Menu

New conspiracy theory and employment names

Terabith

Today I got an email at 7 am saying that our milkman was running a little late because of weather and that Brent would be a little late.  (He was, in fact.  He didn't show up until 4:30 pm.)  This is how I learned that we have a new milkman.  Our previous milkman was named Brian.  

So now our family is wondering if the dairy only hires people whose names start with Br to do deliveries?  Or maybe when you are hired, you get a "milkman name" that has to start with Br, like a confirmation name?  

What does the Hive think?  

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Tiberia said:

You have a milkman? I haven't had a milkman since I was a kid in the 60's.

Wait... what year are you in? 

I do!  I have a milkman!  It's the coolest thing and was by far the best thing to happen to me in 2019.  We have this local dairy, Homestead Creamery, with cows that have names and you can go visit and pet.  You can buy their products at the grocery store, but if you sign up, for a smallish delivery fee, they will bring you milk in glass bottles, and the best part - take the glass bottles that you have emptied and rinsed out back to the dairy to reuse, so I don't have to go through the time consuming (and socially stressful) process of returning them at the store to customer service.  You can get milk, eggs, butter, ice cream, and a few other dairy products and some selected meat and bakery items.  We don't get anything other than milk and sometimes ice cream, because while the products taste better (and in the case of the milk, a LOT better), they are a bit more expensive and it's hard for me to justify that for eggs and butter and stuff.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I do!  I have a milkman!  It's the coolest thing and was by far the best thing to happen to me in 2019.  We have this local dairy, Homestead Creamery, with cows that have names and you can go visit and pet.  You can buy their products at the grocery store, but if you sign up, for a smallish delivery fee, they will bring you milk in glass bottles, and the best part - take the glass bottles that you have emptied and rinsed out back to the dairy to reuse, so I don't have to go through the time consuming (and socially stressful) process of returning them at the store to customer service.  You can get milk, eggs, butter, ice cream, and a few other dairy products and some selected meat and bakery items.  We don't get anything other than milk and sometimes ice cream, because while the products taste better (and in the case of the milk, a LOT better), they are a bit more expensive and it's hard for me to justify that for eggs and butter and stuff.  

That's it.  I'm moving.  Where do you live?  :-)   

• Haha 3

I had a summer job one year when I was in college.  When I walked in they asked me my name and when I told them they said I could stay. I was puzzled until they introduced themselves: Jamie, John, Jeff, (another) Jeff, and George.  (George worked in the warehouse, not in the actual office -- I often wondered if they wouldn't let him in because he only matched phonetically and not alphabetically...)

ETA: I forgot Jim.  I knew there was someone else in that office. And, yes, apparently my brain remembers all kinds of dumb stuff since I can remember their names 20+ years after working with them for only 3 months.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 13

23 minutes ago, Terabith said:

That is the best Chocolate milk.  Before Covid, we could buy Homestead milk up in NJ.  I miss that chocolate milk. 

We have a milkman, too! And Today was delivery day!

We get milk, cream, and eggs every week. We get the half-gallons in plastic rather than glass, though, because I order 4 gallons of milk each week (so, 8 half-gallons). I'm afraid my refrigerator shelves couldn't handle the weight of the glass jars. 

We can have anything that they stock in theirs small farm store delivered, so sometimes I can get artisan pirogi or fancy pizza. I have ordered bananas and oranges before, when we had run out from the regular grocery store, but they are more expensive.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Junie said:

I had a summer job one year when I was in college.  When I walked in they asked me my name and when I told them they said I could stay. I was puzzled until they introduced themselves: Jamie, John, Jeff, (another) Jeff, and George.  (George worked in the warehouse, not in the actual office -- I often wondered if they wouldn't let him in because he only matched phonetically and not alphabetically...)

My siblings and I also had a "starts with J" naming scheme. I may or may not have literally laughed out loud at this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

That is the best Chocolate milk.  Before Covid, we could buy Homestead milk up in NJ.  I miss that chocolate milk. 

Yes, I'm completely convinced my oldest child would starve to death without Homestead Creamery whole chocolate milk.  Many days it is the only food they consume before dinner time.  It is really, really delicious!  

2 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

That sounds so appealing....and I love VA.   (You might want to go back and edit if you don't want your exact location know forever.  😉 )

Oh, I've been very open on the Hive about my location and even real name.  I'm not worried about it.  Maybe the city would hire me for their tourism board?  It's a very nice location.  We're in a valley surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains.  We're big enough that we have pretty much everything I want (except a Cinnabon), but we're small enough that "a long drive" is like 15 minutes at rush hour.  Cost of living is quite low but we have rec centers that in non pandemic times have a wide assortment of interesting classes and a fantastic library system and decent public schools but without the hyper competitive northern Virginia environment.  Four distinct seasons.  

It would be a bad place to live if you're really into ice hockey.  We don't really have a full time ice rink.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The website for our dairy has bios on each driver, with photos. I totally think they should come up with false work names that match their dairy theme...

Does your dairy also offer porch coolers? 

We haven't been offered any, but I have seen other houses with them.  I'm not sure what the difference is, but we probably purchase less than their average customer.  I know when the pandemic started, they had a big rush of people wanting delivery, and I was so glad we already were customers because they couldn't accept new people for awhile.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

Yes, I'm completely convinced my oldest child would starve to death without Homestead Creamery whole chocolate milk.  Many days it is the only food they consume before dinner time.  It is really, really delicious!  

Oh, I've been very open on the Hive about my location and even real name.  I'm not worried about it.  Maybe the city would hire me for their tourism board?  It's a very nice location.  We're in a valley surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains.  We're big enough that we have pretty much everything I want (except a Cinnabon), but we're small enough that "a long drive" is like 15 minutes at rush hour.  Cost of living is quite low but we have rec centers that in non pandemic times have a wide assortment of interesting classes and a fantastic library system and decent public schools but without the hyper competitive northern Virginia environment.  Four distinct seasons.  

It would be a bad place to live if you're really into ice hockey.  We don't really have a full time ice rink.  

Sounds like my dream location. I love Virginia. 

DD is going to be married at a vineyard with the Blue Ridge mountains in the background. So long as we get nice weather, it’s going to be breathtaking. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, katilac said:

Jana, is that you? Jill? Jinger? 

Nope not a Duggar lol. All my siblings and I are older than the Duggar kids. But having lived in a house where all the kids had the same first and last initials, I promised my future children that I would not do that to them lol. Each and every one of my kids has a different first initial. :-P

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Nope not a Duggar lol. All my siblings and I are older than the Duggar kids. But having lived in a house where all the kids had the same first and last initials, I promised my future children that I would not do that to them lol. Each and every one of my kids has a different first initial. 😛

My cousin, who is a lovely person that I love very much, gave all of her kids names that start with K. When all of the names would typically start with C 😄

• Haha 7

When I was a little kid we had a man who drove around our neighborhood and sold baked goods.  He'd drop them off like a milk person would, but you could also go and buy something from him, like a cookie or a hot cross bun (for some reason this what I remember are the hot cross buns with icing and raisins) as if he were an ice cream person.  

Sadly, we moved, so my memories of this are not clear, but I would love to have someone like that in my neighborhood now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, katilac said:

My cousin, who is a lovely person that I love very much, gave all of her kids names that start with K. When all of the names would typically start with C 😄

Kriste! That’s krazy! 

• Haha 4

I want a milk person! 

We get raw milk from a local farmer, but alas no delivery! Just a gallon a week since Ds is our only big milk-drinker.

If we need more, we buy from a local dairy (grass fed, cows have names etc.), but they don’t  deliver either. It’s a family farm and has been in the dairy business over 150 years. They have awesome chocolate milk too! Full fat. Super fun field trip.

15 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

When I was a little kid we had a man who drove around our neighborhood and sold baked goods.  He'd drop them off like a milk person would, but you could also go and buy something from him, like a cookie or a hot cross bun (for some reason this what I remember are the hot cross buns with icing and raisins) as if he were an ice cream person.  

Sadly, we moved, so my memories of this are not clear, but I would love to have someone like that in my neighborhood now. 

this just reminded me - we had a Charlies Chips company that delivred I think, cookies and potato chips.

Edit - Charles Chips - they still exist but not with their own trucks anymore https://charleschips.com/ 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

What do you guys think of the gender neutral term dairy deliverer?

Literally, while I was filing documents at work, I thought, “Dairy Deliverer - that’s what we should call them.” I had this thought while looking at a file from the National Association of Letter Carriers. I wonder if they used to be called the National Association of Mailmen. 

• Like 2

We got milk delivered when I was a kid. I can still picture the shattered glass and milky explosion one gets from dropping the glass half gallon on the tile entry floor.

We also had a vegetable guy, Mickey, I think. He would drive his van up and park and then walk to all the nearby houses, open the front door and yell, "VEGETABLES!"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

this just reminded me - we had a Charlies Chips company that delivred I think, cookies and potato chips.

Edit - Charles Chips - they still exist but not with their own trucks anymore https://charleschips.com/ 

I never understood this. Even as a child, I was like, dude, you can buy cookies and potato chips at the grocery store, lol. It's not like getting snacks delivered saved you a trip, either. What was the lure? 

1 hour ago, katilac said:

I never understood this. Even as a child, I was like, dude, you can buy cookies and potato chips at the grocery store, lol. It's not like getting snacks delivered saved you a trip, either. What was the lure? 

It really is a weird business model! But I remember having that tin - my mom kept it on top of the fridge I think, probably because it didn't fit anywhere else in our tiny kitchen. 

My grandparents lived in New Orleans and got milk and potato chips delivered. I thought that was AMAZING as a kid.

I get dairy delivered! But it comes with a box of produce. Local place, mostly local produce, local eggs and milk and a fresh loaf of bread from a local bakery once a week. It's coming tomorrow.

• Like 1