I had 8 out of 12 students in today.

My co teacher who had the wedding we bailed on is out sick, got tested yesterday. Her dh already tested positive. Other wedding goers teachers & spouses have already tested positive. 

Geez, if only we could have foreseen this happening… oh wait, right. We did. 

My kids are pouting now because I didn’t let them go to school this week. I made the right call.

• Like 3
  • Sad 8

DH had a student take his mask off during the class he teaches on Monday nights. He thinks the kid took it off to unlock his phone with his face, then just didn't put it back on. After a minute when he saw he wasn't putting it back on he told the guy to do so - not sure how long it was off before DH noticed. Today that same kid messaged the class that he isn't feeling well, has classic covid symptoms, and is going to get tested. Sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

Ugh, it’s going downhill fast.

Kept my kids home last week, really want to keep them home next week too.

Honestly  I’m no t thrilled about teaching in person this week either.

At least they are fully vaccinated now.

I hate adulting. And covid. 

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

I just got a call that one of my students is positive. I spend an hour with him each day, across a table, 3 feet from me. He can't keep his mask from slipping off. 

Meanwhile, the school has no cohesive remote plan, because.... they'd rather be disorganized and scramble at the last minute if we have to go remote, apparently!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

4 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

And now we’re closed because too many staff members out sick.

Using snow days for now but maybe that will change to remote teaching later in the week, who knows?!

Oh wow. That's scary. At least you're not going to be there for a while! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

My nephew's school in FL (high school) had so many teachers out that my nephew had no teacher for four classes. So during those periods all the students went and sat in the auditorium.  Tell me why this is better than them being home? I don't get it.  

Exactly, and at the high school level, they really can handle being give textbooks, literature books, reading assignments, writing assignments. Encourage some independence. They don't be babysat in trade school or college, so let's practice some future study skills this year.

I feel like every high schooler should have been given a set of Great Courses DVDs for each subject plus the school's textbooks for the class and a stack of great literature with a list of required writing pertaining to those books and a syllabus with deadlines, and including a set of good writing examples, then told, "Hey everybody, show us what you can do!!" because that would have been a gazillion times better than the effed up mess they have now.

• Like 4

This country should have prioritized special needs instruction in person, and kept remote for the students who can manage it. And the adults, ie the policmakers, should have prioritized school over the fan economy so mask mandates enforced since the shut down, rolling minor shutdowns to put down outbreaks, rigorous testing, etc. They didn't care about children at all.

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

My nephew's school in FL (high school) had so many teachers out that my nephew had no teacher for four classes. So during those periods all the students went and sat in the auditorium.  Tell me why this is better than them being home? I don't get it.  

The argument is that kids are getting fed, have the structure of the school setting, are supervised by adults, and parents can go to work.

I understand trying to keep elementaries going, but I agree high schools could go remote. 

My kids are in similar situations—subs/communal classes in the gym.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The argument is that kids are getting fed, have the structure of the school setting, are supervised by adults, and parents can go to work.

I understand trying to keep elementaries going, but I agree high schools could go remote. 

Our elementary school has been sitting in the gym all year. When the school board announced about 11 days prior to the start of school that there wouod.be no mask mandate, no covid protocols of any kind, every single teacher, bus driver, aide, parapro, administrative assistant with enough years to retire early quit. Another 30% of the staff simply said screw this, I can find another job that is less dangerous for the same money. They began the year with more than half the staff and faculty gone, and up in the high school, they have no math teacher. Yes, you read that right. They gave the biology teacher, physics and chemistry, and an English teacher biology and life science, and promoted the physics chemistry teacher to math, chucked Pre-Calc and AP Calc, got some parents to sign their kids up for college algebra online, and basically it is nothing but straight up chaos. The young kids get taken out of the gym in groups for ten minutes of math instruction, ten minutes of reading, ten minutes of L.A. with the remaining faculty. The rest of the time they sit and doodle while watching movies. Some of the stuff they are showing should be getting them in major trouble with the law. Schools cane just show Frozen to the entire school without getting a license and paying royalties. Sigh. But I also think no on gives a crap these days.

This is what the parents, and they got it. 

• Sad 6

17 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Our elementary school has been sitting in the gym all year. When the school board announced about 11 days prior to the start of school that there wouod.be no mask mandate, no covid protocols of any kind, every single teacher, bus driver, aide, parapro, administrative assistant with enough years to retire early quit. Another 30% of the staff simply said screw this, I can find another job that is less dangerous for the same money. They began the year with more than half the staff and faculty gone, and up in the high school, they have no math teacher. Yes, you read that right. They gave the biology teacher, physics and chemistry, and an English teacher biology and life science, and promoted the physics chemistry teacher to math, chucked Pre-Calc and AP Calc, got some parents to sign their kids up for college algebra online, and basically it is nothing but straight up chaos. The young kids get taken out of the gym in groups for ten minutes of math instruction, ten minutes of reading, ten minutes of L.A. with the remaining faculty. The rest of the time they sit and doodle while watching movies. Some of the stuff they are showing should be getting them in major trouble with the law. Schools cane just show Frozen to the entire school without getting a license and paying royalties. Sigh. But I also think no on gives a crap these days.

This is what the parents, and they got it. 

Whoa. That is horrific.

We have been a mixed bag here. Vaccine mandate for all employees. Mask mandate for students and employees. Even with those we are barely keeping everything going. We get warnings from the district on the regular that they are barely keeping buses, meals, and instruction going.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

@Faith-manor, how is that legal? Doesn’t the state have mandated instructional minutes?

Well, sure. But the state isn't doing anything. The law says, no joke, that if the students are physically with the teacher, that is instruction. So if a teacher supervises the movie, it is instructional. A few years ago when we had a really tough winter and schools had to make up snow days, they did it by instructional minutes and beginning in late April, they extended the school day by 15 minutes each day. The young kids were sent outside to play, and teachers stood out on the sidewalk. No academics. That was instructional minutes, and by the tenth of June, they had "made up" the lost days. The middle and high schoolers were released to the gym and the teachers mingled. Kids read, did homework, talked, in a couple of cases started a fight or two that had to be broken up, and the baseball coach came and got his players and just to them out to practice early. No planned instruction.

Michigan is in chaos, and it isn't like this district can hire teachers or staff. Any newly qualified teachers from last year's graduating class went to school districts with better pay and with covid protocols. We have a massive teacher shortage, and the pay for just about anything else is higher so people have enough employment options that it was easy to flee the district. They wanted me to substitute. Ha ha!!!! $90.00 a day 7:30-4:00 on campus seven hours of instruction and planning on putting me in high school math and science. Well, I love to teach and have subbed in the past. They love me. I get the job done and students respond well. BUT, when I can work at Taco Bell for more money an hour than subbing without the heavy responsibility of teaching, why would I? Now the Pandemic? Hell no. It is hazardous, and the school board doesn't give a crap. I weep for the students though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, cintinative said:

I saw stories of this from kids in New York this week as well. It sounded like chaos. No learning, kids crowded into the gym due to lack of teachers and kids taking rapid tests in the bathroom that were coming back positive on site.  It’s ridiculous to call that a school day. (This was a high school, so the kids didn’t need to be there for babysitting. I think in those situations, the schools should be for those that need them, like we did early in the pandemic. And there should have been planning for this scenario (I do know of some schools that are doing that well, mostly private schools, who have been able to turn on a dime to remote learning whenever they need to.).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KSera said:

I saw stories of this from kids in New York this week as well. It sounded like chaos. No learning, kids crowded into the gym due to lack of teachers and kids taking rapid tests in the bathroom that were coming back positive on site.  It’s ridiculous to call that a school day. (This was a high school, so the kids didn’t need to be there for babysitting. I think in those situations, the schools should be for those that need them, like we did early in the pandemic. And there should have been planning for this scenario (I do know of some schools that are doing that well, mostly private schools, who have been able to turn on a dime to remote learning whenever they need to.).

I can’t even listen to Mayor Adams anymore. He keeps pushing this safer and necessary narrative and, yes, it did tug at me when he framed it in terms of inner city youth, meals, supervision, etc.  But once the words “This is just science” came out of his mouth, I was done. No. No, it is not. And I do not believe that he believes it is.
This “keeping the kids out of the streets” may be happening (ish) during school hours, but then they go from these incubators back out into the wider community after school hours.

The university where I work is continuing the same requirements as last semester: larger lectures are online so that smaller classes, in person, can be in larger rooms.  The classrooms have CO2 monitors.  Masks are compulsory in all indoor situations apart from dining rooms.  Students are asked to take a lateral flow test any day that they are due to attend a class in person, but it's not required - tests are free of charge.  Vaccination is highly recommendedt, but not compulsory - there are extra vaccination clinics scheduled. 

It all worked well last semester - there were no infections in classes, just at parties, so the teaching staff were safe-ish at least.  I'm not sure about with Omicron though.  There has been governmental criticism of such measures, however.  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/nadhim-zahawi-covid-durham-university-sunday-times-russell-group-b1989407.html

Almost all universities (yes, including Oxford and Cambridge) are quasi-public.  They are often private institutions, but because they accept government money, they cannot act completely independently.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

The university where I work is continuing the same requirements as last semester: larger lectures are online so that smaller classes, in person, can be in larger rooms.  The classrooms have CO2 monitors.  Masks are compulsory in all indoor situations apart from dining rooms.  Students are asked to take a lateral flow test any day that they are due to attend a class in person, but it's not required - tests are free of charge.  Vaccination is highly recommendedt, but not compulsory - there are extra vaccination clinics scheduled. 

In contrast to that, my university has NOTHING. No mask mandate, no testing requirement, no vaccination mandate. No distancing. Folks are "encouraged " to mask. I am dreading it. The board that makes the rules are political appointees of our governor who has declared Covid is over. Oh the lunacy.

• Sad 6

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

In contrast to that, my university has NOTHING. No mask mandate, no testing requirement, no vaccination mandate. No distancing. Folks are "encouraged " to mask. I am dreading it. The board that makes the rules are political appointees of our governor who has declared Covid is over. Oh the lunacy.

I'm sorry.  To be a scientist and having to work in those conditions must be particularly galling: the dissonance between the subject you are teaching and the situation you are having to teach in.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yeah, for high school this is insane. Heck, have everyone watch 5 hours of PBS and spend an hour a day on Khan doing math and they'd be further ahead. (true story, that realization is why I started homeschooling. I kept my kid home from school because he was sick and we watched PBS all day on the couch. He told me he learned more that day than in the entire school year so far. He wasn't lying.)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, KSera said:

Right, and if our middle school and high school sent home all of the main streamed students for two weeks of virtual learning, and only had special needs face on, those buildings could be used to space out the elementary students to helm squash the outbreak. If they also bought some cases of KN94/95, and made those students wear them, I would consider substitute teaching under those circumstances. Give me ten students in a classroom that seats 35 and an air purifier with all of us masked at that level, and despite the dismal pay, so would do it for two weeks in order to help tamp this down because Michigan is in a horrible state of crisis. But these parents are so damn "covid is a hoax and everyone is lying, and freedumbs" that they would rather have their children getting NO instruction, shoulder to shoulder in a gymnasium than have them wear a mask. I would volunteer to supervise recess and eat and have my water outside just to help protect my family, toss my clothing in the washer and shower when I got home just in case I was infused with virus in droplets.

Since they are letting dimwitted parents run the show, they can't get anyone to assist.

Michigan just passed an emergency bill allowing anyone on staff at any school for anything, lunch room, bus driver, custodian, whatever to be a substitute teacher or basically supervise/babysit students and call that instructional minutes. While some of them might have the heart to actually try to teach something, but most are just going to take the emergency sub pay on top of their regular salary, and not really give a thought to what they could do with the kids.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

And another thing. The town itself has become a partial ghost town since so many businesses have left the area. Numerous, very nice stores are empty so at the beginning of the year since the city council owns most off them due to back taxes, they offered them for use to the school as a way of spacing out the kids. Basically, put 12 students to a store, get a substitute teacher and aide so there are two adults, and then you have easily isolated groups. Several churches volunteered to make brown bag lunches, each church taking one store front class per church FOR FREE, and also saying they could probably rustle up some volunteers for the classrooms as well. Frankly, a retiree reading good books aloud, showing science and history videos, and working simple math problems on a white board, handing them the math and language arts textbooks and say "start working forward, do what you can" would be a hell of a lot more education than these kids are getting now. But the school board and superintendent were horrified. No way. Couldn't imagine how that would work. What a crazy idea...and their most unbelievable thought was basically, "How dare the community get involved!" They have no idea how to think outside the box, and no desire to even solve their problems or give anything different a try. Just haul them to the campus, pretend everything is fine, don't attempt to give them an education, but keep that per head funding rolling in.

It should be a crime. The superintendent and school board should be arrested. Every principal for the district quit. Every.one.of.them. They just couldn't stomach it. Three were younger and not ready to retire, but ended up with good jobs in management at a company 30 minutes from here that is expanding. Their message on social media is don't go into education. Do anything else! 

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Sad 9

DH has his first day back in person after a week of virtual after break. I texted him, "I hope everyone enjoys all the normal today!"

People in places where schools were closed last year are seeing the same stuff we saw last year here where they were open: you can't just wish away the pandemic. If community spread is out of control, schools will be affected no matter how much you pretend everything's fine. Last year my husband's school was open most all year with a virtual option, but during surges it was often just a couple of kids in his room watching him teach on a computer. 

Anyway, we'll see how it goes, I guess. Georgia just declared that asymptomatic positive teachers can just go right on teaching and that schools don't have to contact trace anymore...i.e. you might well be sending your kid to school with a teacher who has covid and the school never has to tell you. Also our school district just reported the biggest number of cases ever last week when no one was even in school yet. But at least they reinstated the mask mandate...until January 21. So probably everything will be great. 

• Sad 6

5 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

And another thing. The town itself has become a partial ghost town since so many businesses have left the area. Numerous, very nice stores are empty so at the beginning of the year since the city council owns most off them due to back taxes, they offered them for use to the school as a way of spacing out the kids. Basically, put 12 students to a store, get a substitute teacher and aide so there are two adults, and then you have easily isolated groups. Several churches volunteered to make brown bag lunches, each church taking one store front class per church FOR FREE, and also saying they could probably rustle up some volunteers for the classrooms as well. Frankly, a retiree reading good books aloud, showing science and history videos, and working simple math problems on a white board, handing them the math and language arts textbooks and say "start working forward, do what you can" would be a hell of a lot more education than these kids are getting now. But the school board and superintendent were horrified. No way. Couldn't imagine how that would work. What a crazy idea...and their most unbelievable thought was basically, "How dare the community get involved!" They have no idea how to think outside the box, and no desire to even solve their problems or give anything different a try. Just haul them to the campus, pretend everything is fine, don't attempt to give them an education, but keep that per head funding rolling in.

It should be a crime. The superintendent and school board should be arrested. Every principal for the district quit. Every.one.of.them. They just couldn't stomach it. Three were younger and not ready to retire, but ended up with good jobs in management at a company 30 minutes from here that is expanding. Their message on social media is don't go into education. Do anything else! 

Do your school districts have textbooks?  Ours don't.  You can't just send kids somewhere with the textbooks, because they don't have books for any classes.  

It's a huge problem in math, where my kid's algebra 2 class is taught by a permanent sub, and we're trying to teach her algebra 2 at home, but we have no idea what they're "doing in class" really.  

18 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Do your school districts have textbooks?  Ours don't.  You can't just send kids somewhere with the textbooks, because they don't have books for any classes.  

It's a huge problem in math, where my kid's algebra 2 class is taught by a permanent sub, and we're trying to teach her algebra 2 at home, but we have no idea what they're "doing in class" really.  

Hardly any textbooks here either. My 4th graders have a math workbook but we do not have science, social, or ELA books- teachers just gotta buy units off TPT or wing it ourselves from the standards. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kokotg said:

He reports 100% attendance in first period. Hey, maybe everyone already had omicron over the break and this will go better than expected! fingers crossed! 

This is the only hope I keep having. So many people have been sick, maybe the worst got done with over break??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kokotg said:

He reports 100% attendance in first period. Hey, maybe everyone already had omicron over the break and this will go better than expected! fingers crossed! 

Most of DDs friends at the high school did have it over the break. So did, probably, DS. His school is all virtual this week because last Friday there was 20% absenteeism. The district voted to go mask optional on 12/13 and eliminate mandatory testing at the high school and then reversed itself (on the masks anyway) on New Year’s Eve. You can’t make this stuff up. The high school had half as many absences as the middle schools with 700 more kids in the building. Virtual school here means the teachers are in class, broadcasting live to their students at home. They’re maintaining the same bell schedule.

Edited by Sneezyone

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Yes, ours have textbooks. Parent backlash a few years ago for wanting digital downloaded to tablets. One of the few parent backslashes I agreed with.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Yes, ours have textbooks. Parent backlash a few years ago for wanting digital downloaded to tablets. One of the few parent backslashes I agreed with.

That's awesome!  It would be far easier to teach my dyscalculic kid algebra 2 if there was a textbook and a scope and sequence rather than lessons being "whatever random worksheet/ topic the permanent sub decided to do - badly - today."

4 minutes ago, Spryte said:

What are the policies you are all seeing for kids with Covid positive family members?

In our district, as long as a kid is asymptomatic and vaccinated they are to come to school. Masks are not required.

Is that happening elsewhere, too?

Students here are required to mask. Asymptomatic, vaxxed exposures can come to school but not asymptomatic unvaxxed. I’m not sure how much the guidance is being followed tho. A cubic butt ton of middle schoolers aren’t vaxxed and that’s where we’re seeing major issues district wide.

• Like 1