Menu

Housekeeping ?- clothes

Toocrazy!!

Ok, so I’m trying hard to get my clothing situation in order. I have purged and moved all off season clothes to temporary storage. 
I’m making progress. 
But- maybe it’s just me- but what do you do with clothes you wear regularly and don’t have to wash every time? Like pajamas? Every day skirts? Jeans? Or, in general clothes you wear more often than others? Do you hang everything up every time? Because I’m terrible at that! But then I end up with piles on the tub surround or in a basket on the floor😀maybe I’m just a slob- well no maybe about it when it comes to clothes! 

Is there an easier solution than hanging everything up every time? Or is that what adults do? I have a large closet, but only have drawer space for exercise clothes and under clothes, socks, pj’s etc. 

I have an "It's still good" basket in my closet.  It's where I toss jeans, pjs, my robe, sweaters . . . anything that I'll wear a few more times before washing and doesn't get too wrinkly in a basket.  It has saved me from having piles of things out in my room where I can see it.  

Maybe you need this!

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

I recently saw an article about keeping bedrooms neat and one of the points made was that putting once-worn clothing back in the dresser or closet does not contaminate the clean clothes. So I am making the effort to put them away, back in the dresser or closet. I like the idea of the "it's still good" basket but there is no room in my closet or elsewhere in my room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My PJs get folded and placed on the (made up) bed. Jackets are hung up in my closet immediately upon coming home. Jeans or other items that have been worn but are okay for another wearing are placed on hangers and go at the end on the left side of my closet, which in my mind is labeled the "been worn once but okay to wear again" zone. To me it's easier to hang something up than it is to fold it and put it in a drawer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I’m like you.  Best bet is back in the cupboard but mostly that doesn’t happen.  DH was complaining about how his office chair had been taken and he couldn’t find it.  Turns out it was at the end of the bed with his jeans hanging over it 😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

I have five hooks behind the bedroom door.  That’s where you will find my “still clean enough” stuff- usually a pair of jeans and an assortment of hoodies.  That’s also where I keep whatever hat is my go to at the moment.  

Same here, but it's on the back of the masterbath door.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I used to pile them in a big pile on the bathroom counter, but I’m trying to reform. I now (try to) hang church clothes back up in the closet the minute I take them off. Clothes that came out of dressers are folded and put back in drawers. Pajamas . . . Still go on the bathroom counter. 

i try to limit myself to one sweatshirt or sweater to wear around the house when it’s cool in the morning. I hang it on the end of the bed.  If I notice that the pile has grown to more than one, I put them back up wherever they came from.

Edited by Emba
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a hook in my closet for pajamas and a robe. If it’s clean enough to wear again in public  (today’s sundress), I hang it back on a hangar in the closet. If I sweated in it, or did anything I consider germy, or if it’s visibly dirty it goes in a laundry basket in my master bath. In theory I’m supposed to take the basket to the laundry room & sort it every morning (I loosely follow my own version of fly lady), but it often sits for 2-3 days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Emba said:

I used to pile them in a big pile on the bathroom counter, but I’m trying to reform. I now (try to) hang church clothes back up in the closet the minute I take them off. Clothes that came out of dressers are folded and put back in drawers. Pajamas . . . Still go on the bathroom counter. 

i try to limit myself to one sweatshirt or sweater to wear around the house when it’s cool in the morning. I hang it on the end of the bed.  If I notice that the pile has grown to more than one, I put them back up wherever they came from.

Quoting myself in case I wasn’t clear: this is just what I do with clothes that are still clean enough to wear again. If the clothes are dirty I throw them in the hamper.  The hamper is in the bathroom, which is why my pajamas live on the bathroom counter. Get undressed, throw dirty clothes in hamper, put on pajamas.  In theory.

Sometimes I have work jeans that are dirty but I know I’ll need to get dirty again the next day. I’ll put them beside the hamper because I’ll wear them again for work but won’t put them in a drawer with clean clothes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have three hooks inside the linen closet in the master bathroom for clothes that can be reworn.  A few hooks in the main closet for pjs and robes.

I may or may not toss clothes over a quilt rack, remembering that it’s a bad habit each time…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hooks on the master bath door for jeans and hoodie. I keep half a dresser drawer empty for other clothes that have been worn but don’t need to be washed yet.  It works well for me- I don’t want to have a ton of clothes in the ‘worn but can be reworn’ phase so having designated spots helps me limit them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Pjs go under the pillow

My milking clothes only get worn for 40 minutes every day. I keep them in a neat pile. 

Everything else I wash every day

So, now, I need to reveal I am an ignorant city girl.

How are milking clothes different from the clothes you wear for your other chores?  Like don't you also do chookie tending or what not?

• Haha 1

I hung up a bunch of heavy duty hooks on the backs of the bedroom and bathroom doors.  These are for casual clothes I am going to re-use before I wash them.

For professional clothes that need to be on hangers in order to stay nice, I will lay them out on a chair to air for some hours, and then hang them back in the closet.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Ok, so I’m trying hard to get my clothing situation in order. I have purged and moved all off season clothes to temporary storage. 
I’m making progress. 
But- maybe it’s just me- but what do you do with clothes you wear regularly and don’t have to wash every time? Like pajamas? Every day skirts? Jeans? Or, in general clothes you wear more often than others? Do you hang everything up every time? Because I’m terrible at that! But then I end up with piles on the tub surround or in a basket on the floor😀maybe I’m just a slob- well no maybe about it when it comes to clothes! 

Is there an easier solution than hanging everything up every time? Or is that what adults do? I have a large closet, but only have drawer space for exercise clothes and under clothes, socks, pj’s etc. 

I hang up/otherwise put away the clothing every time.

I hang up most things. Only underwear and jammies are not hung up.

Long ago I read an "organizing" book that advised people not to hang up their clean clothes when they took them off, but to lay them across a chair or whatnot, and just do it once a week. Worst.advice.ever. So now everything is hung up/otherwise put away every time.

• Thanks 1

We have hooks in our closets just for this purpose, except pajamas which go on the bed and jackets which go on hooks in our mudroom. We also have plenty of extra hooks in our master bath and on the back of the door in the other bathroom, but these don’t get used as often as the closet ones. 

Edited by Frances
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So, now, I need to reveal I am an ignorant city girl.

How are milking clothes different from the clothes you wear for your other chores?  Like don't you also do chookie tending or what not?

I do feed the chooks on the way back from milking. To milk the cow I sit with my legs under the cow and my head almost resting on the cow. the clothes become very cow smelling. and as I am not the most perfect squirter, they get the occasional splash of milk on them. I wash them about once a week or if they become soiled with manure. but they are not something I want to be walking around in for extended periods of time.

I keep the milking clothes sacked neatly under my side of the bed. out of sight

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

PJs on the bed. Bathrobe on a hanger or hook. Once-worn items (usually jeans) hooked directly onto the knobs on my dresser or on a hanger hung on the dresser, which is inside my closet so still out of sight. I usually re-wear the next day, so they're not in the way.

• Thanks 1

Pjs in bed.  Robe on hook on door.  Coats, jackets and sweaters get put away unless dirty.  CLothes I am going to wear again - it depends on what type.  Pants and jeans get hung or put away again.  T shirts I wore for a short time and then changed to something else -may get put on chest (used to be toy chest but we reused it) or away.

• Thanks 1