Menu

2022 Acceptances

MamaSprout

I have absolutely not seen a "drag" for homeschoolers with the UC's or with selective schools in general. I think everyone likes to give these things a big post-mortem and look for something to blame. But sometimes it's not super logical from the outside. They call them lottery schools for a reason. Homeschoolers are not the only ones baffled and in misery with these schools this week. You can see the same complaints people are making here on PFC101 and College Confidential - people saying, but so and so got in, my kid's school undermined them, my kid chose the wrong activity to stand out and they just don't get that it was more intensive than so and so's empty activity, that teacher screwed my kid over, etc. etc. It's natural to want to make excuses. At the level of schools we're talking about, sometimes it's just inexplicable.

I have seen many homeschoolers make naive decisions and think their student is more prepared or looks better on paper than they do. I'm not saying that's anyone on these boards, but I've definitely seen people think their kid is above where they are in terms of how they're going to stack up. The only homeschool "drag" that I've seen is families who do the minimum and think it's enough or don't really have an understanding of what coursework will actually make a student competitive. Or families who undermine their kids with poorly made supporting paperwork or bad decisions throughout the process.

This board lately has a lot of talk about this supposed "drag" on homeschooling in admissions, so obviously it is something people talk about. I will say... it does exist at some very specific schools and the CSU's are obviously one group of them.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I have seen many homeschoolers make naive decisions and think their student is more prepared or looks better on paper than they do. I'm not saying that's anyone on these boards, but I've definitely seen people think their kid is above where they are in terms of how they're going to stack up. The only homeschool "drag" that I've seen is families who do the minimum and think it's enough or don't really have an understanding of what coursework will actually make a student competitive. Or families who undermine their kids with poorly made supporting paperwork or bad decisions throughout the process.

This board lately has a lot of talk about this supposed "drag" on homeschooling in admissions, so obviously it is something people talk about. I will say... it does exist at some very specific schools and the CSU's are obviously one group of them.

I dont spend as much time on these forums anymore bc of the shift in caliber in active posters. This yr and maybe next yr's class are probably the last hurrah of a decent number of highly academic kids on these forums. I looked at the 9th grade thread a couple of days ago and 1 student will be taking alg 2, 2 geo, and the rest alg 1. So, an inevitable shift in conversation to "homeschooling drag" will be nothing more than a fulfillment of your observation.

I tried to talk with a few people this yr about MIT and yes to your assessment that people see their kids more competitive than they really are. That said, I am shocked with Arcadia's son's rejections bc her kids are so academically advanced. What more do CSU's want? Definitely some sort of discrimination there.

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I have absolutely not seen a "drag" for homeschoolers with the UC's or with selective schools in general. I think everyone likes to give these things a big post-mortem and look for something to blame. But sometimes it's not super logical from the outside. They call them lottery schools for a reason. Homeschoolers are not the only ones baffled and in misery with these schools this week. You can see the same complaints people are making here on PFC101 and College Confidential - people saying, but so and so got in, my kid's school undermined them, my kid chose the wrong activity to stand out and they just don't get that it was more intensive than so and so's empty activity, that teacher screwed my kid over, etc. etc. It's natural to want to make excuses. At the level of schools we're talking about, sometimes it's just inexplicable.

Does not match my experience (in terms of what I’ve seen) nor that of at least 3 other people on this thread. I would like the PSA to stay up here, and I am personally never recommending anyone do this for high school if they have certain goals, with the special caveats upthread.I am personally turning my life inside out to make sure I never have to do this with DD, and she may even be in a category where it makes sense per my caveat…

And this is not a post Mortem on my child. We have been shocked and delighted at his absolutely amazing results. I’m passing on what little wisdom I’ve gained, just like everyone else. I guess what we do on these boards is pass on anecdotes, and so here’s mine🤷‍♀️

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 8filltheheart said:

I dont spend as much time on these forums anymore bc of the shift in caliber in active posters. This yr and maybe next yr's class are probably the last hurrah of a decent number of highly academic kids on these forums. I looked at the 9th grade thread a couple of days ago and 1 student will be taking alg 2, 1 geo, and the rest alg 1 with lots of TT and MUS listed as texts. So, an inevitable shift in conversation to "homeschooling drag" will be nothing more than a fulfillment of your observation.

I tried to talk with a few people this yr about MIT and yes to your assessment that people see their kids more competitive than they really are. That said, I am shocked with Arcadia's son's rejections bc her kids are so academically advanced. What more do CSU's want? Definitely some sort of discrimination there.

I could tell some serious stories about the "thinking you're more competitive than you are" thing, but I'm bound. Suffice it to say that, yeah. Some people don't have an accurate sense of what's really academic. Or they have an inflated sense of their own kid. Which! Hey, we all should on some level. Because all our kids are awesome and deserve a parent who thinks that. It's just that that doesn't always help in making rational college admissions decisions.

With the CSU's, it absolutely is discrimination in some cases. But schooled kids in CA face it sometimes too for other reasons - like with transcript discrepancies for both the UC's and the CSU's. They're really looking in CA for any reason not to admit a student because the schools are so overcrowded.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

@rzberrymomalso I was told you might not need to complete igetc if you are transferring for science. 

Yes, the school of chemistry IGETC at Berkeley has much less on the list than the IGETC for the school of letters and sciences. So hopefully my kiddo can track down more possibilities like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madteaparty said:

As tempted as I am to say “all’s well that ends well”,  even with his great results, there is no doubt in my mind  with selective schools and selective programs, and unless you are in a particular category, there is a homeschooling burden/drag that occurs.  Absolutely. I wish people were more open about this, though to be honest if someone had told me I would not have believed them. 

Yes, I so so wish we could be more open and honest about this on this site. We do homeschoolers a disservice by downplaying the very real dilemma for CA kids.

I also think things have changed in the last few years, since standardized tests were eliminated and ELC became king here. I wonder how many of the anecdotes I read on here are still the case. And again, I only mean at the selective campuses—I know there is still room for us at the campuses that admit 90% of applicants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Unbelievable. And yet my friend's kid got into UCLA Engineering with no more than Calculus BC as a senior and not even any substantial ECs. 

I am going to remain angry for your boy. Just shocking really. 

@rzberrymom. We had a good laugh over UCLA’s generic rejection letter though. It read something like “If you are still interested in becoming a Bruin, you could apply as a transfer” and list the transfer webpage’s url. 

• Like 3

Well, I personally know a ton of kids who got into UCB and UCLA from the local high school. please let me roll my eyes 🙄. Once a week half an hour meeting for Model UN as an extracurricular and straight A’s (not uncommon in our high school). Mediocre AP scores. But our high school sends at least 10-15 kids into UCLA and UCB every year, many of them heads below some of homeschool kids who have gotten rejected, and some private school kids as well. There is no question in my mind that UCs are biased against homeschoolers especially of certain race and getting rid of SAT let’s them be even more discriminative. There is a reason I have a younger kid in PS. 
@Arcadiain your case, I am sorry and furious. Your boys are the definition of merit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

Which is why I obviously stated CA is it's own world. Most homeschoolers dont have a problem getting into their state's public U's.  And not all privates knock homeschoolers, either. 

I should be clear, my kid didn't homeschool high school. Even the public schoolers are getting beat up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@rzberrymom. We had a good laugh over UCLA’s generic rejection letter though. It read something like “If you are still interested in becoming a Bruin, you could apply as a transfer” and list the transfer webpage’s url. 

Dd's best friend got rejected from Pepperdine and dd said the letter read like a break up. It's not you, it's us. She said there was only one sentence in the whole letter that made it clear that it was a rejection. They read it in a British accent to cheer themselves up.

• Like 2

I feel compelled to add that I get that living in a state where you don't have great access routes to your in state schools is hard. I live in a not-a-state that effectively does not have any state public school options at all. Nor do I have something like the WUE to access. Instead, I get an amount of money for publics that simply does not make up the difference between in and out of state tuition at the vast majority of publics and pretty much not at any public flagship level schools. So I have no in state level tuition options at all.

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, Farrar said:

I feel compelled to add that I get that living in a state where you don't have great access routes to your in state schools is hard. I live in a not-a-state that effectively does not have any state public school options at all. Nor do I have something like the WUE to access. Instead, I get an amount of money for publics that simply does not make up the difference between in and out of state tuition at the vast majority of publics and pretty much not at any public flagship level schools. So I have no in state level tuition options at all.

This is why we chose to move back to the states rather than stay overseas. We wouldn't have access to in-state tuition anywhere unless we did or used the GI Bill (and at the time we weren't sure which kiddo would be the best candidate for it).

• Like 1

DD found out she got accepted at Purdue back in January but wasn't sure if she'd go there or the CC because of finances. Yesterday she got an email that she received a $4000 per year scholarship from Purdue, which combined with living at home makes it approx the same amount as CC. So that made her decision for her! 😊

Edited by Momto6inIN
Eta: I posted without reading through all the replies. I didn't mean to sound like I was bragging about my DD while others are disappointed 😕
  • Like 30

45 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

DD found out she got accepted at Purdue back in January but wasn't sure if she'd go there or the CC because of finances. Yesterday she got an email that she received a $4000 per year scholarship from Purdue, which combined with living at home makes it approx the same amount as CC. So that made her decision for her! 😊

That’s great! Congratulations to her and to you, mama!

• Like 1

Dd18 has all her decisions in. She got into every school she applied to (did not apply to any super selective schools).

So her options are: 

Utah State University

Utah Tech University (formerly Dixie State)

Weber State University

Southern Utah University

Brigham Young University Provo

Brigham Young University Idaho

She got full tuition scholarships to USU, UTU, WSU, SUU and BYU-I.

Her current plan is to defer while she serves an LDS mission and then attend SUU as a theatre major.

She was disappointed to not get direct admission into their BFA program, but they admit most BFA students after freshman year and I think she will have a good shot then. She would be starting out as a theatre BA or BS major.

• Like 26

42 minutes ago, maize said:

Dd18 has all her decisions in. She got into every school she applied to (did not apply to any super selective schools).

So her options are: 

Utah State University

Utah Tech University (formerly Dixie State)

Weber State University

Southern Utah University

Brigham Young University Provo

Brigham Young University Idaho

She got full tuition scholarships to USU, UTU, WSU, SUU and BYU-I.

Her current plan is to defer while she serves an LDS mission and then attend SUU as a theatre major.

She was disappointed to not get direct admission into their BFA program, but they admit most BFA students after freshman year and I think she will have a good shot then. She would be starting out as a theatre BA or BS major.

Doesn’t it feel great to have a decision made?! I’m just a little envious! Congratulations to your daughter & you.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, GoodGrief3 said:

I did not realize Dixie State had changed its name. Interesting!

Congratulations to your daughter! Sounds like a good plan!

It's been under discussion for years as people have become more aware of/sensitive towards the negative connotations of Dixie. Becomes official this summer, but they're already using Utah Tech in most communications we have received.

Seems like a positive move; the school is growing and has some interesting things going on. Dd wants a smaller school though.

• Like 1

It's been a wild roller coaster over here! Schools that we'd thought were a solid match/safety resulted in waitlists or denials while others that were "shoot-for-the-moon" have been acceptances. 🤯

Poor kid is reeling from all the unpredictability as we've had to re-focus any planning energy on schools he hadn't really expected and letting go of schools he felt he knew really well.

Looks like all the results will be in by April 1st. What's left are two schools that feel "safe" and three that are essentially lottery schools - so we have no idea what to expect! 😅

He still has a couple major (also unexpected) scholarship interviews coming up - so even though we're over halfway through the process, we still have very little true information to go on. Some of the scholarships aren't announcing until the second week of April. 🥴

Lots of upcoming visits since his accepted schools aren't the ones we expected our fall visits didn't touch the "longshot" schools. Of course!! 🤪

• Like 9

19 hours ago, fourisenough said:

DD was accepted to Boston College today. So far she’s 1/1 of the /8 RD apps we were still waiting on. Feeling very grateful tonight. 

And the roller coaster ride continues! DD was waitlisted (soft reject as last year only 68 made it in from waitlist of 13K!) by Michigan, our in-state flagship. I just have no words. Well, I have words— they just aren’t fit to write on a public forum! So maddening. So I guess she’s now 1/2 of her 8 RD’s.

Never more grateful for the safeties we already have in our pocket!

• Sad 11

7 hours ago, fourisenough said:

And the roller coaster ride continues! DD was waitlisted (soft reject as last year only 68 made it in from waitlist of 13K!) by Michigan, our in-state flagship. I just have no words. Well, I have words— they just aren’t fit to write on a public forum! So maddening. So I guess she’s now 1/2 of her 8 RD’s.

There is a running joke in my social circles that UMich likes cash rich Californians more for their engineering school. Sorry for the disappointment.

ETA: 

one of the origins of the “joke”

https://www.michigandaily.com/uncategorized/02jesse-klein-relative-wealth16/ (February 2015)

”My family’s household income is $250,000 a year, but I promise you I am middle class. I live in a $2 million dollar house, but I promise you I am still middle class. It has one story, doesn’t have a pool or its own movie theater. It is a modest three-bedroom, two-bath.

… Many University students are also from well-off backgrounds. In Fall 2011, 63 percentof the class of 2015 reported a family income of $100,000 or more.

… Out-of-staters are known to have money — how else could we afford the $50,000 tuition costs? But middle class is a varied group of people. What is deemed important enough to save up for and what something is worth in dollars can be extremely diverse.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, fourisenough said:

(soft reject as last year only 68 made it in from waitlist of 13K!) by Michigan,

They have a waitlist of 13,000 students?!?! Like, what is the point?!?! Do they turn anyone down outright?

Once BK had a couple rolling-admission safeties under his belt, the first thing we did was wax poetic about all of the wonderful opportunities of those schools. It's helped as other things have gone sideways - he's been able to touch back to those "already accepteds" and already had solid positives in his head. I'm so glad we spent that time to really focus on the good parts of those schools before any "no's" came along.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, easypeasy said:

They have a waitlist of 13,000 students?!?! Like, what is the point?!?! Do they turn anyone down outright?

Once BK had a couple rolling-admission safeties under his belt, the first thing we did was wax poetic about all of the wonderful opportunities of those schools. It's helped as other things have gone sideways - he's been able to touch back to those "already accepteds" and already had solid positives in his head. I'm so glad we spent that time to really focus on the good parts of those schools before any "no's" came along.

Surprisingly, yes, they do reject some applicants. Allegedly there were 83k applicants, and they admitted roughly 16k for an acceptance rate of about 19%. Applications have gone up from 55k pre-pandemic to this year’s 83k— about 50% increase! (These are numbers A/Os used in info sessions etc; actual data for this class hasn’t been released to my knowledge).

The size of the W/L makes no sense though; it’s largely a soft-reject for the qualified but not chosen kids. 

• Like 1

Some schools aren't accepting linearly off the waitlist - they're trying to manage types of students as well so when a student who was going to major in chemistry and could play in the band turns them down, they look for a similarly profiled student from the waitlist, thus the longer waitlist. But I agree that they're mostly just being cruel. And a few schools have short waitlists that do admit a pretty large percent of students eventually - sometimes even a quarter or a third. So it's just hard on students understanding this stuff. Bah.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This experience is such a roller coaster. My son was at LMU for an admitted student day yesterday and LOVED it.  Then he returned to the hotel to open a Northwestern rejection (it was his top school). And then (lol) he was surprised by a USC acceptance (for theatre!). 

Of course, now he has a tour of USC starting in a few hours while he still in LA.  Whew! It's overwhelming for everyone.

I'm not sure how much homeschooling helps/hurts his applications, but I felt like without test scores and LOR for UCLA, we were not surprised with a rejection.  It seems as if he's doing better with schools that have more opportunities (essays, videos, etc) for him to stand out. 

FYI--my husband and son were both very impressed with the honors program at LMU.  DS also received a merit scholarship from them.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Surprisingly, yes, they do reject some applicants. Allegedly there were 83k applicants, and they admitted roughly 16k for an acceptance rate of about 19%. Applications have gone up from 55k pre-pandemic to this year’s 83k— about 50% increase! (These are numbers A/Os used in info sessions etc; actual data for this class hasn’t been released to my knowledge).

The size of the W/L makes no sense though; it’s largely a soft-reject for the qualified but not chosen kids. 

A school BK applied to announced similar stats - over 81,000 applicants and they gave out around 11,000 acceptances. For a class of approx 1.300 or something. 

It’s a mind-boggling process! How do they even tackle such a large number of applications? Seems TO has made a lot of students apply to a LOT of schools for those increases to be seen almost everywhere. It’s crazy-making!

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 8:41 AM, Hamburger Mom said:

This experience is such a roller coaster. My son was at LMU for an admitted student day yesterday and LOVED it.  Then he returned to the hotel to open a Northwestern rejection (it was his top school). And then (lol) he was surprised by a USC acceptance (for theatre!). 

Of course, now he has a tour of USC starting in a few hours while he still in LA.  Whew! It's overwhelming for everyone.

I'm not sure how much homeschooling helps/hurts his applications, but I felt like without test scores and LOR for UCLA, we were not surprised with a rejection.  It seems as if he's doing better with schools that have more opportunities (essays, videos, etc) for him to stand out. 

FYI--my husband and son were both very impressed with the honors program at LMU.  DS also received a merit scholarship from them.

Can I just put in a minor plug for my dear ol' alma? Despite the posh makeover of the last 20 years, it's still an awesome place to be for the dramatic arts. The classroom, campus, and out-in-town cameos are epic.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, Farrar said:

I could tell some serious stories about the "thinking you're more competitive than you are" thing, but I'm bound. Suffice it to say that, yeah. Some people don't have an accurate sense of what's really academic. Or they have an inflated sense of their own kid. Which! Hey, we all should on some level. Because all our kids are awesome and deserve a parent who thinks that. It's just that that doesn't always help in making rational college admissions decisions.

With the CSU's, it absolutely is discrimination in some cases. But schooled kids in CA face it sometimes too for other reasons - like with transcript discrepancies for both the UC's and the CSU's. They're really looking in CA for any reason not to admit a student because the schools are so overcrowded.

My dh and I have gone back and forth on this. All along I wanted to steer our senior to a smaller private where more merit would be given, and where I seriously believe this kid will be happiest and get a great education. DH (who has left education matters almost entirely up to me) just can’t understand why bigger schools weren’t simply stuffing the mailbox with scholarship offers. There were Ivy League recruitment letters thanks to ACT scores, but now this kid (who is happily committed with a generous merit scholarship to the small school of her choice) is watching her peers get waitlisted and rejected - these are high stats kids with 34-36 ACTs. It’s grueling. Haven’t heard a full report report on friends today (Ivy Day), but so many still have no clue where they’re going to end up. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Grace Hopper said:

My dh and I have gone back and forth on this. All along I wanted to steer our senior to a smaller private where more merit would be given, and where I seriously believe this kid will be happiest and get a great education. DH (who has left education matters almost entirely up to me) just can’t understand why bigger schools weren’t simply stuffing the mailbox with scholarship offers. There were Ivy League recruitment letters thanks to ACT scores, but now this kid (who is happily committed with a generous merit scholarship to the small school of her choice) is watching her peers get waitlisted and rejected - these are high stats kids with 34-36 ACTs. It’s grueling. Haven’t heard a full report report on friends today (Ivy Day), but so many still have no clue where they’re going to end up. 

It's rough. And so many people do these kids a disservice around this. Like, just today, I was chatting with a student in my class and offering some free help (because reasons) and another teacher, who was obviously well meaning, had suggested some schools for her... and they were all reaches. Every one of them, including some of the sort that are releasing today. And I was like, you've got to get a new strategy.

My kid is now committed at Clark. Whew. All done.

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

It's rough. And so many people do these kids a disservice around this. Like, just today, I was chatting with a student in my class and offering some free help (because reasons) and another teacher, who was obviously well meaning, had suggested some schools for her... and they were all reaches. Every one of them, including some of the sort that are releasing today. And I was like, you've got to get a new strategy.

My kid is now committed at Clark. Whew. All done.

I wondered where yours would end up - I noticed we both had visited DePaul (not where my kid ended up).

I’ve been reading over at the “Paying for College 101” fb page. When I show my dh the posts there, he admits we were better off narrowing down our target schools. Others are now scrambling- either for an acceptable-to-them fallback or for a way to pay for those $$$$ COA schools when the acceptances of even highly qualified applicants came with a scant financial award package. 

• Like 1

I don’t have a dog in this fight until next year, but I’m following this thread with great interest.  I was at an eye specialist appt a couple of weeks ago.  I need a surgery much sooner than expected and I’m like I have college apps to get through this summer/next fall (times 2 kids). Don;t have time for an eye surgery 🤪.   Anyway, he started talking about his son’s app process for 2022 acceptances.  He has been the parent taking the lead through this process.  His son applied to 35 colleges 😱.  He is coming from a very prestigious private school, 36 on his ACT, 14 APs.  I know he didn’t get into Michigan and one other so far.  He did get into UVA and VT School of Engineering (we are in VA).

When did this trend start where kids are applying to so many schools?  Isn’t this making it harder for a lot of kids to get accepted to their most desired school?  I mean the kid I mentioned above is only going to pick one school and is tying up a lot of slots at many other schools with 35 apps.  I was thinking no more than 10 for each of my boys, but is that the smart thing to do anymore?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

Please ignore the quote box, I can't get rid of it.

With regards to the number of applications, some of what is driving that is schools gunning for higher rankings in lists that take selectivity into account. More applicants means they can reject a higher percentage, moving themselves up in the rankings. Dd got a ton of offers to apply to places she had no interest in without an application fee or essays.

We stuck with schools she had an actual interest in and that were within financial reach.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I was thinking no more than 10 for each of my boys, but is that the smart thing to do anymore?  

From reading the stress levels of folks that applied to tons of colleges and now have to rush and visit and make quick decisions, I’d rather limit earlier.

My kids are only planning to apply to two schools, which they already have in mind.  We will have time to visit each school a couple times and both have rolling admission and a lot of merit.  Since our state has the common app, I will have them add some of our other state schools onto the application process, just to be safe and have backup options in case something majorly changes; so it will end up being more than two schools.  Hoping to everything done by September and let them enjoy their senior year.  They’re super high stats kids, but not looking at the competitive schools.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Okay, all of DDs admissions results are all in. The decisions by the ‘highly rejective’ schools lived up to their name!

Accepted— Boston College, Emory University

Waitlisted— U Michigan 

Denied— Georgetown, Vanderbilt, Dartmouth, Yale, Duke

I guess 2/8 isn’t a bad success rate— 25%! She is still waiting for the results of the competitive, full-tuition scholarship for which she interviewed this week at another school (hopefully it will be in by Monday and then it’s decision time). 

If she had to pick one today, it would be one of her safeties. Go figure! Will update when she makes a final decision. Thanks for hearing me out, sharing your stories, and for commiserating through this really wacky admissions cycle. I am so, so happy it’s over and very grateful that my fourth and final kid is super average and will likely apply to just local/in-state safeties. 

• Like 17

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I don’t have a dog in this fight until next year, but I’m following this thread with great interest.  I was at an eye specialist appt a couple of weeks ago.  I need a surgery much sooner than expected and I’m like I have college apps to get through this summer/next fall (times 2 kids). Don;t have time for an eye surgery 🤪.   Anyway, he started talking about his son’s app process for 2022 acceptances.  He has been the parent taking the lead through this process.  His son applied to 35 colleges 😱.  He is coming from a very prestigious private school, 36 on his ACT, 14 APs.  I know he didn’t get into Michigan and one other so far.  He did get into UVA and VT School of Engineering (we are in VA).

When did this trend start where kids are applying to so many schools?  Isn’t this making it harder for a lot of kids to get accepted to their most desired school?  I mean the kid I mentioned above is only going to pick one school and is tying up a lot of slots at many other schools with 35 apps.  I was thinking no more than 10 for each of my boys, but is that the smart thing to do anymore?  

The valedictorian of a local public high school (a large, in-state U of M feeder) with a 36 and 4.0 UW GPA was rejected, not even waitlisted at U of Michigan. Very tough year!

• Sad 2

If you aim high or need to chase aid (or, like us, don't even have an in state option) you may need to apply to more schools. But more like 10 or even 15. No one ever needs to apply to more like 20 or 35. Oy. I heard about a kid who applied to 40 schools this year. It's just... no.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

If you aim high or need to chase aid (or, like us, don't even have an in state option) you may need to apply to more schools. But more like 10 or even 15. No one ever needs to apply to more like 20 or 35. Oy. I heard about a kid who applied to 40 schools this year. It's just... no.

Lord, 14 apps nearly killed us. 40?!?! I think I’d rather have another unmedicated birth! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Wow to kid who managed 35 applications. He must love writing. 
Congratilations to all.

Mine will apply to 9 schools at most, many of them not requiring additional essays or requiring minimal. Plus UCs, where he doesn’t want to go, but might have no choice. But UCs have one app for all the schools. So we might end up with close to 13-14 schools just because of that. Otherwise it will be 3 safeties, 3 matches, 3 reaches. At least that’s the plan. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mlktwins said:

When did this trend start where kids are applying to so many schools? 

Here it started when our state universities are impacted. It means what was safeties becomes targets/reach depending on majors. In my social circle, the number of rejections the first born gets kind of determines the increase in applications the second born does. For example, a high stats child majoring in a not impacted (traditional not competitive) major gets rejections from safeties/target. The sibling would be casing the net wider and applying to more. 
My teens both want to major in computer science which means there are technically no safeties for us. We are also the over represented demographics in STEM majors. DS17 has 5 rejections and 1 waitlist, all state universities. My husband is now considering private universities, OOS public universities as well as Canadian universities for both to apply as transfers.

Our “safety” has 17 public schools that are their feeders. We knew about the feeder program but didn’t know that it includes that many feeder schools (likely because the program expanded). We are in their local service area so second priority after the feeder schools.  So that “safety” was our first rejection. A few days ago, there was a homicide and a shooting on the same day at the perimeter of the university. That is normal for that area. It is really not meant to be. 
We didn’t have a chance to visit the state university DS17 was waitlisted at when applying because it was a last minute add on (we did drive through the area many times before). We just visited and both kids felt it was like just any other college campus, which means no bad vibes. We didn’t smell weed or cigarette smoke in common areas unlike the extremely selective state university. We are aware some people need to smoke but have the grace to not do that in smoke free zones. My chain smoker friends all extend everyone that courtesy.

• Like 3