Menu

So, what do we think is going to happen with the escaped zebras?

Terabith

Will they breed?  Will they survive the winter?  Will they commandeer a ship with a bunch of penguins and sail to Africa?  I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!  

Also, why do we not know their genders?  Or anything about their former home?  And are those other zebras also pondering escaping, as the caption implies?

We need some Hive Marylanders to go do some hard hitting journalism on my behalf!

https://dcist.com/story/21/09/28/zebras-escaped-prince-georges-county/

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is attack of the wild critters! Someone dumped a "pet" alligator in the local lake when it got to big and aggressive to keep. It was just captured. Just what we need, gators that adapt to harsh Michigan winters!

Here is a question? Could they cross breed with horses and donkeys? This could be a lot of fun! 😁

• Like 3

We don’t know more because the owner/breeder isn’t talking to the press. I admire him for giving us all a big MYOB! Rare in this day and age. 

i just love that I’ve learned that a group of zebras is called a dazzle! It makes the whole escapade incredibly fun!

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 15

26 minutes ago, TechWife said:

We don’t know more because the owner/breeder isn’t talking to the press. I admire him for giving us all a big MYOB! Rare in this day and age. 

i just love that I’ve learned that a group of zebras is called a dazzle! It makes the whole escapade incredibly fun!

A Dazzle, that is just an awesome term!

Part of me kind of hopes they aren't caught until spring just to see if they adapt well, and if they can cross breed. But my weird, sciency curiosity is probably not in the best interests. Sigh. They should probably be caught.

Still. Way more fun than a deer sighting!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

A Dazzle, that is just an awesome term!

Part of me kind of hopes they aren't caught until spring just to see if they adapt well, and if they can cross breed. But my weird, sciency curiosity is probably not in the best interests. Sigh. They should probably be caught.

Still. Way more fun than a deer sighting!

I'm totally cheering on these zebras!  

• Like 3

the caption is fantastic. 

Someone needs to take any videos of sightings and make tik tok videos with voice overs for the zebras. 

Gotta wonder if the native animals are thinking they are hallucinating, lol. "Doris, I'm telling you, that horse had stripes!" "Bob, did you eat the fermented berries again?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

18 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Someone in our neighborhood has a zebra. It can't handle cold weather like horses can, so it has to be inside for much of the winter.

Well your neighbor obviously has the wimpy lowland zebra, as the mountain ones at the Smithsonian Zoo love the cold.

I foresee some of Md' s youth sport teams renaming themselves as the Dazzles

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Well your neighbor obviously has the wimpy lowland zebra, as the mountain ones at the Smithsonian Zoo love the cold.

I foresee some of Md' s youth sport teams renaming themselves as the Dazzles

To be fair to my neighbor zebra, I don't think the mountain zebras would like our -30F temperatures, either!

• Like 3

I'm over here scratching my head.  What do you mean you can't catch them?  Forget animal control; call in some professional cowboys.  I mean real cowboys like I knew growing up in horse country in the Southwest.  Real cowboys can ride into mixed groups of horses and mixed groups of cattle and accurately separate the ones they want from those they don't.  I've watched them do it. Call around to some ranches in AZ, offer to pay travel expenses, and just get the zebras back already. Eyeroll.

Note* Real cowboys don't line dance, they don't say "marm" and they don't have shiny boots.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Could they cross breed with horses and donkeys? This could be a lot of fun! 😁

Yes, within a mile or two of the suburbs in PHX I moved from, there was a farm where they bred zonkeys.  They're cute little guys with grey bodies and black and white striped legs.

37 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

I'm over here scratching my head.  What do you mean you can't catch them?  Forget animal control; call in some professional cowboys.  I mean real cowboys like I knew growing up in horse country in the Southwest.  Real cowboys can ride into mixed groups of horses and mixed groups of cattle and accurately separate the ones they want from those they don't.  I've watched them do it. Call around to some ranches in AZ, offer to pay travel expenses, and just get the zebras back already. Eyeroll.

Note* Real cowboys don't line dance, they don't say "marm" and they don't have shiny boots.

I don't think you're correctly picturing the sort of place where they're loose. It's the DC suburbs. Well, the exurbs. There's green space, but it's like, super densely suburban. There's zero open space that isn't like, a soccer field or a mown hill for a public park for picnics or something. It's all neighborhoods, highways - especially a lot of local highways, strip malls, apartments, and thick forested parks with a lot of undergrowth like invasive ivy and poison ivy and so forth mostly in strips along wetlands and streams or in larger swaths where it's protected as county parks. There are a couple of small farms. Pick your own size places essentially.

Of course, it's possible I'm the one not understanding here, but it's nothing like the southwest. Sure, you can ride horses, but on trails and so forth. I don't even know if you can ride horses through the forest very well - parts of it are foresty, but a lot of the land where they're hanging out was developed or bulldozed then let grow over, so it's full of low invasives like those cruddy trees of heaven that are so horrible. And even if you could, it's not flat and visibility seems like it could be difficult. Not to mention how broken up everything is - and by broken up, I mean, with roads and subdivisions and strip malls. Can cowboys actually effectively round up the zebras in a terrain like that?

When they round up the deer in Rock Creek Park, they do it with a large group on foot.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 4

There's a part of me that was like, I want to go hang out in PG and see if I can catch a glimpse of them. I never got to spot the red panda during either of its stints loose in my neighborhood. There's something weird and funny about exotic mammals loose. I'm sure it's just as bad as other species that don't belong, but still.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I don't think you're correctly picturing the sort of place where they're loose. It's the DC suburbs. Well, the exurbs. There's green space, but it's like, super densely suburban. There's zero open space that isn't like, a soccer field or a mown hill for a public park for picnics or something. It's all neighborhoods, highways - especially a lot of local highways, strip malls, apartments, and thick forested parks with a lot of undergrowth like invasive ivy and poison ivy and so forth mostly in strips along wetlands and streams or in larger swaths where it's protected as county parks. There are a couple of small farms. Pick your own size places essentially.

Of course, it's possible I'm the one not understanding here, but it's nothing like the southwest. Sure, you can ride horses, but on trails and so forth. I don't even know if you can ride horses through the forest very well - parts of it are foresty, but a lot of the land where they're hanging out was developed or bulldozed then let grow over, so it's full of low invasives like those cruddy trees of heaven that are so horrible. And even if you could, it's not flat and visibility seems like it could be difficult. Not to mention how broken up everything is - and by broken up, I mean, with roads and subdivisions and strip malls. Can cowboys actually effectively round up the zebras in a terrain like that?

When they round up the deer in Rock Creek Park, they do it with a large group on foot.

Yes. I'm from horse country in the SW entirely surrounded by suburbs.  Horsemen get cattle out of canyons, rocky outcrops, fields, and a close friend a few years ago witnessed them get cattle out of a densely packed suburban neighborhood like you describe cut through with 6 lane roads when a cattle truck driving through had to stop en route and a bunch got out and dispersed in all different directions. Multiple real cowboys came in, knocked on the doors getting permission to ride on people's property (their front yards, backyards are usually walled or fenced there) and get close enough to rope them.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Yes. I'm from horse country in the SW entirely surrounded by suburbs.  Horsemen get cattle out of canyons, rocky outcrops, fields, and a close friend a few years ago witnessed them get cattle out of a densely packed suburban neighborhood like you describe cut through with 6 lane roads when a cattle truck driving through had to stop en route and a bunch got out and dispersed in all different directions. Multiple real cowboys came in, knocked on the doors getting permission to ride on people's property (their front yards, backyards are usually walled or fenced there) and get close enough to rope them.

Cowboys chasing zebras across a suburban neighborhood would cause so much property damage. That would destroy a lawn in seconds flat. Not to mention the danger of chasing panicked prey animals in an area with lots of people and traffic.

Since they are hanging around the farm, the best bet is to keep trying to lure them into an enclosure. Equines are very food motivated, so buckets of tasty grain might do the trick. They just need to figure out a way to quickly close the gate behind them. Since there are five zebras, rather than one or two, it makes it harder to effectively use trip wires.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Zebras are not cattle. These are wild animals in spite of the fact that they've been kept on that guy's property. It would be more like rounding up the wild horses of the past than herding escaped cattle. Except those horses in the old west weren't roaming suburbs. 

I agree with @Terabiththough. If it did happen it nerds to be a reality show. 😂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tanaqui said:

Zebras don't act like horses, though. That's one reason people ride horses and not zebras. I'm not sure cowboys could really round up zebras the same way they'd round up cattle or horses.

Ok, I'm not talking about rounding them up and driving them into a pen as a group.  I'm talking about getting within roping distance of each one.  The zebras can be standing still or it can be at running full speed, cowboys do both all the time.  I'm talking about getting a rope around it's neck on one end and the other end of the rope tied around a saddle horn. Usually cowboys scope out the area, decide which area nearby is the best to corner or surround them, then have their partners either drive them or block them, whichever suits the situation. Once roped they'll  will hold it and it can then either be tranqued with a gun or led by it's owner by the rope or however it is they usually move their zebras around.  Cowboys have been roping wild horses and wild cattle for centuries now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Cowboys chasing zebras across a suburban neighborhood would cause so much property damage. That would destroy a lawn in seconds flat. Not to mention the danger of chasing panicked prey animals in an area with lots of people and traffic.

Since they are hanging around the farm, the best bet is to keep trying to lure them into an enclosure. Equines are very food motivated, so buckets of tasty grain might do the trick. They just need to figure out a way to quickly close the gate behind them. Since there are five zebras, rather than one or two, it makes it harder to effectively use trip wires.

@Lady Florida.
Where did you get the idea they would destroy a lawn?  I haven't seen that. And I say that as someone who took horseback riding lessons in my front yard with the neighbor kid on her horse too. I'm not talking about using a front yard as a rodeo arena. Cowboys work in teams.  Some block, some drive.  Careful, strategic decisions are made about if, where, how and when to drive an animal. Again, as I explained above, there's no need to deal with them as a herd, they just need to get close enough to rope one to lead it home or tranq it.  It can even run at full speed and still get roped. I once saw a bull driven by a cowboy on his motorcycle through my neighborhood as a kid. It was to divert it away from the houses and the road and out to an empty field with a mounted rider on his horse waiting in one spot. When the bull came his way, the mounted rider roped it then led it home.

If you're thinking about rodeos, you have to understand rodeos aren't real cowboy work. Those are more like cowboy sports games, not the real world.  I assure you, I have seen stray horses and cattle removed from nearby suburban areas and know people who have had that experience and all their lawns survived in tact. Farm and ranch land has been encroached by suburban expansion all over the SW.  It's just not as rare as most people must think to deal with strays out in suburbia.  Cowboys maneuver around cacti, washes, limited river crossings, rock formations, ditches, fencing, neighboring properties, farm equipment, box canyons and such on a regular basis.  They're highly skilled labor.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Where did you get the idea they would destroy a lawn?  I haven't seen that. And I say that as someone who took horseback riding lessons in my front yard with the neighbor kid on her horse too. I'm not talking about using a front yard as a rodeo arena. Cowboys work in teams.  Some block, some drive.  Careful, strategic decisions are made about if, where, how and when to drive an animal. Again, as I explained above, there's no need to deal with them as a herd, they just need to get close enough to rope one to lead it home or tranq it.  It can even run at full speed and still get roped. I once saw a bull driven by a cowboy on his motorcycle through my neighborhood as a kid. It was to divert it away from the houses and the road and out to an empty field with a mounted rider on his horse waiting in one spot. When the bull came his way, the mounted rider roped it then led it home.

If you're thinking about rodeos, you have to understand rodeos aren't real cowboy work. Those are more like cowboy sports games, not the real world.  I assure you, I have seen stray horses and cattle removed from nearby suburban areas and know people who have had that experience and all their lawns survived in tact. Farm and ranch land has been encroached by suburban expansion all over the SW.  It's just not as rare as most people must think to deal with strays out in suburbia.  Cowboys maneuver around cacti, washes, limited river crossings, rock formations, ditches, fencing, neighboring properties, farm equipment, box canyons and such on a regular basis.  They're highly skilled labor.

I got the idea from my experience of having horses all my life and seeing the damage that large, powerful, hooved animals can do. There is a big difference between an equine calmly walking or trotting across a lawn (like during riding lessons) and equines running across a lawn full speed. I walk my five 1000+ lb horses across our lawn all the time with no damage (as long as the ground is dry), but I guarantee you that if all of them, or even one of them, tore across our lawn, it would be shredded, along with any plants that were in their way.

Our neighbor's cows got loose and totally destroyed our pumpkin patch just by making one pass through it.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I got the idea from my experience of having horses all my life and seeing the damage that large, powerful, hooved animals can do. There is a big difference between an equine calmly walking or trotting across a lawn (like during riding lessons) and equines running across a lawn full speed. I walk my five 1000+ lb horses across our lawn all the time with no damage (as long as the ground is dry), but I guarantee you that if all of them, or even one of them, tore across our lawn, it would be shredded, along with any plants that were in their way.

Our neighbor's cows got loose and totally destroyed our pumpkin patch just by making one pass through it.

Well all I can tell you is in situations where people dealt with scenarios like we're talking about, the lawns were in tact at the end. And if you're right that the land in Maryland would be destroyed by horses running across it, then zebras left uncaught will destroy all the lawns every time they're spooked by traffic, dogs, loud noises, people etc.  So better to risk it and get them out now in a more controlled situation with people skilled at doing so than to leave them to their own devices in an environment they're not suited to.  And now that people know about the zebras, you know people are going to scare them trying to get near them for pics. And don't get me started on what zebras do to the ecosystem if left out there.  Better some torn up lawns, which is more easily fixed, than the ripple effect of introducing a foreign species into an environment they don't belong in.

49 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

@Lady Florida.

Ok, that all makes sense and is well and good...but you didn't answer my question about if cowboys two step. I need to know if all my books have lied to me! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Wait, I'm still stuck here. Cowboys actually chase down cows in suburban Phoenix and Albuquerque? Like, seriously? Through Home Depot parking lots and backyards sometimes? Over active highways and neighborhood roads and through parks? If that's true, I guess I can imagine that could be useful in this case? Zebras are so much more stealthy and lithe than a cow. Cows are lumbering dummies. Zebra are smart and thin.

And... I can't imagine working cowboys have much experience with the type of terrain in Upper Marlboro. It's all very well if they understand how to deal with canyons. Do they know how to deal with wetlands? Upper Marlboro is... I mean, it's really close to a lot of creeks and rivers and essentially marshes. I'm guessing that SW cowboys don't have a lot of experience with soggy ground.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

@Quill hasn't been around...    I wonder if she's out rustlin' up some zebras.  

Lol, nope!! And, I have been here in little snatches, but not much. 🙂 

I was just thinking I need to put together the Christmas card exchange again for US Hivers who want to do that again. It was so fun the past two years getting a basically guaranteed 25-30 holiday cards from my Hive buds. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Homeschool Mom, I've now triple checked this one. Zebras duck and it's well agreed that you can't rope them and that this is one of the key differences that caused us to domesticate horses but not zebras. Maybe that's not 100% true, but it's certainly true for peopl e who haven't done it before and who expect them to act like horses. Plus, if you did rope them, they'd kick - and while I know horses kick too, I've never heard before that a single kick from a horse can kill a lion.

(One way that zebras ARE like horses is that they're not native to the Americas, so personally, I wouldn't get too worried about the damage a handful of zebras will do to the ecosystem. Nobody is worried about the effect of the much larger handful of feral horses on the ecosystem.)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

BTW, I have not personally seen the escapees. Except in videos. I don’t often go to PG county. Though that would be way more amusing than seeing the extremely pedestrian White-Tailed Deer, which, as a kid I thought was so amazing, but I now mostly experience as a severe fall driving hazard. 

Edited by Quill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Yup. When I lived in NM, we once had 6 horses get loose and take off down the main street of town. We had half a dozen stable hands plus myself, DH, and DD all trying to chase them down, and we eventually managed to pen them in someone's yard. They totally tore up the yard and we ended up paying the homeowners for the damage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Lol, nope!! And, I have been here in little snatches, but not much. 🙂 

I was just thinking I need to put together the Christmas card exchange again for US Hivers who want to do that again. It was so fun the past two years getting a basically guaranteed 25-30 holiday cards from my Hive buds. 

That was the most bizarre change of subject ever.  😆 

but yes, I'm on board with the exchange this year.  I skipped last year, but I'm ready this year!

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Terabith said:

It's been awhile since I've been to Maryland, but I don't think it routinely gets to -30F.  Rarely even to 0F.  

It gets to zero WAY too often.

9 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

5 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Ok, I'm not talking about rounding them up and driving them into a pen as a group.  I'm talking about getting within roping distance of each one.  The zebras can be standing still or it can be at running full speed, cowboys do both all the time.  I'm talking about getting a rope around it's neck on one end and the other end of the rope tied around a saddle horn. Usually cowboys scope out the area, decide which area nearby is the best to corner or surround them, then have their partners either drive them or block them, whichever suits the situation. Once roped they'll  will hold it and it can then either be tranqued with a gun or led by it's owner by the rope or however it is they usually move their zebras around.  Cowboys have been roping wild horses and wild cattle for centuries now.

Can you imagine these skilled cowboys doing this in the woods? In a ravine? with thick underbrush? Or through a neighborhood.  There's a reason cattle ranches have wide open spaces instead of springing up in swamps.  We HAVE farms and livestock here.  If it was simple or easy, they'd be caught by now.  

My theory is the zebras are making their way to Assateague to live with the wild ponies. 🤣

ETA:  I was in PG county a few days ago and I'm mad that I didn't look for zebras.  You think my newlywed daughter and her dh will mind if I set myself up in their 6th floor apartment with binoculars and wait for a zebra sighting?

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 7