Menu

2022 Acceptances

MamaSprout

All my dd's college decisions are in - thought I'd share.

Accepted:
Stanford (REA)
UC Berkeley (Regents scholar)
UCLA
USC
Vanderbilt
UNC Chapel Hill
LSU
Alabama
Arizona State University
U of South Carolina
U of Florida

Rejected:
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara
Harvard

• Like 28

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, mirabillis said:

Accepted:
Stanford (REA)
UCLA
USC
Vanderbilt
UNC Chapel Hill
LSU
Alabama
Arizona State University
U of South Carolina
U of Florida

Rejected:
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara
Harvard

Congrats! Would you mind sharing what kind of ECs she's done? I am currently debating whether to send my academically-accelerated DS back to PS for EC/leadership/award opportunities. Need some inspiration. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mirabillis said:

Accepted:
Stanford (REA)
UCLA
USC
Vanderbilt
UNC Chapel Hill
LSU
Alabama
Arizona State University
U of South Carolina
U of Florida

Rejected:
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara
Harvard

Wow, congrats to her!!!! Are you in CA? If so, would you also mind sharing if you used a PSA or a homeschool charter?

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 1:11 PM, fourisenough said:

Stuff like this really turns my stomach. It just seems so greedy and gross. Getting to see the acceptances just pile up in a folder? What is this a game where you’re earning badges? A process that allows/encourages this illogical, selfish behavior (and media that reward it by publishing these same stories year after year) needs to be reformed; she can only attend one school. 

While I agree that scholarships shouldn't be totalled as if they are cumulative and that there is a pernicious effect when the media plays up these stories, there may be some additional context for this particular situation. 

She wants to become a vet and has chosen Tuskegee University, which offered a full tuition scholarship for undergraduate and has an associated veterinarian college. I think affordability was a big driver. 

I haven't read a full list of the schools she was admitted to, but wonder if some were on the Common Black College Application. This app has a $20 fee. Students list their priority colleges, but all participating colleges can send an admissions offer. So a high stat student might have a few dozen colleges offering them a seat. 

• Like 3

On 4/8/2022 at 11:41 AM, mirabillis said:

Accepted:
Stanford (REA)
UCLA
USC
Vanderbilt
UNC Chapel Hill
LSU
Alabama
Arizona State University
U of South Carolina
U of Florida

Rejected:
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara
Harvard

I wasn't able to send you a message. My son graduated from Stanford last year. Please reach out if you have questions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eos said:

It's been a very long wait but dd has an excellent offer from Dalhousie for grad school.  She loves the primary professor, so it's 99% sure though she is still waiting to hear back from King's in London. She's very happy. 

Congratulations to her!

• Thanks 1

My DD has made a college decision! She will be attending Michigan State University’s Honors College and School of Nursing in their direct-admit Nurse Scholar program. The excellent merit she received, paired with funded undergraduate research from the first semester, sealed the deal. The huge school, sports culture, Greek system, and opportunity to live near family again (after four years away at residential ballet school) were also factors in her decision. 

I’m so relieved 🥲 that it’s over and I’m thrilled that we can roll-over her 529 to youngest DD and cash-flow her BSN since she picked such an affordable option! She’s going to begin her college experience with a first-year seminar abroad in Iceland before school starts at the end of August. I’m only a little jealous!

• Like 28

2 hours ago, fourisenough said:

My DD has made a college decision! She will be attending Michigan State University’s Honors College and School of Nursing in their direct-admit Nurse Scholar program. The excellent merit she received, paired with funded undergraduate research from the first semester, sealed the deal. The huge school, sports culture, Greek system, and opportunity to live near family again (after four years away at residential ballet school) were also factors in her decision. 

I’m so relieved 🥲 that it’s over and I’m thrilled that we can roll-over her 529 to youngest DD and cash-flow her BSN since she picked such an affordable option! She’s going to begin her college experience with a first-year seminar abroad in Iceland before school starts at the end of August. I’m only a little jealous!

yay--congrats to her! 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 7:09 AM, gstharr said:

Congratulations! My 11th grader is gearing up for the application process.  Just curious if the southern schools are the big money NMF schools?

We applied to the Southern schools b/c we're originally from the South so have an affinity for it... UofAlabama is known for full-rides for NMF and even high ACT/SAT. LSU also says they have good scholarships... we found, in practice, UofAlabama/LSU/UofSouthCarolina not so great with the award money. UNC Chapel Hill was nearly a full ride. Haven't got all the award pkgs yet... but she wants to stay in state anyway. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Hurray!  Congratulations to you both!

• Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 10:32 PM, Serenade said:

My younger son has been accepted into the mechanical engineering program at UNC-Charlotte.  He's also been accepted into engineering at Western Carolina. He's waiting on a decision from NC State.  He'll be a junior transfer student so notifications don't go out until April 15.  A few days ago he got an update from NC State saying that they are actively considering his application and to please submit his current grades for this semester as posted on Sakai, Blackboard, Canvas, etc. I'd like to think that was a positive thing, since he was able to post all As, but I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up for him.  So meanwhile, we continue to wait.  It's so frustrating because he can't make plans for UNC Charlotte until he knows about NC State. I guess we will have a very busy end of April, no matter which way the NC State decision goes. 

Well, my son found out today that he was waitlisted at NC State, and from what we've read, there is little chance that he will end up being accepted.  So now we will make plans for UNC Charlotte, although some of the excitement is lost following the NC State decision.  I guess the important thing is that he was accepted into an engineering program, which has always been his dream.  

• Like 15

On 4/19/2022 at 9:38 AM, fourisenough said:

She’s going to begin her college experience with a first-year seminar abroad in Iceland before school starts at the end of August. I’m only a little jealous!

Congrats to your dd - but Iceland?!? Is this a summer thing all incoming freshmen are eligible to do or a specific program your dd is involved with? How cool is that?!?!

On 4/19/2022 at 3:09 PM, mirabillis said:

We applied to the Southern schools b/c we're originally from the South so have an affinity for it... UofAlabama is known for full-rides for NMF and even high ACT/SAT. LSU also says they have good scholarships... we found, in practice, UofAlabama/LSU/UofSouthCarolina not so great with the award money. UNC Chapel Hill was nearly a full ride. Haven't got all the award pkgs yet... but she wants to stay in state anyway. 

Can you explain what do you mean by UofA not being great with money in practice? I was looking at majors and didn’t know they have the only cancer biology major in the country. We’ve never been to the South (all our lives in California) and will not travel for college tours. They sure have a lot of majors that our local university does not offer. 

3 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Can you explain what do you mean by UofA not being great with money in practice? I was looking at majors and didn’t know they have the only cancer biology major in the country. We’ve never been to the South (all our lives in California) and will not travel for college tours. They sure have a lot of majors that our local university does not offer. 

That caught my eye as well since our experience is otherwise. Bama allows scholarships to stack. For example, if they receive the Presidential scholarship (automatic), they can receive an RRS scholarship,  a dept scholarship, and an alumni scholarship and none of them will impact the other.  The RRS program is phenomenal for students who want to do research and it opens up even more opportunities. (UA has Goldwater winners every yr.  If you search their site for Goldwater Scholarship winners, you can easily read about some of the UG research their students are doing.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

I was looking also and they give automatic $28k for certain SAT scores, which brings down out of state cost to $10k. That’s amazing.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 2:37 AM, crazyforlatin said:

My DD is currently attending on NMF scholarship.  We are out of state,  and the price is practically nothing.  Mostly personal expenses!  Travel expenses fo add up, but its a great school, especially if your kid earns high merit aid.  We decidedin December without a visit due to Covid.  We finally got to travel there in Feb or March of Sr year.  

• Like 4

DS just graduated  summa cum laude from Ohio State with a major in Linguistics and minors in History and Turkish. He's been accepted into the Masters program in Near Eastern Studies, so he'll be staying there for a couple more years. Eventually he wants to do a PhD, but hasn't decided whether he wants to pursue Linguistics or something more related to Near Eastern/Central Asian studies.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 26

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

DS just graduated summa cum laude from Ohio State with a major in Linguistics and minors in History and Turkish. He's been accepted into the Masters program in Near Eastern Studies, so he'll be staying there for a couple more years. Eventually he wants to do a PhD, but hasn't decided whether he wants to pursue Linguistics or something more related to Near Eastern/Central Asian studies.

Congratulations! Sounds like a very interesting path. 

• Like 2

My son applied to App State and NC State.   He was accepted at App and was wait listed for NC State pending some more info which he never submitted because he wanted to go to App.

Those are the only 2 he applied to.

He is heading to App State in Aug.

• Like 15

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

My son applied to App State and NC State.   He was accepted at App and was wait listed for NC State pending some more info which he never submitted because he wanted to go to App.

Those are the only 2 he applied to.

He is heading to App State in Aug.

Congratulations!

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2022 at 9:38 AM, zibby3 said:

I have been enjoying watching this list grow! I have 3 to add to the list: Edinboro University, Azusa Pacific University, and Lipscomb University. My daughter chose Lipscomb! 

I hope she enjoys her years in Nashville! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nothing like the last minute for my severe ADD kid, but he decided he wanted to check out Liberty U after taking 2 years off of college, so we drove up yesterday, did a tour today, and he was accepted and they have assessed his transfer credits.

Looks like he is going to Liberty in 3 weeks.

I will have one at App State and one at Liberty this Fall.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 11

On 5/13/2022 at 11:06 AM, Corraleno said:

DS just graduated  summa cum laude from Ohio State with a major in Linguistics and minors in History and Turkish. He's been accepted into the Masters program in Near Eastern Studies, so he'll be staying there for a couple more years. Eventually he wants to do a PhD, but hasn't decided whether he wants to pursue Linguistics or something more related to Near Eastern/Central Asian studies.

Did your DS ever get to use Greek in college? I'm hoping I got the right kid, wasn't he in Barr's class for a number of years? 

21 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Did your DS ever get to use Greek in college? I'm hoping I got the right kid, wasn't he in Barr's class for a number of years? 

Yes, that's him, he took four years of Greek and two of Latin with Lukeion, as well as some courses in literature and art. Unfortunately he didn't continue with Greek in college, he ended up switching to Turkish and minoring in Turkish and Central Asian Studies. As a senior he did take a couple of graduate level seminars in Indo-European language evolution, though, so his background in Ancient Greek came in handy there. And Lukeion can certainly take credit for his major in linguistics, as his interest in the theoretical study of language can be traced directly back to Regan's terrific Barbarian Diagrammarian class. That foundation set him up for success in Greek and Latin, and then he started self-studying Old Norse, Turkish, Old English, and a few other languages, as well as reading linguistics texts for fun. That allowed him to really hit the ground running when he got to university, as he was able to jump right into 300 & 400 level linguistics courses as a freshman.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Yes, that's him, he took four years of Greek and two of Latin with Lukeion, as well as some courses in literature and art. Unfortunately he didn't continue with Greek in college, he ended up switching to Turkish and minoring in Turkish and Central Asian Studies. As a senior he did take a couple of graduate level seminars in Indo-European language evolution, though, so his background in Ancient Greek came in handy there. And Lukeion can certainly take credit for his major in linguistics, as his interest in the theoretical study of language can be traced directly back to Regan's terrific Barbarian Diagrammarian class. That foundation set him up for success in Greek and Latin, and then he started self-studying Old Norse, Turkish, Old English, and a few other languages, as well as reading linguistics texts for fun. That allowed him to really hit the ground running when he got to university, as he was able to jump right into 300 & 400 level linguistics courses as a freshman.

I should have Dd look into linguistics as a possible major rather than classics. She loves languages and learning about their origins. 

• Like 1