Menu

Have you ever used Craigslist?

1. 1. Have you ever used Craigslist?

• Yes
    • No
    • What's Craigslist?

I rented my house in Florida by advertising on it. I also just bought my dining room set on it. Okay, first I bought a dining room set with 8 chairs. I didn't love the table, but I loved the chairs and the price was great. So... next, I found a different table, gave the first table to my mom and then bought the new - new to me table from craigslist. My dh was so THRILLED to have to go get TWO tables. Let me tell you! Anyway, I think I got a pretty good deal and now I have a table I like.

We bought our double stroller, as well as a bunk bed off of craigslist. They were both good experiences, and I know we got really good deals on the items. I only looked at listings that were close to me, geographically (the D.C. craigslist covers a huge area!), for the stroller, because I knew it was just going to be me and the kids going there to look at it. But for the bunk bed, I really wanted one with a single on top, double on the bottom, and something like a desk/dresser on the side (so the top bunk was perpendicular to the bottom double bed). I was willing to look farther away, and my dh and I ended up buying ours from a lady about an hour away. She lived in a rather scary apartment complex, and I was glad I wasn't by myself, LOL.

I've never sold anything on craigslist, however, so I can't talk about that side of it!

I sold outgrown children's toys and clothes. A lot of inquiries, only one buyer who bought A LOT of items. In fact come spring I have to list again. I have a wood playset, playhouse and all kinds of stuff that need a new home.

We bought a fence for our above ground pool. Aluminum fence, less than one year old, with receipt from local retailer, 60% off retail.

I found that Craigslist was kind of a pain with inquiries that weren't serious but I'd sell there again and I'd definitely buy.

We have bought and sold on Craigslist in Oregon, Maine and North Carolina. We have always had a good experience. Most recently we purchased a freezer 5 cubic feet for $100. It works great. We had people in Maine that showed up but then threw a bit of a fit when we would not lower the price. (We always list pictures and are firm on the price.) Other than that it has been all good.

We also got my youngest a twin bed with bookcase headboard, Cozy coupes, books, desks (my computer desk with hutch and separate cabinet, DD 2 a Step 2 art desk and DD1 a school desk.

LOVE Craigslist!

Mostly furniture items. Gosh, now that I think of it, I've probably made close to $2K selling stuff on craigslist in the past 18 months. Everything I have ever posted on craigslist has sold within a week. But I really work on making my listings look nice and stand out from the others.

I agree with the other poster who said she arranges item pick-up when dh is home. I do the same. I have also met a buyer/seller in a crowded, neutral location to make the transaction if the item is easy to handle that way.

Well, that may be more info than you wanted, but I do love craigslist. It is great for items that are not feasible to ship and there are no listing fees (as on eBay).

I didn't even know what Craigslist was until last year, and then BAM! all of a sudden I heard about it left and right. I initially thought it was just for selling "stuff" like furniture, etc. Come to find out it's a world of classified ads, which is pretty nifty, imo. A friend of mine sold a condo and a jeep, in Seattle, within a week after posting them on Craigslist.

I have no doubt I could get some great deals there but I don't have that gene in me ~ the one that allows me to scroll through ads, contacting people and going to look at stuff and so on and so forth. I did just the other day check on there to see if any ping pong tables were listed in my area. I think there were. I can't remember because the moment I started looking, I lost my initiative and instead went and watched All Creatures Great and Small while eating trail cookies.:D

We've bought several items off Craig's List. Our dining room table, my notebook, a sewing machine, and many computer parts. Most of the transactions were pleasant. We had one incident where my husband drove over an hour to purchase an item that was to be "held" for him, only to get there and find it was sold to some else 5 minutes before he arrived. We haven't really sold anything on there yet, but have a few items my husband intends to list. Pick up of these items will be restricted to times when he is home (for safety reasons).

Thank you for voting and for your responses. I didn't realize how many people use Craigslist. We've been thinking about putting some furniture up for sale and planned to use the local newspaper. Then I remembered Craigslist being mentioned on here quite often, so I wondered if that was the way to go. I'm clueless about how it works, so I appreciate the additional info many of you provided.

I didn't vote in the poll because I haven't sold or bought on Craigslist, but I have looked there for things. That wasn't a poll option.

Ditto. Isn't there a law requiring an "other" category to be offered on all polls? ;) I'm writing my Congressman. :)

I just got two Cocker Spaniel puppies for free using Craigslist. They are part of my boys Christmas this year. They came from a breeder and are full blooded pups. I think they were just too old to sell, they are 7 months old.

Our craigslist has a huge amount of pets, cats, dogs, hampsters, snakes and even birds. Its a good place to look if your looking for a pet.

I haven't used it yet, but I've looked at it a lot. We're probably going to try to sell our 55 gal. fish tank setup on Craigslist soon. I was going to get a nifty dining room set from them but it didn't come with any chairs, and what I really wanted was the chairs. My sister just got a Little Tikes Activity Garden off Craigslist in WI that I found for her. So I've used it vicariously. :D

My dd purchased her Nintendo DS from someone on Craigslist and we sold a propane heater...which my husband ended up shipping via UPS to somebody in a different state even though his wife told him not to do any sort of shipping w/ Craigslist. But, did he listen? No. Did he learn a lesson? Yes...he "guestimated" the weight for shipping and quoted the guy a price based on his guestimate...well...his guestimate was off to the tune of $25...NOT in our favor. Grrrrr.......We ended up eating that $25. Deal locally...lesson learned for dh.

we have bought and sold a few different things. My favorite was when dh asked me to see if i could find a dual trace oscilloscope online.

me: a WHA???

i could spell it, but had no idea what it was.

It is apparently a nifty electronic gadget he wanted to use to work on his old victrola/ radio.

they are pretty expensive when i did a google search.

I said, let me check craigslist.

BAM! right there, posted JUST THAT DAY, was a Dual Trace oscilloscope.

for a mere $35, w/in easy driving distance. what are the odds???!!??

THAT was cool :D

we just sold a bed and playpen this weekend, and I bought some 12 days of xmas cookie cutters from someone on a different state's craigslist.

But yeah-- you gotta watch out for scammers. I wasted a week of selling time working my way through the replies for our bed, but the gal that finally bought it was patient and i kept everyone informed of the waiting list progress.

eta: you can get some great homeschool stuff there too !

Edited by Peek a Boo

Craigslist is great! I meet people in public places during daylight. Accepting cash only. I also know how to spot scammers.

Scammers usually email in bulk. Therefore, they use words such as " I am interested in your item and want to buy it immediately using paypal". "I will send my shipper to your house".

I laugh when I see these kinds of emails and press "delete" immediately. I don't even bother to answer them.

If someone is interested in your furniture, he/she will include the word "furniture" instead of item.

Start out by dealing locally.

Once you learn how scammers write, then you can deal with people from other states.

• 2 years later...

Yes, we purchased out patio furniture off of craigslist. We bought it from a schoolteacher from Boston who had moved to Hawaii 5 months before. The school was so horrible that she was packing up and moving back to Boston in February. She went on and on about it before she asked if our kids went to the school. :lol:

We have sold a lot of big items, especially when moving.