U of South Carolina

University of Southern California x 2

University of Texas San Antonio

University of Texas at Dallas x 2

University of Toledo

University of Utah

Univ of Vermont

Utah State University

Utah Tech University (formerly Dixie State)

Valparaiso University

Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt/Blair School of Music

Weber State University

Western Carolina University x 2

Whitman

Wheaton

Willamette

Xavier University x2

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 17

Three acceptances out of three applications! He's had scholarship offers from 2 of the 3. Honors college acceptance from one of those. Waiting to hear about honor college admittance and scholarships from the 3rd. Of course that one is his top pick. I'm relieved we have acceptances to talk about at Thanksgiving with family as everyone doubted us from the beginning when we started homeschooling 8 years ago. Quite nice to have outside validation.

Looking back at the application process, it was easier than anticipated in that there were absolutely no questions from any of the schools. I knew from lurking on this site that homeschoolers are accepted just about everywhere but the worrier in me really expected an inquisition. The "mommy" transcript was accepted without a blink of an eye. 

He's so ready to spread his wings to fly...he's even talking packing list for the dorm already 🙂

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, ShepCarlin said:

Three acceptances out of three applications! He's had scholarship offers from 2 of the 3. Honors college acceptance from one of those. Waiting to hear about honor college admittance and scholarships from the 3rd. Of course that one is his top pick. I'm relieved we have acceptances to talk about at Thanksgiving with family as everyone doubted us from the beginning when we started homeschooling 8 years ago. Quite nice to have outside validation.

Looking back at the application process, it was easier than anticipated in that there were absolutely no questions from any of the schools. I knew from lurking on this site that homeschoolers are accepted just about everywhere but the worrier in me really expected an inquisition. The "mommy" transcript was accepted without a blink of an eye. 

He's so ready to spread his wings to fly...he's even talking packing list for the dorm already 🙂

Would you be willing to share school names? (As a PM is fine. Once there are 2-3 of us I’ll start a list so it’s not quite so identifiable as to whose kid is which school.)

Hi, thanks for starting this thread. DD has been accepted to all of her rolling admissions schools:

University of Detroit Mercy (Accelerated 5-year PA)

Butler University 

Xavier University (Direct-admit Nursing)

Loyola University Chicago 

Michigan State University (Direct-admit Nursing)

Seattle University (Direct-admit Nursing)

She is awaiting 2 EA decisions (Deferred to RD by both) and 5 regular decisions. Exciting times! Actually, it sort of feels weird to be in this in-between stage; it seems like we should probably be doing something, but it’s a curiously quiet/slow time as far as my guidance counselor role! If invited, she’ll have a secondary application process for the specific program (accelerated PA) to which she has applied at one of the above admits. It will involve a day on campus with in-person interviews and essay writing. Fingers-crossed she gets invited!

ETA: She received notice today that she’s invited to interview for the PA program!

2nd ETA: Essay/Interview for accelerated PA program was held today virtually. DD said it was intense, but she felt good about it. Decisions should be released by mid-December. 

Edited by fourisenough
Updated with specific, secondary admit majors/programs where applicable
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2021 at 1:41 PM, fourisenough said:

Hi, thanks for starting this thread. DD has so far been accepted to 5 of her 6 rolling admissions schools:

University of Detroit Mercy

Butler University 

Xavier University

Loyola University Chicago 

Michigan State University 

She is awaiting 2 EA decisions (December/January) and 5 regular decisions. Exciting times! Actually, it sort of feels weird to be in this in-between stage; it seems like we should probably be doing something, but it’s a curiously quiet/slow time as far as my guidance counselor role! If invited, she’ll have a secondary application process for the specific program (accelerated PA) to which she has applied at one of the above admits. It will involve a day on campus with in-person interviews and essay writing. Fingers-crossed she gets invited!

ETA: She received notice today that she’s invited to interview for the PA program!

2nd ETA: Essay/Interview for accelerated PA program was held today virtually. DD said it was intense, but she felt good about it. Decisions should be released by mid-December. 

DD was just accepted to the Accelerated 5-year Physician Assistant program for which she interviewed a couple of weeks ago. This school is nowhere near her top choice, but it’s wildly affordable and a very great program. I’m so glad she’ll have the option to attend!

• Like 27

18 hours ago, fourisenough said:

DD was just accepted to the Accelerated 5-year Physician Assistant program for which she interviewed a couple of weeks ago. This school is nowhere near her top choice, but it’s wildly affordable and a very great program. I’m so glad she’ll have the option to attend!

And the roller coaster ride continues… Today DD was deferred to regular admission by a school to which she applied during early action. It isn’t much of a blow because this school was the most expensive on her list (via NPC) and would have most-likely been unaffordable.

Edited by fourisenough
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Mine doesn't know what his first choice is! That's probably good. Right now, we're five for five though, so it could turn into an issue if he still doesn't know when they're all out!

That part was agony with my oldest! He didn't deposit until April 30, if I remember right. It makes sense--it's a very big decision--but I still kind of wanted to tell him to just pick one out of a hat and be done with it 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kokotg said:

That part was agony with my oldest! He didn't deposit until April 30, if I remember right. It makes sense--it's a very big decision--but I still kind of wanted to tell him to just pick one out of a hat and be done with it 😂

I think he'll pick before then. He tends to be pretty decisive. I think right now he has two top choices and he'll hear from one today or tomorrow and the other by mid-January, so at least he'll have some time. He'll have three more that didn't offer EA that don't send decisions until March, but I think by that point, they'll just be out of the running. Probably.

Dd received an acceptance - her first! - from UCF (University of Central Florida) yesterday. It is one of her top two choices. So now she is really indifferent to any other acceptances, but one. And now we wait, as we won't hear from her other top choice until March. 

• Like 20

43 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Mine doesn't know what his first choice is! That's probably good. Right now, we're five for five though, so it could turn into an issue if he still doesn't know when they're all out!

That's okay as long as he's applied to where he eventually wants to go.

One of my older DSs changed his mind and tried to apply somewhere different in March. That didn't work out for him the way he thought it would.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

Mine is one and done. His grades on his national exams gave him guaranteed entrance, and University of Canterbury has a Master of Disaster Risk and Resilience program there. His plan is to complete a 3-year UG in Environmental Science with a major in Environmental Hazards and Disasters, and then go for the masters. He is interested not in crisis management or disaster planning, but in avoiding disasters through better societal planning (this is called resilience). 

Plus, when he is done, he gets to say he is a "Master of Disaster". 🙂

• Like 27
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

Mine is one and done. His grades on his national exams gave him guaranteed entrance, and University of Canterbury has a Master of Disaster Risk and Resilience program there. His plan is to complete a 3-year UG in Environmental Science with a major in Environmental Hazards and Disasters, and then go for the masters. He is interested not in crisis management or disaster planning, but in avoiding disasters through better societal planning (this is called resilience). 

Plus, when he is done, he gets to say he is a "Master of Disaster". 🙂

This seems like a much more relaxing process for you this go-around! Congrats to your son! 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kokotg said:

With my older two, there were still visits occurring late in April. This one might play out that way, though she already seems to be leaning toward a school. Interestingly, it was one that did not appeal to her at all initially. But they have been so attentive and personal that it seems to be winning her over.

• Like 2

Congratulations to all! Mine didn't decide last year until April because we couldn't visit many schools. (Although since my kid went with the school that was the Reachy, dream "Only if you get enough money and the stars align" school, in 20/20 hindsight, we could have been done in December.,...)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GoodGrief3 said:

This seems like a much more relaxing process for you this go-around! Congrats to your son! 🙂

Yes! Compared to the hell I went through to help my older boy apply to elite American universities as an international homeschooler, this has been a walk in the park. 🙂

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

Drexel and Indiana University. Whew. This week has exhausted me. Six for six all in the last week. Almost certainly no more until mid-January.

That’s an interesting variety of schools you have going at your house!

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

That’s an interesting variety of schools you have going at your house!

Children of college consultants have it rough, lol.

Honestly, there's a relatively clear set of threads there. But not much geographic continuity at all. While there were some compromises around affordability potential and appealing programs, he wanted midsize schools in cities or large towns in ux design, game design, and industrial design, especially with strong co-op and internship programs.

ETA: Keep in mind that we don't have in state options, folks, which is part of the diversity of my kid's list.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I am waiting with baited breath to see where all of your kiddos end up (and dreading next year). It's all so exciting as an observer!

You and I both. 🤣 

When I think about what awaits us next year and how incompetent I feel about putting it all together, I can’t breath. 

Congrats to all of you! 🎉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kiddo has heard from two of three schools, both with nice scholarships, a nice financial aid package for one and waiting to see if she gets an additional competitive scholarship at the other (but haven't received the FA pkg. from the other).  All three were CTCL schools because my kid screams "liberal arts student."  (In fact, that is what one of her admissions counselors told us after interviewing her: "We talked about Homer vs Virgil, and Latin, and goat-raising, studio art, and history. She's a liberal arts kid for sure," he said.)  Kalamazoo College and the College of Wooster so far.  If she has a preference she's keeping it to herself, hah!

• Like 16

DS made his decision this week...he chose Western Carolina University! He was accepted to their Honors College and it seems like a great fit for him. We had one more visit up there last week so he could spend the night in a dorm with a friend and then met with the honors college people the following day. It is his happy place! I'm relieved he is so excited and ready to go. Deposit has been sent and he is busy working on scholarship essays. 

• Like 18

hooray! DS-TheYounger is doing the DanceOfJoy 🥳  over here. He applied ED to Northwestern, who announced today. He got in!

Very excited.  Next step is to apply to their IntegratedScience major (reports vary from 50% to 10% on the fraction of incoming freshmen who apply to that major who are accepted, so no idea how nervous to be). Either way, he's headed to NU and it'll either be Chem or IS&Chem.

• Like 24

DD was accepted to Seattle University with good merit. We’ve basically ruled it out (for reasons that have little to do with the school itself), but it’s always nice to be asked! 

So, that’s 6-for-6 on the safeties. The target/lotteries are all outstanding. January-March is going to be…interesting! Not going to lie, I’m a little jealous of all the ED applicants who were admitted; I’d be very happy if DD knew where she was going to college at this point in senior year!

• Like 13

Not sure I am eligible to play, since mine was not homeschooled for high school (he was for K-8th, though), but my CO '22 is going to Calvin University. He was one-and-done on college apps, as were his two siblings before him. He plans to major in computer engineering but wanted a small, preferably Christian, school where he could play baseball. That is a very, very small universe of schools. When the Calvin coach offered him a roster spot, he was in. Baseball recruiting for the CO '22 is not for the faint of heart; COVID-inflated rosters are leaving lots of good players, and good kids, with no baseball home. We are all so thankful that he is landing somewhere that is such a great fit.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, mirabillis said:

My dd#2 applied REA to Stanford and just found out Wednesday she was accepted!!! Can't even believe it. We're all still in absolute shock. So incredibly excited!!! She still has a bunch of RD applications in - so waiting on word on those in the spring too. 😄 Will keep y'all posted.

That's awesome. My son graduated in June. Let me know if I can answer any questions. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 6:12 AM, plansrme said:

Not sure I am eligible to play, since mine was not homeschooled for high school (he was for K-8th, though), but my CO '22 is going to Calvin University. He was one-and-done on college apps, as were his two siblings before him. He plans to major in computer engineering but wanted a small, preferably Christian, school where he could play baseball. That is a very, very small universe of schools. When the Calvin coach offered him a roster spot, he was in. Baseball recruiting for the CO '22 is not for the faint of heart; COVID-inflated rosters are leaving lots of good players, and good kids, with no baseball home. We are all so thankful that he is landing somewhere that is such a great fit.

Congrats! One of my older ones carefully consdered Calvin for engineering, and visited once after acceptance. It's a really great option.

• Like 2

I'll add my teen's three acceptances received so far:  Kalamazoo, Knox, and Beloit.   DD said, "Well, you're officially going to college next year!"  Of course, none of us ever had a doubt.  But the whole homeschooling journey is full of ups and downs, convictions and, doubts that it's hard to always feel confident in the outcome! I have always thought that STEM-focused kids would have been so much easier to teach and guide.  They are almost self-propelled! Or at least that's what I see from the outside 😉  Preparing liberal arts kids sometimes feels like sailing without a rudder! 

We have more schools we're waiting to hear from but any of these three are perfectly acceptable to my teen.  And I am grateful that are affordable for us, given the combo financial aid package and scholarships offered. So we're letting out huge sighs of relief here.

Congrats to everyone on the acceptances!

• Like 14

3 hours ago, threedogfarm said:

I'll add my teen's three acceptances received so far:  Kalamazoo, Knox, and Beloit.   DD said, "Well, you're officially going to college next year!"  Of course, none of us ever had a doubt.  But the whole homeschooling journey is full of ups and downs, convictions and, doubts that it's hard to always feel confident in the outcome! I have always thought that STEM-focused kids would have been so much easier to teach and guide.  They are almost self-propelled! Or at least that's what I see from the outside 😉  Preparing liberal arts kids sometimes feels like sailing without a rudder! 

We have more schools we're waiting to hear from but any of these three are perfectly acceptable to my teen.  And I am grateful that are affordable for us, given the combo financial aid package and scholarships offered. So we're letting out huge sighs of relief here.

Congrats to everyone on the acceptances!

congrats! Knox was on my oldest's son's list, and we visited--it's a neat place!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Farrar said:

Clark! This is the one I'm pulling for him to choose and while it was basically a match, it was also his biggest reach, so I'm super thrilled. Didn't we have someone else with Clark on the list?

woot! I always hear great things about Clark!

• Like 1

Clark is on our list but we haven't heard anything from them yet.  We liked the school.  We visited twice, once just to walk around by ourselves and once for the tour and interview.  There's a term called the "Clark distance."  Since everything is so close on campus, the students report a distorted sense of distance 😉  Things that are close in real life seem far by Clark standards. I loved their tour.  They sent families out on individual tours–one family group per tour guide so the tour could be very personalized.  I even felt like they matched the tour guide to my teen's interest.  Clark's library has been our favorite so far but we've only toured colleges on the East Coast.  We planned to go to the Midwest next month (fingers crossed).

Congratulations to your son!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denise in IN said:

DS3 got his acceptance into Computer Science at Purdue today - so excited!  Purdue is his one and done, the only real question was whether or not he could get into CS.  So now he can move forward with all of his pending plans.  😁

I didn’t think Purdue released until tomorrow…. just shouted upstairs.