Menu

Best love story novel

Calizzy

I am kind of obsessed with Dr Zhivago, but if you want a lighter read, some of Nora Roberts' books could be good. Some of her stand-alones can be gory but some are nice like the 'key' trilogy. A more modern book is Geekerella by Ashley Poston- it's about a geeky fangirl going to a comic con and falling for a nice boy -obviously based on Cinderella. I really enjoyed this! Naomi Novik's book Uprooted is a fantasy with a romance, and there's Robin McKinley's fairytale retellings (eg Beauty) which are romances. 

Edited by bookbard

On 12/31/2021 at 9:55 PM, Rosie_0801 said:

‘The Bride Test,’ by Helen Hoang. I thought it was going to suck but it was so cute I stayed up to 1am to finish it, even though I am plenty old enough to know better.

Been there, done that, have the perfect meme. image.png.99706af138979887382b618939019734.png

On 1/1/2022 at 3:19 AM, bookbard said:

I am kind of obsessed with Dr Zhivago, but if you want a lighter read, some of Nora Roberts' books could be good. Some of her stand-alones can be gory but some are nice like the 'key' trilogy. A more modern book is Geekerella by Ashley Poston- it's about a geeky fangirl going to a comic con and falling for a nice boy -obviously based on Cinderella. I really enjoyed this! Naomi Novik's book Uprooted is a fantasy with a romance, and there's Robin McKinley's fairytale retellings (eg Beauty) which are romances. 

I'd pick Nora Roberts,. But given the Dr. Zhivago and Austen suggestions I'm guessing my idea of beach reading is different than the rest of the board, lol. 

Favorite Nora Roberts are:

Legacy -  https://amzn.to/3mOapjK  Never mind - that was NOT a favorite, lol. 

Chasing Fire - https://amzn.to/346O3Dk

The Chesapeake Bay series - https://amzn.to/3pX2YJ3

I have lots of other contemporary romance authors I read if you want suggestions - just need to know sweet vs heat, suspense or not, etc 🙂

On 1/1/2022 at 10:33 AM, Harriet Vane said:

Modern light—first two books of Jan Karon’s Mitford series

Juvenile fantasy but sooooo well written—Beauty, by Robin McKinley. If you like fantasy fiction, her books are a delight.

Agreeing with the Jane Austen recommendations. I also love Jane Eyre.

Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand

Thank you, off to look up Beauty for my daughter! 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you, off to look up Beauty for my daughter! 

Robin McKinley was my first favorite author. I discovered her books in high school (started with The Hero & the Crown and The Blue Sword, which are a little more challenging than Beauty.) Just a word of caution: Deerskin is not a book for children. Read reviews, lol. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

Robin McKinley was my first favorite author. I discovered her books in high school (started with The Hero & the Crown and The Blue Sword, which are a little more challenging than Beauty.) Just a word of caution: Deerskin is not a book for children. Read reviews, lol. 

Than you!

I just ordered Beauty for her, will be here by tomorrow!

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 8:55 PM, Rosie_0801 said:

‘The Bride Test,’ by Helen Hoang. I thought it was going to suck but it was so cute I stayed up to 1am to finish it, even though I am plenty old enough to know better.

Have you read the other books in the series? They are The Kiss Quotient and The Heart Principle. They’re all pretty good. 😊

• Like 2

An oldie, but very amusing, with a mystery to boot: Crocodile on the Sandbank (Peters). It is set in the 1880s in Egypt, and follows a very determinedly "modern-minded" British woman who goes to Egypt in the hey-day of early archeology. Entertaining, well-written, sparky-verbal sparring, and a bit of a parody of the old British adventure novels in foreign countries.

[Note: sadly, the series tanks quickly after the first book, and the author guts her wonderful characters, turning them into paper-thin stereotypes, and makes them a bit mean-spirited.]

On 1/1/2022 at 8:33 AM, Harriet Vane said:

... Juvenile fantasy but sooooo well written—Beauty, by Robin McKinley. If you like fantasy fiction, her books are a delight...

Those who like Robin McKinley's Blue Sword, Hero and the Crown, and Beauty, might also enjoy Naomi Novik's Uprooted, but especially, Spinning Silver. 

Also possibly Patricia McKillip's The Changeling Sea.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Those who like Robin McKinley's Blue Sword, Hero and the Crown, and Beauty, might also enjoy Naomi Novik's Uprooted, but especially, Spinning Silver. 

I liked both of those (loved Uprooted! — though just a heads up for those looking for ideas for younger kids, there is a fairly adult s3x scene in the book…)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

I liked both of those (loved Uprooted! — though just a heads up for those looking for ideas for younger kids, there is a fairly adult s3x scene in the book…)

Thank you! I was assuming this was adults who are willing to read YA or mature YA/adult 😉 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I read that as a FAIRY adult s3x scene … and not gonna lie, I was momentarily intrigued. Completely lost interested when I re read it’s just humans. lol

Edited by Murphy101
  • Haha 8

I have read for fun so little in recent years…..all that comes to mind is Love Story and Message in a Bottle.  Also Anita Shreveport has a couple of good love stories….one partic stands out but the name escapes me. 

Nicholas Sparks is sappy to me, but when I read Message in a Bottle, my then husband woke up from a nap to find me sobbing and he thought someone had died.  It was the scene when he said something to his dead wife about feeling guilty about finding someone new and the dead wife said to him, ‘ Silly man, who do you think sent her to you.’  

Sorry for the spoiler for the 1 person on the planet who has not read that book.  

3 hours ago, MooCow said:

The Flame and the flower can't remember the author 

2 hours ago, Danae said:

Kathleen Woodiwiss

I remember that one! I read it decades ago! 

Not exactly Dr. Zhivago or Jane Austen… but a lot more fun! (Also kind of trashy, if I remember correctly… 😉 )

If I’m looking for beach reading, I want light and easy. Literary masterpieces need not apply.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Oh, and if you are up for four novels, the romance between Harriet Vane and Peter Wimsey in -

Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon.

Definitely favorites. Love the way Sayers weaves a solid mystery through the romance. Takes the time to really develop the characters as well as their relationship. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I remember that one! I read it decades ago! 

Not exactly Dr. Zhivago or Jane Austen… but a lot more fun! (Also kind of trashy, if I remember correctly… 😉 )

If I’m looking for beach reading, I want light and easy. Literary masterpieces need not apply.

I was introduced to her work when A Rose in Winter was excerpted in Good Housekeeping.  So yeah, decades ago.

Edit:  also books with sex and happy endings written by women are no more trashy than books with sex and depressing endings written by men.  Why the one gets disparaged and the other wins literary awards is one of the great mysteries of the age. (Or not.)

Edited by Danae
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Danae said:

I was introduced to her work when A Rose in Winter was excerpted in Good Housekeeping.  So yeah, decades ago.

Edit:  also books with sex and happy endings written by women are no more trashy than books with sex and depressing endings written by men.  Why the one gets disparaged and the other wins literary awards is one of the great mysteries of the age. (Or not.)

Because patriarchy does it's job really really well.  If it's written by women, for women, about what women want then it MUST be trivial and trashy.  In romance the jerkwads don't get away with their crap and that's a dangerous precedent . . . better to denigrate the entire genre.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Because patriarchy does it's job really really well.  If it's written by women, for women, about what women want then it MUST be trivial and trashy.  In romance the jerkwads don't get away with their crap and that's a dangerous precedent . . . better to denigrate the entire genre.

Yup. 

Oh, and romance is "formulaic" because it always has a happy ending. But no one says mystery books are formulaic because they always figure out who done it in the end. Funny how that works. 

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 11:54 AM, Lori D. said:

Also possibly Patricia McKillip's The Changeling Sea.

I read Spinning Silver last night.  I thought the ending was very sudden and rather rushed. I would not have called it a romance but I did enjoy it until that point. 

• Like 2